[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pirate's Ponderings  (Read 13083 times)

1SE

• All American
Re: Pirate's Ponderings
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2017, 05:49:13 PM »
So much good seemed to be erased in 1 minute, which is tough to swallow. Hopefully, we can make up for this one with an upset somewhere else.

Main concern is this coming back to haunt us if we find ourselves short a win when all is said and done. Seton Hall is not a garbage team, fortunately.

Also, I'm praying hard that Creighton's big man, Patton, is merciful and only puts up 30 on us. Delgado could not be stopped one on one.

Almost certainly that will be the case. We'll be one top-50 road win away from being in. This L will really sting on Selection Sunday as the one game that would have changed the post-season outcome had it easily gone the other way (just like how the loss to DePaul last year most likely kept us out of the NIT).
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2017, 05:54:52 PM »
My cousin that just got out of jail and knows nothing about Marquette basketball. . .  'there's that number 23 again messing up. . . Take him out'.  Agree pushing the opposing player into Hauser's back instead of pinching? Holding the ball when a wide open Howard is on the wing ready to catch and shoot! Not chinning the rebound down low on the And 1. Trying to do too much to Luke in awkward positions.

I think if Cheat actually goes toward the rim aggressively instead of fading he gets that foul.  Luke pumping because 31 waives his hand in front of his face. Sam missing the free throw.

I loved the back door play for the lead.  I loved the dish to Sam for the lay up. I loved the two steals in a route for buckets.

Questionable block call on Hauser. He looked set.  Maybe in semi circle?

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2017, 05:55:26 PM »
In early 2010 we struggled mightily to win these types of games. It took time, but we got better at it. This shows we can compete with a team that humiliated us twice last year. Anyone looking at today as a bigger negative than positive is off base. Sure, it sucks to lose, but today was a good sign.
I agree this year we beat them at home. I was impressed how we came back in the first place. I thought it was over. 10-11 BE wins still possible.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2017, 05:56:44 PM »
JJJ makes mind-boggling stupid decisions on a regular basis. He should have been seated for the last minute. The lost rebound, where he falls down and pushes Hauser out of the play, followed by the drive-turnover, were too much for me.  He can't be on the court when it matters.

And put who in?    Haanif couldn't throw the ball in the ocean.    Do you really want Rowsey and Howard on the floor trying secure defensive rebounds?     Dressing 8 has its downsides. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2017, 05:59:26 PM »
When does luke graduate?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

WayOfTheWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2017, 06:00:27 PM »
I agree this year we beat them at home. I was impressed how we came back in the first place. I thought it was over. 10-11 BE wins still possible.

That's all that matters. No bad losses so far, and I hope it stays that way.

Gotta move forward to the next one.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2017, 06:01:29 PM »
When does luke graduate?

Luke had 12 and 7 against the best big man in the BE. I'm much more concerned about JJJ and Haanif.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2017, 06:03:06 PM »
Do the other 39 minutes not matter?  He's not a perfect player by any means but without him we're not even in the game at the end.
No, he kind of awful throughout.  Got his customary steals but was otherwise pretty disastrous.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2017, 06:03:31 PM »
Luke had 12 and 7 against the best big man in the BE. I'm much more concerned about JJJ and Haanif.

Yup.  JjJ was intermittently brain dead and brilliant.   Haanif is as snakebit as I can remember a talented player being.    Confidence gone. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

nyg

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2017, 06:04:09 PM »
When does luke graduate?

Don't wish too soon.  If Wojo doesn't get a grad transfer or JUCO big, next year might be brutal. 

Luke was fine today, he just has no help up front against bigger stronger boys. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2017, 06:04:22 PM »
When does luke graduate?

He has his flaws but we are going to miss him a lot next season. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2017, 06:06:18 PM »
Road wins are so hard to come by in the Big East

No they're not. Last year road wins happened in the BEast more than most conferences. Home team won less than 55% of the time. It's a myth that gets repeated over & over again.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2017, 06:31:39 PM »
No they're not. Last year road wins happened in the BEast more than most conferences. Home team won less than 55% of the time. It's a myth that gets repeated over & over again.

