[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

NIL Future by PointWarrior
[Today at 09:03:13 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2017 Season  (Read 269281 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: MLB 2017 Season
« Reply #1100 on: September 14, 2017, 08:23:03 AM »
I'm fairly confident in saying that MLB did the best job they could logistically.  Miller Park and the Brewers have shown that they can pull off these types of games on short notice in the past.  Plus (unless I missed it) we don't know who else they may have talked to.

That doesn't make it "fair."  I'm sure that was part of MLB's equation. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1101 on: September 14, 2017, 08:36:55 AM »
The Yankees got to play Tampa Bay at Citi Field in NY while the Red Sox are going to have to play them in Tampa this weekend.  On the Red Sox TV broadcast last night, they said that currently none of the traffic signals in and around the area surrounding the Trop are working, and if that remains the case tomorrow, they will play in an empty (by design) stadium.  I couldn't find any corroboration of that anywhere, though.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #1102 on: September 14, 2017, 09:06:27 AM »

I believe that's all the employees they can find

"Due to the brief lead time, staffing levels for concessions, guest services and other logistics will restrict seating capacities at Miller Park for the three games. For Friday's game, only Field Level tickets will be available for purchase -- a capacity of approximately 10,000 tickets. For the Saturday and Sunday games, the capacity will increase to approximately 23,000 with staffing for those two games extended into the Loge Level. "

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1103 on: September 14, 2017, 09:19:13 AM »
The issue is less with the Brewers playing in Miller Park and more with the fact that they don't have to travel. The time in the airport, on the plane, getting to the hotel, being away from home, etc. That's the stuff that wears on players more than simply playing in front of a different crowd at a different stadium. Since the Brewers feel so passionately about competitive balance, they should board a plane, fly for 3-4 hours and then land back in Milwaukee before being bussed to the Pfister for the weekend ;)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1104 on: September 14, 2017, 09:26:47 AM »
The issue is less with the Brewers playing in Miller Park and more with the fact that they don't have to travel. The time in the airport, on the plane, getting to the hotel, being away from home, etc. That's the stuff that wears on players more than simply playing in front of a different crowd at a different stadium. Since the Brewers feel so passionately about competitive balance, they should board a plane, fly for 3-4 hours and then land back in Milwaukee before being bussed to the Pfister for the weekend ;)

The Pfister is key, those ghosts will get you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1105 on: September 14, 2017, 09:36:04 AM »

What airlines are you flying that a flight from FL to WI is 3-4 hours? Yikes. Also, I'd be willing to wager when MLB teams are traveling they never step foot inside an airport.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1106 on: September 14, 2017, 10:36:10 AM »
Let's break this down... open MLB stadiums for this weekend:

Group 1 (Barred by Collective Bargaining Agreement)
Chavez
Oakland
Seattle
San Diego
Arizona

The CBA doesn't allow teams to play in the Eastern time zone the day after a game in the Pacific time zone (Arizona doesn't have DST, i.e. they are on Pacific time right now).  While the CBA does allow up to seven exceptions per season (for each league), Miami is scheduled to play the Mets on Monday and the Brewers are in Pittsburgh ... whether that game happens in Miami or NYC, this would add two more West-to-East games to the NL schedule which currently stands at six (AZ, LAD, SD, WAS, STL and SF have all gone W-to-E once this year).  6+2 = 8 which is > 7, so this wasn't going to happen.

Group 2 (Scheduling Conflicts)
St Louis - Staging this weekend for Billy Joel concert next week.
Baltimore - Hosting charity 5K run and related events on Saturday.
Citi - Hosting arts festival this weekend

Group 3 (Significant risks/no assurances)
Toronto - International logistics (customs, tax/financial, regulatory implications); also would need a variance from City of Toronto to add a game to the schedule.
Boston - Rain in forecast (MLB does not want to risk having to postpone or cancel a game for team in division chase); also need a variance from City of Boston
Comiskey - Rain in forecast
Kansas City - Rain in forecast

Group 4 (Possibile, but could be PR nightmares)
Pittsburgh - Cannot independently confirm this, but word on the street is there are multiple weddings scheduled at PNC Park this weekend.
Arlington - Maybe... but Texas' resources are already being taxed enough as it is, and I think humanitarian concerns are played more of a role here than the fairness concerns of Cardinals and Cubs fans.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1107 on: September 14, 2017, 11:08:16 AM »
Let's break this down... open MLB stadiums for this weekend:

Group 1 (Barred by Collective Bargaining Agreement)
Chavez
Oakland
Seattle
San Diego
Arizona

The CBA doesn't allow teams to play in the Eastern time zone the day after a game in the Pacific time zone (Arizona doesn't have DST, i.e. they are on Pacific time right now).  While the CBA does allow up to seven exceptions per season (for each league), Miami is scheduled to play the Mets on Monday and the Brewers are in Pittsburgh ... whether that game happens in Miami or NYC, this would add two more West-to-East games to the NL schedule which currently stands at six (AZ, LAD, SD, WAS, STL and SF have all gone W-to-E once this year).  6+2 = 8 which is > 7, so this wasn't going to happen.

