[Today at 02:25:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2017 Season  (Read 269613 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: MLB 2017 Season
« Reply #1075 on: September 13, 2017, 03:41:45 PM »
Now this I absolutely have an issue with.

If I were the Cubs, Cardinals, or Rockies, I'd be irate. As a Brewers fan, I expected a neutral site somewhere if it wasn't going to be Miami.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1076 on: September 13, 2017, 03:47:25 PM »
Marlins v Brewers series moved to Milwaukee this weekend!

It'll be interesting to see if all the Brewers fans who took exception to the Cubs getting special permission to move a game time back 6 hours have any issue with getting 3 bonus home games. I can guess  ;)

The Sox, Cardinals and Royals are all away this weekend. Toronto, Seattle and Arizona's domes are available (well, they're not hosting MLB games at least) although out west would be a LONG way to send the Marlins. There were potentially better options than giving a team in the pennant chase 3 additional home games. It is what it is though. If the Cubs take care of business, it shouldn't be an issue.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1077 on: September 13, 2017, 03:52:02 PM »
If I were the Cubs, Cardinals, or Rockies, I'd be irate. As a Brewers fan, I expected a neutral site somewhere if it wasn't going to be Miami.

I'd love to hear an explanation of why a neutral location was not feasible. 

This is some Grade-A bullsh*t.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1078 on: September 13, 2017, 03:58:38 PM »
Brewers .548 winning percentage at home, .500 on the road
Marlins .438 winning percentage on the road, .507 at home

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1079 on: September 13, 2017, 04:01:31 PM »
I feel like Wades would have typed about 7 pages worth of crap had this happened to the Cubs. Oh well, it's not that huge of a deal. Miller doesn't get attendance anyways.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1080 on: September 13, 2017, 04:10:54 PM »
I love it. Cubs fans getting all squirmy because they can't decide the Brewers schedule for them.

The 2008 series between the Astros and Cubs at Miller Park was totally 24,000 neutral Milwaukeeans just trying to see some baseball.

The Yankees and Rays playing a series at Citi Field this year was definitely all Mets fans filling the stands just enjoying some ball between 2 teams they don't cheer for.

And comparing a manager just deciding he wanted to change the schedule to benefit his team is definitely comparable to a team whose city was hit by a hurricane...

I feel like Wades would have typed about 7 pages worth of crap had this happened to the Cubs. Oh well, it's not that huge of a deal. Miller doesn't get attendance anyways.

What's funny is I wasn't even the one who brought up the schedule change. All the Cubbie fans got upset that the Brewers actually expected to follow their schedule.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1081 on: September 13, 2017, 04:16:30 PM »
I may be wrong on this but didn't the Astros ( a few years back) play a "home series" against the Cubs in Miller Park, where it was crawling with cub fans?  This is a little different, but not much.

Also recently I heard an interview with the owner of the Rays, and ge talked about how truly difficult it is to put on a game on short notice at a ln alternate location.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1082 on: September 13, 2017, 04:24:08 PM »
I love it. Cubs fans getting all squirmy because they can't decide the Brewers schedule for them.

The 2008 series between the Astros and Cubs at Miller Park was totally 24,000 neutral Milwaukeeans just trying to see some baseball.

The Yankees and Rays playing a series at Citi Field this year was definitely all Mets fans filling the stands just enjoying some ball between 2 teams they don't cheer for.

And comparing a manager just deciding he wanted to change the schedule to benefit his team is definitely comparable to a team whose city was hit by a hurricane...

What's funny is I wasn't even the one who brought up the schedule change. All the Cubbie fans got upset that the Brewers actually expected to follow their schedule.

Really?  Remove your head from your ass and look at it from an unbiased perspective. 

I may be wrong on this but didn't the Astros ( a few years back) play a "home series" against the Cubs in Miller Park, where it was crawling with cub fans?  This is a little different, but not much.

Also recently I heard an interview with the owner of the Rays, and ge talked about how truly difficult it is to put on a game on short notice at a ln alternate location.

You are correct, because of Hurricane Ike.  Zambrano threw a no-hitter.  While it wasn't necessarily neutral it was certainly different than playing the games at Wrigley.  If I recall correctly, Houston was very upset about it and that was understandable. 

The White Sox are out of town this weekend.  Schedule it there and let's see how many Brewers fans make the trip. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 04:26:54 PM by Vander Blue Man Group »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1083 on: September 13, 2017, 04:38:53 PM »
Really?  Remove your head from your ass and look at it from an unbiased perspective. 

You are correct, because of Hurricane Ike.  Zambrano threw a no-hitter.  While it wasn't necessarily neutral it was certainly different than playing the games at Wrigley.  If I recall correctly, Houston was very upset about it and that was understandable. 

