Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Scholarships  (Read 26421 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Scholarships
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2017, 10:17:39 AM »
Like white on rice. Houston is generally A&M territory over TU territory. They won't give up without a fight. If we don't get the 5th official visit, I think TAMU might.

Gotcha.  Thanks for the update.  Try to sabotage that................. without risking your job!

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2017, 10:19:18 AM »
Was not. But if Wojo comes down for one of his high school games this year I might have to make an appearance. I'll deck myself out in blue and gold.

Well its seems there will be an opening to replace Diener. 
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2017, 10:57:57 AM »
Well its seems there will be an opening to replace Diener.

Ha! And give up my scoop membership? Never!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2017, 11:53:45 AM »
Yep. Remember, Wojo is a blueprint guy. He's trying to sell Grimes on the idea that he is the final piece to a beautiful puzzle. "Quentin, I've got an all Big East PG, I've got brutes in the post, I've got sharpshooting wings....now all I need is a 2 guard who can put the ball on the floor and score. You are that 2 guard."

I don't know, but... with Grimes listed as a PG by most, it very well could be that he sees himself as an NBA PG in the future, and therefore, he could be turned off by the prospect of being that "2 guard who can put the ball on the floor and score", instead wanting to be the primary ball handler in college.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2017, 12:14:37 PM »
I don't know, but... with Grimes listed as a PG by most, it very well could be that he sees himself as an NBA PG in the future, and therefore, he could be turned off by the prospect of being that "2 guard who can put the ball on the floor and score", instead wanting to be the primary ball handler in college.

http://baylor.247sports.com/Article/Checking-in-With-Five-Star-Quentin-Grimes-Texas-Kansas-Arizona-B-105317752

In this recent interview he talks about being a combo guard, a scorer, and playing the 1 or the 2.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2017, 12:17:16 PM »
Like white on rice. Houston is generally A&M territory over TU territory. They won't give up without a fight. If we don't get the 5th official visit, I think TAMU might.

Subtle, but always well played.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2017, 12:47:08 PM »
Ha! And give up my scoop membership? Never!

Wisdom is wonderful.  Thanks for staying.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2017, 01:13:57 PM »
Doesnt even mention Morrow or Bailey, who are both really good.  We could be scary good next year, with or without Grimes.

Does anyone think that if Grimes decides to come to MU, long shot I know, that Bailey does not show up?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2017, 01:20:55 PM »
Does anyone think that if Grimes decides to come to MU, long shot I know, that Bailey does not show up?
I think Bailey will show up.

My sense is that there is a possibility that  Froling will go pro in Australia. He was already on one of their version of the D League teams there so he is well known. One of his considerations before he transferred was looking into the possibility of going pro over there. Obviously nothing happened in that regard  most likely because of him being out of shape, which he clearly stated was a priority for him going forward.  Clearly he has lost weight and is working hard.  If he shows progress with us  , those doors will immediately open for him.  The pay in Australia s good and  being Australian he has a leg up because they want locals on the team. Not saying this will happen , but it is possible.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2017, 01:27:03 PM »
I think Bailey will show up.

My sense is that there is a possibility that  Froling will go pro in Australia. He was already on one of their version of the D League teams there so he is well known. One of his considerations before he transferred was looking into the possibility of going pro over there. Obviously nothing happened in that regard  most likely because of him being out of shape, which he clearly stated was a priority for him going forward.  Clearly he has lost weight and is working hard.  If he shows progress with us  , those doors will immediately open for him.  The pay in Australia s good and  being Australian he has a leg up because they want locals on the team. Not saying this will happen , but it is possible.

The pay in Australia is OK but not great.  He can always go back to that.  If he wants to play in the NBA he's better sticking it out here.

There is always roster turnover.  You can make the case for a lot of guys.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2017, 01:27:25 PM »

Not to speculate, but it is far more likely that either Elliot or John are unhappy with their limited role next season that they chose to find greener pastures than Bailey not showing up or anyone going pro. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2017, 01:29:03 PM »
I can see that but then MU took a kid for one semester which is ridiculous.  Guess anything can happen.  Then it would have to be 1 of the freshman, as the upper
class is not going anywhere.  It will interesting, lets see if Wojo can get him on campus.  That new arena will be impressive.  he could leave a mark on the program.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2017, 01:31:24 PM »
Not to speculate, but it is far more likely that either Elliot or John are unhappy with their limited role next season that they chose to find greener pastures than Bailey not showing up or anyone going pro.