Group 2 (Scheduling Conflicts)
St Louis - Staging this weekend for Billy Joel concert next week.
Baltimore - Hosting charity 5K run and related events on Saturday.
Citi - Hosting arts festival this weekend

Group 3 (Significant risks/no assurances)
Toronto - International logistics (customs, tax/financial, regulatory implications); also would need a variance from City of Toronto to add a game to the schedule.
Boston - Rain in forecast (MLB does not want to risk having to postpone or cancel a game for team in division chase); also need a variance from City of Boston
Comiskey - Rain in forecast
Kansas City - Rain in forecast

Group 4 (Possibile, but could be PR nightmares)
Pittsburgh - Cannot independently confirm this, but word on the street is there are multiple weddings scheduled at PNC Park this weekend.
Arlington - Maybe... but Texas' resources are already being taxed enough as it is, and I think humanitarian concerns are played more of a role here than the fairness concerns of Cardinals and Cubs fans.

Solid breakdown. There's also a concert being held at Comiskey/US Cellular/G-Rate Field this weekend. The Cubs and Cardinals fans played zero part in this decision.

I just find it amusing that there were so many Brewers fans up in arms and citing "competitive advantage" with the Cubs moving back a game time by a few hours yet they seem to be perfectly fine with getting 3 important late season games moved to their home stadium.

It is what it is. If the Cubs and Rockies take care of their business, it'll all be moot.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1108 on: September 14, 2017, 11:26:51 AM »
Solid breakdown. There's also a concert being held at Comiskey/US Cellular/G-Rate Field this weekend. The Cubs and Cardinals fans played zero part in this decision.

I just find it amusing that there were so many Brewers fans up in arms and citing "competitive advantage" with the Cubs moving back a game time by a few hours yet they seem to be perfectly fine with getting 3 important late season games moved to their home stadium.

It is what it is. If the Cubs and Rockies take care of their business, it'll all be moot.

No, what was amusing was Cubs fans freaking out that the Brewers complained about not following the schedule...again.  Brewers fans didn't even bring up the time change until Cubs fans (you specifically) got all butthurt about the Brewers "pettiness."

Again, comparing the manager of a team deciding, "Hey, we have a quick turnaround against a team we're competing with in the division race so let's move the first pitch back one week ahead of the game" to, "We've been hit by a hurricane and we can't play the games in our home stadium" is laughable at best.  The Cubs decided they wanted to change the start time for their benefit.  The MLB decided they needed to move the game because a hurricane hit the city that the games were supposed to be played in less than a week ago.  The Cubs are the ones who decided they wanted to make a change.  The Brewers had absolutely no say whatsoever in moving the games to Milwaukee.  The two situations aren't remotely similar.

If you want the Brewers fanbase to celebrate the fact that a hurricane hit their opponent's city to the point they can't play baseball in it so they caught a scheduling break, then sure, here you go:  WOO HOO!  CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!  WHAT GREAT FORTUNE THAT IRMA CRUSHED THE CITY OF MIAMI AND WE GET 3 EXTRA HOME GAMES IN A PENNANT RACE!

The Brewers caught a break.  I'm not sure what more there is to be said that Cubs fans are hoping to hear.  It's a similar break to the Cubs getting to play visitors to the Astros in Milwaukee in 2008 (when there were 23,000 fans, compared to the 10,000 open seats available for tomorrow night's game at Miller Park) and similar to the Yankees playing visitors to Tampa Bay at Citi Field just a few weeks ago.

But if you want to dramatize the situation and talk about players spending time in the airport as if they're like you or I traveling with the rest of the population and laying around on the airport floor waiting to board an airplane or having a 3-4 hour flight to Florida have at it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 11:34:55 AM by QuentinsWorld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1109 on: September 14, 2017, 11:40:55 AM »
No, what was amusing was Cubs fans freaking out that the Brewers complained about not following the schedule...again.  Brewers fans didn't even bring up the time change until Cubs fans (you specifically) got all butthurt about the Brewers "pettiness."

Again, comparing the manager of a team deciding, "Hey, we have a quick turnaround against a team we're competing with in the division race so let's move the first pitch back one week ahead of the game" to, "We've been hit by a hurricane and we can't play the games in our home stadium" is laughable at best.  The Cubs decided they wanted to change the start time for their benefit.  The MLB decided they needed to move the game because a hurricane hit the city that the games were supposed to be played in less than a week ago.  The Cubs are the ones who decided they wanted to make a change.  The Brewers had absolutely no say whatsoever in moving the games to Milwaukee.  The two situations aren't remotely similar.

If you want the Brewers fanbase to celebrate the fact that a hurricane hit their opponent's city to the point they can't play baseball in it so they caught a scheduling break, then sure, here you go:  WOO HOO!  CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!  WHAT GREAT FORTUNE THAT IRMA CRUSHED THE CITY OF MIAMI AND WE GET 3 EXTRA HOME GAMES IN A PENNANT RACE!

