collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by JTJ3
[Today at 06:20:57 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: ESPN Layoffs  (Read 95370 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: ESPN Layoffs
« Reply #225 on: April 28, 2017, 08:33:16 AM »
first off, it's absolutely not about any phobia! come on tamu, you know that anytime you throw that one out there along with a few others, they are conversation stoppers for many.  once again, people do not care which side of the plate he bats from.  with ms, it was always about his sexual proclivities FIRST.  oh, and by the way he was a football player available in the draft.  it became a hot ticking time bomb in their(espn) quest to ask each team if they would take ms were he available when their pick was up. 

anytime a business tries to go "political", you are going to alienate approximately 50 % of your customers.  jackie robinson vs michael sam?  tick tick tick...espn is supposed to have some very smart people, eyyn'a?  back in the 50's-60's, i agree that introducing an african american to any major league sport was risky.  if ms could sack a qb, stuff a rb(absolutely no puns intended ::)), intercept passes like jr hit the ball, the gay part would have gone away very quickly as well.  but we all know how that played out...and once again, i don't think people really carted where mr robinson showered.  MOST people are well beyond the "gay" thing today-we are well into the 2000's here.  back in the 90's-2000, yeah, this could have been more of a "sticky whicket", but ms was still not a good football player.  AND, once again, MOST people came to espn for SPORTS. if jr was both gay and black?  now ya got yourself a scoop

this was just ONE example of how espn facked up-we could go on and on, but then i'm pretty sure that would trigger a lock down.  that would be unfortunate as this has been a pretty good/informative thread-just trying to keep it "real"  :)

I didn't say it was about homophobia.  I said if it's not about homophobia I don't get it.

And if "most people are past the gay thing" than why was this political?  What 50% was going to be pissed off by it? Shouldn't this barrier being broken been something most people were happy for and wanted need about?

Of course the news talked about his "sexual proclivities" first. That's the only part of him thats interesting. Other players taken same round as him aren't getting any stories about their talent. You do get stories about unique characteristics of them as people.  Do you also get frustrated when people talk about how Mixon punched a woman,  or the guy who got picked up by the falcons last night made a promise to his grandma to make the NFL? Shouldn't sports just be about sports? Michael Sam's unique characteristic was being the first openly gay player to be drafted.  And frankly,  that's a lot more important than any other of those stories
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #226 on: April 28, 2017, 08:36:44 AM »
The coverage didn't bother me, but you do see the minor difference in actual talent between Jackie Robinson and Michael Sam right?

Well obviously. But why does that matter? Both were the first of their respective identities to play a sport at the highest level in the USA. That's the important part.  Robinson was great but frankly,  none of us would remember him if he was the second black man to play major league baseball.
TAMU

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #227 on: April 28, 2017, 08:50:03 AM »
Well obviously. But why does that matter? Both were the first of their respective identities to play a sport at the highest level in the USA. That's the important part.  Robinson was great but frankly,  none of us would remember him if he was the second black man to play major league baseball.

http://baseballhall.org/hof/doby-larry

uncle zeffy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #228 on: April 28, 2017, 08:50:38 AM »
none of us would remember him if he was the second black man to play major league baseball.

You do realize Jackie wasn't the first African American to play Major League Baseball right?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #229 on: April 28, 2017, 08:58:30 AM »
You do realize Jackie wasn't the first African American to play Major League Baseball right?

I honestly don't. Even if he wasn't the actual first, he's known as the first. That's the only reason we remember him. If he put up the exact same numbers but was a white player or he wasn't known as the first black player, no one would know who he was.

http://baseballhall.org/hof/doby-larry

Never heard of him.
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #230 on: April 28, 2017, 09:00:15 AM »
first off, it's absolutely not about any phobia! come on tamu, you know that anytime you throw that one out there along with a few others, they are conversation stoppers for many.  once again, people do not care which side of the plate he bats from.  with ms, it was always about his sexual proclivities FIRST.  oh, and by the way he was a football player available in the draft.  it became a hot ticking time bomb in their(espn) quest to ask each team if they would take ms were he available when their pick was up. 

anytime a business tries to go "political", you are going to alienate approximately 50 % of your customers.  jackie robinson vs michael sam?  tick tick tick...espn is supposed to have some very smart people, eyyn'a?  back in the 50's-60's, i agree that introducing an african american to any major league sport was risky.  if ms could sack a qb, stuff a rb(absolutely no puns intended ::)), intercept passes like jr hit the ball, the gay part would have gone away very quickly as well.  but we all know how that played out...and once again, i don't think people really carted where mr robinson showered.  MOST people are well beyond the "gay" thing today-we are well into the 2000's here.  back in the 90's-2000, yeah, this could have been more of a "sticky whicket", but ms was still not a good football player.  AND, once again, MOST people came to espn for SPORTS. if jr was both gay and black?  now ya got yourself a scoop

this was just ONE example of how espn facked up-we could go on and on, but then i'm pretty sure that would trigger a lock down.  that would be unfortunate as this has been a pretty good/informative thread-just trying to keep it "real"  :)

If most people were well passed the "gay thing," there would be more openly gay people in locker rooms.  There aren't.

Comparing him to Jackie Robinson is accurate.  Saying that they are on the same level is not.

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #231 on: April 28, 2017, 09:52:22 AM »
Oh Heisy, you're just not very good at this, are you?

He doesn't understand logic, or how to formulate an argument
Fear makes you dumb.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #232 on: April 28, 2017, 10:39:22 AM »
He doesn't understand logic, or how to formulate an argument
Well, yes, both true, but specifically in this case he was trying to copy something--quite badly-- that he had seen used elsewhere.  Unfortunately he clearly has no concept of what is or isn't sexist, so he simply looked like a fool trying to throw shade in a situation that he completely misunderstood.  Not surprising.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #233 on: April 28, 2017, 01:01:26 PM »
Well, yes, both true, but specifically in this case he was trying to copy something--quite badly-- that he had seen used elsewhere.  Unfortunately he clearly has no concept of what is or isn't sexist, so he simply looked like a fool trying to throw shade in a situation that he completely misunderstood.  Not surprising.

"airhead" is a sexist term.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #235 on: April 28, 2017, 01:46:38 PM »
Linda Cohn says politics hurting ESPN.

http://www.totalprosports.com/2017/04/28/sportscenter-anchor-linda-cohn-agrees-politics-is-hurting-espn/

Cohn has kept herself up nice over the years, still very appealing.

http://liverampup.com/entertainment/multi-talented-linda-cohn-35-years-in-journalism-her-married-life-divorce-ex-husband-and-boyfriend.html

Sultan said she doesn't know what she is talking about because she is an "airhead."  I've been told that "airhead" is not a sexist term by all the "elders" on this board.

Issue settled, no need to discuss any further.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #236 on: April 28, 2017, 01:48:22 PM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #237 on: April 28, 2017, 01:58:27 PM »

How is it a sexist term?  I think guys can be airheads too.

Stop deflecting.  It's unbecoming.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #238 on: April 28, 2017, 02:04:42 PM »

Speaking of head , which is a good thing....
https://www.amazon.com/Cohn-Head-No-Holds-Barred-Account-Breaking-Into/dp/1599211130
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #239 on: April 28, 2017, 02:07:51 PM »

I have never heard a guy being described as an airhead except in very poorly-done expletive dubbing, where it is used instead of "a$$hole".  See:  High Fidelity
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #240 on: April 28, 2017, 02:09:44 PM »

If most people were well passed the "gay thing," there would be more openly gay people in locker rooms.  There aren't.

Comparing him to Jackie Robinson is accurate.  Saying that they are on the same level is not.

that's the thing about "gay" people.  most people just do not care including gay people themselves.  they prefer it's not even discussed.  what they do behind closed doors is their business, not espn's, not yours. not mine.  just live.  i know a few gay people who shutter every time there is any news singling them out because it's usually perverted crap that makes them ALL look like out of control sexual perverts that only get off on hot wax dripped on...they just want to live, work, have relationships, laugh, cry and be happy.  oh, and by the way, brian boitano came out of the closet ?-(
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #241 on: April 28, 2017, 02:15:50 PM »
that's the thing about "gay" people.  most people just do not care including gay people themselves.  they prefer it's not even discussed.  what they do behind closed doors is their business, not espn's, not yours. not mine.  just live.  i know a few gay people who shutter every time there is any news singling them out because it's usually perverted crap that makes them ALL look like out of control sexual perverts that only get off on hot wax dripped on...they just want to live, work, have relationships, laugh, cry and be happy.  oh, and by the way, brian boitano came out of the closet ?-(

Gay people are gay even when they aren't behind closed doors you know.  And I am glad you feel free to speak about what most gay people want.

Here is why it is important:

http://www.theroot.com/michael-sam-what-he-means-to-young-gay-black-men-1790875635

A 2012 study reported by the Black Youth Project found that 43 percent of black gay youths have thought about or attempted suicide. Twenty-six percent reported being the target of anti-gay bullying, and 90 percent listed “family acceptance” as the main factor that could make life more bearable.

Last year a Rutgers University study about African-American gay youths concluded that given the disparate social challenges black boys face in American society, they often feel that being gay only serves to further hurt the image of African-American men. “Gay black males struggle to cope with intersecting oppressions—racism, homophobia and sexism,” explained Michael LaSala, director of the Master of Social Work program at Rutgers. LaSala highlighted research showing that black men and boys experienced more pressure to be hypermasculine—a trait characterized by the absence of overt emotions or the appearance of vulnerability.

