collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Twilight at IU?  (Read 6443 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: Twilight at IU?
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2017, 02:42:50 PM »
You can't spend all the time in college basketball and not know how to coach.

Crean's problem is, and always has been, his personality (for lack of a better word). He's a jackass and it affects recruiting. The Indiana HS coaches see right through him. Those recruits he does land, tune him out by the end of the season because he's so phony. It's also why he twice turned over an entire coaching staff at MU. Players, coaches, fans...Nobody can stand him!

For a guy everyone tunes out, he's been able to send multiple players to the NBA and he's been able to win multiple conference championships and he's been able to reach the second weekend multiple times.

Considering the dire situation we presently find Marquette basketball residing, the above would be quite an accomplishment for Wojo in the next six years. Let's hope everyone in the program starts tuning our guy out.

CreanLover

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 02:51:16 PM »
For a guy everyone tunes out, he's been able to send multiple players to the NBA and he's been able to win multiple conference championships and he's been able to reach the second weekend multiple times.

Considering the dire situation we presently find Marquette basketball residing, the above would be quite an accomplishment for Wojo in the next six years. Let's hope everyone in the program starts tuning our guy out.
If our last 2 recruiting classes are "dire" then I'll take "dire."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2017, 03:19:22 PM »
Curious but what makes you feel they have more of a right?

Because they're tied for 3rd for most titles and can tack on another title appearance and 2 more final fours to their resume.

As far as titles go we're in a club with Holy cross, City College of New York, Loyola Chicago, and more. An Elite club sure but not one that warrants an expectation of titles every year.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2017, 03:41:33 PM »
Crean is getting his ass handed to him in-state recruiting wise.  I believe the last top 100 player he got out of an Indiana high school was James Blackmon back in 2014.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2017, 05:16:27 PM »
If our last 2 recruiting classes are "dire" then I'll take "dire."

Conveniently, you've missed the point.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2017, 07:20:26 PM »
I think we can relate to this.

Indiana fans believe they have a God-Given right to a slot in the Final Four. I have to believe there is a quite reverence to Bobby Knight -- despite the way he left -- that's on par with our reverence for Al. Their fan base remembers the good ole days and thinks with tradition, budget and commitment, there is no reason why they can't be an elite program.

Sound familiar Warrior fans?

At some point, IU will get there, as will we. It aint going to be with the Tanned One.

I4 fans think they have a god-given right to the Final Four.

MU fans generally perceive a god-given right to the dance, with frequent trips to the Sweet Sixteen and occasional trips to the Final Four.

Same idea...but TC had the ability to deliver on the latter.  Not so much with the former.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2017, 10:39:48 PM »
You can't spend all the time in college basketball and not know how to coach.

Crean's problem is, and always has been, his personality (for lack of a better word). He's a jackass and it affects recruiting. The Indiana HS coaches see right through him. Those recruits he does land, tune him out by the end of the season because he's so phony. It's also why he twice turned over an entire coaching staff at MU. Players, coaches, fans...Nobody can stand him!

True. He's a phony with a capital PH. Even Chico (his one remaining acolyte) concedes he's a pud.

EaglesNest

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2017, 11:27:14 PM »
I'm not sure on this, but didn't they not offer McIntosh even though Indiana was his dream school.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2017, 11:47:42 PM »
Indiana forums have been strong this week with reports that Glass has already informed Crean of the school's decision to move on.  According to some posters, he has already reached out to NC State, with feelers at Missouri. 

If DePaul were open, or - a step further - had a competent AD that wasn't content with atrocious men's basketball, he would absolutely thrive there.  He could get hired, talk about the grand days of Ray Meyer, speak on how he dreamed about how DePaul was his dream job growing up in the Midwest, and how excited he is to rebuild and restore the Blue Demons basketball program. 

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2017, 06:33:21 PM »
Indiana forums have been strong this week with reports that Glass has already informed Crean of the school's decision to move on.

Aww...  I was really hoping this was a possibility!

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/ftw/2017/02/28/daniel-tosh-volunteered-to-fire-tom-crean-when-he-visits-indiana/98540378/

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2017, 08:17:36 PM »
MU fans generally perceive a god-given right to the dance, with frequent trips to the Sweet Sixteen and occasional trips to the Final Four.

