Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Conference Tourney Title - We're Due  (Read 9227 times)

RJax55

• All American
Conference Tourney Title - We're Due
« on: March 08, 2017, 01:01:40 AM »
It has been 20 years now since Deane & Co. won the CUSA tournament title with a 4-day blitz in St. Louis. This was MU's last conference tournament title.

Given the quality of program that MU has had during most of the past 20 years, it is hard to believe that we have only played in one conference title game since (A loss in '02 vs. Cincy, Wade's first year). Frankly, with the talent, success and seeds we have had, one can a make a very strong argument that no program has underachieved more in their conference tourney during this time-frame than MU.

Crean had one finals trip in CUSA ('02) and reached the semi-finals once in the Big East. The furthest Buzz went was a trip to the semi-finals in '10. Amazingly, Buzz had more NCAA tourney wins (8) than BEAST conference tourney wins (5) during his MU tenure.

Now, I know that conference tournament play has little bearing on tourney success. MU is just one example of that point. But, it would be cool to see this team play in the tournament final for no other reason than it has been so long (and never in the Big East). And, I have to think that MU is due here to make a run. 20 years is a long time.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 01:03:37 AM by RJax55 »

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Conference Tourney Title - We're Due
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 06:29:36 AM »
Ceiling is semifinals this year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 06:49:20 AM »
You are just mad that the women's team is showing up the guys.  :-[
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 07:00:07 AM »
Beating Villanova on a neutral court?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 07:31:22 AM »

Disagree. We have the capability of beating Nova. We've shown it already. I wouldn't say its likely (not even close) but certainly possible.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 08:32:04 AM »
You are just mad that the women's team is showing up the guys.  :-[

It's really hard for the guys to break that glass ceiling you know.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 08:34:37 AM »
Disagree. We have the capability of beating Nova. We've shown it already. I wouldn't say its likely (not even close) but certainly possible.

If we were on the bottom of the Bracket we would have a decent road to the championship game.
I think IF we make it to nova, we have a 20% chance of beating them.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 08:35:34 AM »
If we beat Hall I am happy, If we beat Nova I am thrilled, if we win the Big East ship I know we lose in the first round of the NCAA's.

I honestly would be quite pleased with just a win over Hall and a good showing vs Nova. Hall makes as locked up as possible, a win over Nova just may push us up a seed.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 08:40:52 AM »
If we were on the bottom of the Bracket we would have a decent road to the championship game.
I think IF we make it to nova, we have a 20% chance of beating them.
You should be an odds maker.....this site gives us ~17% chance on getting to the championship game which is lower than our chance of beating Nova because of the 38% chance SH takes us out.
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncb/conference-tournaments/big-east-bracket/

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 09:12:49 AM »

Ceiling is the roof, ay?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 10:10:02 AM »
One man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 10:15:32 AM »
I'll be thrilled with a win over Hall and respectable loss (less than 10 points) to Villanova in the Garden, and the NCAA tournament seed it would bring us. Not expecting anything more than that.

Hall is playing fantastic basketball. This will be a hell of game. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 10:18:39 AM by Coleman »

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 10:16:37 AM »
If we beat Hall I am happy, If we beat Nova I am thrilled, if we win the Big East ship I know we lose in the first round of the NCAA's.

If we're seeded between 8 and 11, there's a good chance we lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament anyway — regardless of how we do in the Big East tourney. If the selection committee does it's job, that would mean we're facing a team at least as good as we are, probably even better.

I'd be thrilled to win the whole thing at Madison Square Garden. It'd be great for the program, no matter what happens after.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 10:19:11 AM »
I'll be thrilled with a win over Hall and respectable loss (less than 10 points) to Villanova in the Garden, and the NCAA tournament seed it would bring us. Not expecting anything more than that.

Hall is playing fantastic basketball. This will be a hell of game.
Jumbo shrimp.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 10:22:54 AM »
If we're seeded between 8 and 11, there's a good chance we lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament anyway — regardless of how we do in the Big East tourney. If the selection committee does it's job, that would mean we're facing a team at least as good as we are, probably even better.

