[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2017 Season  (Read 269605 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: MLB 2017 Season
« Reply #1650 on: October 13, 2017, 09:29:33 AM »
The old school baseball guy in me thought the same thing.  But in the brave new world of baseball bunting is the scarlet letter.

Unless you're Matt Wieters

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1651 on: October 13, 2017, 09:32:37 AM »
Quintana should go Game 1, use Lackey (or Montgomery) if you need to.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1652 on: October 13, 2017, 09:41:09 AM »
Exactly. He was likely going to be the long man if any pitchers struggled in the first couple of innings.

I'd be tempted to go with Lackey in Game 1, Q in Game 2 and Lester in Game 3 on regular rest after his 55-pitch relief appearance. Lackey didn't have a great season but he had a 2.73 ERA over the last month. It'd give the rest of your starters a chance to get back on schedule a bit and the Cubs do not want to get into a bullpen battle with the Dodgers.

That said, my best guess in that we'll see Quintana in Game 1, Lester in Game 2 and Arrieta in Game 3.

I think you've gotta go Q in game 1 if he's ready.  I think we see Hendricks in 3 as that would be normal rest and Arrieta in 4 - just a guess. 

Rondon needs to make the roster.

Honestly, I'm not sure Lackey is necessary if you think Q can go in game 1 and feel good about Arrieta's hamstring. 

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1653 on: October 13, 2017, 09:41:53 AM »
The old school baseball guy in me thought the same thing.  But in the brave new world of baseball bunting is the scarlet letter.
If Nats were down a run I would've bunted.  Down two, I wouldn't.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1654 on: October 13, 2017, 09:54:36 AM »
Quintana should go Game 1, use Lackey (or Montgomery) if you need to.

Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1655 on: October 13, 2017, 09:54:47 AM »
Unless you're Matt Wieters

I love that bunt against the shift.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1656 on: October 13, 2017, 09:54:54 AM »
I think you've gotta go Q in game 1 if he's ready.  I think we see Hendricks in 3 as that would be normal rest and Arrieta in 4 - just a guess. 

Rondon needs to make the roster.

Honestly, I'm not sure Lackey is necessary if you think Q can go in game 1 and feel good about Arrieta's hamstring.

Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1657 on: October 13, 2017, 09:56:00 AM »
Exactly. He was likely going to be the long man if any pitchers struggled in the first couple of innings.

Umm, I think that is exactly what happened yesterday and it wasn't Lackey.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1658 on: October 13, 2017, 10:02:09 AM »
Umm, I think that is exactly what happened yesterday and it wasn't Lackey.

Nope. Hendricks made it through 4. That's not the first couple innings.

I love that bunt against the shift.

As a Cubs fan, I hated that bunt. As a baseball fan, it was a really smart play. When they showed the shift, I said to my sons, "He's got to bunt it" and they both laughed at me. They were then blown away by my genius. It doesn't take much to impress 8-year-olds  ;)

Good point. Although, Montgomery had been Maddon's go-to long-man but he struggled in his 2 NLDS appearances which could open the door for Lackey to be on the roster. Rondon needs to be there over either Wilson or Lackey.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 10:05:24 AM by MerrittsMustache »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1659 on: October 13, 2017, 10:10:13 AM »
Nope. Hendricks made it through 4. That's not the first couple innings.

While true, he didn't exactly bridge to the reliable part of the pen either.  I would have thought Lackey was preferrable to Montgomery, Strop, Duensing and co.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1660 on: October 13, 2017, 10:11:38 AM »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1661 on: October 13, 2017, 10:12:53 AM »
While true, he didn't exactly bridge to the reliable part of the pen either.  I would have thought Lackey was preferrable to Montgomery, Strop, Duensing and co.

Definitely not.  All three of those guys have been pretty reliable this season and had really good years.  Lackey had a nice second half but is really prone to the HR, which is magnified in the playoffs. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1662 on: October 13, 2017, 10:42:52 AM »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1663 on: October 13, 2017, 11:13:10 AM »

I didn't really care about whether he bunted or not. But he had to make Davis throw pitches. It was a terrible AB for two reasons.