Depends on your age.

If you are a Warrior who is my age, you expect to be a national powerhouse, ranked in the Top 10 and being mentioned for the national championship.

Period.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2017, 03:07:07 AM »
Depends on your age.

If you are a Warrior who is my age, you expect to be a national powerhouse, ranked in the Top 10 and being mentioned for the national championship.

Period.

Those are unrealistic expectations.

Period.

This isn't 1971, when Al could go to New York, talk like a New Yawker, and sell his program's willingness to take black inner-city kids.

What have you seen since 1978 to make you believe that such expectations are even close to realistic? As good a run as Buzz had, he didn't come close to meeting your expectations.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2017, 07:24:12 AM »
Unshackle Chicos for a week so we can get the Fred Glass insider scoop.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2017, 10:43:33 AM »
"I'll email Fred and find out" --- Chicos
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2017, 07:55:36 AM »
Those are unrealistic expectations.

Period.

This isn't 1971, when Al could go to New York, talk like a New Yawker, and sell his program's willingness to take black inner-city kids.

What have you seen since 1978 to make you believe that such expectations are even close to realistic? As good a run as Buzz had, he didn't come close to meeting your expectations.

Sometimes expectations and reality take awhile to come together.

Yes, I expect this, the way Duke fans expect their Blue Devils to be among the nation's elite.

Are we there yet? No! Are we heading in the direction? Of course.

I guess I'm like the little kid on a trip who keeps asking his parents, "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"

82, when we get there, we'll have a beer together and debate whether Al or Wojo was the greatest coach of all time at MU!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2017, 12:01:00 PM »
Sometimes expectations and reality take awhile to come together.

Yes, I expect this, the way Duke fans expect their Blue Devils to be among the nation's elite.

Are we there yet? No! Are we heading in the direction? Of course.

I guess I'm like the little kid on a trip who keeps asking his parents, "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"

82, when we get there, we'll have a beer together and debate whether Al or Wojo was the greatest coach of all time at MU!

Deal!

I would love that debate, and I would love that beer!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2017, 12:15:46 PM »
Deal!

I would love that debate, and I would love that beer!

Done deal.

And I want Chicos there too to watch his face when we decide it might be Wojo! LOL

Glow, you and Chick can come too! I'll buy the first few pitchers of Pabst!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2017, 12:25:54 PM »
Buzz to IU.     (boom)   (That was the sound of chico's head exploding)
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2017, 01:58:39 PM »
Missouri head coach just stepped down

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2017, 02:18:48 PM »
Done deal.

And I want Chicos there too to watch his face when we decide it might be Wojo! LOL

We are there, baby!
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2017, 12:46:13 AM »
Done deal.

Deal.

But I'll bring James Franco to provide urine to drink rather than PBR!

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2017, 08:41:15 AM »
I think Crean and Mizzou would be a really good fit.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2017, 12:36:53 PM »
Vampires and Werewolves in Bloomington?

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2017, 05:22:48 PM »
The NCSU job is a terrible job...it will always be the number 3 job in the Triangle and isn't considered part of Tobacco Road either so none of the glamour or cachet in the position.

They have one of the most delusional fan bases in the nation ( all major sports) who think they are an elite team that regularly under performs. They have fired coaches that were far better than their replacements on a regular basis.

The ONLY two times they have been truly successful they were sanctioned afterwards for recruiting violations.

This is a job for someone who hopes to catch a star...a real bona fide up and comer can wait for a better and easier route to success. It's a career killer.

Crean would be far better off taking most any other option....not that I really want to see him succeed anywhere   ;)

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2017, 06:16:39 PM »
The NCSU job is a terrible job...it will always be the number 3 job in the Triangle and isn't considered part of Tobacco Road either so none of the glamour or cachet in the position.

They have one of the most delusional fan bases in the nation ( all major sports) who think they are an elite team that regularly under performs. They have fired coaches that were far better than their replacements on a regular basis.

The ONLY two times they have been truly successful they were sanctioned afterwards for recruiting violations.

This is a job for someone who hopes to catch a star...a real bona fide up and comer can wait for a better and easier route to success. It's a career killer.

Crean would be far better off taking most any other option....not that I really want to see him succeed anywhere   ;)

So you are saying they cheated in '74 when they beat us?