collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: ESPN Layoffs  (Read 95395 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: ESPN Layoffs
« Reply #200 on: April 27, 2017, 05:34:12 PM »
I've seen multiple people bring up ESPN's supposed liberal politics and then bring up Jenner's name specifically as an example of the overbearing nature of this issue yet Jenner is a Republican voter who supported Donald Trump.

This is also the same network that hired Rush Limbaugh for reasons that have never been fully clear. And it's also the network that employs Sage Steele, an outspoken conservative voice in the media, in high profile positions.

Both sides can claim political bias from the network but only the chronically aggrieved would latch like a vulture on a massive wave of layoffs to "prove" they, and their way of thinking, are being persecuted.

one example of how people were tuning out of espn the whole michael sam stuff.  read any article they've had on him online, then read the comment section and you see that people do not care about what shower he uses.  they care about sports.  they come to sports stations to watch sports.  they read sports articles to read about sports.  many people gravitate to sports related activities as an escape from all the other b.s.
don't...don't don't don't don't

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #201 on: April 27, 2017, 05:42:04 PM »
I'm amazed this thread has been able to tip-toe the thread locking line so gracefully for this long.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #202 on: April 27, 2017, 06:14:50 PM »
I had forgotten Jenner had won the espy in 2015. That's right about the time I stopped using espn for everything.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #203 on: April 27, 2017, 06:16:20 PM »
Seriously man, get some help.

This is really unhealthy

You're the boy who admires them. Really, really sad.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #204 on: April 27, 2017, 06:22:07 PM »
Jesse Temple gone as well. May be a Badger reporter but he's a good dude. Talked to me a bunch and gave me his contact info.

Ahhh, networking, eh??

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #205 on: April 27, 2017, 06:24:22 PM »
I've seen multiple people bring up ESPN's supposed liberal politics and then bring up Jenner's name specifically as an example of the overbearing nature of this issue yet Jenner is a Republican voter who supported Donald Trump.

This is also the same network that hired Rush Limbaugh for reasons that have never been fully clear. And it's also the network that employs Sage Steele, an outspoken conservative voice in the media, in high profile positions.

ESPNW had a piece up praising a woman who killed a cop, and it had to be taken down when twitter got wind of it.  They also gave tons of coverage to the women's march, and zero coverage of the pro-life march.

Both sides can claim political bias from the network but only the chronically aggrieved would latch like a vulture on a massive wave of layoffs to "prove" they, and their way of thinking, are being persecuted.

Sage Steele is the single Right-leaning on-air personality on ESPN.  And she was demoted to golf coverage.

On the other end of the spectrum you have Kornheiser, Wilbon, Greenberg, Kellerman, S Smith, Jemele Hill, Michael Smith, Sarah Spain, Michelle Beadle, Dan Lebatard, Stu Gotz, Kate Fegan, and Bomani Jones, to name just a few.

ESPNW had a piece up praising a woman who killed a cop, and it had to be taken down today when twitter got wind of it yesterday.  They also gave tons of coverage to the women's march, and zero coverage of the women's pro-life march.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/04/27/espn-poetry-tribute-fugitive-cop-killer/

Regarding Caitlyn/Bruce Jenner, ESPN signaled their immense PC bias when she got the courage award over the girl dying from brain cancer.  A true "what the heck" moment.

The bias is crystal clear.  That doesn't mean it is the reason for the firings.  But it does mean they've chosen a political side.  Heck, the commercials for SC6 use "we aren't going to stick to sports" as a selling point.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 06:38:02 PM by mayfairskatingrink »

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #206 on: April 27, 2017, 06:50:15 PM »

Clearly some cards are uncovered.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #207 on: April 27, 2017, 06:51:33 PM »
I'm glad I don't watch espn anymore.  It seems to make so many people so angry.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #208 on: April 27, 2017, 06:52:08 PM »
I have turned off ESPN on several occasions because they were obviously (annoyingly) telling me how I should think about a given topic.

Then again I stopped watching it for a week plus recently because every time I turned it on they were talking about Lorenzo Ball's moronic dad.  I have also turned it off when they go on and on about a minor league baseball player that once played college football.

If there is a remote chance Chris Berman could make an appearance I will preemptively change the channel. I would rather watch Lawrence Welk reruns than Berman discussing any topic.

