'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The Next SLU  (Read 28676 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: The Next SLU
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2017, 01:50:33 PM »
4ever

I would take the Rick SLU program right now. How about you?

I personally wouldn't. The program was still poor, they just had an amazing coach. When Rick passed, they returned from their brief moment in the sun to relative obscurity.

I would however take Rick (SLU version) coaching at our program in a heartbeat. Like Rick did, Wojo will have to go through some growing pains before he becomes a finished product.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2017, 01:56:35 PM »
It is funny, but most on here were happy we lost McKay and Burton and I think both were big losses for the program. We need a couple of Burton's on the squad badly. I am very happy to see hi performing well at ISU and I am not surprised one bit.

I don't think anyone was happy that we lost McKay or Burton. I remember specifically posting after Burton that he was the best player we had ever lost to transfer. I think most people took more of a mindset of "If they don't want to be here than screw em!" Which is about all we can do as fans.

Burton on this team would make our offense monstrous. Our defense probably would have gotten worse but I don't know that any team would have been able to keep up with us.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2017, 02:08:26 PM »
TAMU

You have short memory on those two transfer comments from posters on here. Losing Burton was a big loss and many were happy to see him go. As for McKay, he was a virtual unknown to most on here, are they were in favor of 9th year senior CO getting the playing time.

Again, few shed tears on Burton and many posted his shortcomings last year and are now silent. He was a big time D1 player and played with authority.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2017, 02:12:27 PM »
I bet it's tiring for you to be such a sad individual who cannot celebrate beating Villanova or Creighton but has no problem piling on after tough losses.

Happy, well-adjusted people stop and smell the roses. I worry about folks who can only stop and smell the horsepoop.

Oh i celebrated those wins..but I also then thought that might have been a sign that MU was back..until they pissed down their legs and lost 2 games that i wouldnt have in a million years thought they'd lose..especially Providence..at home.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2017, 02:39:43 PM »
Jameel McKay left under Buzz. Bringing him up in a discussion about Wojo is silly.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2017, 02:42:15 PM »
I would however take Rick (SLU version) coaching at our program in a heartbeat. Like Rick did, Wojo will have to go through some growing pains before he becomes a finished product.

My biggest fear is that Wojo takes awhile to become a finished product,  has 2-3 good years, and then bolts.  Because if  that happens this will not have been worth it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 02:50:27 PM by MarquetteDano »

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2017, 02:49:34 PM »
My biggest fear is that Wojo takes awhile to become a finished product,  has 2-3 good years, and then bolts.  Because it that happens this will not have been worth it.

The hope would be that Wojo would have built a strong foundation that could be handed over (perhaps to an internal candidate). Both Xavier and Butler have been able to both survive and thrive with coaching turnover.

With that said, can't have another Buzz transition where the next guy is left with nothing.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2017, 02:51:32 PM »
RJax

Fully understand when McKay left the program. My point was twofold, #1 that is the type of player missing from program and #2 folks on here were happy to see a player like him leave.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2017, 03:36:55 PM »
My biggest fear is that Wojo takes awhile to become a finished product,  has 2-3 good years, and then bolts.  Because if  that happens this will not have been worth it.

Wojo has said multiple times that he wants to build something.  Something like K did at Duke.  I think he knows he can build that at Marquette, and thats why he waited for that opportunity to leave Duke.  I could see him leaving for a Duke or another blue blood, but lets be honest, we're a long way away from that.  I think Wojo is a long term answer if the administration allows him to be. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2017, 03:42:00 PM »
TAMU

You have short memory on those two transfer comments from posters on here. Losing Burton was a big loss and many were happy to see him go. As for McKay, he was a virtual unknown to most on here, are they were in favor of 9th year senior CO getting the playing time.

Again, few shed tears on Burton and many posted his shortcomings last year and are now silent. He was a big time D1 player and played with authority.

Burton still plays matador defense and shoots way too much for his efficiency. He has the worst eFG% and highest usage on his team. I'm not disappointed he isn't here.

Is he talented? Sure. But he wouldn't fix any of the problems on our team.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2017, 04:00:47 PM »
Burton is the type of Buzz guy that drove everyone crazy with his athleticism mixed with inconsistency.  Had Buzz stayed here, I think he would have been molded into very nice player.  Him and Wojo didn't mix.  No fault to either.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2017, 04:23:02 PM »
4ever

I would take the Rick SLU program right now. How about you?

Perfect chance to ask my weekly question to you: Why waste your time and be here?

Your ride is over, move on to that which you can enjoy without moaning.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2017, 04:39:02 PM »
The hope would be that Wojo would have built a strong foundation that could be handed over (perhaps to an internal candidate). Both Xavier and Butler have been able to both survive and thrive with coaching turnover.

With that said, can't have another Buzz transition where the next guy is left with nothing.

