[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Enberg's "McGuire"  (Read 9975 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Re: Enberg's "McGuire"
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2017, 10:28:36 AM »
I'm also seeing it Wednesday afternoon. Looking forward to it, will be in full Marquette regalia.

I put on MU gear.  Didn't see many others wearing the pride.  Tony came out and chatted a bit.  My guess is that he does it after each performance. 
Ludum habemus.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2017, 12:03:24 PM »
Going to see McGuire, so the Al McGuire blazer will definitely be in play...

This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2017, 12:20:13 PM »
why would this be ending if it's sold out and seems like many would like to still see it, including me?  couldn't they video it and turn it into a movie?  i mean the play.  i understand a movie would lose something, but a video of the play.  i also understand that seeing it live is 3/4's of the experience, but...play it again baby
don't...don't don't don't don't

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2017, 12:28:06 PM »
why would this be ending if it's sold out and seems like many would like to still see it, including me?  couldn't they video it and turn it into a movie?  i mean the play.  i understand a movie would lose something, but a video of the play.  i also understand that seeing it live is 3/4's of the experience, but...play it again baby

They're planning to have more showings this summer.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2017, 02:24:00 PM »
They're planning to have more showings this summer.

thank you...supply and demand
don't...don't don't don't don't

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2020, 08:17:23 AM »
“McGuire” set to return March 23-April 18, 2021 at the Quadracci Powerhouse theater.  Seating limited to 35% capacity, face masks required.  Will also be offered virtually.  Don’t see details on how that part would work.
Ludum habemus.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2020, 09:00:21 AM »
“McGuire” set to return March 23-April 18, 2021 at the Quadracci Powerhouse theater.  Seating limited to 35% capacity, face masks required.  Will also be offered virtually.  Don’t see details on how that part would work.

Thanks for the heads up. Never had a chance to see it, but will definitely try to check it out on the virtual feed.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2020, 09:39:06 AM »

Thanks for the heads up. Never had a chance to see it, but will definitely try to check it out on the virtual feed.

I’ve gotten to see it twice. As a 2011 alum who has read a lot about Al McGuire, it was so cool to see him come to life. I’ve heard nothing but rave reviews of the actor and his ability to capture Al.

Also, I was a bit surprised to see an event in March 2021 already planning for 35% capacity.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2020, 12:54:12 PM »

Also, I was a bit surprised to see an event in March 2021 already planning for 35% capacity.

Because they want to sell tickets NOW.  I am sure if things significantly improve in the next six months, more seats will open up.
Have some patience, FFS.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2020, 12:57:56 PM »

Yep, that part was just doing today's small bit to crush any hope I have of things getting better.

warriorjoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2020, 06:30:44 PM »
Da Judge:

The Detroit story is recounted in my book "You Can Call Me Al: The Colorful Journey of College Basketball's Original Flower Child Al McGure" (Centennial Edition).

That and at least one other story where Al was accused of being involved in on-floor melees are included.

After one of the fracases Al said, "If I were a university I wouldn't hire me."

Go Warriors!

P.S. The original "Al" in Dick Enberg's one-man show was actor Cotter Smith. Anthony Crivello picked up where he left off. The fact that Anthony was able to watch Al up close and personal as an MU cheerleader, gives him a great perspective on Al.

daduv7

• Walk-On
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2020, 07:07:23 PM »
Da Judge:

The Detroit story is recounted in my book "You Can Call Me Al: The Colorful Journey of College Basketball's Original Flower Child Al McGure" (Centennial Edition).

That and at least one other story where Al was accused of being involved in on-floor melees are included.

After one of the fracases Al said, "If I were a university I wouldn't hire me."

Go Warriors!

P.S. The original "Al" in Dick Enberg's one-man show was actor Cotter Smith. Anthony Crivello picked up where he left off. The fact that Anthony was able to watch Al up close and personal as an MU cheerleader, gives him a great perspective on Al.
It was an eye popping experience
I was late grade school as I remember
My dad was the chief judge in Milwaukee
They were refusing to set bail and Al was going to spend the night in the Wayne County jail
First Father Raynor calls the house; than Sam Sauceda; then a lawyer (Boyle maybe or could have been Tom Duffey who was really close to Al but did not do criminal law)
Dad had to beg the Wayne County Sheriff to have their chief judge call him
Bail got set;Al got out; my guess is the injured cop got a check; charges weren’t issued.
Think I have the book and will check it out
Also think I have 2 user names
Daduv7 and dajudge

warriorjoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2020, 08:26:31 PM »
MU lost to Detroit in overtime 94-92. A Detroit fan came out of the stands after the game and started yelling at Pat Smith. Pat proceeded to knock the guy down. The police grabbed Pat. Al tried to get the cop off Pat Smith.

Al was charged with assaulting the policeman. The accusation was that Al slugged the cop and loosened one of his teeth. Al insisted that he did not hit anyone. His explanation was that he saw two guys with blue hats on top of Pat. Al thought they were ushers.

The policeman backed off from his charge and said that he was mistaken. It was someone else who had hit him, not Al. Al was released on a $27.50 bond.

An embarrassed McGuire said afterward: "If I were a university, I wouldn't hire me."

The entire escapade is detailed in my book.

It will be 20 years this January that Al had a soft landing in the dancing lights.

Go Warriors!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 09:10:53 PM by warriorjoe »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2020, 08:29:46 PM »
Because they want to sell tickets NOW.  I am sure if things significantly improve in the next six months, more seats will open up.

Orr it will bee canceled, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2020, 08:57:11 PM »
Anyone know when the tickets go on sale

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2020, 11:02:19 PM »
MU lost to Detroit in overtime 94-92. A Detroit fan came out of the stands after the game and started yelling at Pat Smith. Pat proceeded to knock the guy down. The police grabbed Pat. Al tried to get the cop off Pat Smith.

Al was charged with assaulting the policeman. The accusation was that Al slugged the cop and loosened one of his teeth. Al insisted that he did not hit anyone. His explanation was that he saw two guys with blue hats on top of Pat. Al thought they were ushers.

The policeman backed off from his charge and said that he was mistaken. It was someone else who had hit him, not Al. Al was released on a $27.50 bond.

An embarrassed McGuire said afterward: "If I were a university, I wouldn't hire me."

It will be 20 years this January that Al had a soft landing in the dancing lights.

Go Warriors!

Hello

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2020, 04:56:36 PM »
Ludum habemus.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2020, 08:13:40 PM »

Go Warriors!

Great story. Loved your book, and love when you remind us of crazy stuff like this.

warriorjoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2020, 08:51:57 PM »
Thank you.

Getting a chance to talk to Coach Al, Hank, Rick and even guys like Pat Smith, Hughie McMahon, Bo, and even a number of the old coaches like Wooden, Dean Smith, Lou Carnesecca, Red Auerbach, Dave Gavitt, John Kundla, Ray and Joey Meyer and many others is even more important to me today since almost all of them are gone. I was fortunate to interview them when I had the chance.

All told, I interviewed 140 people who had either grown up with Al, played for him at Dartmouth, Belmont Abbey and Marquette, coaches back then and some of Al's family members.

As I note in one of the blogs ("When Al McGuire Said Yes") on my website (www.jdmpress.net), Al could have told me to get out of his life any number of times, but he did not. I was fortunate as an MU grad that he gave me the green light to write his story.

Go Warriors!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 10:35:19 PM by warriorjoe »

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2020, 12:01:08 PM »
Is Crivello related to Atty Frank Crivello (dec'd)?

daduv7

• Walk-On
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2020, 12:18:29 PM »
Is Crivello related to Atty Frank Crivello (dec'd)?
Not absolutely certain but don’t believe he is

i71_dawg

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2020, 07:22:41 AM »
I've heard so many good things about this play...wish they would get a performance of it professionally filmed and produced and then make it available online/streaming (on Amazon Prime, YouTube, etc.).

That hasn't been done for this one, has it? 

MUBB fan for nearly 30 years

feedback