collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 01:40:18 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2017 Season  (Read 270005 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: MLB 2017 Season
« Reply #1700 on: October 15, 2017, 11:23:03 PM »
1) Arrieta 2) Murphy 3) Turner

Top 3 most obvious PED users in the MLB.

Pretty sure Braun is number 1.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1701 on: October 16, 2017, 06:15:32 AM »
This is well said about Maddon. He brings a good mindset/attitude to the clubhouse, but in pressure situations, he's at best mediocre in his decision making. He'll always have a WS title to his name, but overrated for sure.

Definitely a bit mad scientist, a guy who is incredibly entertaining, and for the foreseeable future untouchable because he was in charge when the Cubs finally won one, but as far as game time decisions, agreed completely. Not as bad with pitchers as Dusty was, but if it's anything more than getting 8 innings from a starter and 1 from a closer, you kind of know there'll be second guessing going on.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1702 on: October 16, 2017, 08:42:00 AM »

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1703 on: October 16, 2017, 09:05:21 AM »

Don't forget you also said strongly implied the entire Cubs starting rotation.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1704 on: October 16, 2017, 09:06:08 AM »
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Aren't you retired?  I would think one of the biggest benefits of retirement was not running short on sleep.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1705 on: October 16, 2017, 09:07:41 AM »
Don't forget you also said strongly implied the entire Cubs starting rotation.

I did?  Hmm.  I could've sworn I actually said "No" when asked that question.  But maybe that's "saying" or "strongly implying" that they all did.  Would love to see where I said/implied that.

Still waiting for unleashrowsey to bring up my post about not caring about sports, too.  That would (still) be news to me...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #1706 on: October 16, 2017, 09:14:19 AM »

In other news. The League of legends championship beat out the world series in ratings in 2015

Not really.  You are comparing concurrent streaming to TV ratings, that's flawed from the start. You're also comparing global access to US only access. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1707 on: October 16, 2017, 09:25:04 AM »
Aren't you retired?  I would think one of the biggest benefits of retirement was not running short on sleep.

Can't spell retired without tired!

Only semi-retired. I'm almost busier now than when I worked FT. Good thing the 'roids help keep me focused!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1708 on: October 16, 2017, 09:27:48 AM »
Definitely a bit mad scientist, a guy who is incredibly entertaining, and for the foreseeable future untouchable because he was in charge when the Cubs finally won one, but as far as game time decisions, agreed completely. Not as bad with pitchers as Dusty was, but if it's anything more than getting 8 innings from a starter and 1 from a closer, you kind of know there'll be second guessing going on.

Joe Maddon is great in the clubhouse. He keeps guys loose, he keeps guys on their toes and he keeps things in perspective. His style isn't for everyone (Warren, Montero, etc) but it's hard to argue against its effectiveness considering the guy's going to be in the HOF when all is said and done. As a Cubs fan, I like Joe Maddon but I definitely don't like him as much as his #1 fan... Joe Maddon.

Keeping guys loose and on their toes has its advantages during the regular season but when you put players into uncomfortable positions in the postseason, it can backfire spectacularly. His strategy left a lot to be desired in the 2016 postseason (most notably in WS Game 7) but that's something he has never conceded. He does what he does, for better or worse. That's an admirable trait, but it can also be incredibly frustrating.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1709 on: October 16, 2017, 10:03:21 AM »
+1 on the general Maddon consensus in this thread. Kind of wonder if he'll outgrow his utility to that team somewhere around 2019. Bryant and Contreras will be 27, Rizzo will be 30, Russell and Baez will still be young at 25 & 26 but will have more service time, and they'll probably add some more veterans to plug holes over the years a la Zobrist, Heyward. I feel like Maddon's personality is more important to a young club over 162 games to help them grow into the game, than it is for a batch of vets used to winning. At that point, you might just want a guy that relies on analytics and makes the statistically correct decisions.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1710 on: October 16, 2017, 10:17:07 AM »
+1 on the general Maddon consensus in this thread. Kind of wonder if he'll outgrow his utility to that team somewhere around 2019. Bryant and Contreras will be 27, Rizzo will be 30, Russell and Baez will still be young at 25 & 26 but will have more service time, and they'll probably add some more veterans to plug holes over the years a la Zobrist, Heyward. I feel like Maddon's personality is more important to a young club over 162 games to help them grow into the game, than it is for a batch of vets used to winning. At that point, you might just want a guy that relies on analytics and makes the statistically correct decisions.

After winning the WS, Maddon got a pay raise but no contract extension. His current deal lasts through 2019, at which point he'll be 65. It wouldn't be surprising to see him retire then or move into a cushy "advisor" role in the organization so that the Cubs can bring in someone new.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1711 on: October 16, 2017, 10:32:26 AM »
As already stated, the decision to bring in Lackey was inexplicable.  I'd rather go down with Duensing or even Rondon at that point.  There's no excuse for it. 

I like Maddon but what is so frustrating is his unwillingness to take accountability for poor decisions, specifically games 6 and 7 last year. 

