Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Conference Tourney Title - We're Due  (Read 9226 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Conference Tourney Title - We're Due
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2017, 11:55:32 AM »
No disagreement here. I think MU is playing its best ball, and has a good chance to beat anybody we'd face in a first-round NCAA matchup. But if we are seeded in the 8-11 range, history says we're no better than a 50-50 proposition:

6 seeds are 96-52 (64.9%) against 11 seeds
7 seeds are 92-60 (60.5%) against 10 seeds
8 seeds are 80-72 (52.6%) against 9 seeds

Historically, the difference between a 6-seeded team and an 11-seeded team has been a chasm relative to this year.  Heck, you could probably take the 24 teams that would be on the 6-11 lines currently, reassign their seeds at random, and still have a pretty good shot of coming out with a bracket that makes sense.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2017, 12:15:58 PM »
Ceiling is semifinals this year.

All I know is, This team is fun to watch.  I'll cheer for them to win every game.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 12:20:46 PM by 94Warrior »

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2017, 12:55:52 PM »
If we're seeded between 8 and 11, there's a good chance we lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament anyway — regardless of how we do in the Big East tourney. If the selection committee does it's job, that would mean we're facing a team at least as good as we are, probably even better.

I'd be thrilled to win the whole thing at Madison Square Garden. It'd be great for the program, no matter what happens after.

If we're seeded 1-16 in the tourney theres a good chance we lose in the first round of the tourney...Just the way march works. I dont give a damn what we are seeded. This team can beat anyone and lose to anyone. If we win the Big East tourney and lose by 20 in the first round of the NCAA's id be torn on how I feel

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 01:03:00 PM »
Quick, without looking, does anyone remember what year Kent State made the Elite Eight?

No. Of course not. Anything less than a Final Four is less than Big East Tournament title. No one cares about any NCAA results a year later that aren't happening the last weekend. BET warrants a banner. Elite Eight does not. No question, none whatsoever, BET title trumps anything less than a Final Four.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2017, 01:06:23 PM »
Quick, without looking, does anyone remember what year Kent State made the Elite Eight?

No. Of course not. Anything less than a Final Four is less than Big East Tournament title. No one cares about any NCAA results a year later that aren't happening the last weekend. BET warrants a banner. Elite Eight does not. No question, none whatsoever, BET title trumps anything less than a Final Four.

Quick guess on Kent St: 2002.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2017, 01:06:39 PM »

Maybe not, but if you asked while it was actually happening, what got more coverage? Kent State making the Elite 8 or winning its conference tournament?

I could honestly care less about banners.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2017, 01:08:11 PM »
Boom! Got it right.  Then again, I'm a high basketball IQ connoisseur.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2017, 01:10:53 PM »

I don't this logic holds water. I can't tell you the exact year but I know it was early 2000s. I have no idea when the last time they won a conference championship was.

But to each their own. I personally value Sweet 16s over BE Championships...which I value more than Round of 32 appearances. But I can understand why others would feel differently. You hang a banner for BE Championships. You don't for Sweet 16s....do you? Actually don't know.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2017, 01:15:34 PM »
I don't this logic holds water. I can't tell you the exact year but I know it was early 2000s. I have no idea when the last time they won a conference championship was.

Bingo

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2017, 01:16:25 PM »

Who gives a fu*k about banners?  Elite 8 is 1 win away from the final four.  I want us to win the BET as well, but you take NCAA success every time.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2017, 01:16:58 PM »
Championship > Final Four > Elite 8 > Sweet 16 > Regular Season Conference Champs > Conference Tournament Champs

« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 01:19:58 PM by Coleman »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2017, 01:25:55 PM »
I care about tangible things. A title is forever. A Sweet 16 is a week of optimism. As soon as you lose, that optimism is gone. Not so with a title. Winning tangible things, trophies, banners, titles, that matters. A week (or the 2 days an Elite 8 buys you), far less so.

