'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Arena Construction Update  (Read 97744 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: New Arena Construction Update
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2018, 08:30:31 AM »
I like that idea, personally. I know it would ruffle feathers and end up costing the university some money, so it won't happen, but that kind of seating plan offers a great environment. Hopefully they stick with the general admission plan and keep ticket prices relatively low. I think when I was a student tickets were around $100, maybe $125. Any idea as to what they go for now?

Not without a concourse break in the seating.  You simply cannot have 20 year old kids standing and jumping (and forcing our sweater vests to stand in order to see) without that 10 foot rise that Duke has between the sections.  100% non starter.  I'm sure you appreciate and understand.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2018, 08:36:07 AM »
Not without a concourse break in the seating.  You simply cannot have 20 year old kids standing and jumping (and forcing our sweater vests to stand in order to see) without that 10 foot rise that Duke has between the sections.  100% non starter.  I'm sure you appreciate and understand.

That's a good point. I didn't realize that was part of the Cameron design. That's actually the stadium I had in mind when I said having students up close can offer a great environment. I know that I wouldn't want to be forced to stand the whole game, so I'm hoping they keep the arrangement similar to what it is now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2018, 08:36:29 AM »

Well he said it would make for a great environment. And it would. It would piss off the sweater vests but it would make a great environment. As a non-student and soon to be sweater vest I would vote for it but know I'm in the minority.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2018, 08:37:42 AM »
Plus, the students aren't around for about 5 weeks of the season...the Christmas Break resale program is quite successful....now you run the risk of pissing off your regular STHs.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2018, 08:56:39 AM »
You know what I find interesting at this point?  These hedge fund clowns from New York (can you tell I've formed an opinion?) pissed the Foxconn guys off so much that there isn't a naming deal now about eight months before the building opens.  And there's not one rumor flying that I've heard.  Umm, maybe overplay one's hand just a bit?  :o

...and the name of the new arena is ........ The Glow.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2018, 09:00:15 AM »
Well he said it would make for a great environment. And it would. It would piss off the sweater vests but it would make a great environment. As a non-student and soon to be sweater vest I would vote for it but know I'm in the minority.

I'm not arguing with him TAMU and skianth totally gets it now that I've described the Cameron logistics.  But one simply cannot ask many elderly people to stand.  My seatmate Jack who occupies two of the very best seats in the upper deck has been a season ticket holder since 1971.  Every year; essentially every game.  Loooooong before you were even born.  He is not capable of standing for that length of time.  And he's absolutely earned the right to comfortably enjoy the game. 

It's not about preference or environment.  It's about what's possible for many of our most loyal and generous fans.  I know you respect and appreciate that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #106 on: February 02, 2018, 09:00:57 AM »
...and the name of the new arena is ........ The Glow.

HA!!!!  Talk about overplaying their hand!!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #107 on: February 02, 2018, 09:30:18 AM »
I've heard naming rights are done.  Will be announced in a few weeks.  Do agree though that you're wasting value by announcing elite concerts without giving your naming rights partner part of that excitement. 

The arena does have a modest wall drop to floor.  It's conceivable MU COULD HAVE students stand on floor.  Unlikely though.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2018, 09:37:55 AM »
I've heard naming rights are done.  Will be announced in a few weeks.  Do agree though that you're wasting value by announcing elite concerts without giving your naming rights partner part of that excitement. 

The arena does have a modest wall drop to floor.  It's conceivable MU COULD HAVE students stand on floor.  Unlikely though.

Illinois does this. A small-ish group of students pays a little extra to be on the floor during games. I think they go maybe 2-3 rows deep along the sidelines and then the baselines are more like 5-6 rows. I don't even think they have a typical student section outside of that. For the few games I went to there when I was visiting friends in college, we just sat in the regular seats.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2018, 09:53:22 AM »
Are there going to be seats behind the baskets that does not have a wall in front of you ?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2018, 09:56:55 AM »
I like that idea, personally. I know it would ruffle feathers and end up costing the university some money, so it won't happen, but that kind of seating plan offers a great environment. =

Absolutely not.  "Some money" might be seven or eight figures depending on which donors you piss off (a/k/a, all the ones who will be behind the students).  I know two folks  personally who sit in the first few rows, and one of them is a seven-figure donor to the program and the other is at least a mid-six figure donor. 

How much do you think the alleged additional enhancement to the game environment is worth? Seriously, put a dollar figure on it for me.

Also, do you really want the knuckleheads who were chanting "F you, Nova" front and center during a nationally televised game?
Have some patience, FFS.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2018, 10:10:57 AM »
Also, do you really want the knuckleheads who were chanting "F you, Nova" front and center during a nationally televised game?

Same knuckleheads whose seats will be empty 75% of the time which will look great on TV.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2018, 11:07:27 AM »
You know what I find interesting at this point?  These hedge fund clowns from New York (can you tell I've formed an opinion?) pissed the Foxconn guys off so much that there isn't a naming deal now about eight months before the building opens.  And there's not one rumor flying that I've heard.  Umm, maybe overplay one's hand just a bit?  :o

Glow, there ain't no way in hell that Foxconn could outbid Silk when it comes to the naming rights.  None.  No Way.  Ain't happening.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2018, 12:23:03 PM »
I'm not arguing with him TAMU and skianth totally gets it now that I've described the Cameron logistics.  But one simply cannot ask many elderly people to stand.  My seatmate Jack who occupies two of the very best seats in the upper deck has been a season ticket holder since 1971.  Every year; essentially every game.  Loooooong before you were even born.  He is not capable of standing for that length of time.  And he's absolutely earned the right to comfortably enjoy the game. 