Which makes Sam’s ascendance all the more poignant. By simply being himself, he serves as living proof that an African-American gay man need not be divorced from his inherent masculinity. And he need not hide in the shadows for fear of being found out.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 02:18:14 PM by Sultan of Slap O' Fivin' »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #242 on: April 28, 2017, 02:22:49 PM »

16 Derogatory Words Used To Describe Women

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/16-derogatory-words-used-to-describe-women

1. Airhead, n.

Usually refers to someone, male or female, who is simple-minded and vapid. Now, mainly thanks to the media it’s come to be synonymous with the a type of woman, who aspires to dye her hair yellow (If you've read Bossypants you'll understand why I used yellow and not blonde) with extensive knowledge about celebrity life. Uhh dying my hair and having extensive knowledge about Hollywood celebrity life doesn't make me an airhead.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #243 on: April 28, 2017, 02:26:14 PM »
16 Derogatory Words Used To Describe Women

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/16-derogatory-words-used-to-describe-women

1. Airhead, n.

Usually refers to someone, male or female, who is simple-minded and vapid. Now, mainly thanks to the media it’s come to be synonymous with the a type of woman, who aspires to dye her hair yellow (If you've read Bossypants you'll understand why I used yellow and not blonde) with extensive knowledge about celebrity life. Uhh dying my hair and having extensive knowledge about Hollywood celebrity life doesn't make me an airhead.

So your proof is something that says straight out that it usually refers to a male or female?

LOL...thanks for proving my point.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #244 on: April 28, 2017, 02:46:25 PM »
Only 175 days until Madness.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #245 on: April 28, 2017, 02:50:25 PM »

So your proof is something that says straight out that it usually refers to a male or female?

Did you read the second sentence?

Face it, you do this all the time, you dismiss people solely because they disagree with you by arguing they are unqualified to make such judgement.  In this case, you used a sexist term.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #246 on: April 28, 2017, 02:52:26 PM »

Did you intend for the logic of your point to be that calling a woman a "bitch" is no longer derogatory so long as one uses "bitch" as derogatory term for men as well?

Does your logic also extend to race as well, and if so, exactly how many Chinese must be called "porch monkey" before we can start throwing that one around the general populace again?

History is just as material as context.  Someone around here said something along those lines once upon a time... I think he was from a place called South Wayne or something.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #247 on: April 28, 2017, 03:00:52 PM »
Do you know what non-productive pro athlete ESPN discusses and features a TON - way more than Sam, Jenner and other politically correct types named earlier?

Tim Tebow!

Wow, ESPN, that's soooo political. Trying to get everybody to love Christians and men and whites and heterosexuals. The agenda is so obvious! Liberal media!!!!

I mean, white, hetero, male Christians are ruining this country, with their love of white Christian women, and turkey sandwiches on white bread with mayo, and guns. They've infiltrated our schools, taken over Hollywood, messed with our kids! What has become of this country, anyway?

Tim Tebow ... effen minor-league ballplayer and one of the worst NFL QBs ever ... yet all we get is Tebow, Tebow, Tebow!!!!!!

Absolutely shameless political posturing by ESPN. I'm never watching it again (until something I want to see is on it).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #248 on: April 28, 2017, 03:04:09 PM »
Did you intend for the logic of your point to be that calling a woman a "bitch" is no longer derogatory so long as one uses "bitch" as derogatory term for men as well?

Does your logic also extend to race as well, and if so, exactly how many Chinese must be called "porch monkey" before we can start throwing that one around the general populace again?

Uh....the difference is that *by definition,* "airhead" is a term that is used for males or females.

Mirriam-Webster:
a mindless or stupid person

Dictionary.com:
a scatterbrained, stupid, or simple-minded person; dolt

Oxford English:
A silly or foolish person.

As opposed to "bitch":

Mirriam-Webster:
a lewd or immoral woman
a malicious, spiteful, or overbearing woman —sometimes used as a generalized term of abuse

Dictionary.com:
a malicious, unpleasant, selfish person, especially a woman.
a lewd woman.
Disparaging and Offensive. any woman.

Oxford English:
A spiteful or unpleasant woman.

So are we done here now?  Or do I get to own Heisey and you some more before the weekend comes?  I'm good with the ownage cause it's a Friday afternoon and I'm kinda bored.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #249 on: April 28, 2017, 03:13:05 PM »

As opposed to "bitch":

Mirriam-Webster:
a lewd or immoral woman
a malicious, spiteful, or overbearing woman —sometimes used as a generalized term of abuse

Dictionary.com:
a malicious, unpleasant, selfish person, especially a woman.
a lewd woman.
Disparaging and Offensive. any woman.

Oxford English:
A spiteful or unpleasant woman.

So are we done here now?  Or do I get to own Heisey and you some more before the weekend comes?  I'm good with the ownage cause it's a Friday afternoon and I'm kinda bored.

I doubt that's the complete definition of "bitch".  Nothing about female dogs?
Have some patience, FFS.