'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Anything Scoop worthy to report from the Banquet?  (Read 13974 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Anything Scoop worthy to report from the Banquet?
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2017, 09:04:30 PM »
Based on your views, How do You think his chances of returning close to his first year numbers, percentage wise 10%?  5%?  Thanks for sharing.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Haanif's important numbers (efg%, Orat, etc.) were all that good as a freshman - and as a freshman, he had both Luke and Henry walling off driving lanes for him. He's a mediocre 3 point shooter on a team with a lot of good to great ones. He has no mid range games, doesn't possess great quickness, is all left hand and finishes below the rim. Chance that he'll ever be an average Big East starting perimeter offensive player? I'd say slim.

On the "non skill" stuff, he fares better. He works/tries exceptionally hard on both ends, will be our only decent returning perimeter defender and he runs the court well.

I don't know what niche he'll carve out for himself. Anything from a bench player/occasional defensive sub to a starter who mostly defers on offense is possible.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2017, 10:00:04 PM »
I am in the camp that says Haanif will have a positive turnaround in his performance his junior season. He is a very good kid and will put the hard work in to improve the areas he had trouble in. He as much said so in one of his own tweets.

Agree.  He has the work ethic and can get to the hoop.  Work on the shot (especially the midrange), and he can be a solid contributor.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2017, 06:51:53 AM »
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Haanif's important numbers (efg%, Orat, etc.) were all that good as a freshman - and as a freshman, he had both Luke and Henry walling off driving lanes for him. He's a mediocre 3 point shooter on a team with a lot of good to great ones. He has no mid range games, doesn't possess great quickness, is all left hand and finishes below the rim. Chance that he'll ever be an average Big East starting perimeter offensive player? I'd say slim.

On the "non skill" stuff, he fares better. He works/tries exceptionally hard on both ends, will be our only decent returning perimeter defender and he runs the court well.

I don't know what niche he'll carve out for himself. Anything from a bench player/occasional defensive sub to a starter who mostly defers on offense is possible.

Thanks for your input.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2017, 07:03:52 AM »
He is not as good as Sam and Markus, but he is a pretty good three point shooter. My complaint about him in the past was that he would pass up open threes and drive to the basket. I somewhat thought that  he always drove, because that is what Wojo wanted him to do.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2017, 10:06:09 AM »
In a perfect world, I would love to see Cheatham redshirt next year. I would say there's a 98% chance it won't happen, but him dedicating a full year to driving with his right and developing a pull up jumper could really help him. Maybe he can get it in an offseason, but I'm doubtful.

Of course, that would mean a lot of Rowsey, Anim, and Elliott at the two, maybe even Cain. Not necessarily a bad thing, but definitely a lot of unknowns in that mix.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2017, 02:32:30 PM »
In a perfect world, I would love to see Cheatham redshirt next year. I would say there's a 98% chance it won't happen, but him dedicating a full year to driving with his right and developing a pull up jumper could really help him. Maybe he can get it in an offseason, but I'm doubtful.

Of course, that would mean a lot of Rowsey, Anim, and Elliott at the two, maybe even Cain. Not necessarily a bad thing, but definitely a lot of unknowns in that mix.

Even with Cheatham on the roster, you will still see a lot of Rowsey, Anim and Elliott at the two.  If Wojo gets a grad transfer #2, then count it as over recruiting the young fella. Cheatham digressed to just a poor level of play and he will be fighting an uphill battle.  But, I hope he improves because he has the required height at his position, especially for defensive purposes.  His previous tweet regarding his off season efforts has some belief he knows his problem and can work it out. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2017, 02:47:17 PM »
Even with Cheatham on the roster, you will still see a lot of Rowsey, Anim and Elliott at the two.  If Wojo gets a grad transfer #2, then count it as over recruiting the young fella. Cheatham digressed to just a poor level of play and he will be fighting an uphill battle.  But, I hope he improves because he has the required height at his position, especially for defensive purposes.  His previous tweet regarding his off season efforts has some belief he knows his problem and can work it out.

I wouldn't expect for Elliott to see the floor a whole lot next season.

Also, positions (i.e. 1s, 2s, etc) mean less and less in today's game. Teams basically have perimeter players and bigs.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2017, 10:26:13 PM »

When Traci Carter was on the roster the ball was handed to Haanif.  Do you really think the chosen one will ever red shirt?  Dude has 9 lives and not one will be spent on a 5th year. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart