[Today at 12:31:28 PM]

Big East 2024 -25 Results by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 10:15:56 AM]

Excellent Mr Dodds Interview with Ben Gold by Herman Cain
[Today at 08:52:59 AM]

Recruiting as of 9/15/24 by BCHoopster
[September 19, 2024, 05:36:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Twilight at IU?  (Read 6863 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Twilight at IU?
« on: February 28, 2017, 11:46:45 PM »
At one point in December IU was #3 and beat UNC.  Now they are 16-14 (6-11) ... and 3 - 8 in the last 11.

They have two to play, @tOSU and then the first round of the B1G.  Lose both, which is very possible, and they will fail to be above .500 for the first time since 2011 (the middle of their rebuilding).

Looks like they have quit on Crean.  Is it worth the huge buyout to get rid of him?

Smokin' Jae

• Team Captain
Re: Twilight at IU?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 12:15:27 AM »
Everything I've heard from Indiana people he's going to be out. Very interesting though, buyout is at 4 mil right now but drops to a mil on July 1. We shall see.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 01:03:43 AM »
Every year since I4, some posters have predicted that this is the year Crean gets ousted. One year, they will be correct.

Have heard some people float the idea that Crean will take the NC State job in order to avoid getting fired. He might actually be good there. He has good program building skills.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 03:44:46 AM »
If you fire a coach you don't wait to July.

The key provision IU would bring up to get people off the $4MM concerns would be the offset provisions

Horrible contract by Glass & IU at the outset.

Thanks to the favorable contract language, advice to Crean would be do light media work for a year or two unless there's an incredible coaching job available
The FBI screwed up in Butler, PA.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 04:03:08 AM »
The announcers in that game were insufferable.  Just horrific. ESPN just sucks.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 05:15:08 AM »
Injuries, no experienced point guard.  Dakich is a clown, but he said that there is a distance between the players and the coaching staff.  BTW, if Crean goes to NCS will it turn out that Chico went there, too?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 06:24:58 AM »
Now that he's 50 is he going to have the same energy for rebuilding that he had at MU & Indiana.  TC's game is young man's work.  He might be done. NC State could turn out very poorly. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 07:09:14 AM »
He's a year from being B1G coach of the year and everybody saying how amazing his coaching job was. Jeeze people turn face quick
Maigh Eo for Sam

burger

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 07:12:00 AM »
Is he going to get an ACC opportunity.....

Does his resume warrant that?????

I know there is a "real" dearth of great head coaches but an ACC position is upper echelon......

I am thinking more South Florida......Tan and all.....

Perfect fit......

And skimpy cheerleader outfits also......For anyone who wants to where one.....at say.....An opening press conference.....

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 07:15:54 AM »
Also heard Mizzou... A terrible contract indeed, where was he going to go that was considered better than I4? Was that contract specifically for Michigan state if izzo ever left?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 07:48:11 AM »
He's a year from being B1G coach of the year and everybody saying how amazing his coaching job was. Jeeze people turn face quick

Indiana has a delusional fan base who never really embraced him. Not that he's the most embraceable guy either. I never thought it would end well for him there.

Tough job with high expectations. But better job in my opinion than NC State.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 08:06:47 AM »

Indiana has a delusional fan base who never really embraced him. Not that he's the most embraceable guy either. I never thought it would end well for him there.

i
Yeah, they won the B-10 regular season championship in 2013 and 2016.  Under Crean they have never won the Big-10 Championship Game and never even reached the championship game.  Tough expectations for their fans, especially since Indy is a blue blood and his incredible salary.  But this year's team was really hurt by injuries and maybe he gets one more chance next year. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 08:14:53 AM by nyg »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 08:08:28 AM »

I think it's gone as I sort of expected. He's delivering similar results to his time at MU, which I think is his ceiling. That's good for a lot of places, but not the IU fan base. He did a good job of bringing them back, but they probably need someone different to keep them near the top consistently. I don't know if that coach is out there.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 08:10:28 AM »
Every year since I4, some posters have predicted that this is the year Crean gets ousted. One year, they will be correct.

