collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 10:48:14 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[Today at 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Christian McCaffery  (Read 39942 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Christian McCaffery
« on: December 19, 2016, 08:59:46 AM »
Christian McCaffery sitting out Stanford's bowl game to prepare for the draft. Smart long-term decision or selfish player who's bailing on his teammates?

I tend to believe it's both and I fully expect this to become a trend among college football players.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/18310396/christian-mccaffrey-stanford-cardinal-skip-hyundai-sun-bowl

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Christian McCaffery
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 09:10:07 AM »
Fournette did the same. Good for the both of them. If coches leave their teams to prepare for their next jobs then so can players.

They're not getting paid and why risk injury in the friggen Sun Bowl and drop a round or two in the draft.

Does nobody remember Jaylon Smith?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 09:29:29 AM »

I can assure you if Stanford was playing in the Fiesta Bowl, this would be a diff story.  I think this is is very much a result of Stanford having an underwhelming season and playing in a meaningless bowl game.

brandx

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 10:01:34 AM »
That's why he went to college.

It's like criticizing a guy for quitting an internship when he is offered a full-time job at a good company. His job will be playing in the NFL. That's his future and where his income will derive.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 10:42:45 AM »
That's why he went to college.

It's like criticizing a guy for quitting an internship when he is offered a full-time job at a good company. His job will be playing in the NFL. That's his future and where his income will derive.

Yep. If you're a lock to go early, you don't play in the Senior Bowl either.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 10:44:30 AM »

Or Willis McGahee in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 10:55:02 AM »
Or Willis McGahee in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl

That was brutal...I dont think people realize how hard it is to tear a PCL

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 11:00:05 AM »
Smart move. I have no doubt this will catch-on for top prospects in non-marquee bowl games.

Most of the bowl games are meaningless ventures that only a team's hardcore fans will watch and remember. And, the only real value is providing ESPN with relevantly cheap content during a period of time when people are home and not working.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 11:01:48 AM »
I've often wondered if players should skip entire seasons.  For instance, had McCafferey just decided not to play this year after he carved up Iowa in the Rose Bowl, how much would it have affected his draft status?  (My guess is "enough that it was worth the risk," but I don't know enough to know.)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 11:09:12 AM »
If Stanford was playing for a NC, he would play.    However, a Stanford education equates to a smart guy who more than likely ran a risk/benefit analysis and opted to insure his future income to the best of his ability.     Hard to argue.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 12:52:48 PM »
I've often wondered if players should skip entire seasons.  For instance, had McCafferey just decided not to play this year after he carved up Iowa in the Rose Bowl, how much would it have affected his draft status?  (My guess is "enough that it was worth the risk," but I don't know enough to know.)

I'd have no issue with a player sitting out an entire season. Fournette and Clowney would have been in prime position to do that. Clowney was physically on the field his last year at SC but I'm not sure how much he actually played. Obviously that didn't hurt his draft stock.

If I was a fellow Stanford football player, I'd have some serious issues with McCaffery quitting before the last game though.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 01:02:36 PM »
I'd have no issue with a player sitting out an entire season. Fournette and Clowney would have been in prime position to do that. Clowney was physically on the field his last year at SC but I'm not sure how much he actually played. Obviously that didn't hurt his draft stock.

If I was a fellow Stanford football player, I'd have some serious issues with McCaffery quitting before the last game though.

I actually think most would be fully supportive.  They know its a meaningless game.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 01:13:42 PM »

I actually think most would be fully supportive.  They know its a meaningless game.

Then why are they playing? Even someone with no NFL future shouldn't want to risk blowing out a knee and getting concussed in a meaningless game. Actually, Stanford's games have basically been meaningless since mid-October. Should they have just shut down the season at that point?

I understand McCaffery's thought-process but there's no way most of his teammates are supportive of him quitting.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 01:16:41 PM »
Bowl games = glorified exhibition games.

Aside from the playoff games, I won't watch one second of any bowl game, and tens of millions share that philosophy.

This was a highly intelligent decision for McCaffery. His college education didn't go to waste. And Fournette showed that even LSU kids can be smart!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 01:30:22 PM »

Beyond draft status, I wonder how much sitting out a full year just hurts a player's overall development and ability to play at the next level.
Two notable All-American players - Mike Williams and Maurice Clarrett - sat out the season before they were drafted in 2005 and both turned out to be huge NFL busts. It may very well be that they would have been busts regardless, but missing a year of football likely contributed, IMO.
Dorial Beckham Green looked to be a surefire high first-round pick after his first two seasons at Mizzou, then got kicked out of school, sat out a year as a transfer then declared for the draft. Fell into the second round, played poorly with his first team and got traded, and now is a backup on a team with terrible receivers.