Rich Hill left a ton of hittable fastballs right over the plate last night and the Cubs either took them or swung right through them.  I've never seen Bryant look this bad - it's bizarre. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1712 on: October 16, 2017, 10:42:04 AM »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1713 on: October 16, 2017, 11:16:30 AM »
As already stated, the decision to bring in Lackey was inexplicable.  I'd rather go down with Duensing or even Rondon at that point.  There's no excuse for it. 

I like Maddon but what is so frustrating is his unwillingness to take accountability for poor decisions, specifically games 6 and 7 last year. 

Rich Hill left a ton of hittable fastballs right over the plate last night and the Cubs either took them or swung right through them.  I've never seen Bryant look this bad - it's bizarre.

Not to mention Edwards was pitching very well and he only got 1.3 innings. Why pull him so quickly?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1714 on: October 16, 2017, 11:19:53 AM »
As a Brewer fan, I don't have much experience with playoff baseball. Is the using the starters in relief a new thing? I understand wanting your best arms in the game, but at some point, you have to do what got you there. Relief is so different than starting. I can see as a long reliever to eat innings, but not 1 or 2 inning stints.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1715 on: October 16, 2017, 11:42:39 AM »
As a Brewer fan, I don't have much experience with playoff baseball. Is the using the starters in relief a new thing? I understand wanting your best arms in the game, but at some point, you have to do what got you there. Relief is so different than starting. I can see as a long reliever to eat innings, but not 1 or 2 inning stints.

Seattle did it with Randy Johnson in the mid-90s and he did it again with Arizona and the Yankees in the early 2000s so it's not necessarily new. However, I believe it really became en vogue when Madison Bumgarner notched a 5-inning saving in 2014 WS Game 7. Managers have been using it with mixed result as very few starters are of the caliber of Johnson and Bumgarner.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1716 on: October 16, 2017, 12:22:50 PM »
By the way, Contreras is super annoying as a catcher.  He make more mound visits than Joe Mauer did.  How many trips did he make yesterday?  50?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1717 on: October 16, 2017, 12:29:40 PM »

Mark Buehrle closed a game (albiet extra innings) in the 2005 World Series.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1718 on: October 16, 2017, 12:47:31 PM »
By the way, Contreras is super annoying as a catcher.  He make more mound visits than Joe Mauer did.  How many trips did he make yesterday?  50?

Yes, 50.   ::)

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1719 on: October 16, 2017, 01:34:18 PM »
Mark Buehrle closed a game (albiet extra innings) in the 2005 World Series.
Cy Young pitched in relief in the 1903 World Series.  It's been going on forever.  In the old days you had 4 man rotations and the 4th starter wasn't needed in the World Series with the travel days and was moved to the bullpen.  Now there are 5 starters and the fifth starter (or sometimes someone better than the fifth starter if they have relief experience) moves to the pen, like Lackey.  What's changed is rather than using that fifth starter to eat up innings with an early starter departure, they're starting to use them like regular relievers and hoping for the best. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1720 on: October 16, 2017, 01:40:52 PM »
Cy Young pitched in relief in the 1903 World Series.  It's been going on forever.  In the old days you had 4 man rotations and the 4th starter wasn't needed in the World Series with the travel days and was moved to the bullpen.  Now there are 5 starters and the fifth starter (or sometimes someone better than the fifth starter if they have relief experience) moves to the pen, like Lackey.  What's changed is rather than using that fifth starter to eat up innings with an early starter departure, they're starting to use them like regular relievers and hoping for the best.

This makes sense. And I think where managers get into trouble is conflating the faith they have in their 4th/5th starter with their 4th/5th starter having great stuff. A guy like Lackey earns a lot of faith from Maddon by pitching pretty well, eating innings, giving the Cubs a better chance to win games than most teams have with their back end starters. But if you compare his pure stuff over 30 pitches to a guy like Davis or even Rondon, that's just not what Lackey is built to give you.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #1721 on: October 16, 2017, 02:19:35 PM »
Yes, 50.   ::)
after Puig got on second there were a LOT of mound visits and steps off the mound.  50? no, but there were way too many.  You can fault your manager for having Lackey in but he was never allowed to get into any kind of rhythm.  Ya gotta admit it was unusual at a minimum.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1722 on: October 16, 2017, 02:26:57 PM »
after Puig got on second there were a LOT of mound visits and steps off the mound.  50? no, but there were way too many.  You can fault your manager for having Lackey in but he was never allowed to get into any kind of rhythm.  Ya gotta admit it was unusual at a minimum.

It took Lackey five minutes to throw six pitches to Chris Taylor.

https://deadspin.com/john-lackey-should-be-in-jail-1819503434

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1723 on: October 16, 2017, 03:27:24 PM »
Simple fix. Unless there is a mound visit, you throw a pitch in 20 seconds from the time a pitcher gets the ball back in his hand or a ball is called

Pitchers would adjust quickly and game times would be shorter. And, if the batter decides to not be in the batter's box? Too bad. The pitch stands.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1724 on: October 16, 2017, 03:34:58 PM »
Not really.  You are comparing concurrent streaming to TV ratings, that's flawed from the start. You're also comparing global access to US only access.

The world series has concurrent streaming, has for quite a while. The world series is most definitely watchable around the globe.

feedback