As pissed as I would be if Wojo left, Stan Johnson taking over would ease the sting.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2017, 04:40:02 PM »
As pissed as I would be if Wojo left, Stan Johnson taking over would ease the sting.

Do we have any indication he can coach?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2017, 06:25:29 PM »

Wrong.  I only went through two pages of the thread, but only a few shortcomings mentions (defensive), certainly no "happy" to see him gone.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=45613.0
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 06:29:46 PM by rocky_warrior »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2017, 06:31:21 PM »
Golden

Thanks for the advice, again. It is the wait, see and hope attitude of fans like you that make SLU a possibility.
Just curious, do you expectations of the program? If so, at what point do you get frustrated.
For the record, I have not given hope on Wojo, but believe our trajectory is not where it needs to be at this point.
Again, appreciate your advice. Always a good idea to insult "old guys".

Goose

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2017, 06:37:17 PM »
Rocky

I am guessing you are referring to Burton and when he left everyone wished him good luck. Most mentions of him post leaving were negative, with usual guys bashing him in various ways.
Anytime someone leaves it turns sour six months later. His leaving was a loss to the program and many here felt otherwise.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2017, 06:53:49 PM »
Goose, I think you are co-mingling 'negative' with 'objective analysis of his strengths and weaknesses' and whether he would help a given team.   He would have helped the 14-15 team.    Not so sure about the 15-16 team.    Would not have helped this year's team.    Why?   Look at his strengths and weaknesses.    I have watched him play twice this year.    He still plays matador defense.   He still is a black hole on offense.    He has improved at rebounding, he goes after the ball now instead of only corralling those that come to him.    He is undersized.     
This year's team is undersized, shoots well, and defends poorly.      The last thing it needs is another undersized, poor defending, volume scorer.   

And yes, if Wojo doesn't pan out, it will be several years until MU is relevant again nationally.    Better all start praying for Wojo.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2017, 06:57:38 PM »
Tower

I want Wojo to pan out. I loved the feeling of two weeks ago. Would like to repeat that over and over again.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2017, 07:13:45 PM »
Tower

I want Wojo to pan out. I loved the feeling of two weeks ago. Would like to repeat that over and over again.

I would like to see MU be the team that gets knocked off from being #1. I want this program back to where it was 4 years ago...knocking on the door of elite status. That seems a loooooooooong ways away right now.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2017, 08:15:57 PM »
I can't find the origin of the Larry Williams St. Louis story.  When and where and quotes.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2017, 08:35:10 PM »
Rocky

I am guessing you are referring to Burton and when he left everyone wished him good luck. Most mentions of him post leaving were negative, with usual guys bashing him in various ways.
Anytime someone leaves it turns sour six months later. His leaving was a loss to the program and many here felt otherwise.
Think you are wrong on Burton. Most people here really liked him and the only beef was his lack of D intensity sometimes plus he would go crazy shot happy and he still does. One of my sons went to ISU so I follow them. Burton to this day says that after his mother died he had to get away from MKE because he could not concentrate on the game. I can imagine as a teenager loosing his mother must have been an extremely devastating experience and why he would want to go away. Plus Wojo was not the guy who recruited him. Finally Mackay and Burton were friends and that made perfect.
Goal is National Championship

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2017, 08:38:19 PM »

Do we have any indication he can coach?

Well the dude can dress.  His sideline swagger rivals Buzz's.   I like sartorial confidence.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2017, 02:25:21 PM »
I can't find the origin of the Larry Williams St. Louis story.  When and where and quotes.

Looks like it was Maybe Pilarz?  I've spent too much time on this already:

In fairness to Lab, a lot of the speculation around here is on various topics that have some factual support.

Example: We know Buzz was recruiting X player because he was spotted at his games, so a rumor saying that MU signed X player is plausible.

In this case, a new boss(es), some off the court issues and bad PR MIGHT have created friction between Buzz and the MU administration. Fine.

But, there aren't a ton of tangible facts that we have seen that support this, and that's where the board went off the rails.

What I read:
- Larry wants to be more like ND or Northwestern
- Larry is a "Football guy"
- Pilarz/BOT think MU's athletic budget is out of control, would like it to be more like SLU
- MU is dumb because they changed the nickname, and they will probably run Buzz out of town too!
- Some well healed alums might be sneaky racist and would like more white players
- MU lets Buzz recruit players no other coach was allowed to (cheap shot BTW)
- MU might hate JUCOS
- Larry's JS quotes were mean

For me, that's where everything went sideways. To say there might be some friction seems plausible, but the ensuing thought process of some was insane and didn't make any sense.

Most of the people here are alumni. We're smart people. We shouldn't fall for some of this sh*t.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2017, 02:30:55 PM »
I miss Canned Goods & Ammo.