Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Matta out at Ohio State--who's in?  (Read 49937 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Matta out at Ohio State--who's in?
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2017, 03:50:48 PM »
It does. I don't think Groggy McD is going anywhere. Still wouldn't be the first time a coach has said "I'm not interested in job opening x"....a week before accepting job opening x

True.

The day Lou Holtz left Minnesota for ND, the headline on Sid Hartman's Star Tribune column was: "Holtz might leave Gophers for Notre Dame, but I don't think so." Hartman's source was unquestionably Holtz. It was that day that everybody knew Sid officially had lost all influence in the Twin Cities. The end of an error!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2017, 04:05:35 PM »
Thad Matta is helping with the coaching search.  What an odd situation.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2017, 04:12:06 PM »
Bobby Carpenter‏Verified account @Bcarp3    15m 15 minutes ago
More
Looking like it could be Chris Holtmann of Butler as the next OSU Men's Basketball coach. If all goes well could be done soon

Going from one big East coach to another?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2017, 04:15:37 PM »
Bobby Carpenter‏Verified account @Bcarp3    15m 15 minutes ago
More
Looking like it could be Chris Holtmann of Butler as the next OSU Men's Basketball coach. If all goes well could be done soon

Going from one big East coach to another?

Don't do it, Chris!!!
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2017, 04:22:41 PM »
Don't do it, Chris!!!

Please do it.  I like Holtman but don't like the Butler fan base.  I loved Stevens too.  I would like to dislike their whole program.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2017, 04:23:32 PM »
Please do it.  I like Holtman but don't like the Butler fan base.  I loved Stevens too.  I would like to dislike their whole program.

I want what is best for our league. 

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2017, 04:24:10 PM »
Hoiberg to Butler
Crean to the Bulls

« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 04:26:28 PM by hdog1017 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2017, 04:25:31 PM »
Holtmann can be replaced. Butler has done it before and can do it again.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #133 on: June 08, 2017, 05:29:19 PM »

No doubt. Doesn't mean I want him to leave.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2017, 06:59:45 PM »
There is the law of averages.  Butler has hit some home runs, but....   I would look at Lavell Jordan at UWM if Holtmann leaves.  He is a Butler guy.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2017, 07:01:16 PM »
No doubt. Doesn't mean I want him to leave.

Agree.  I suspect Butler would recover, but the more BE schools are used as stepping stones, the more it feeds the misperception that it is a mid-major league.  No coach stays forever anymore, but more turnaround isn't a good thing.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2017, 07:50:40 PM »
Agree.  I suspect Butler would recover, but the more BE schools are used as stepping stones, the more it feeds the misperception that it is a mid-major league.  No coach stays forever anymore, but more turnaround isn't a good thing.
In general, i agree.  But.......this also seems like an issue of being bias based on your perspective as a fan. 

I just looked at the coaching tenure by conference (i'm lazy and only looked at major conferences alphabetically close to BE) and:

- Big 1012 = 5 of the 10 teams have coaches whose first season is 2015-16 or later.  5 of 10 2013-14 or later

- Big1410 = 5 of the 14 teams have coaches whose first season is 2015-16 or later.  7 of 14 are 2013-14 or later

- BEast = 3 of 10 have coaches whose first season is 2015-16 or later.  5 of 10 are 2013-14 or later.

Some have more openings due to firing/move to NBA/move to other NCAA team than others but if we look at it objectively we're on par with them.

wiki source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_basketball_coaches

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2017, 08:33:31 PM »
In general, i agree.  But.......this also seems like an issue of being bias based on your perspective as a fan. 

I just looked at the coaching tenure by conference (i'm lazy and only looked at major conferences alphabetically close to BE) and:

- Big 1012 = 5 of the 10 teams have coaches whose first season is 2015-16 or later.  5 of 10 2013-14 or later

- Big1410 = 5 of the 14 teams have coaches whose first season is 2015-16 or later.  7 of 14 are 2013-14 or later

- BEast = 3 of 10 have coaches whose first season is 2015-16 or later.  5 of 10 are 2013-14 or later.

Some have more openings due to firing/move to NBA/move to other NCAA team than others but if we look at it objectively we're on par with them.

wiki source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_basketball_coaches

You missed my point.  I wasn't talking about "more" turnover relative to other conferences; I was saying it's preferable for the BE to have the smallest possible turnover as an absolute number.  Why?  Our schools are generally smaller and don't have football...so that we have always had to deal with the perception that we could be mid-major.  We have a different bar to overcome in the public eye.

Thus - by saying I don't want "more" turnover, I was saying I'd rather see 1 new coach per season than 2, 2 rather than 3, or whatever.

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2017, 09:06:30 PM »
You missed my point.  I wasn't talking about "more" turnover relative to other conferences; I was saying it's preferable for the BE to have the smallest possible turnover as an absolute number.  Why?  Our schools are generally smaller and don't have football...so that we have always had to deal with the perception that we could be mid-major.  We have a different bar to overcome in the public eye.

