Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Top 5 MU Players of All Time  (Read 28692 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Top 5 MU Players of All Time
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2017, 03:09:19 AM »
Quite surprised by how easily the word great has been referenced to guys that I believe are not even close to be being great. MU has had a lot of good players, a nice number of very good players and about a handful and a half of great players.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2017, 04:34:01 AM »
Quite surprised by how easily the word great has been referenced to guys that I believe are not even close to be being great. MU has had a lot of good players, a nice number of very good players and about a handful and a half of great players.

Goose is right on the mark. The great ones are guys that can make our team and our program elite.

The very good ones are instrumental in getting us in the tournament.

The good ones have great statistics, played aspects of the game well or had some other memorable characteristic.

In short, it's about the team. DWade, Butch and Bo weren't just prolific scorers. They were essential cogs to Final Four teams -- Bo twice. Lucas was instrumental in getting us to the 1974 National Championship game.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2017, 06:51:29 AM »
I hope you realize that McNeal, Hayward, and James played 4 years to Thompson's 3 years.

None of them could touch George as a scorer.

I am aware. Jerel played 130 games, Lazar 138, Thompson only 87. Just pointing out Hayward was omitted in another post.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2017, 09:18:41 AM »
dgies9156

IMO, MU has had great players that would have been great anywhere they went. Have also had players that might have been great if they went elsewhere. The great one's are noticed even by casual fans. I am tough grader and many of the post Al names mentioned do not register as great or even very good to me.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2017, 11:44:25 AM »
Strictly College--We had many-- In the early years 50's and 60's--Bob Wolf, Terry Rand, Mike Moran, Russ Wittberger, Tom Flynn, Ron Glaser, and Don Kojis. Check the records. Others I liked  and belong on 2nd tier were
Trevor, Powell, Damon Key, Sam Worthen and Gary Brell. Think Bernard
Toone would have been with Chones and Lucas if he would have applied
himself. Memories.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2017, 11:58:25 AM »
Jared McNeal #1 scorer in MU history
Dom James #3 all-time (George Thompson #2)

Interesting that they have gotten almost no mention, especially Dom James.

Jerel wasn't the best player on his team. James was better. Lazar was better for 3 years. Matthews would have been better for 4 years, if not for the setup under Crean. Jerel was a volume scorer, shot us out of as many games as he kept them in. Was a good defensive player, who also cost us the 09 nova game on a back door cut when he was caught ball watching.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2017, 12:24:56 PM »
Putting Trevor Powell and Gary Brell in same sentence should ban that person from attending games for a decade.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2017, 01:26:08 PM »
Jared McNeal #1 scorer in MU history
Dom James #3 all-time (George Thompson #2)

Interesting that they have gotten almost no mention, especially Dom James.

How has no one pointed out that Marquette's leading scorer who left less than a decade ago (so fresh in the memory) is apparently easy to confuse with the Subway guy? Jared? Seriously?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2017, 01:29:21 PM »
Jerel wasn't the best player on his team. James was better. Lazar was better for 3 years. Matthews would have been better for 4 years, if not for the setup under Crean. Jerel was a volume scorer, shot us out of as many games as he kept them in. Was a good defensive player, who also cost us the 09 nova game on a back door cut when he was caught ball watching.
Remember that nova game. That defensive lapse by McNeal cost us big time and should never have occurred at that point by a supposed good defender. He was hugely overrated as a defensive player.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2017, 01:33:42 PM »
Putting Trevor Powell and Gary Brell in same sentence should ban that person from attending games for a decade.
Now C'mon Goose. Trevor Powell and Gary Brell and Polonowski all played for MU. All in the same sentence. No offense meant with that sentence.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2017, 01:43:21 PM »

Trevor Powell was a good player on some really bad Marquette teams.  Averaged 11+/6+ in all four years.  Lead the nation in eFG as a senior.  Top ten in rebounds (and per game) and blocks (and per game) his junior and senior years.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2017, 02:06:48 PM »
Remember that nova game. That defensive lapse by McNeal cost us big time and should never have occurred at that point by a supposed good defender. He was hugely overrated as a defensive player.
Yes, had the same tendencies as JaJuan in jumping the ball.  Normally, DJ and Wes could cover for him though (except for that Nova game in the BET).

