[Today at 12:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 12:26:40 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Christian McCaffery  (Read 39966 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Christian McCaffery
« Reply #100 on: December 25, 2016, 10:41:44 AM »
Nobody answered my question. Did Tom Herman quit on Houston?

Crickets.

I have no idea what teams/scouts will do, and I'm more playing devil's advocate than anything else. I just think it is an interesting question and that there's valid arguments on both sides.

Addressing your question...yes, he did. I'm not a fan of the coaches that bail before a bowl game. The business is what it is, not everyone will finish out a contract, but I've never been a big fan of guys that leave their current school for a "better" gig before the season is over. What, the bowl season when there are no HS players to scout and no other business going on is so important that you can't stick around for another 2-3 weeks until you finish your season commitment?

Guy leaves after the season, fine. The schools both prepare for and somewhat expect that. But taking off in the middle...well, I guess it comes down to the meaning of a bowl game. I'm not nearly as big a college football fan as basketball, but growing up, I felt like the bowl season was the be-all, end-all of college football. Maybe it's been watered down with the quantity (okay, no maybe about it) of bowls and with the advent of an actual playoff that renders certain games clearly more important than others, but this is what you play for and what you coach for. Finish the damn job before you run off for another one.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #101 on: December 25, 2016, 11:55:26 AM »
It is the same as leaving Pepsi for GE.  Its a job in the entertainment business and he's not being paid enough to put at risk a better job in the NFL.

My guess is that you have never been part of an organization that demands an exquisite degree of team work. If you are a member of a team you see it through. 

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #102 on: December 25, 2016, 11:55:58 AM »
I have no idea what teams/scouts will do, and I'm more playing devil's advocate than anything else. I just think it is an interesting question and that there's valid arguments on both sides.

Addressing your question...yes, he did. I'm not a fan of the coaches that bail before a bowl game. The business is what it is, not everyone will finish out a contract, but I've never been a big fan of guys that leave their current school for a "better" gig before the season is over. What, the bowl season when there are no HS players to scout and no other business going on is so important that you can't stick around for another 2-3 weeks until you finish your season commitment?

Guy leaves after the season, fine. The schools both prepare for and somewhat expect that. But taking off in the middle...well, I guess it comes down to the meaning of a bowl game. I'm not nearly as big a college football fan as basketball, but growing up, I felt like the bowl season was the be-all, end-all of college football. Maybe it's been watered down with the quantity (okay, no maybe about it) of bowls and with the advent of an actual playoff that renders certain games clearly more important than others, but this is what you play for and what you coach for. Finish the damn job before you run off for another one.

Thanks, brew. Appreciate your views.

I'm glad McCaffrey, Fournette and others are bailing on the bowls to concentrate on what really matters, but I understand why others feel differently.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #103 on: December 25, 2016, 01:03:12 PM »
My guess is that you have never been part of an organization that demands an exquisite degree of team work. If you are a member of a team you see it through.

You would not tolerate for five seconds if they underpaid you relative to your teammates.

Same for McCafferty

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #104 on: December 25, 2016, 02:10:33 PM »
If playing in your rec basketball championship jeopardizes your critical business trip, you sit it out, ai'na?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #105 on: December 25, 2016, 02:38:36 PM »
Simple solution, expand the playoffs and get rid of bowl games. I guarantee you that no one would be sitting out of a playoff game.

Bowl games are dumb and they ruin college football. The season is over for most teams after one loss. For most power 5 teams it's over after two losses. For all teams the season is over after three losses.  For western Michigan the season was over before it started!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #106 on: December 25, 2016, 03:46:53 PM »
Simple solution, expand the playoffs and get rid of bowl games. I guarantee you that no one would be sitting out of a playoff game.

Bowl games are dumb and they ruin college football. The season is over for most teams after one loss. For most power 5 teams it's over after two losses. For all teams the season is over after three losses.  For western Michigan the season was over before it started!

I agree, though the question becomes by how far. I can't see them going beyond 16 teams at the most. However that only gives you 15 games to monetize as opposed to what, 30-40 bowl games? Also, you are now expecting college teams to play as many as 17 games? Seems like quite a bit. The problem is that while it would be better for the sport, I'm not sure that's really the primary concern for the powers-that-be. Until you find a more profitable solution, the situation will stay status quo.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #107 on: December 25, 2016, 06:06:11 PM »
I agree, though the question becomes by how far. I can't see them going beyond 16 teams at the most. However that only gives you 15 games to monetize as opposed to what, 30-40 bowl games? Also, you are now expecting college teams to play as many as 17 games? Seems like quite a bit. The problem is that while it would be better for the sport, I'm not sure that's really the primary concern for the powers-that-be. Until you find a more profitable solution, the situation will stay status quo.

It will be many years before they expand the playoffs to even 8 games. 16 seems far, far away.

Even if there eventually is a 16-team playoff, there will still be bowl games. As long as there are sponsors and TV networks willing to pay big bucks, there will be bowl games. Ugh.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #108 on: December 25, 2016, 06:07:31 PM »
The military is a team-based environment and AFSOC TACPs are one of the most intricately integrated units anywhere. Everyone is expected to do their duty and then some.

This kid is on a team. The bowl game is the culmination of the full season's effort. He should honor his commitment to his teammates and play in this final game.

This isn't the same as leaving Pepsi to join GE. It is about fulfilling everything these guys worked for since Spring Practice.

While I can grasp why he is making this choice there is no honor in it.

Yeah this argument would have more validity if you wouldn't bring up the bullsh*t comparison to the military.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #109 on: December 26, 2016, 01:06:05 AM »

Yeah this argument would have more validity if you wouldn't bring up the bullsh*t comparison to the military.

