[June 19, 2024, 11:34:33 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 19, 2024, 10:13:47 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by MU82
[June 19, 2024, 08:33:32 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Tyler COLEk
[June 19, 2024, 08:02:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Heldt for SOTG thread  (Read 9873 times)

Marcus92

• All American
Re: Heldt for SOTG thread
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2017, 09:56:40 PM »
I agree it's Markus, but Cheatham was really close until the end. Especially when you consider holding Carrington to 12 points for 38 minutes (after that...yeah).

Markus was too good, but Haney did have a pretty studly line: 17 points, 7 boards, 5 assists and just 1 turnover in 45 minutes.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2017, 10:00:56 PM »
Heldt - without question.  Howard put up the numbers, but Heldt physically carried us with his toughness in OT.  Without Heldt - especially without Fisher - we lose in the extra period. 

Besides, let's see how many different teammates we can get (that are rightfully earned) the SOTG this year. 

What's the Scoop's all-time record for number of different players from one team earning SOTG honors?

I'd say there would be no extra period without M2N. Ergo, Stan Johnson 4 SOTG

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2017, 10:02:30 PM »
Stan's Jacket.
Marcus.

I love Heldt gaining confidence, but contributions earlier in the game might have heldtped avoid overtime.  SOOT for Heldt.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2017, 10:03:08 PM »
Markus hands down- stud no doubt. 
Heldt put in a strong effort for what he is- and that's a big body who tries hard and reaps some rewards but even more fouls. 
I give the kid props, but stud of the game?
Uh, no

ducs

• Walk-On
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2017, 10:04:37 PM »
Markus

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2017, 10:04:52 PM »
Didn't read most of the thread...hope we agree on Matt Heldt.

I don't think this was a one-off.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2017, 10:07:17 PM »
I love SOTG threads.
It means we won.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2017, 10:41:40 PM »
Heldt
Howard
Haanif
Luke (look at Delgado's shooting numbers...)
Duane
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2017, 10:45:44 PM »
If heldt wins the SOTG prize is a joke. 1 pt and 2 rebounds?? yes he played decent D but those rebounds bounced right to him.. If markus doesn't get it its a disgrace.

Easy rebounds, hey?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2017, 10:54:52 PM »
Markus with as fine a freshman performance as I can remember.  Just stellar.  Wojo entrusted him with breaking the press by himself, and he did it with no turnovers and a bunch of assists.

Wojo said post game that they worked hard with the guards this week about not just driving into traffic and getting stuck as they had been.  Haani and Markus were controlling the flow better tonight and not forcing it.  Wojo said they worked particularly hard with Markus to penetrate and not stop his dribble, and look to carve up that baseline...like he did with that nice dime to JJ.

Monster game...hands down.  70% on 3fg% and #1 in conference for the season. That is a 1st team body of work, people.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:04:22 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2017, 11:24:38 PM »
I'll give Heldt an honorable mention for heart and toughness, but a SOTG he is not.

1) Howard: 22 points, 6 assists, 4 3PMs, 0 turnovers, 17 years of age. Played a man's game.
2) Cheatham: 45 minutes, 1 turnover. His shooting is still hinky but he had some vintage HC drives to the bucket. Bothered Carrington into a poor shooting (by Carrington standards) and 6 TOs. Oh and had 5 assists.
3) Luke: Yes Delgado abused him on the boards but I really think that was more a product of Delgado being very good than Luke being bad. Played his best defense of the season. Delgado didn't get a FG until the 2nd half and shot 3/12 on the night. Thought he responded well to last game's benching.

Honorable mentions to Heldt and Duane for heart and attitude.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Smokin' Jae

• Team Captain
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2017, 11:42:31 PM »
Let's be real for a minute here,  this game does not even get close to overtime without Markus. Matt had a great overtime but do not forget the first forty and the big dicked freshman who got us there.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2017, 11:58:43 PM »
At the most critical moments of the game Matt showed what he was made of.  His efforts down the stretch deserve stud of the game recognition.

Markus was great for sure, but he will be in the running for SOTG many times.

Matt shined when we needed him the most . Also this could be the moment Matt turns the corner and becomes a true Big East big.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2017, 03:48:41 AM »
Ok, so you ALL agree with me.  Good!

Wocky, make it so.

I love a good debate. 

NextChampionship

• Walk-On
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2017, 08:02:13 AM »
Markus. Zero turnovers from a 17 year old PG would be impressive in a high school game. It's amazing in a BE game against a tough team that will likely make the tournament.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2017, 08:30:37 AM »
Markus.

Matt did great things in OT and Katin made some huge plays as well, but this would have been a blowout loss without Markus.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2017, 08:35:30 AM »
Alright, the correct answer was Markus!

Heldt played great for the OT period, but for his performance to be stud of the GAME worthy, one (or all) of the guys that had been in contention for SOTG would have had to make some mistakes at the end.  Haanif is an example of that.  Unfortunately for Heldt, Markus was solid all game long, and was the stud of this game.

The bright side, Heldt showed a lot of promise, and may be able to look forward to a few SOTGs in the years to come.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2017, 08:37:31 AM »
Wojo said post game that they worked hard with the guards this week about not just driving into traffic and getting stuck as they had been.  Haani and Markus were controlling the flow better tonight and not forcing it.  Wojo said they worked particularly hard with Markus to penetrate and not stop his dribble, and look to carve up that baseline...like he did with that nice dime to JJ.

This is really good to hear - its a tangible example of converting the work behind the scenes into something we get to see on the floor during games.  Between the second half/OT, Markus probably had half a dozen drives where he got to the baseline, but going to the basket was clearly the second option. It was all about collapsing the D and looking for the kick. His drives were more under control than they would be if it was a suicide mission to the basket, but he's got enough awareness and agility for a quick up and under if it presents itself.  Impressive maturity for such a young player, and it makes sense that it was a point of emphasis this week.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2017, 09:06:24 AM »
Alright, the correct answer was Markus!

Heldt played great for the OT period, but for his performance to be stud of the GAME worthy, one (or all) of the guys that had been in contention for SOTG would have had to make some mistakes at the end.  Haanif is an example of that.  Unfortunately for Heldt, Markus was solid all game long, and was the stud of this game.

The bright side, Heldt showed a lot of promise, and may be able to look forward to a few SOTGs in the years to come.

Way to not overthink it, rocky. This truly was a no-brainer.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 09:14:07 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2017, 09:06:34 AM »

I missed the postgame, but am glad to hear this. It was really evident from both of them. Markus did a great job and at least twice dribbled hard to the hoop and ended up going around and under to find someone open. Was also particularly glad to see how well Cheatham played in light of his recent struggles.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2017, 09:30:59 AM »
Wait.   It's over?!?!?   But there are so many more hairs to split!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2017, 11:25:05 AM »
Wtf. I didn't even get to vote! What kind of rigged system is this?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2017, 11:30:04 AM »
As always, Matt gets a participation trophy.   :-\
Have some patience, FFS.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2017, 12:16:19 PM »
Undefeated since Froling committed.  Just saying.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2017, 12:26:27 PM »
U have to be ineligible for stud of game when u miss 3 of 4 free throws in the last minute. 
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

feedback