'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Rowsey?  (Read 6092 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Rowsey?
« on: January 11, 2017, 10:24:10 PM »
Only played 3 minutes. Was not his normal fired up self on bench. Barely even walked over after they won. Seemed pissed off the entire time. What's up?

brandx

Re: Rowsey?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 10:28:27 PM »
Only played 3 minutes. Was not his normal fired up self on bench. Barely even walked over after they won. Seemed pissed off the entire time. What's up?

Who knows?

No defensive effort in those 3 minutes and Howard was playing outstanding. Can't have both small guys out there at once when you are already getting killed on the boards.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 10:46:40 PM »
Who knows?

No defensive effort in those 3 minutes and Howard was playing outstanding. Can't have both small guys out there at once when you are already getting killed on the boards.

Not handling the press well didn't help either.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 11:14:23 PM »
He had a bad night. He's a competitor. Competitors tend to get pissed off when they have a bad night. He looked absolutely terrible against the break. I thought one of them wasn't his fault though. The rest of the team wasn't aware and took way too long to come back and help.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 07:17:09 AM »
He struggled against the press and Markus was tearing it up.    There will be other nights. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

scout

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 07:27:39 AM »
how can Rowsey find true happiness at Marquette with Howard there???  I'm sure he didn't think he would find maybe the best little freshman guard in the country playing there when he became eligible.  That guy should be getting 30 minutes a game at some good mid major school.  He definitely made the wrong decision.  Such is life.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 07:31:23 AM »
I was really surprised by Rowsey's difficulty with the press last night as I thought his ability to break the press up to this point was competent enough.  He seemed very tentative to simply put the ball on the floor and try to dribble hard through the press, and the rest of the team seemed to have no interest in helping him break the press through passing. 

Like everyone else is saying I think just chalk this one up to a random bad game and see how he responds on Saturday.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 08:12:15 AM »
I do think Rowsey had some terrible timing last night. Marquette as a team played the press better as the game went on. Both Reinhardt and Cheatham made themselves more available and helped out more as we saw it more frequently. I wouldn't worry about him, though. He did still drain a three in his limited minutes and has put up consistently good numbers in conference thus far.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 08:12:44 AM »
how can Rowsey find true happiness at Marquette with Howard there???  I'm sure he didn't think he would find maybe the best little freshman guard in the country playing there when he became eligible.  That guy should be getting 30 minutes a game at some good mid major school.  He definitely made the wrong decision.  Such is life.

I think Rowsey has done just fine here. He's played a key role off the bench and has been the man in more than one game this season. Rowsey might regret his decision if playing time is truly his top motivator but he might be happy to be part of a winning team that has a legitimate shot at the postseason.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 08:20:16 AM »
Rowsey struggled against the pressure but he was also brutal defensively in his limited time. My concern about him was that he'd get eaten up defensively in the BE. Offensively, he's been better than I had expected. Unfortunately, his D is noticeably bad on a team where defensive isn't exactly a strength. He'll have better nights.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 08:49:52 AM »
It was more about Howard. 42 minutes, ZERO turnovers. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 08:53:58 AM »
maybe if he would work on his rebounding... :D
don't...don't don't don't don't

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 08:57:06 AM »

Disagree.  Rowley had a bad night.  When he screwed up twice bringing the ball up, SH do dense focused on him.  He should shake it off.  Rowley is a great complement to Howard.  He, too, has leadership and is a great shooter.  He will bounce back.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 09:09:43 AM »
Disagree.  Rowley had a bad night.  When he screwed up twice bringing the ball up, SH do dense focused on him.  He should shake it off.  Rowley is a great complement to Howard.  He, too, has leadership and is a great shooter.  He will bounce back.

This.

Wojo put in Rowsey, who promptly messed up. Wojo went back to Markus, who promptly starred. With all of the time outs, Markus never got tired enough to take out, and he was carrying us for much of the game. It was simply Wojo sticking with the hot hand.