Obviously you have never been a part of something requiring an intricate level of teamwork.

Being a member of an AF Special Operations unit approximates the level of teamwork expected and required of high level collegiate athletics in a way that writing pr copy for a college does not.

In fact, AFSOC warriors are expected to possess the physical strength and mental stamina that, perhaps, only professional athletes come close to matching. Playing golf on Sundays or beer league softball falls far short of what is required to earn the right to wear a Ranger tab. That is not opinion but fact.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #110 on: December 26, 2016, 10:27:19 AM »
Obviously you have never been a part of something requiring an intricate level of teamwork.

Being a member of an AF Special Operations unit approximates the level of teamwork expected and required of high level collegiate athletics in a way that writing pr copy for a college does not.

In fact, AFSOC warriors are expected to possess the physical strength and mental stamina that, perhaps, only professional athletes come close to matching. Playing golf on Sundays or beer league softball falls far short of what is required to earn the right to wear a Ranger tab. That is not opinion but fact.

Who is claiming that football doesn't involve teamwork?  There are other people trained to fill McCaffrey's role on the team.  Just like when people leave the armed forces when their contract ends.  Someone else steps up.

Furthermore the armed forces are a job where people are earning a living.  College athletics isn't.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #111 on: December 26, 2016, 10:39:56 AM »
If I'm McCaffery's teammate, and he doesn't play, I'm at worst mildly perturbed and maybe rib him about it at the first reunion. 

If he plays, rips up his knee and isn't the same again, I think about that for the rest of my life.

Even if there's only a 1 in 100 chance of the latter, I can't conceive of how I'd want my teammate to play in that game. I wouldn't need that on my conscience.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #112 on: December 26, 2016, 08:00:19 PM »
Those of you supporting McCaffrey - would you have felt the same if he had bagged it after the Colorado game in October?  After all, they were 4-3 and their hope for a major bowl was over...but his chances of a career-ending injury have been there all along.  Your rationale seems to be that he is the only one who gets to judge his individual risks vs the interests of the team, the fans and the school...so if he got worried about a career-ending injury on October 22, you should still be squarely on his side, right?

If not, why not? 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #113 on: December 26, 2016, 08:08:32 PM »
Those of you supporting McCaffrey - would you have felt the same if he had bagged it after the Colorado game in October?  After all, they were 4-3 and their hope for a major bowl was over...but his chances of a career-ending injury have been there all along.  Your rationale seems to be that he is the only one who gets to judge his individual risks vs the interests of the team, the fans and the school...so if he got worried about a career-ending injury on October 22, you should still be squarely on his side, right?

If not, why not? 

I really wouldn't have cared had he left after the Colorado game in October.  You have to remember that I think college athletics are severely tilted to the benefit of the schools, so if a player feels that it is no longer worth his while because it may harm his future earning power, I don't care if they leave mid-season.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #114 on: December 26, 2016, 08:40:14 PM »
He had already been injured.  If there was no chance for a berth in the conference championship game and he wanted to shut down, so be it. 

How many NFL players skip the pro bowl?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 09:30:34 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #115 on: December 26, 2016, 10:45:22 PM »

If not, why not?

1. Strawman argument. He didn't quit after 7 games. Your hypothetical situation is silly.

2. Coaches, who unlike players are paid handsomely for their loyalty, spend months and months and years and years preaching loyalty above all else. Then they wave bye-bye, often without even telling their players. For example, Gary Barnett told his Northwestern players that he bleeds purple and that they shouldn't listen to any rumors; two days later, he ditched his contract, ditched his school and ditched the players he claimed to love.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #116 on: December 27, 2016, 06:29:22 AM »
Clawback scholarship $ & consider immediate expulsion
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #117 on: December 27, 2016, 12:41:20 PM »
Even if there eventually is a 16-team playoff, there will still be bowl games. As long as there are sponsors and TV networks willing to pay big bucks, there will be bowl games. Ugh.

Yeah ... all this extra football is just the worst.
Seriously, I've never understood the incessant griping about "all the bowl games." Watching bowl games is not a compulsory activity. If you'd rather do something else with your time, by all means ....

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #118 on: December 27, 2016, 12:45:47 PM »

If not, why not?

Of course I'd be squarely on his side.
Why should he, or anyone, be compelled to play college football?

brandx

« Reply #119 on: December 27, 2016, 01:06:23 PM »

Fine as long as the player is then compensated for the $$$$ that he brought the school.

Bowl games are about the school making money. Simple as that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 27, 2016, 01:08:24 PM »

That would be a fantastic way to win over current and future players.
No chance rival coaches mention this during the recruiting process.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #121 on: December 27, 2016, 01:12:40 PM »
Fine as long as the player is then compensated for the $$$$ that he brought the school.

Bowl games are about the school making money. Simple as that.

The man agreed to play FB in exchange for a scholarship. Don't enter into contracts you're not gonna honor.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #122 on: December 27, 2016, 01:16:07 PM »
The man agreed to play FB in exchange for a scholarship. Don't enter into contracts you're not gonna honor.

You should be saying to dozens of college football and basketball coaches every year.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #123 on: December 27, 2016, 01:32:43 PM »
You should be saying to dozens of college football and basketball coaches every year.

Why? Completely different. Their contracts include clear provisions for terminating without cause... often they owe $$$ to the school & certainly don't continue to get paid. There is indeed a price to pay.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #124 on: December 27, 2016, 02:45:34 PM »

Where in an NCAA financial aid agreement does it state immediate expulsion is the penalty for not playing?