That is a shocking stat.   Is it the extremes that bungle it?  Like, Nova wins 8 on the road, DePaul/SJU loses 8.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2017, 06:37:17 PM »
It's a guard's dame....oh wait.  The MU urban league bigs arrive next year.

This team is fun to watch as different players find a way to shine.  Problem is there is no leader yet. 

This is a 9-9 team.  Narrow margins in every game.  This one was won.  Can't give these back in the BE.

Wojo put this team in a position to win.  No one stepped up at the end.  Missed Duane today.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2017, 06:38:26 PM »
Wojo put this team in a position to win.  No one stepped up at the end.  Missed Duane today.

+1

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2017, 06:40:30 PM »

No one stepped up at the end. 

And there you have it.   

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2017, 06:42:43 PM »
+1

this is what's so frustrating about Marquette basketball right now. Wojo did well today, and his team pulls off an epic choke.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2017, 06:43:29 PM »
A lot of people looking at this game and it makes them pessimistic.

That is weird because this game made me optimistic.  Defense has improved.  The occasional zone is working.  That is big.

Yes we choked down the end with poor defensive rebounding and some missed layups but last year Seton Hall smoked us both home and away.  We had no chance to choke.

We are very evenly matched with them this year.  If Duane can get healthy and Cheatham gets out of his offensive funk (his D is looking good this year) I say this is a tourney team.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 06:49:08 PM by MarquetteDano »

nyg

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2017, 06:43:49 PM »
Can someone help out here.

My buddy watched game and asked why wasn't Luke lined up under the basket on the free throw miss.  He said he was up by the shooter.  I said I didn't notice and now I am just curious if that was correct.

Anyone see that or have a replay, if not no big deal. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2017, 06:48:01 PM »

My buddy watched game and asked why wasn't Luke lined up under the basket on the free throw miss.  He said he was up by the shooter.  I said I didn't notice and now I am just curious if that was correct.

This happened but I thought it was because Luke blew the box-out on his man....not sure if it was on purpose or just trying to put a body on someone

Edit: sorry I thought you meant who he boxed out - not where he started
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 06:51:56 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2017, 06:49:35 PM »

The NCAA moved out the blocks years ago to match the international rules.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2017, 06:52:55 PM »
The NCAA moved out the blocks years ago to match the international rules.

OK, thanks.  Just was questioned why Luke at 6ft11 was not under the boards.  Strange, but it is what it is.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2017, 07:11:03 PM »
Regarding something Tower said earlier in the thread about not going to stew or be bitter. You are a better man than I. Bitter, check. Stewing, check. I think it is because MU was right there at the end, it seems they overcame a lot just get out toughed in the last minute of the game. A bunch of folks have said it in different ways but Wojo needs a 6'7-6'9 bad ass on the roster at all times that will get "that" rebound or defend the paint in a way that gives the opposing team a little something extra to think about. MU really needed that one, so close, so close......

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2017, 07:45:15 PM »
A bunch of folks have said it in different ways but Wojo needs a 6'7-6'9 bad ass on the roster at all times that will get "that" rebound or defend the paint in a way that gives the opposing team a little something extra to think about.

He had that guy in Hank last year, but he left early. Hopefully Eke and John are those guys next year. We lost Levin, missed on Washington, and saw Young slip away. He's tried to get that guy but for this season, having that guy on the roster wasn't in the cards. Safe to say he knows the issue and is trying to compensate in other ways this year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2017, 07:56:30 PM »
Im not sure why people are surprised. This was one of those games that should have been awesome if we won, but understandable if we lost.
I'm not sure why people don't understand. Yes marquette shouldn't have won the game.  But they had the win and they gave it away. This is a horrible loss no matter if your playing DePaul or Duke. Up 3 with 30 then miss out on 2 straight rebounds.

feedback