[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2017 Season  (Read 270053 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: MLB 2017 Season
« Reply #1675 on: October 14, 2017, 10:04:57 PM »
One stupid rule helped the Cubs Thursday night. One stupid rule hurts the Cubs tonight.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1676 on: October 14, 2017, 10:08:24 PM »
Puig is a tool, that was a bad call. The throw took him across the plate.

I don’t think so. He clearly kicked his leg out. And I honestly don’t find it to be a bad rule. I guess it comes down to whether or not you think a fielder should be able to block a runner from being able to touch the bag. Personally I like that the fielder can’t. The only reason the runner couldn’t touch the base was because he was blocked from the base by the fielder. If a baserunner can’t block a fielder from making a clean throw (double play situation, etc) then I don’t have a problem with a fielder not being able to block a runner from being able to touch a base.

Unless the Cubs get 2 runs here it won’t end up mattering though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1677 on: October 14, 2017, 10:09:56 PM »
Maddon should probably be more mad that his bullpen kinda sucks than over that call.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1678 on: October 14, 2017, 10:16:50 PM »
Maddon should probably be more mad that his bullpen kinda sucks than over that call.

That rule is as dumb as the NFL pass possession rule with its 50 caveats. Let the players play.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 10:21:25 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1679 on: October 14, 2017, 10:20:04 PM »
That rule is a dumb as the NFL pass possession rule with its 50 caveats. Let the players play.

I don't disagree, flip side is if old rule is in place, Contreras likely gets bulldozed there.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1680 on: October 14, 2017, 10:30:21 PM »
I don't disagree, flip side is if old rule is in place, Contreras likely gets bulldozed there.

The rule was intended to protect the catcher but what that play proves, is is unfair for the fielder and favors the runner. It was a bang bang play where the catcher had to swing to the left to catch and apply the tag.

They review it in slow motion and determine he was blocking the plate as he is receiving the ball.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1681 on: October 14, 2017, 11:40:25 PM »
The rule was intended to protect the catcher but what that play proves, is is unfair for the fielder and favors the runner. It was a bang bang play where the catcher had to swing to the left to catch and apply the tag.

They review it in slow motion and determine he was blocking the plate as he is receiving the ball.

As Wades said, there are other rules that favor the fielder.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1682 on: October 15, 2017, 01:00:38 AM »
I don’t think so. He clearly kicked his leg out. And I honestly don’t find it to be a bad rule. I guess it comes down to whether or not you think a fielder should be able to block a runner from being able to touch the bag. Personally I like that the fielder can’t. The only reason the runner couldn’t touch the base was because he was blocked from the base by the fielder. If a baserunner can’t block a fielder from making a clean throw (double play situation, etc) then I don’t have a problem with a fielder not being able to block a runner from being able to touch a base.

Unless the Cubs get 2 runs here it won’t end up mattering though.

It didn't matter but it's still an awful rule. The throw absolutely took him in that direction.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1683 on: October 15, 2017, 01:03:08 AM »
And 5 minutes after I post that he makes the throw of his life.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1684 on: October 15, 2017, 01:06:11 AM »
It didn't matter but it's still an awful rule. The throw absolutely took him in that direction.

He kicked his leg out as far as he possibly could for one reason only and that was to block Culverson from the plate.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1685 on: October 15, 2017, 01:34:22 PM »
I didn't see the play, but the ESPN broadcasters seemed to immediately think the initial call would be overturned and couldn't believe Maddon was arguing.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1686 on: October 15, 2017, 04:49:38 PM »
I didn't see the play, but the ESPN broadcasters seemed to immediately think the initial call would be overturned and couldn't believe Maddon was arguing.

I don’t think anyone, including Maddon, thinks they got the call wrong. Everyone, including the umpires on the field think it is an over legislated rule where a Wizard of Oz in NY determines what a clear channel is or isn’t, in slow motion.

Joe was grandstanding to make a statement and to try and jolt his team.  Being an ex-catcher, he feels it was a perfectly executed baseball play and the rule is incredibly flawed, which it is.  But it is a rule now built for instant replay just like the NFL possession rule.

End of the day, though, the Cubs just need hits or it’s cutains.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #1687 on: October 15, 2017, 08:15:24 PM »
One stupid rule helped the Cubs Thursday night. One stupid rule hurts the Cubs tonight.

Definitely a stupid rule.  Lackey had it right, the softening of baseball has hurt the game. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1688 on: October 15, 2017, 09:23:01 PM »
Definitely a stupid rule.  Lackey had it right, the softening of baseball has hurt the game.

What do the ratings say?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1689 on: October 15, 2017, 09:34:25 PM »
What do the ratings say?

Just looking at world series ratings.

Took a sharp downturn after 04 from 20m plus to around 12-15m. 05-15 is the lowest ratings in a long time. 16 shot the ratings way up. But I think there was alternative reasons for that one. We will see if that continues this year.