I'd be thrilled to win the whole thing at Madison Square Garden. It'd be great for the program, no matter what happens after.

Sure, but when you look at the teams between the 5 and 10 line, no one exactly scares me.  Sure, we could lose to pretty much any of them if we aren't shooting the ball well, but we could also beat any of them without playing our best game.  Avoiding the 8/9 and avoiding Kansas or UNC in the round of 32 would be ideal.  Give me the Zags all day long.  They're a better team than we are, but we beat that team 4/10 times on a neutral court, IMO.  7/10 isn't much better as I don't like how we match up with really any of the potential 2's in Louisville, UCLA, Arizona, Oregon, and Baylor.  But after that, man, things really open up.  There are really only 8-10 really, really good teams this year.

11 seed would be ideal, but I think that ship has sailed, honestly.  I think a 6 is possible if we win the BET.  I wouldn't be shocked if the committee already has us around the 7/8 cut off due to our stack of top 50 wins, and the Nova win.  Another Nova win would certainly push us up. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 10:54:43 AM »

I honestly would be quite pleased with just a win over Hall and a good showing vs Nova. Hall makes as locked up as possible, a win over Nova just may push us up a seed.

Well, I'd rather win the Big East and go one and done in the tourney than lose the Big East Final and get knocked out in the Elite 8, so I'd be willing to take our chances of winning the final.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 11:01:17 AM »
Well, I'd rather win the Big East and go one and done in the tourney than lose the Big East Final and get knocked out in the Elite 8, so I'd be willing to take our chances of winning the final.

WHAT?  That makes no sense.  I'd take a 2-1 record in the BE tournament and an Elite 8 appearance ALL DAY EVERY DAY over a BET championship.

It's not a real life trade, but c'mon, you take the Elite 8 every time. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MU_CHI

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 11:01:56 AM »

This is ridiculous. Going to the Elite 8 with Buzz was far and away more memorable and better for the program than a Big East Championship would have ever been.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 11:02:16 AM »

Yeah this is crazy

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 11:06:34 AM »
Our E8 was a much more memorable experience than winning the BE regular season title.  And winning the BE regular season title was far, far, far better than what winning a BET title would be.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 11:10:45 AM »

This seems backwards.  I'd take any amount of NCAA tourney success over BEAST Tourney success.  No one cares about conference tournament championships.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 11:12:37 AM »
This seems backwards.  I'd take any amount of NCAA tourney success over BEAST Tourney success.  No one cares about conference tournament championships.
True

warriorchick

• All American
Have some patience, FFS.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2017, 11:20:14 AM »
Sure, but when you look at the teams between the 5 and 10 line, no one exactly scares me.

No disagreement here. I think MU is playing its best ball, and has a good chance to beat anybody we'd face in a first-round NCAA matchup. But if we are seeded in the 8-11 range, history says we're no better than a 50-50 proposition:

6 seeds are 96-52 (64.9%) against 11 seeds
7 seeds are 92-60 (60.5%) against 10 seeds
8 seeds are 80-72 (52.6%) against 9 seeds

If we manage to beat Seton Hall, Nova and Butler to win the Big East tourney, we'd be 22-11. Against the current KenPom Top 50, we'd be 8-5 — including wins over Nova (home and neutral court), Butler (neutral), Creighton (home and away), Xavier (home and away) and Vanderbilt (neutral).

Would that be enough to get us a 6 or 7 seed? We'd probably have to leapfrog teams like Iowa State (20-10, RPI 28, 10-8 versus the KenPom Top 50 headed into the Big 12 tourney), Notre Dame (23-8, RPI 50, 8-7 vs. KenPom Top 50), Michigan (20-10, RPI 46, 7-8 vs. KenPom Top 50), Oklahoma St. (20-11, RPI 35, 8-10 vs. KenPom Top 50) or Wisconsin (23-8, RPI 38, 8-6 vs. KenPom Top 50).
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2017, 11:55:24 AM »

Uh, no

99% of the country doesn't care about the Big East tournament or who wins it. Almost everyone notices deep runs in the NCAA. And I personally enjoyed our Elite 8 run more than any satisfaction a conference tournament title would bring.