'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:52:38 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Respect the Process  (Read 17904 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Respect the Process
« on: February 03, 2017, 12:47:50 PM »
Mick Cronin didn't go to the NCAA Tournament once in his first four years at Cinci.  In the 6 seasons since then he hasn't missed the NCAA Tournament.

Wojo has some work to do for sure.  But the talent he has brought in in the short time he has been here is pretty remarkable compared to what he was left with.  Next year's class should balance the roster for the first time in his time as our coach.  Once he has all his guys in we will see the results we should expect here.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Daniel

• All American
Re: Respect the Process
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 12:52:39 PM »
Mick Cronin didn't go to the NCAA Tournament once in his first four years at Cinci.  In the 6 seasons since then he hasn't missed the NCAA Tournament.

Wojo has some work to do for sure.  But the talent he has brought in in the short time he has been here is pretty remarkable compared to what he was left with.  Next year's class should balance the roster for the first time in his time as our coach.  Once he has all his guys in we will see the results we should expect here.

Damn - there you go with common sense and sobering thoughts.   Lol. Good job!!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 12:54:02 PM »
And Cronin brought in a major recruit in lance stephenson that was fantastic and nearly got them to the NCAA tournament but they fell short. Just a fun parallel
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 12:54:15 PM »

Agreed. We've been getting better every year since Wojo started. I'm bullish on him.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 01:15:59 PM »
I get that and all - but not going to lie, I am going to be really f'in disappointed if we miss the tourney again this year.  I know the trajectory looks good and all, but it will still be extremely disappointing.

That doesn't mean I will be less of a fan, yadayayaya, I just want to dance.  That's what CBB is all about.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 01:26:05 PM »
I get that and all - but not going to lie, I am going to be really f'in disappointed if we miss the tourney again this year.  I know the trajectory looks good and all, but it will still be extremely disappointing.

That doesn't mean I will be less of a fan, yadayayaya, I just want to dance.  That's what CBB is all about.

There would be reasons to be disappointed but also reasons to think the future is still bright.  Howard has hit a bit of a lull for him, but even so, the difference between his "bad" compared to his "good" is so much smaller than, say, Luke's or JJJ's.  And he's a freshman.  Same with Sam.

Whereas right now our upperclassmen can have pretty nice "highs," I'm thinking we see Sam and Markus more in the mold of Jenkins and Brunson where you know what you're getting pretty much every night (sure, some outliers here or there, but overall pretty dang good night in and night out).  When you're led by guys who you have no idea how they will show up night in and night out (Luke, JJJ, Katin) seasons tend to go like this.  Some great highs, and some awful lows.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 01:31:41 PM »
There would be reasons to be disappointed but also reasons to think the future is still bright.  Howard has hit a bit of a lull for him, but even so, the difference between his "bad" compared to his "good" is so much smaller than, say, Luke's or JJJ's.  And he's a freshman.  Same with Sam.

Whereas right now our upperclassmen can have pretty nice "highs," I'm thinking we see Sam and Markus more in the mold of Jenkins and Brunson where you know what you're getting pretty much every night (sure, some outliers here or there, but overall pretty dang good night in and night out).  When you're led by guys who you have no idea how they will show up night in and night out (Luke, JJJ, Katin) seasons tend to go like this.  Some great highs, and some awful lows.

Ohh, I compeltely agree.  The future appears to be bright.  I believe in Wojo. Not sure next year will be much better than this year, but again, I just want to make the tourney.

I didn't suffer through the bad years like some (most) around here have.  My fandom began in 2008, so call me spoiled, but I fell in love with MU basketball because they were good and nationally relevant every year.  I wasn't a bball fan prior to college.  I don't expect to be a blue blood or perennial top 15 squad, but I do expect to make the tournament every year.  It today's NCAA - its not that hard.  Good scheduling is such a huge component of it.  We saw an improvement there from last year's debacle, but there is still a bunch of room for additional improvement.  Not to mention leaving an un-used non-con game is just silly, if only for pure optics in win totals. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 01:50:47 PM »
Can't go a couple weeks outout someone posting an example of a new coach struggling for X years, then doing well.

Curious, how about examples of new coaches who struggled for X years, then kept struggling and was fired?

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 02:01:16 PM »
There is a big focus on the players and I get that. I really like who has been brought in.

But my concern is Wojo's defense seems to be going the wrong direction. We are ranked something like #150 according to Pomeroy. I don't think this team, with these players should be that bad.

Wojo has enough strengths that I can accept he might not be an defensive guru. But then he should recognize that and have someone on the bench who can install a better defense.

That is my concern that will go beyond whatever recruits are brought in.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 02:09:31 PM »
Can't go a couple weeks outout someone posting an example of a new coach struggling for X years, then doing well.

Curious, how about examples of new coaches who struggled for X years, then kept struggling and was fired?

Many.  But I don't think that applies to Wojo because I don't think he is struggling.

But how about coaches that struggled, moved in a positive direction, but never were able to get over the hump of winning consistently.

So what if instead of Mick Cronin, he was more like Georgia's Mark Fox or ASU-era Herb Sendek?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 02:11:46 PM »
If Wojo sticks after Year 5, it's a great process.  If he hightails to the ACC, then we're back to square 1.  Unless of course we hire Stan and then we're rolling.   