Final Fours matter because you're playing for a national title and because it's tangible.

National Championship > Runner Up > Final Four > Conference Title (Either) > Elite 8 > And so on...

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2017, 01:27:08 PM »
Who gives a fu*k about banners?  Elite 8 is 1 win away from the final four.  I want us to win the BET as well, but you take NCAA success every time.

So one win away from something that matters, versus already winning something that matters. Easy decision, BET every time.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2017, 01:28:19 PM »
So one win away from something that matters, versus already winning something that matters. Easy decision, BET every time.

Pretty sure you're alone here.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2017, 01:30:49 PM »
Quick guess on Kent St: 2002.

My guess as well.

Boom! Got it right.  Then again, I'm a high basketball IQ connoisseur.

Guess it's not that hard

You can do that with conference tournaments.  Or with Final Fours.

"When's the last time Stanford won the Pac 12 Conference Tournament?"

"What year did Oklahoma State last make the Final Four?  Or Minnesota?  Or Mississippi State?"
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2017, 01:32:08 PM »
Championship > Final Four > Elite 8 > Sweet 16 > Regular Season Conference Champs > Conference Tournament Champs

Agree.  I might put a regular season conference title over a S16 depending on the conference.  Old BE?  I think better than S16.  This BE?  Not sure, roughly equal.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2017, 01:33:42 PM »
Pretty sure you're alone here.

If you care more about moments, what moment was better? Vander laying in the game winner at the Garden to clinch the Big East, or crashing out against Syracuse 2 weeks later. If you could relive one of those moments in perpetuity, which would it be? Title clinching win or soul crushing loss?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2017, 01:35:46 PM »
If you care more about moments, what moment was better? Vander laying in the game winner at the Garden to clinch the Big East, or crashing out against Syracuse 2 weeks later. If you could relive one of those moments in perpetuity, which would it be? Title clinching win or soul crushing loss?

I would absolutely take the Vander game winner over Davidson over Vander's game winner at the Garden.

Of course if you compare a winning moment to a losing moment the winning moment is better.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2017, 01:41:23 PM »

Vander's winner over Davidson far more memorable.  As were the next two wins over Butler and Miami.   I relive the tournament success every time.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2017, 01:51:18 PM »
Here is a scouting report on the Big East Tournament. It is still very popular in the City.
http://nypost.com/2017/03/08/analyzing-the-big-east-tourney-it-wont-be-a-cakewalk-for-villanova/
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2017, 01:59:26 PM »

That's not fair. If you care about moments, would you take Vander's layup at the Garden (I'll throw in DG's big game and beating Syracuse at home)?

Or would you take Vander's layup to beat Davidson, Vander arriving on a big stage/his corner 3 against Butler in the round of 32? The week of media coverage leading up to the S16? The dismantling of Miami?

Yes, the Syracuse loss sucked. But we got 3-4 great moments in the tournament leading up to it. Why can't we consider those moments?

And for the record I actually am somewhat torn on the topic. Winning the Big East was pretty damn exciting. But I don't think each of those moments exists individually in a vacuum. You build to them and you get to remember the whole journey fondly. If I had to pick then I'm picking an E8 over the BET title, though.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2017, 02:00:05 PM »

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2017, 02:10:19 PM »
Well, I'd rather win the Big East and go one and done in the tourney than lose the Big East Final and get knocked out in the Elite 8, so I'd be willing to take our chances of winning the final.

I think this is one of the rare Air balls you have thrown.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2017, 02:10:53 PM »

False equivalent.  The real comparison should be the win that got you to the Elite 8, in this case Miami.

Personally I go NC>FF>BE regular season/Elite 8 about the same> BET title/Sweet 16.

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2017, 02:21:28 PM »
I dunno never seen Marquette win the BET I'll let you know how I feel about it next time it happens. I knpw I generally get pretty happy when MU wins games though.
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

feedback