I understand what McCaffery and Fournette are doing, and it's probably in their best interests - so long as meathead NFL coaches/GMs don't downgrade them for not loving the game or some such nonsense - but skipping a full college season seems to be detrimental to a player's long-term growth.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 01:48:08 PM »
Beyond draft status, I wonder how much sitting out a full year just hurts a player's overall development and ability to play at the next level.
Two notable All-American players - Mike Williams and Maurice Clarrett - sat out the season before they were drafted in 2005 and both turned out to be huge NFL busts. It may very well be that they would have been busts regardless, but missing a year of football likely contributed, IMO.
Dorial Beckham Green looked to be a surefire high first-round pick after his first two seasons at Mizzou, then got kicked out of school, sat out a year as a transfer then declared for the draft. Fell into the second round, played poorly with his first team and got traded, and now is a backup on a team with terrible receivers.

I understand what McCaffery and Fournette are doing, and it's probably in their best interests - so long as meathead NFL coaches/GMs don't downgrade them for not loving the game or some such nonsense - but skipping a full college season seems to be detrimental to a player's long-term growth.

OK, I'm down with this answer.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2016, 01:48:59 PM »
PFTCommentator has the hottest take on this..

Love how hes sitting out to let his teamates get the spotlight.True Chrisitan.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 01:50:48 PM »
PFTCommentator has the hottest take on this..

Love how hes sitting out to let his teamates get the spotlight.True Chrisitan.

Those bashing McCaffery?
Just another case of Christian persecution in this country.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 01:55:53 PM »
So if we had made the NIT last season everyone here would be OK with Henry sitting out the tournament. Hell, even if we had made the NCAA those games would be meaningless for/to him to risk his future income.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 02:03:40 PM »
So if we had made the NIT last season everyone here would be OK with Henry sitting out the tournament. Hell, even if we had made the NCAA those games would be meaningless for/to him to risk his future income.

NIT sure, it is kinda pointless so I dont think I would harbor much hard feelings there. NCAA, theres always a chance to win a national championship versus the Sun Bowl. As someone said, if it was the playoffs im sure McCaffery plays.

Plus, the injury risk in basketball probably much less than in football. Sure, you can have a Shaun Livingston or a Kevin Ware, but the risk for concussion is way less.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2016, 02:09:46 PM »

The chances of you getting a career threatening injury in basketball is much less than in football.

But if Henry wanted to skip the NIT, I would have been fine.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2016, 02:36:21 PM »
The way that college football is set up, once a team loses 2 games their season is basically over. They're not playing for a national championship and with a third loss, they're likely out of BCS bowl contention. What's the point after that?

Once a team loses their third game, should the top players all quit to focus on the draft? Isn't it all meaningless after that anyway? Seriously, is the Sun Bowl really any more meaningless than Stanford's game against Arizona in late October?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2016, 02:40:24 PM »
The way that college football is set up, once a team loses 2 games their season is basically over. They're not playing for a national championship and with a third loss, they're likely out of BCS bowl contention. What's the point after that?

Once a team loses their third game, should the top players all quit to focus on the draft? Isn't it all meaningless after that anyway? Seriously, is the Sun Bowl really any more meaningless than Stanford's game against Arizona in late October?

Maybe, I wouldnt be shocked to see players stop playing after a couple of early season losses. Right or wrong, if colleges wont start paying players, theyre gonna see the college game start disappearing and quickly.

In basketball as well, high ranking recruits may start going to China for a year before they are draft eligible.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2016, 02:47:42 PM »
Maybe, I wouldnt be shocked to see players stop playing after a couple of early season losses. Right or wrong, if colleges wont start paying players, theyre gonna see the college game start disappearing and quickly.

In basketball as well, high ranking recruits may start going to China for a year before they are draft eligible.

Not sure that is a bad thing. Might actually return to the day where we actually have student athletes who play sports to get a good education. What a novel idea.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2016, 02:51:21 PM »
Not sure that is a bad thing. Might actually return to the day where we actually have student athletes who play sports to get a good education. What a novel idea.

Please, do you think even back in the 70s that star players were in school to get an education?