I'm all for a long term, well thoughtout plan as long as the coach stays. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 02:17:28 PM »
There is a big focus on the players and I get that. I really like who has been brought in.

But my concern is Wojo's defense seems to be going the wrong direction. We are ranked something like #150 according to Pomeroy. I don't think this team, with these players should be that bad.

Wojo has enough strengths that I can accept he might not be an defensive guru. But then he should recognize that and have someone on the bench who can install a better defense.

That is my concern that will go beyond whatever recruits are brought in.

I think you have to realize we have a bunch of non-athletic players right now at MU.  If Wojo could have gotten someone who physically looks like Maurice Lucas
or Bob Lackey, different story.  Luke, Hauser, Cheatham, Howard, Rowsey all good basketball players but together have no quickness.  The one player that does plays
out of control and does not know how to play hard, particularly on the D side.  Even the 2 bigs last spring that Wojo missed on, might not have helped this team either, they both play sparingly at there respective colleges.   MU might not be as good next year but they will have a physical presence at least.  John and Ike are
athletic and Cain maybe the most athletic recruit in years, at least on video clips.   Really like to get Elliott for next year.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 02:24:40 PM »
I think you have to realize we have a bunch of non-athletic players right now at MU.  If Wojo could have gotten someone who physically looks like Maurice Lucas
or Bob Lackey, different story.  Luke, Hauser, Cheatham, Howard, Rowsey all good basketball players but together have no quickness.  The one player that does plays
out of control and does not know how to play hard, particularly on the D side.  Even the 2 bigs last spring that Wojo missed on, might not have helped this team either, they both play sparingly at there respective colleges.   MU might not be as good next year but they will have a physical presence at least.  John and Ike are
athletic and Cain maybe the most athletic recruit in years, at least on video clips.   Really like to get Elliott for next year.

No doubt these players this year would never be a Top 50 defense. The issue is that they are #150. If they were #75 I could.accept it.

As low as it is I put it on the coaching.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 02:37:49 PM »
I respect the process. But I'm also not willing to dismiss our tournament chances for this season yet. Lunardi still has us in for Christsakes!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 02:45:19 PM »
No doubt these players this year would never be a Top 50 defense. The issue is that they are #150. If they were #75 I could.accept it.

As low as it is I put it on the coaching.

Then I would say the coaches recruited the wrong players, can not expect a bunch of skinny white kids to compete against quick black kids, it does not happen.  Did
you watch the St. Johns game?  MU can not defend that type of quickness, real simple.  Luke, Hauser and Reinhardt barely can get off there feet on rebounding.
Good basketball players but to bad there all on the same team.  Explain what any coach can do with that.  Maybe a tight 2-1-2 zone might work or like Villy miss every
3 taken in the last five minutes of a game.  Next year I expect a much different team on offense as well as D.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 02:47:30 PM »
Then I would say the coaches recruited the wrong players, can not expect a bunch of skinny white kids to compete against quick black kids, it does not happen.  Did
you watch the St. Johns game?  MU can not defend that type of quickness, real simple.  Luke, Hauser and Reinhardt barely can get off there feet on rebounding.
Good basketball players but to bad there all on the same team.  Explain what any coach can do with that.  Maybe a tight 2-1-2 zone might work or like Villy miss every
3 taken in the last five minutes of a game.  Next year I expect a much different team on offense as well as D.
:o
Goal is National Championship

nyg

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 02:52:13 PM »
:o

Yeah, maybe rural kids opposed to inner city kids might have been a better comparison. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 02:54:20 PM »
Then I would say the coaches recruited the wrong players, can not expect a bunch of skinny white kids to compete against quick black kids, it does not happen. Did
you watch the St. Johns game?  MU can not defend that type of quickness, real simple.
Luke, Hauser and Reinhardt barely can get off there feet on rebounding.

Did you watch the St. Johns game? You must not have heard anyone mention that St. John's backcourt is among the best in the country and are too quick for most players to guard.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 02:56:00 PM by Waldo Jeffers »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 02:54:52 PM »
If Wojo sticks after Year 5, it's a great process.  If he hightails to the ACC, then we're back to square 1.  Unless of course we hire Stan and then we're rolling.   

I don't really see Wojo hightailing to the ACC, honestly.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 02:55:21 PM »

I'd be all about Wojo leaving for a big time ACC program.  That would mean he had some great success at MU.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2017, 02:55:51 PM »

Lol, time to fast forward to 2017, bud.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2017, 02:57:35 PM »
I'd be all about Wojo leaving for a big time ACC program.  That would mean he had some great success at MU.

Exactly, and I believe the next 2 recruiting classes will make a difference.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2017, 02:59:33 PM »
Did you watch the St. Johns game? You must not have heard anyone mention that St. John's backcourt is among the best in the country and are too quick for most players to guard.

It was not just the backcourt, it was there whole team except Massino, who is pretty good shooter.  Hauser could not guard his man nor could Luke, to quick of
jumpers off there feet.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 03:10:25 PM »
Lol, time to fast forward to 2017, bud.

What I have to be politically correct on a basketball board or can I just tell it like it really is???

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 03:18:23 PM »
What I have to be politically correct on a basketball board or can I just tell it like it really is???

Well first of all, your initial statement was inaccurate.  Our "black kids" can't stay in front of guys either.

Second, there is ZERO reason to insert race into it at all.