Huh, turns out I have a lot of reasons for watching less ESPN.  Live sports and background noise when I'm on the treadmill are the main reasons I do watch it.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #209 on: April 27, 2017, 07:14:11 PM »
it is simply a continuation of Heisy attempting to Make Scoop Great Again

He's a trooper.  He wants to make ND great again too.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #210 on: April 27, 2017, 07:29:42 PM »
Suzy Kolber still on the NFL draft. She has kept her self  up nice all these Years. Joe Namath knew value when he saw it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 07:31:20 PM by Marquette Fan In NY »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #211 on: April 27, 2017, 07:30:58 PM »
Its seems many on here think its entirely cord cutting and not the content.  While clearly the cord cutting is a major driver to deny the change in content coupled with the political leanings to be a big issue is pure denial.  My situation reflects many others.  Im older and still watch satellite tv. 
I was a religious espn watcher for decades sport enter at night, watched their shows etc.  Today i rarely if ever watch sport center.  The political leanings are a slight issue but akin to MTV no longer showing music videos, Sportscenter is no longer a highlight show.  Its one stupid piece after another, regardless of the political slant i tuned in to watch to see who won the games .  The final nail in the coffin was the simply reatrded Scott Van Pelt sportscenter.  Is it a comedy hour or a sports higlight show?  I never thought he was funny and now an hour of his tongue in cheek non- comedy has turned the must see sportscenter into a will not watch for me.   
Im only one guy but it would appear many on this board and in this thread still have cable or satellite and give eapn their $7 a month yet do not tune in to a channel they used to watch alot.  Multiply that across a nation and it is undeniable that the arrogance of espn and the ill conceived notion that they could go away from what orginally brought in their viewership was dead wrong.
Peace out
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #212 on: April 27, 2017, 07:44:27 PM »
Its seems many on here think its entirely cord cutting and not the content.  While clearly the cord cutting is a major driver to deny the change in content coupled with the political leanings to be a big issue is pure denial.  My situation reflects many others.  Im older and still watch satellite tv. 
I was a religious espn watcher for decades sport enter at night, watched their shows etc.  Today i rarely if ever watch sport center.  The political leanings are a slight issue but akin to MTV no longer showing music videos, Sportscenter is no longer a highlight show.  Its one stupid piece after another, regardless of the political slant i tuned in to watch to see who won the games .  The final nail in the coffin was the simply reatrded Scott Van Pelt sportscenter.  Is it a comedy hour or a sports higlight show?  I never thought he was funny and now an hour of his tongue in cheek non- comedy has turned the must see sportscenter into a will not watch for me.   
Im only one guy but it would appear many on this board and in this thread still have cable or satellite and give eapn their $7 a month yet do not tune in to a channel they used to watch alot.  Multiply that across a nation and it is undeniable that the arrogance of espn and the ill conceived notion that they could go away from what orginally brought in their viewership was dead wrong.
Peace out

Well done Chicos Jr. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #213 on: April 27, 2017, 07:54:35 PM »
Peace out

Everyone here is a rabid sports fan so $7/month fo ESPN is a deal.  The problem is about 80% of the country does not share our passion for sports and don't want to be forced to pay for ESPN (and the other channels they do not want).

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #214 on: April 27, 2017, 09:13:38 PM »
This shows your ignorance on the subject.

People with cable are NOT allowed to drop only ESPN. Since ESPN is part of the cable package, it is all or nothing. ESPN is losing subscribers at the SAME EXACT RATE as overall cable subscribers.

?? 

I can downgrade my Spectrum cable package any time to one without ESPN, but still be a TV subscriber.  The same appears to be true of other tv providers.  How would the rate be the same?

It is isn't the same rate.   

http://cordcuttersnews.com/600000-cable-subscribers-canceled-downgraded-october/

Might want to walk back that ignorance comment.     ;)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #215 on: April 27, 2017, 09:51:01 PM »
?? 

I can downgrade my Spectrum cable package any time to one without ESPN, but still be a TV subscriber.  The same appears to be true of other tv providers.  How would the rate be the same?

It is isn't the same rate.   

http://cordcuttersnews.com/600000-cable-subscribers-canceled-downgraded-october/

Might want to walk back that ignorance comment.     ;)

No Direct TV, ai-na?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #216 on: April 27, 2017, 10:06:15 PM »
Very sexist of you.
Oh Heisy, you're just not very good at this, are you?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #217 on: April 27, 2017, 10:17:54 PM »
I'd be surprised if 10 real sports fans decided not to watch ESPN because of Jenner/Sam/etc. or any political bent.

I am left-of-center, and I don't watch anything but live sports and the occasional 30-for-30 on ESPN -  because it is garbage.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #218 on: April 27, 2017, 10:57:37 PM »
one example of how people were tuning out of espn the whole michael sam stuff.  read any article they've had on him online, then read the comment section and you see that people do not care about what shower he uses.  they care about sports.  they come to sports stations to watch sports.  they read sports articles to read about sports.  many people gravitate to sports related activities as an escape from all the other b.s.

I don't get the anger about the Michael Sam coverage. Well I do if its just people being homophobic or uncomfortable with someone being gay, but I don't get it if people don't have a problem with him being openly gay. He was the first openly gay player to be drafted in any of the four major sports in the US. That is a huge new story worthy of coverage. Anytime a player breaks a barrier like that its big news. Do those same people also get annoyed by Jackie Robinson day?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #219 on: April 28, 2017, 04:52:12 AM »
I don't get the anger about the Michael Sam coverage. Well I do if its just people being homophobic or uncomfortable with someone being gay, but I don't get it if people don't have a problem with him being openly gay. He was the first openly gay player to be drafted in any of the four major sports in the US. That is a huge new story worthy of coverage. Anytime a player breaks a barrier like that its big news. Do those same people also get annoyed by Jackie Robinson day?