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2017, 02:14:04 PM »
To put a slightly different spin on this topic. Here is how I rate the top 5 MU players for their combined  MU and NBA Careers
1. D Wade- Tops Lucas on basis of more titles and carried MU Individual Achievements through to next level . 
2. Lucas- One of Top Players at his position for many years and won a title. One of MU Best.
3. Chones  - Was a  consistent top level performer for many years and key performer on an NBA title team.  MU record of 50-1 speaks for itself
4. Butler- Could rise as career progress. MU performance in the upper echelon.
5. Kojis- 2 time NBA All Star validates Superior Collegiate Performance at MU (18.6 p/15.1 r)

Honorable Mention
Wes Matthews- If he gets an NBA title could move up  .  MU performance in the Upper Echelon.
Earl Tatum NBA Career Cut Short by Injury clearly Top 10 at MU
***Glenn Rivers - If Rivers NBA Coaching Career is included with NBA and College he would be top 5
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2017, 02:20:54 PM »
Willie

All played at MU and all appreciated. If you are having discussion on all time greats, the conversation should remain intelligent. Trevor Powell is as much as an all time great as Pat Foley. He was a nice player in the darkest era of MU ball in my lifetime.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2017, 02:24:25 PM »
Willie

All played at MU and all appreciated. If you are having discussion on all time greats, the conversation should remain intelligent. Trevor Powell is as much as an all time great as Pat Foley. He was a nice player in the darkest era of MU ball in my lifetime.
Powell way beyond Foley.  Trevor was a very good player on bad Dukiet teams, that's all.  A guy like him would be very helpful this year.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2017, 02:32:02 PM »

Of course, those of us who saw both guys know the difference.

Kinda like the poster that put Aaron Hutchins in the top 5 while not including Lee or Meminger. Beyond belief. It is not just recency bias - I don't think some people are able to recognize greatness.

You talked about the difference between good and great players in a post. It is shocking how many people have no concept of the difference.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2017, 02:33:55 PM »
How has no one pointed out that Marquette's leading scorer who left less than a decade ago (so fresh in the memory) is apparently easy to confuse with the Subway guy? Jared? Seriously?

That was just Heisy. We expect that from him. ;D

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2017, 02:36:48 PM »
Trevor Powell was a good player on some really bad Marquette teams.  Averaged 11+/6+ in all four years.  Lead the nation in eFG as a senior.  Top ten in rebounds (and per game) and blocks (and per game) his junior and senior years.

I think you made his point.

Brell had better scoring and rebounding numbers while on the floor with Chones, Meminger, and Lackey, among others.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2017, 03:05:44 PM »
Question was --"Top 5 Players at MU" strictly college.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2017, 03:16:20 PM »
1.  Lee (don't see how this is a debate.  Final Four Most Outstanding Player for national champs in 77, National Player of the Year in 78)
2.  Wade (Fantastic all around player)
3.  Ellis (Key player on two Final Four teams is hard to ignore)
4.  Thompson (Based on what so many here have said)
5.  Lucas (Best player on a Final Four Team)
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2017, 03:37:48 PM »
1.  Lee (don't see how this is a debate.  Final Four Most Outstanding Player for national champs in 77, National Player of the Year in 78)
2.  Wade (Fantastic all around player)
3.  Ellis (Key player on two Final Four teams is hard to ignore)
4.  Thompson (Based on what so many here have said)
5.  Lucas (Best player on a Final Four Team)
I would have to go with Dean the Dream over Brute Force. George was a very good player who was important in opening recruiting avenues for Al, but Dean was simply better.  Loved them both.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2017, 03:52:16 PM »
Earl Tatum

Of course we are talking 5 greatest players ever to play at MU. I have no idea how professional performance falls into this conversation.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2017, 04:00:32 PM »
I think you made his point.

Brell had better scoring and rebounding numbers while on the floor with Chones, Meminger, and Lackey, among others.

I get that.  But let's not act like he was some scrub.  For instance, if he would have been on the O'Neill S16 team, I think he could have slid into the Damon Key role pretty well. 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #98 on: June 01, 2017, 04:28:04 PM »

I get that.  But let's not act like he was some scrub.  For instance, if he would have been on the O'Neill S16 team, I think he could have slid into the Damon Key role pretty well.

You're right. I didn't mean to denigrate Powell. Just pointing out that Brell was a better player.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #99 on: June 01, 2017, 04:28:09 PM »
In the three years Meminger ran the team:

78 wins 9 losses

Home: 46 wins 0 losses

Case Closed!

feedback