Thus - by saying I don't want "more" turnover, I was saying I'd rather see 1 new coach per season than 2, 2 rather than 3, or whatever.
my counter "you missed my point" is that the "perception" that the BE could be mid-major is only held by those who read too much into ESPN's love for ACC and SEC, live where/listen to UW fans that tell them that, or have an inferiority complex regarding bigger schools with football. 

Aside from the above situations, there is no objective or subjective reason to consider BE basketball anything but a power conference. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2017, 09:18:44 PM »
A coach leaving Butler for one of the richest programs in college sports is not going to leave the perception of the BE a mid major - especially when a coach from the same conference turned them down and another was apparently not interested.

I mean, when Bill Self left Illinois for Kansas, did you feel the same way?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2017, 10:14:14 PM »
I mean, when Bill Self left Illinois for Kansas, did you feel the same way?

Ohio State, in basketball terms, isn't in the same zip code as Kansas. I'm not sure they're even in the same state.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2017, 10:32:55 PM »
Ohio State, in basketball terms, isn't in the same zip code as Kansas. I'm not sure they're even in the same state.

You're right.

Ohio State position in the Big Ten (program wise) is similar to Butler's position in the Big East. You move from Butler to OSU because of greater resources and the perception that the BIG is a better (?) and more prestigious (true) conference.

Kansas is miles above Illinois as a program - perceptions about conferences and other ancillary issues are beside the point.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2017, 10:36:53 PM »
my counter "you missed my point" is that the "perception" that the BE could be mid-major is only held by those who read too much into ESPN's love for ACC and SEC, live where/listen to UW fans that tell them that, or have an inferiority complex regarding bigger schools with football. 

Aside from the above situations, there is no objective or subjective reason to consider BE basketball anything but a power conference.

The underlined situation above was exactly the type of thing I was referring to.  Like it or not, some people still watch ESPN and believe what they say.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #143 on: June 08, 2017, 11:18:39 PM »

Yes....but they can probably outspend Kansas if they so chose. An opening at Ohio State will always have big names linked to it because they simply have enough money to make anyone at least pick up the phone. The resources and fertile recruiting ground makes it at least a top 25 job in the country IMHO. If Holtman leaves Butler for OSU, I don't think that reflects badly on the league at all. I do think McDermott turning down OSU to stay at Creighton reflects well on the Big East.
TAMU

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #144 on: June 08, 2017, 11:27:38 PM »
The underlined situation above was exactly the type of thing I was referring to.  Like it or not, some people still watch ESPN and believe what they say.
That fair - there is an echo chamber around "i follow a mega University and therefore only listen to pro mega University news".  Interestingly I see very little of it and i live in KC which is obviously KU/SEC land - that may skew my POV on the impact.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #145 on: June 09, 2017, 12:44:58 AM »
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/butler/2017/06/09/chris-holtmann-talks-become-ohio-states-new-coach/383221001/

Several national pundits are pretty sure Holtmann is the guy. Will be interesting to see what the fallout will be. Butler's top 2017 recruit, Kyle Young (#77 per 247) was reportedly down to Butler and Ohio State before picking Butler. Could easily see him following Holtmann if this ends up being true.
TAMU

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #146 on: June 09, 2017, 06:34:37 AM »
I am past worrying about rooting for all BE teams to do as well as they possibly can and the BE to show well to prove itself. The BE has proven itself. It has a national title. It's put 70% of its teams into the NCAA Tourney. It's had dominating non-conference seasons and wins. It has a huge TV contract. The BE does not need to prove anything anymore. The only people that think it needs to prove anything are the fans of the teams in the conference. Anybody who says it's a midmajor conference is just saying it to get those people riled up.

The fact of the matter is football schools will be more attractive even to basketball coaches a majority of the time. Football is where the money is. Football drives all NCAA decisions. Basketball only schools are going to lose good coaches to football schools. That's just the nature of NCAA athletics and it isn't changing. But the BE has no control of that and has proven itself to be anything but a midmajor. I'm not one bit worried about a coach leaving a BE school for the B1G and what it does to the reputation of the conference. Holtman leaving Butler for OSU changes nobody's opinion of the BE except for the chicken little BE fans. For anyone else it's just common sense. More money, better resources, better job. Simple. Just like if Jay Wright moved on and Nova hired Clemson's basketball coach to take his place it doesn't mean the ACC sucks and can't keep its coaches and is a stepping stone, midmajor conference. It means Villanova's basketball coaching job is a better job than Clemson's. Simple as that.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 06:36:32 AM by wadesworld »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #147 on: June 09, 2017, 07:34:21 AM »
Alford is not leaving. His family loves Southern California.

maybe so, but if they made it attractive enough, they could make socal  a lot closer to ohio state than it is.  maybe plant some palm trees in his back yard ;D increased travel allowances, etc.  plus he'd get away from LAVAR and his clown show and be back in the big 10 or whatever they call it now
don't...don't don't don't don't

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #148 on: June 09, 2017, 08:21:29 AM »
He gowne.

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #149 on: June 09, 2017, 08:28:29 AM »
8 year $3.1 million/per year deal. Butler is now on the clock.