The coverage didn't bother me, but you do see the minor difference in actual talent between Jackie Robinson and Michael Sam right?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #220 on: April 28, 2017, 06:17:50 AM »
No Direct TV, ai-na?

Direct is a very small percentage of the universe and typically price insensitive high end consumers.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #221 on: April 28, 2017, 06:20:54 AM »

first off, it's absolutely not about any phobia! come on tamu, you know that anytime you throw that one out there along with a few others, they are conversation stoppers for many.  once again, people do not care which side of the plate he bats from.  with ms, it was always about his sexual proclivities FIRST.  oh, and by the way he was a football player available in the draft.  it became a hot ticking time bomb in their(espn) quest to ask each team if they would take ms were he available when their pick was up. 

anytime a business tries to go "political", you are going to alienate approximately 50 % of your customers.  jackie robinson vs michael sam?  tick tick tick...espn is supposed to have some very smart people, eyyn'a?  back in the 50's-60's, i agree that introducing an african american to any major league sport was risky.  if ms could sack a qb, stuff a rb(absolutely no puns intended ::)), intercept passes like jr hit the ball, the gay part would have gone away very quickly as well.  but we all know how that played out...and once again, i don't think people really carted where mr robinson showered.  MOST people are well beyond the "gay" thing today-we are well into the 2000's here.  back in the 90's-2000, yeah, this could have been more of a "sticky whicket", but ms was still not a good football player.  AND, once again, MOST people came to espn for SPORTS. if jr was both gay and black?  now ya got yourself a scoop

this was just ONE example of how espn facked up-we could go on and on, but then i'm pretty sure that would trigger a lock down.  that would be unfortunate as this has been a pretty good/informative thread-just trying to keep it "real"  :)
don't...don't don't don't don't

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #222 on: April 28, 2017, 06:43:22 AM »
Any layoff that didn't include Neil Everett was a mistake.  The guy is unwatchable.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #223 on: April 28, 2017, 07:47:13 AM »

ESPN Layoffs Signify Company 'Metamorphosis In Real Time'
Stephen SingerContact Reporter
April 27, 2017

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-espn-layoffs-continue-20170427-story.html

Layoffs of as many as 100 writers and on-air talent are putting on full display ESPN's struggle to adapt to significant changes created by digital technology, a longtime observer said Thursday.

Geetha Ranganathan, a senior industry analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence, said the layoffs are "really just a drop in the bucket."

"I'm not sure it's going to make a huge difference," she said.

The move "signals a possible change in structuring programming," Ranganathan said. ESPN may look to pare the network, which could include consolidating the suite of ESPN channels, she said.

A critical problem facing ESPN is the "astronomically high" costs of contracts with sports leagues such as the NFL and NBA to broadcast games as it grapples with a decline in "subscriber momentum," she said.

As more employees of the Bristol-based ESPN tweeted that they have lost their jobs, ESPN announced Thursday a collaboration with MLB Network. ESPN will add MLB Network's studio program, "Intentional Talk," to its afternoon lineup beginning Monday.

The year-round, weekday show will air on ESPN2 during the season and will air as a 30-minute telecast in the offseason. "Intentional Talk" also will continue to air in its regular 5 p.m. time slot on MLB Network.

The number of households with ESPN's flagship station has fallen from 99 million to 88 million, a decline of 11 percent, in a little more than three years, according to numbers from Nielsen and ESPN's parent, The Walt Disney Co.

At about $7 per month per subscriber for ESPN, that would be more than $900 million in declining annual revenue over the last several years, if all other revenues remained equal.

And cord-cutting – the decision by subscribers to quit cable – is not slowing, as TV viewers have a growing menu of online "over-the-top" options.

Skipper told employees Wednesday that change sweeping the cable industry "demands an increased focus on versatility and value." The sports network is determining the anchors, analysts, reporters, writers and others who will be "necessary to meet those demands," he said.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #224 on: April 28, 2017, 07:57:49 AM »
MOST people are well beyond the "gay" thing today-we are well into the 2000's here.
so past it...so far that you can still be fired for being gay in many states with a couple states have laws saying you can't have a local law prohibiting such behavior.  and we're even further past the racism stuff right?  like electing a president who hangs with bannon and sessions and hates the thought of having black accountants and tries to bully an american judge based on skin color.  so past all that bs. 

i personally didn't watch much of the MS stuff...but remember thinking..."nice for the gay community that has and continues to take a lot of sh!t".

i always figure when i die and stand in front of the pearly gates (aka - the wall) god will ask why i was so nice to gays and stuck up for minorities.  in fact, i'm sure all those bashing espn would agree...espn should be run more like fox news...now that's the jesuit way. 

feedback