[Today at 07:42:04 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by Herman Cain
[Today at 06:55:14 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 05:53:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:52:17 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pirate's Ponderings  (Read 13088 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: Pirate's Ponderings
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2017, 07:48:07 AM »
Kinda related, but did you know, starting this year in high school basketball in Illinois you can't box out the free throw shooter anymore.

You can get in front of him, but if you put a body on the shooter at all, it's now a technical foul. Which by the way, may be the dumbest rule in basketball.
wtf that is totaly crazy
Goal is National Championship

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2017, 07:57:59 AM »
wtf that is totaly crazy

In Illinois, the FT is considered a "safe space".

Next up, Illinois HS baseball will be using tees.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2017, 08:16:35 AM »
In Illinois, the FT is considered a "safe space".

Next up, Illinois HS baseball will be using tees.
"safe space"  :P

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2017, 09:16:24 AM »
Kinda related, but did you know, starting this year in high school basketball in Illinois you can't box out the free throw shooter anymore.

You can get in front of him, but if you put a body on the shooter at all, it's now a technical foul. Which by the way, may be the dumbest rule in basketball.

That's not entirely accurate. You can still box out the shooter. You just can't cross the FT line until the ball hits the rim. The shooter can't cross the FT line before the ball hits the rim anyway so an opposing player can be in front of the shooter ready to box out once the ball leaves his hand and can put a body on him once the ball gets to the rim. It's really not that significant of a change. When I was in HS, we couldn't leave the lane until the ball hit the rim. That rule changed recently so I presume that this rule was made in response to that. Not crossing the FT to box out the shooter until the ball hits the rim is a MUCH better rule than not leaving the lane until it hits the rim.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2017, 09:48:31 AM »
Almost certainly that will be the case. We'll be one top-50 road win away from being in. This L will really sting on Selection Sunday as the one game that would have changed the post-season outcome had it easily gone the other way (just like how the loss to DePaul last year most likely kept us out of the NIT).

Keep your Sunnyside up, or are you Dwelling.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2017, 10:25:17 AM »
That's not entirely accurate. You can still box out the shooter. You just can't cross the FT line until the ball hits the rim. The shooter can't cross the FT line before the ball hits the rim anyway so an opposing player can be in front of the shooter ready to box out once the ball leaves his hand and can put a body on him once the ball gets to the rim. It's really not that significant of a change. When I was in HS, we couldn't leave the lane until the ball hit the rim. That rule changed recently so I presume that this rule was made in response to that. Not crossing the FT to box out the shooter until the ball hits the rim is a MUCH better rule than not leaving the lane until it hits the rim.

It was always universally understood that the shooter cannot cross the line on a FT attempt until the ball hits the rim; however, what's not been universally understood is that the shooter was entitled to the line until the ball hits the rim.  Whether some rulebooks explicitly state this, make reference to it in their "situation manual," or omit it completely, I have no idea, but it's the same concept as on an inbounds play: the inbounder cannot cross the line (until the ball is inbounded) but is entitled to the line until he does so, i.e. a defender who crosses the line and impedes the inbounder is assessed a technical foul.

So I don't know what Illinois' HS rulebook says/said, but whether it amounts to an actual rule change, a clarification as a result of another rule change, or simply a point of emphasis, the basic concept that's being enforced here doesn't appear to be materially different.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2017, 07:35:02 PM »
Now this makes sense

Class71

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2017, 06:03:26 AM »
Best 39 minutes and 35 seconds in years. Worst 25 seconds ever? As frustrating a loss this was we showed real progress from one month ago. Stay focused on progress.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2017, 08:12:44 AM »
Best 39 minutes and 35 seconds in years. Worst 25 seconds ever? As frustrating a loss this was we showed real progress from one month ago. Stay focused on progress.

Worst 25 seconds ever? Not even close. This was still just a regular season game. I'll take that 25 seconds over Missouri, Stanford, Washington, or any other gut-wrenching season-ending loss.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2017, 08:28:42 AM »

It is not an Illinois rule. It is a national rule - 9-1-3h - new for the 2016-17 season.

Kids shouting, "I've got shooter!" were being too aggressive in the actual act of getting the shooter. In some cases, they were making contact with the shooter a second after the release, affecting the follow-through. Plus, a shooter can be a little off-balance in the first second or two after release, and therefore can be knocked down by an overly aggressive opponent.

The rebounder in the closest-to-shooter position can still enter the lane upon release of the basketball. But he or she may not touch or step over the FT line or may not make contact with the shooter until the ball hits the rim.

It's not a radical change. I am a coach and told my players to make sure they don't do it, and they haven't. I also am a ref and haven't had any problem with it this season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback