[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Xavier  (Read 8654 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Xavier
« on: February 27, 2017, 11:46:37 AM »
Biggest game of the year on Wednesday.  How do we get the season sweep on Xavier?

Compete on the boards/control Gaston, make Macura put the ball on the ground, don't let Jones dunk all over you, and play team defense on Blueitt.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Windyplayer

• All American
Re: Xavier
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 11:52:02 AM »
Biggest game of the year on Wednesday.  How do we get the season sweep on Xavier?

Compete on the boards/control Gaston, make Macura put the ball on the ground, don't let Jones dunk all over you, and play team defense on Blueitt.
Get a double digit lead early and break this team once and for all.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 11:52:54 AM »
I have a feeling they are going to shut Markus down(probably see Bluiett on him) so someone else is going to have to step up.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

geagles10

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 11:56:32 AM »
This is going to be a way tougher win that it was going to be at Providence. Yes Xavier has been loosing but still a solid team with individual talent as well.  I have a bad feeling about this one....

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 11:57:23 AM »

Hope the floor is dry. If it is, we got this.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 11:57:47 AM »
X is going to be very hungry.  They see their season slipping away.  We're going to need to play well.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 12:04:38 PM »
Battle hard on every possession.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 12:05:35 PM »
I feel like we say every game is the biggest game of the year. But i do agree need this win would be huge if we could win

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 12:15:38 PM »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 12:19:11 PM »
X is going to be very hungry.  They see their season slipping away.  We're going to need to play well.

Probably what they're saying about us on the X board....

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 12:27:06 PM »
Probably what they're saying about us on the X board....

Some similarities for sure, but we haven't lost 5 straight after losing our PG....

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 12:34:27 PM »
It will be a very interesting game. MU really did not play well, when they beat them in Milwaukee. MU shot 36 threes, which shows they were just throwing up shots instead of competing. Howard made 9 threes and the rest of the team made 4. Howard does not have to be as good as he was in that game, but the rest of the team needs to be much better. The other thing that I thought was unusual about the Milwaukee game was the number of times an MU guard ended up with the rebound when the ball squirted out from the battle for the rebound underneath the board. It seemed like everyone of Xavier players were aggressively going after the rebound and we ended up with at least three fast breaks when the ball bounced out.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 12:36:06 PM »
Some similarities for sure, but we haven't lost 5 straight after losing our PG....

They actually won their first 3 games without Sumner, including at Creighton.  Their first loss in this streak was at Nova where Bluiett got hurt, and then he missed the next 2 after that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 12:37:58 PM »
They actually won their first 3 games without Sumner, including at Creighton.  Their first loss in this streak was at Nova where Bluiett got hurt, and then he missed the next 2 after that.

Not really what I meant, but yah.  They've lost 5 straight games, without their point guard.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 12:44:42 PM »
Keys to the game will be preventing Bluiett from going off and holding our own against Gaston inside. Even before Sumner went out this X team was winning but not fully clicking; the Sumner/Bluiett combo was able to pull out some games. They really miss the inside presence Farr and Reynolds gave them last year. Gaston's been stepping up, but is still up and down. We can get this game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 12:45:46 PM »
Not really what I meant, but yah.  They've lost 5 straight games, without their point guard.

Gotcha misread.  Thought you meant that since losing their PG they had lost 5 straight games.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 12:47:37 PM »
The boys are going to need their A game, IMO. Tough place to win and X has back against the wall as well. I believe it will need to be their best, or nearly best, to pull this one out. Will be interesting to see how hey respond after Saturday's loss. Saturday might end being very tough to put in the rear view mirror.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 01:08:50 PM »
We are very fortunate to get Creighton twice without Watson and Xavier twice without Sumner (and once without Blueitt). If we can't get to 10-8 or at least 9-9 under those circumstances we don't deserve the NCAAs.

That said, I'm very worried about Xavier - think they'll come out hungry.

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 01:16:20 PM »
Xaviers offense seemed to have found its groove a bit vs. Butler, so they'll definitely be a more effective team on the offensive end on Wednesday.

But, even though our eFg didn't really reflect it - I thought we had our way with their 1-3-1 zone. We were able to Howard & Rowsey 22 looks from 3.

Sumner was the main reason we lost two games last year vs. X (by 8 each time)

Last year, they played in 34 games and had only 2 games with an opponent TOV% 11.0 or less. Both of those were against Marquette.

This year, they've played in 22 games with Sumner. Opponents had a TOV% off 11.0 or less in only 1 game.

Since Sumner went down? 6 of their 8 games have been at 11% or less. They only won one of those games.. by 2 vs. Seton Hall.

Last year- they had only 4 games with a DRTg of 111 or higher. This year, they already have 8 - 5 of which have come without Sumner.

This just isn't the same defense without Sumner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 01:16:40 PM »
This game will have a tournament like feel to it. After having been through that environment at Providence, we may be better prepared to close things out at the end.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 01:22:34 PM »

He is wrong.  The best way to win is to hold the opponent to fewer points.

We need to play D, especially against X.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 01:24:13 PM »
This game will have a tournament like feel to it. After having been through that environment at Providence, we may be better prepared to close things out at the end.
What's frustrating is that you don't often find yourself in that position on the road. Hopefully, we do again on Wednesday.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 01:25:31 PM »
I feel like we say every game is the biggest game of the year. But i do agree need this win would be huge if we could win

Really I hadn't noticed anyone doing that

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 06:15:47 PM »
It will be a very interesting game. MU really did not play well, when they beat them in Milwaukee. MU shot 36 threes, which shows they were just throwing up shots instead of competing. Howard made 9 threes and the rest of the team made 4. Howard does not have to be as good as he was in that game, but the rest of the team needs to be much better. The other thing that I thought was unusual about the Milwaukee game was the number of times an MU guard ended up with the rebound when the ball squirted out from the battle for the rebound underneath the board. It seemed like everyone of Xavier players were aggressively going after the rebound and we ended up with at least three fast breaks when the ball bounced out.
I don't know being at the game felt we played one of our best 40 minutes of the season. Sure Markus carried us on the offense but that is our game one of ghe oustide shooters can carry our offense. Sometimes Rowsey others KR.
Goal is National Championship

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 08:18:30 PM »
Play like yo hair's on fire, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"