Elliott will see playing time since I am not sold on Cheatham, and John will get time the first 10 games as Froling wll be out still.  So those 2 both will get an opportunity.
Eke must know he needs work, so it would come down to Cain.  I see it differently.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2017, 01:39:05 PM »
Elliott will see playing time since I am not sold on Cheatham, and John will get time the first 10 games as Froling wll be out still.  So those 2 both will get an opportunity.
Eke must know he needs work, so it would come down to Cain.  I see it differently.
Ike , Cain, Elliot and John are our future stars. None of those guys are going anywhere.

It really comes down to Haanif doing an STjr,  Froling going pro, Sacar not working out as planned or Bailey not showing up. I think Markus is a four year guy, unless of course he repeats last years shooting performance, in which case  case he could go Pro.  Sam and Heldt are core players. 
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2017, 01:47:00 PM »
Elliott will see playing time since I am not sold on Cheatham

Unless you are Wojo, Elliott's playing time will have nothing to do with your views on Cheatham. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2017, 01:47:32 PM »
Ike is very raw and Elliot is a twig. No way im touting them as future stars yet. There isnt much room for Ike after Froling gets back for at least two years. Anyone remember Aaron Durley?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2017, 01:47:42 PM »

Yah I meant to say Elliot and Eke.  Not John.  I think Cain and John will be in the rotation this year.  Less convinced on Elliot and Eke.  Though Eke will definitely get some time early in the season.  I suspect everyone will play against non-con cupcakes.  The BE season is when it the rotation will get trimmed, and history suggests that someone won't like it.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2017, 01:48:58 PM »
Ike , Cain, Elliot and John are our future stars. None of those guys are going anywhere.

It really comes down to Haanif doing an STjr,  Froling going pro, Sacar not working out as planned or Bailey not showing up. I think Markus is a four year guy, unless of course he repeats last years shooting performance, in which case  case he could go Pro.  Sam and Heldt are core players.

Sacar is pretty much stuck until after his junior year (two more seasons).  If he transfers before then, he burns a year of eligibility. Doubt he does that, and I actually think he is going to be very good this year.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2017, 01:54:44 PM »
Sacar is pretty much stuck until after his junior year (two more seasons).  If he transfers before then, he burns a year of eligibility. Doubt he does that, and I actually think he is going to be very good this year.
I think he is going to be good as well. I am just saying in the low probability case if for some reason he didn't work out as planned ,which in effect means he is a fringe D1 player, he could go D2 and finish somewhere else without losing the year.   

I remember a few years back a guy from Michigan State actually dropped down to D3. Again 
            ---Al McGuire

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2017, 02:31:35 PM »
Let's see if they get Grimes, then it will be the staff who gets the axe.  Lots of time to decided that.  A coach can sit a kid, and force the kid out if he sees no playing time, which is best for the kid to leave.  Tough love, no different than Goldman Sachs or GE, they hire young kids and the the bottom feeder gets the axe.  My next
door neighbors son at GS just got the axe.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2017, 03:02:27 PM »
Isn't this speculation?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2017, 03:06:22 PM »
Isn't this speculation?

Obviously.  Basically saying I have do not have any inside info, but if anyone is going to transfer to create a spot from Grimes, Eke and Elliot would seem like the most likely candidates.  Obviously a lot of ball to play between now and then, and these things tend to take care of themselves.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2017, 03:11:19 PM »
Dealing with the implications of "if we land Grimes" is a really big "if." That said, competition is a good thing.

Think back to a year ago, before the season started. A lot of posters assumed that Traci Carter had the keys to the offense. He looked quick and confident in the open practice. When the season started, his numbers were up almost across the board: ORtg, eFG%, ARate, 3PT%. (Turnovers were also down slightly, but still way too high at 26.8%.)

But now he was competing against Markus Howard, who earned 2 gold medals playing for USA basketball. And Andrew Rowsey, who finished 27th in the nation in scoring average at UNC-Asheville. So while Traci improved his game, his minutes dropped significantly and he decided to take his talents elsewhere.

As much as I liked Traci, I doubt we'd have made the NCAAs if he was our starting point guard last season. A player like Grimes could be an equally important catalyst for the team.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2017, 03:41:33 PM »
Obviously.  Basically saying I have do not have any inside info, but if anyone is going to transfer to create a spot from Grimes, Eke and Elliot would seem like the most likely candidates.  Obviously a lot of ball to play between now and then, and these things tend to take care of themselves.
Elliot knew who could play guard on the team when he committed. Eke has been over recruited with John, Froling & Morrow.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2017, 07:04:20 PM »
Elliot knew who could play guard on the team when he committed. Eke has been over recruited with John, Froling & Morrow.
Ike and Elliot are our future. These two kids are hyper athletic and going to be great players for us.
            ---Al McGuire

feedback