It's not about preference or environment.  It's about what's possible for many of our most loyal and generous fans.  I know you respect and appreciate that.

Agreed about not expecting the elderly to stand. But there are ways to work around that. Give the students an entire lower bowl section and fill in the alumni on the other side of the stadium and the sections around the students. No alumni have to stand to see the game and most would only have to move back a row or two. Alumni would be grumpy for the first few years but it would become part of the norm in a few year, and eventually a point of pride about having one of the best home atmospheres in the country.

I know, I know. $$$$$. It won't happen. When I win the lottery and commission Benny's On Campus Thunderdome I'll make sure the stadium is designed like Cameron
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2018, 12:41:56 PM »
I'm posting the link to the webcam again so I can reference a question.

http://wisconsinesc.com/live-webcam

If you go to the Interior View and select View 2 on the bottom, there is a wall that separates the second level seating (above the suites) in the corner.  Is that a permanent wall and if so, can people sitting in the seats next to the wall see the whole court?
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2018, 12:44:25 PM »

Because this thought process happens for people?:

Foo Fighters are coming to play at the new arena?  Naw, I think I will take a pass...

What?!?...the new arena is now going to be called the Milorganite Center?  Wow!  I hope there's some floor seats left for that Foo Fighters concert!!

Have some patience, FFS.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2018, 12:58:59 PM »
If you go to the Interior View and select View 2 on the bottom, there is a wall that separates the second level seating (above the suites) in the corner.  Is that a permanent wall and if so, can people sitting in the seats next to the wall see the whole court?

I'd guess that wall is at exactly the right angle to see the entire court when tucked away back there.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2018, 01:06:02 PM »
Because this thought process happens for people?:

Foo Fighters are coming to play at the new arena?  Naw, I think I will take a pass...

What?!?...the new arena is now going to be called the Milorganite Center?  Wow!  I hope there's some floor seats left for that Foo Fighters concert!!

It doesn't convince people to buy a ticket, but it's certainly part of the expected marketing buzz that any naming rights sponsor counts on when forking over all that money. Having a globally recognized band like the Foo Fights say the name of your arena in emails, social media posts, and interviews is great publicity. I'm guessing the average person not living in SE Wisconsin may not know who Foxconn is, but when Foxconn Arena is listed on dozens or hundreds of websites announcing tours and events, that means something.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2018, 01:13:06 PM »
It doesn't convince people to buy a ticket, but it's certainly part of the expected marketing buzz that any naming rights sponsor counts on when forking over all that money. Having a globally recognized band like the Foo Fights say the name of your arena in emails, social media posts, and interviews is great publicity.

Because they are done advertising the show, and "Foo Fighters" and "Milorganite" will never be mentioned at the same time ever again?

There is no way the promoters are going to delay marketing the concert because the naming rights aren't set up yet.  And if a sponsor wants to gripe on missing out on the initial announcement, they should have signed the papers earlier.
Have some patience, FFS.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2018, 01:21:35 PM »
Because they are done advertising the show, and "Foo Fighters" and "Milorganite" will never be mentioned at the same time ever again?

There is no way the promoters are going to delay marketing the concert because the naming rights aren't set up yet.  And if a sponsor wants to gripe on missing out on the initial announcement, they should have signed the papers earlier.

Sure, they will, but the buzz is always the biggest on first announcement. Whatever massive corporation is willing to shell out the buck for the name will be just fine missing out on some of the early hype here, but it's probably still a bummer for them.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2018, 01:49:13 PM »
I am kinda warming up to The WESC.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2018, 01:56:10 PM »

Its tough to argue that Milorganite isn't losing value on a naming rights deal by not being in place before initial event announcements. And its not unreasonable to speculate that that lost value translates to reductions (however small) to the final purchase price for those rights.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2018, 02:07:40 PM »
Time is Money is very true in naming rights deals.  What do people refer to it as now, on the news, etc:  The New Arena?  Certainly not the Northwestern Arena, or whatever. The owner's are missing out on whatever value there has been for the past year in having a contract in place.

The Bucks owners apparently overshot/over valued what the naming rights are worth.  But, I think it will all work out well enough.

It also looks like they may have overreached/overvalued on the entertainment area.  Now it will be smaller and there have been potential tenants securing locations to the north and east, instead of the Buck's entertainment area.  Again, they will be fine, but with less to lease out.  I will be interested to see what ends up there - hopefully not a Miller/Coors or other corporate type of bar/restaurant.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2018, 02:15:31 PM »
Looking at the interior view,looks like a lot of sun light that will come in during a day game.  Could be annoying?

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2018, 02:38:53 PM »
Looking at the interior view,looks like a lot of sun light that will come in during a day game.  Could be annoying?

I would imagine they'll have some kind of shades or other way to block any outside light that could interfere with games or events inside.