Folks forget that it wasn't too long ago that Markus was the one who was pulled fairly quickly and had trouble getting back into the game. Heck, it wasn't that long ago that a Scooper or two were declaring Markus to be clearly the third-best PG on the roster.

Rowsey will get more chances. When he plays better and/or is the hot hand, he will stay on the court.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 09:20:18 AM »
I think that first SHU game may have hurt Rowsey's case. The lasting impression of that game was the turnover where he didn't give Howard and outlet. I like the two of them playing together at times, but with how he handled the press on that play and in short stints last night, I don't think Wojo wanted to play the two little guys together, especially with SHU's backcourt length.

This was Rowsey's first game under 108 ORtg since late November. He's been playing very well both in short spurts and long stretches. He'll be fine. As far as the roster, he's the one for whom I most hope we get to the NCAAs. I think him being around next year will be very important. We need more than 1 PG, but it's becoming pretty clear that Howard will be getting the lion's share of minutes. Get to the NCAAs and let Rowsey get a taste of that, while also seeing he can contribute to our roster at both the 1 and 2 (with JJ and Reinhardt leaving that will open up minutes as HC likely slides to the 3) and hopefully he sticks around for his senior year. If anyone is thinking grad transfer, he'd be the one I'm worried about. He's definitely capable of playing at this level and is an excellent option to have.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 09:56:10 AM »
Do you think he would transfer? I think that would be hard, sit out another year, find a team....etc. I think he is in a tough spot because Markus is playing so well but if he can see the bigger picture I think he can be an integral part of the team. Especially moving forward the rest of this season getting better on D and continue to provide a significant threat of instant offense of the bench. I like the way he competes and I think MU is a better team with him. I also hope he looks to what could be a great Senior year for him at MU.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 10:10:29 AM »
Do you think he would transfer? I think that would be hard, sit out another year, find a team....etc. I think he is in a tough spot because Markus is playing so well but if he can see the bigger picture I think he can be an integral part of the team. Especially moving forward the rest of this season getting better on D and continue to provide a significant threat of instant offense of the bench. I like the way he competes and I think MU is a better team with him. I also hope he looks to what could be a great Senior year for him at MU.

As a fourth-year junior, my guess is he'll likely graduate in Spring and be able to play immediately if he did transfer. I hope he doesn't, but in theory both him and Duane may be able to transfer without having to sit out (though I definitely expect Duane back).

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 10:12:35 AM »
As a fourth-year junior, my guess is he'll likely graduate in Spring and be able to play immediately if he did transfer. I hope he doesn't, but in theory both him and Duane may be able to transfer without having to sit out (though I definitely expect Duane back).

Let's just hope he isn't in a position to graduate this spring.  That said, I think Rowsey loves MU.  MUBB facebook page posted an interview with him last week and he couldn't say enough good things about the the program.  I am sure he is disappointed he didn't get to play much last night, but I don't expect Rowsey to transfer, even if he can.  He'll get his opportunities - last night just wasn't his game.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 10:54:10 AM »
Who knows?

If he doesn't play defense he isn't going to play

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2017, 11:25:10 AM »

More importantly, did he even attempt to execute a high five?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 11:37:07 AM »
Well, lets be honest.   A medium low 5.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 11:42:23 AM »

C'mon.  Get your Scoopisms right.  I'ts "slap of five."

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=29474.0

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 12:11:19 PM »
i can just hear it-if rowsey was allowed to stay in and he kept messing up and wojo stuck with him...holy cheezus from hell, some on this board would be blowing blood vessels all over their computer screens

how about this?  good job wojo for recognizing rowsey didn't have his "A" game-only a good coach would see this, ey'ner?

and this-next game rowsey is going to come out on fire and be our SOTG
don't...don't don't don't don't

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 12:23:06 PM »
Dude looks piiiisssssssssed.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2017, 12:24:07 PM »
Howard, Duane and Haanif each played very well and each played a season-high in minutes. There are only so many backcourt minutes to go around, especially with SHU being a tough match-up to use Howard and Rowsey together. It happens.