In other news. The League of legends championship beat out the world series in ratings in 2015

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1690 on: October 15, 2017, 09:50:20 PM »

Nah. For how often collisions at home or breaking up double plays end in real injury, they should absolutely be legislated out of the game. They're so rare, such a risk to the players, and serve no purpose other than proving who the "tough guys" are. I thought we had unwritten rules for that.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1691 on: October 15, 2017, 10:01:57 PM »
I sound like a broken record...

Joe Maddon made some odd bullpen decisions tonight.

Did Wade Davis leave the stadium or something in like the 5th inning?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1692 on: October 15, 2017, 10:22:39 PM »

Going to Lackey instead of Davis seemed odd when you consider Lackey has never pitched on consecutive nights before. I understand that you're hoping for someone that can maybe give a couple innings in that spot, but you have to figure you'd pinch hit for any pitcher as soon as they're up, so why not use your best guy there?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1693 on: October 15, 2017, 10:27:09 PM »

Maddon said later that Davis was available for only one inning so he was only going to use Davis in a save situation. He was prepared to use Lackey for 2 innings or more.

I said to Mrs. 82 during the pitching change: "Why Lackey? He's a shell of what he used to be. If they can't use Davis, they should just stay with Duensing."

ESPN is playing the Gibson homer from '88 with the classic Buck call: "I don't believe what I just saw!"

I get it. It was the 29th anniversary of that HR, it was a Dodgers winning HR, etc. But c'mon ...

Lackey against Turner?

I most definitely COULD believe what I just saw!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1694 on: October 15, 2017, 10:35:30 PM »
Maddon lucked into the Cubs offense last year masking his poor bullpen decision making. That's not happening this year.

Turner was 3-6 (now 4-7) lifetime against Lackey. Everything about bringing him in made ZERO sense, between the consecutive nights being used, bringing a starter into the middle of an inning with a runner on, his velocity hitting just low 90's.

Maddon's postgame comments were just absurd. So basically he wasn't bringing Davis in unless the Cubs got a lead. Utterly ridiculous.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1695 on: October 15, 2017, 10:45:17 PM »
Yahoo calling Maddon “Buck Showalter”.  Considering the travel day tomorrow, it was really inexcusable not to bring in Davis.

That said, the Cubs are swinging (and usually missing) at every pitch. KB, Rizzo and Contreras have been horrendous.

https://sports.yahoo.com/joe-maddon-pulled-buck-showalter-032301912.html

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1696 on: October 15, 2017, 10:48:49 PM »
Maddon lucked into the Cubs offense last year masking his poor bullpen decision making. That's not happening this year.

Turner was 3-6 (now 4-7) lifetime against Lackey. Everything about bringing him in made ZERO sense, between the consecutive nights being used, bringing a starter into the middle of an inning with a runner on, his velocity hitting just low 90's.

Maddon's postgame comments were just absurd. So basically he wasn't bringing Davis in unless the Cubs got a lead. Utterly ridiculous.

Every Cubs fan saw that happening.  I had NO faith in Lackey there.  I was praying he lucked into an out of some sort with Taylor cause I knew at worst Turner was going to poke a single somewhere on a bad pitch.

For any soccer fans, Maddon reminds me of the Mourinho effect.  Provides magic in the locker room, gets teams to play together, but that wears off.  He doesn't get toxic like Mourinho, but I think the spark he brings and provides is past. 

I firmly believe that team doesn't gel quickly and get to back to back NLCS's without him.  But he couldn't manage a bullpen last year and its even worse this year.  He's holding the team back.  Baseball is funny and the Cubs could easily win this series in 6 or 7, but margins are very thin and he's severely disadvantaged in late game pitching talent, without him bumbling through it.

KB has been as bad as Ive ever seen an elite talent be.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1697 on: October 15, 2017, 10:54:48 PM »
1) Arrieta 2) Murphy 3) Turner

Top 3 most obvious PED users in the MLB.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1698 on: October 15, 2017, 10:57:15 PM »
back to back NLCS's

Back to back to back.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1699 on: October 15, 2017, 11:02:19 PM »
Every Cubs fan saw that happening.  I had NO faith in Lackey there.  I was praying he lucked into an out of some sort with Taylor cause I knew at worst Turner was going to poke a single somewhere on a bad pitch.

For any soccer fans, Maddon reminds me of the Mourinho effect.  Provides magic in the locker room, gets teams to play together, but that wears off.  He doesn't get toxic like Mourinho, but I think the spark he brings and provides is past. 

I firmly believe that team doesn't gel quickly and get to back to back NLCS's without him.  But he couldn't manage a bullpen last year and its even worse this year.  He's holding the team back.  Baseball is funny and the Cubs could easily win this series in 6 or 7, but margins are very thin and he's severely disadvantaged in late game pitching talent, without him bumbling through it.

KB has been as bad as Ive ever seen an elite talent be.

This is well said about Maddon. He brings a good mindset/attitude to the clubhouse, but in pressure situations, he's at best mediocre in his decision making. He'll always have a WS title to his name, but overrated for sure.