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1110 on: September 14, 2017, 01:13:48 PM »
The Yankees got to play Tampa Bay at Citi Field in NY while the Red Sox are going to have to play them in Tampa this weekend.  On the Red Sox TV broadcast last night, they said that currently none of the traffic signals in and around the area surrounding the Trop are working, and if that remains the case tomorrow, they will play in an empty (by design) stadium.  I couldn't find any corroboration of that anywhere, though.

To be fair, most games in Tampa are played in an empty stadium anyways.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1111 on: September 14, 2017, 01:37:21 PM »

I don't think you'll find a single Brewers' fan who doesn't recognize that they just gained a massive competitive advantage. The difference, whether fair or not, is that this changed was done by MLB, completely beyond the Brewers' control. The Cubs moving back their game was initiated by the Cubs (and approved by the MLB).
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1112 on: September 14, 2017, 02:04:45 PM »

The cubs chose to change the time of the game.

Mother Nature chose to change Brewers and Marlins.

Big difference. If the series were cancelled and played after the end of the season, the entire post season would be messed up if the Brewers made the wild card

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1113 on: September 14, 2017, 02:10:11 PM »
I don't think you'll find a single Brewers' fan who doesn't recognize that they just gained a massive competitive advantage. The difference, whether fair or not, is that this changed was done by MLB, completely beyond the Brewers' control. The Cubs moving back their game was initiated by the Cubs (and approved by the MLB).

The Cubs initiating the change should have nothing to do with it. In both cases, MLB acted logically in their decision. However, in one case you have a team's front office "vigorously objecting" to moving back one game's start time which partially negates their advantage. In the other case, you have a manager whose response is "I have no issues with it. None."

#characterrevealed

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1114 on: September 14, 2017, 02:11:50 PM »
The Cubs initiating the change should have nothing to do with it. In both cases, MLB acted logically in their decision. However, in one case you have a team's front office "vigorously objecting" to moving back one game's start time which partially negates their advantage. In the other case, you have a manager whose response is "I have no issues with it. None."

#characterrevealed

Of course the motivations matter.  In one case the Cubs wanted a schedule change for convenience.  In the other, an act of God caused the Marlins to want to move the series.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1115 on: September 14, 2017, 02:21:06 PM »

Of course the motivations matter.  In one case the Cubs wanted a schedule change for convenience.  In the other, an act of God caused the Marlins to want to move the series.

In both cases, MLB had the final say. Obviously, they were going to grant the Marlins permission to move the games. I don't understand why there was such outrage over the Cubs seeking permission to change one start time.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1116 on: September 14, 2017, 02:24:29 PM »
"Due to the brief lead time, staffing levels for concessions, guest services and other logistics will restrict seating capacities at Miller Park for the three games. For Friday's game, only Field Level tickets will be available for purchase -- a capacity of approximately 10,000 tickets. For the Saturday and Sunday games, the capacity will increase to approximately 23,000 with staffing for those two games extended into the Loge Level. "

Yes? So what I just said haha.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1117 on: September 14, 2017, 02:25:17 PM »
In both cases, MLB had the final say. Obviously, they were going to grant the Marlins permission to move the games. I don't understand why there was such outrage over the Cubs seeking permission to change one start time.

I don't understand why you care so much.

If it makes you feel better, the Cubs are so much the bigger organization obviously.  I mean, responding that the manager has no issues that the Marlins moved their series following a hurricane causing them to need to move it in a series that doesn't involve them?  Wow, what a guy.  What.  A.  Guy.  Class act, class organization.

Again, comparing a manager just deciding he doesn't want to play at a certain time because his players could use some extra rest to a series being moved because a hurricane swept through a city is, at the very best, laughable.  But yeah, super relatable situations.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1118 on: September 14, 2017, 02:29:37 PM »
I don't understand why you care so much.

The irony  ::)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1119 on: September 14, 2017, 02:42:28 PM »
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 02:44:01 PM by MerrittsMustache »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1120 on: September 14, 2017, 02:46:09 PM »

You're killing it with the GIFs today.  More cute posts from the Cubs fans.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1121 on: September 14, 2017, 03:06:59 PM »
You're killing it with the GIFs today.  More cute posts from the Cubs fans.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1122 on: September 14, 2017, 03:12:57 PM »

I remember when I first discovered GIFs.

You strike me as the kind of mid 30s guy who not only created a bitmoji but also updates his bitmoji's clothes to match what he's wearing.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1123 on: September 14, 2017, 03:20:05 PM »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1124 on: September 14, 2017, 03:27:43 PM »
I remember when I first discovered GIFs.

You strike me as the kind of mid 30s guy who not only created a bitmoji but also updates his bitmoji's clothes to match what he's wearing.

You have issues with reading comprehension so I've decided to respond to you only in picture form.

Also, I have no idea with a bitmoji is.

feedback