The White Sox are out of town this weekend.  Schedule it there and let's see how many Brewers fans make the trip.

I'd assume MLB wasn't willing to risk a rain out at this point in the season which ruled out many potential host sites. Could have moved to to Arizona, although that is far for both teams.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1084 on: September 13, 2017, 05:21:47 PM »

Says the guy who said the Brewers would be out of the playoff race by the ASG, and then refused to bet on it.

Lastly, Crew in top 10 of MLB attendance this year genius.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1085 on: September 13, 2017, 05:41:52 PM »
I'd love to hear an explanation of why a neutral location was not feasible. 

This is some Grade-A bullsh*t.

'cuz dey woodant draw flies, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1086 on: September 13, 2017, 05:46:51 PM »
That's an interesting decision by the MLB. Really no neutral sites available? I'm a Brewers' fan but this definitely raises an eyebrow for me. But I can't imagine that the MLB put it in Milwaukee without exhausting all other feasible options.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1087 on: September 13, 2017, 06:04:42 PM »

Dang dude, these jabs continue to hurt!

Why would the MLB want to move the game to the Cell when the weather report calls for mostly sunny on Saturday?  Those are the exact types of conditions that result in rain outs in Chicago.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1088 on: September 13, 2017, 06:17:00 PM »
Says the guy who said the Brewers would be out of the playoff race by the ASG, and then refused to bet on it.

Lastly, Crew in top 10 of MLB attendance this year genius.

Why would I bet on it? I would have lost.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1089 on: September 13, 2017, 06:36:55 PM »

For the record, it was a helluva break for the Crew.  I did see a quote that Maddon said 'Something had to be done and he had no issue with it.'

Seems as if logistics played a huge issue, just getting stadium workers, etc.  Read that the Crew is only being allowed to open the lower deck on Friday.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:40:41 PM by jsglow »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1090 on: September 13, 2017, 07:18:51 PM »

For the record, it was a helluva break for the Crew.  I did see a quote that Maddon said 'Something had to be done and he had no issue with it.'

Seems as if logistics played a huge issue, just getting stadium workers, etc.  Read that the Crew is only being allowed to open the lower deck on Friday.

I believe that's all the employees they can find

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1091 on: September 13, 2017, 08:07:32 PM »

Don't forget that some of this might have to do with the home team hitting last ... which I assume the Marlins will get to do in these games, yes?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1092 on: September 13, 2017, 09:12:17 PM »
Well, Giancarlo should get pass 62 with the extra games at Miller Park.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1093 on: September 13, 2017, 10:03:10 PM »

Have you watched the dude's yackers? Those things aren't wall scrapers.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1094 on: September 13, 2017, 11:23:07 PM »
I'd assume MLB wasn't willing to risk a rain out at this point in the season which ruled out many potential host sites. Could have moved to to Arizona, although that is far for both teams.

This.  Given the logistics of putting together staff, support and security for a game on 48 hours' notice, there's no way you could reschedule a doubleheader on top of that if one of the first two games are rained out.  So with the Marlins and Brewers not having a common off day the remainder of the season, the possibility that you could have a three team playoff for the NL Central, a rainout would mean potentially having to cancel a travel day during the postseason (which MLBPA only allows for the teams that are actually rained out) or cancel the rained-out game (because the WS dates are set in stone).

So imagine how much bitching there would be if the Brewers won the Central by 1/2 game because they only had to play 161, and then you'll understand why MLB didn't really have much of a choice to call the Brewers.

(BTW - The Brewers did not lobby for this.... it was entirely MLB's decision.)
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1095 on: September 14, 2017, 12:42:24 AM »

Hmm.  That would probably deserve an asterisk.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1096 on: September 14, 2017, 05:39:34 AM »
Have you watched the dude's yackers? Those things aren't wall scrapers.

Dude bombs. His routine fly balls may make it out though.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1097 on: September 14, 2017, 05:40:33 AM »
Hmm.  That would probably deserve an asterisk.

Stanton? Eh... I'd believe wades on Arrieta before I'd think Stanton.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1098 on: September 14, 2017, 07:52:43 AM »

So much this.  This switch gives the Brewers between 4.8% to 6.9% better chance of winning.   Wow.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1099 on: September 14, 2017, 08:06:16 AM »
Don't forget that some of this might have to do with the home team hitting last ... which I assume the Marlins will get to do in these games, yes?

Yes, the Marlins will bat last.  I'm assuming the clubs will use their normal dugouts however.  Would think that's just how the clubhouses are connected.

feedback