1. He had just walked two batters in a row. Lind comes up and swings at the 1st pitch.

2. Maddon had his cards on the table. Davis, who never throws more than one inning was the horse he was riding for the last 2 1/3 innings. At the point when Lind stepped to the plate, Davis had already thrown 20 pitches and still had 6 outs to go (not to mention the 2 walks). Make him go deep into the count. They had a chance to get him into the 50 pitch area.

Maybe if Dusty managed as hard as he chews on his toothpick, things would have turned out different. It's not against the rules to tell Lind to look at some pitches.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1664 on: October 13, 2017, 11:31:19 AM »
I love me some Chris Sale, but this kind of start is pretty typical for him.
If I'm a BoSox fan, I'm worrying about this yearly late-season fade.

You were right on about this.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1665 on: October 13, 2017, 02:33:27 PM »
I didn't really care about whether he bunted or not. But he had to make Davis throw pitches. It was a terrible AB for two reasons.

1. He had just walked two batters in a row. Lind comes up and swings at the 1st pitch.

2. Maddon had his cards on the table. Davis, who never throws more than one inning was the horse he was riding for the last 2 1/3 innings. At the point when Lind stepped to the plate, Davis had already thrown 20 pitches and still had 6 outs to go (not to mention the 2 walks). Make him go deep into the count. They had a chance to get him into the 50 pitch area.

Maybe if Dusty managed as hard as he chews on his toothpick, things would have turned out different. It's not against the rules to tell Lind to look at some pitches.

Yeah definitely.  It is a little league rule.  If the pitcher is being wild, let him be wild.  Don't help him out.
There were a lot of things that happened yesterday that violate many little league lessons.

The pitch count factor is a good point as well.  Just a really terrible AB by Lind. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1666 on: October 13, 2017, 02:56:48 PM »
Yeah definitely.  It is a little league rule.  If the pitcher is being wild, let him be wild.  Don't help him out.
There were a lot of things that happened yesterday that violate many little league lessons.

The pitch count factor is a good point as well.  Just a really terrible AB by Lind.

The other mindset is that when a pitcher has walked consecutive batters, he's more likely to throw a first ball fastball down the middle. I assume that's what Lind was looking for. IOW, it's not "wrong" to swing at the first pitch against a pitcher struggling with command but you need to be very particular about your pitch. You look for a certain pitch in a certain location and if you don't get that, you keep the bat on your shoulder. Lind's AB wasn't awful because he swung at the first pitch. It was awful because he got too anxious and rolled over a curveball on the first pitch.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1667 on: October 13, 2017, 03:12:57 PM »
The other mindset is that when a pitcher has walked consecutive batters, he's more likely to throw a first ball fastball down the middle. I assume that's what Lind was looking for. IOW, it's not "wrong" to swing at the first pitch against a pitcher struggling with command but you need to be very particular about your pitch. You look for a certain pitch in a certain location and if you don't get that, you keep the bat on your shoulder. Lind's AB wasn't awful because he swung at the first pitch. It was awful because he got too anxious and rolled over a curveball on the first pitch.

To a degree you are right, but if he had rolled over the curve on 3-2 it wouldn't have been a horrible AB. 

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #1668 on: October 13, 2017, 07:20:15 PM »
Scoop at its best.

Rip a guy (Strasbourg) as gutless without any facts.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1669 on: October 14, 2017, 11:28:40 AM »
No announcement on nlcs roster? But quintana pitching game 1

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1670 on: October 14, 2017, 12:43:53 PM »
No Corey Seager is no bueno for Dodgers.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1671 on: October 14, 2017, 06:01:44 PM »
Verlander being Verlander.  I remember Cubs fans who didn't want him at the trade deadline.   That is an ace, a horse.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1672 on: October 14, 2017, 09:51:21 PM »
Schwarber is SO bad out in left field. I don’t care how many advanced stats people want to throw out there. Anything that makes him even remotely close to average is simply him being put into the right position before at bats by the coaching staff. I can’t think of many outfielders that I’ve watched that are as bad defensively as Schwarber.

Also, Puig is a tool. Making his own curtain call and throwing up his arms like he hit a walk off homer on a line drive that hardly made it to the wall.

Anyways, go Dodgers.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1673 on: October 14, 2017, 09:58:21 PM »
And 5 minutes after I post that he makes the throw of his life.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1674 on: October 14, 2017, 10:02:50 PM »
Puig is a tool, that was a bad call. The throw took him across the plate.

feedback