Have heard some people float the idea that Crean will take the NC State job in order to avoid getting fired. He might actually be good there. He has good program building skills.

I've heard this as well from someone in the know. Heard he "has already accepted it".
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

lostpassword

• Starter
Look (closely) at my forehead
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 08:10:50 AM »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 08:26:02 AM »

I think we can relate to this.

Indiana fans believe they have a God-Given right to a slot in the Final Four. I have to believe there is a quite reverence to Bobby Knight -- despite the way he left -- that's on par with our reverence for Al. Their fan base remembers the good ole days and thinks with tradition, budget and commitment, there is no reason why they can't be an elite program.

Sound familiar Warrior fans?

At some point, IU will get there, as will we. It aint going to be with the Tanned One.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2017, 08:34:41 AM »
I think we can relate to this.

Indiana fans believe they have a God-Given right to a slot in the Final Four. I have to believe there is a quite reverence to Bobby Knight -- despite the way he left -- that's on par with our reverence for Al. Their fan base remembers the good ole days and thinks with tradition, budget and commitment, there is no reason why they can't be an elite program.

Sound familiar Warrior fans?

At some point, IU will get there, as will we. It aint going to be with the Tanned One.

Similar yes but I'd say at least IU has reasonable cause to expect to contend for titles. We don't really have that
Maigh Eo for Sam

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 10:05:35 AM »
Similar yes but I'd say at least IU has reasonable cause to expect to contend for titles. We don't really have that

Curious but what makes you feel they have more of a right? 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 10:19:39 AM »
Curious but what makes you feel they have more of a right?

Duh... because it's Indiana.  It's Indiana.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 10:36:02 AM »
If da mofo had any self-respect, he'd quit and be Wade's housekeeper, chef, and chauffeur 'cuz T-Cubed ain't chit witout 'im, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 10:48:58 AM »
Crean should worship at the altar of Dwade.

His two best teams were the Wade-Jackson-Merritt-Diener-Novak team that made the 2003 Final Four and the IU team about four years ago that made the Sweet 16 and then was upset.

Crean's problem is he cannot consistently recruit nor am I impressed with his in-game coaching. With an Indiana/BIG platform, there's no reason that he should have the problems he's having now. His team this year has something terribly wrong. They can beat UNC one day and lose to IUPUI-Ft. Wayne almost on the next. Folks, that's coaching. Period.

At least when we lost this year, it was in conference or two major national teams (Pitt, Michigan). 

Crean has had two "to-die-for" opportunities -- us with our massive basketball budget and IU. If he can't sustain excellence at either of these schools, what makes anyone think he can do it at NC State?

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 11:45:11 AM »
Paraphrasing his future introductory press conference: "I was such a big NC State fan growing up. I remember after 1974 when they won the national championship I wrote a letter to Norm Sloan and he sent back a signed program. It was one of my most treasured possessions."

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 01:24:44 PM »
I think it's gone as I sort of expected. He's delivering similar results to his time at MU, which I think is his ceiling. That's good for a lot of places, but not the IU fan base. He did a good job of bringing them back, but they probably need someone different to keep them near the top consistently. I don't know if that coach is out there.

How about his shadow, Buzz?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 01:26:43 PM »
Paraphrasing his future introductory press conference: "I was such a big NC State fan growing up. I remember after 1974 when they won the national championship I wrote a letter to Norm Sloan and he sent back a signed program. It was one of my most treasured possessions."

Despite what you above, any of us here would certainly like to have his bank account.

CreanLover

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2017, 02:35:48 PM »

Crean's problem is he cannot consistently recruit nor am I impressed with his in-game coaching.
You can't spend all the time in college basketball and not know how to coach.

Crean's problem is, and always has been, his personality (for lack of a better word). He's a jackass and it affects recruiting. The Indiana HS coaches see right through him. Those recruits he does land, tune him out by the end of the season because he's so phony. It's also why he twice turned over an entire coaching staff at MU. Players, coaches, fans...Nobody can stand him!