[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA '17  (Read 241946 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: NBA '17
« Reply #850 on: January 11, 2018, 01:11:23 PM »
He?s a Restricted Free Agent after this year right? Hopefully Horst lets the market decide and doesn?t bid against himself like Hammond would do.

I can?t imagine giving him a max with all the injuries he?s had. Unless the salary cap was going to go shooting up again, which it doesn?t sound like. Maybe the thought of playing with Giannis would lure a big free agent that can have Jabari?s money at a lower risk.

Which is too bad. I like Jabari and he seems to enjoy Milwaukee. Just too risky if he?s looking for a max deal.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #851 on: January 12, 2018, 08:45:16 AM »
I believe he is restricted but would likely get some big offers the Bucks would be forced to match.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #852 on: January 12, 2018, 08:55:10 AM »
I believe he is restricted but would likely get some big offers the Bucks would be forced to match.

Do they get compensation of some sort if they decline to match?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #853 on: January 12, 2018, 09:06:46 AM »
Do they get compensation of some sort if they decline to match?

46. Does a team receive compensation when another team signs their free agent, like in some other sports?

No. A team that loses a free agent does not receive anything. It used to be the case in the NBA a long time ago, but not any longer. Perhaps the most famous example of this is when the Lakers' Gail Goodrich signed as a free agent with the New Orleans Jazz. The Lakers received a draft pick as compensation, which turned out to be Magic Johnson.
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q46

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #854 on: January 12, 2018, 10:26:21 AM »
Its going to be a tough call, but with the money that Jabari is likely to get from a team with cap space to burn and the willingness to take a chance on him, I will probably have a hard time rooting for the Bucks to match his top offer. With Giannis under contract for three more years, cap space is going to be at an absolute premium to surround him with good pieces, particularly on the trade market for both target players and other crappy contracts they might have to take on, given that the Bucks draft picks project to be less valuable over the next couple years.

Even a sub-max deal that would pay Jabari around $25M/yr over 4ish years is too much if you ask me - and he's likely to get more than that (reports had him looking for a $150+/5 extension in September). Sure guys can come back from ACL injuries, but the combination of that risk profile, along with the fact that Jabari doesn't really fill the most pressing needs vis-a-vis the rest of the roster makes the cap hit too risky. Each year rentals and guys with 1.5 years left come available at the deadline, and I think are a much better value proposition, with less long-term risk, than giving that kind of money to Jabari. Bucks already added Bledsoe, there is smoke around DeAndre Jordan, etc. Those guys will keep coming available on a rolling basis, and I don't know if the Bucks add that many more wins by giving Jabari a huge deal vs preserving as much space as possible, signing bench shooters and defensive stoppers to shorter, tradeable deals in FA, and waiting for big names to come available via trade.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #855 on: January 12, 2018, 10:34:32 AM »
46. Does a team receive compensation when another team signs their free agent, like in some other sports?

No. A team that loses a free agent does not receive anything. It used to be the case in the NBA a long time ago, but not any longer. Perhaps the most famous example of this is when the Lakers' Gail Goodrich signed as a free agent with the New Orleans Jazz. The Lakers received a draft pick as compensation, which turned out to be Magic Johnson.
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q46

Thank you.

Its going to be a tough call, but with the money that Jabari is likely to get from a team with cap space to burn and the willingness to take a chance on him, I will probably have a hard time rooting for the Bucks to match his top offer. With Giannis under contract for three more years, cap space is going to be at an absolute premium to surround him with good pieces, particularly on the trade market for both target players and other crappy contracts they might have to take on, given that the Bucks draft picks project to be less valuable over the next couple years.

Even a sub-max deal that would pay Jabari around $25M/yr over 4ish years is too much if you ask me - and he's likely to get more than that (reports had him looking for a $150+/5 extension in September). Sure guys can come back from ACL injuries, but the combination of that risk profile, along with the fact that Jabari doesn't really fill the most pressing needs vis-a-vis the rest of the roster makes the cap hit too risky. Each year rentals and guys with 1.5 years left come available at the deadline, and I think are a much better value proposition, with less long-term risk, than giving that kind of money to Jabari. Bucks already added Bledsoe, there is smoke around DeAndre Jordan, etc. Those guys will keep coming available on a rolling basis, and I don't know if the Bucks add that many more wins by giving Jabari a huge deal vs preserving as much space as possible, signing bench shooters and defensive stoppers to shorter, tradeable deals in FA, and waiting for big names to come available via trade.

I agree.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #856 on: January 12, 2018, 10:44:22 AM »
Something to think about for Jabari is that the market for RFAs is often more muted than we initially expect. There is usually a lot of posturing by the teams with these players that they'll "match any offer". Especially in the early days of free agency, teams don't want to lock up their cap space for the duration of the time from the offer sheet to the point where the Bucks have to match or decline (I think 3 days). This is especially true for teams with cap space that will be swinging for LeBron, who isn't likely to act fast. All the while, lower tier free agents get snapped up, and teams fall out of contention for the more lucrative RFAs.

So the Bucks have two options: try to trade him proactively, which you only do if you can get a Jordan-esque player on an expiring contract (not sure I do it for Jordan, personally) OR ride it out and see what the market bears.

I don't know what the rules are of matching and how long you have to wait until you could try to trade him.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #857 on: January 22, 2018, 03:05:18 PM »
Jason Kidd fired.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #858 on: January 22, 2018, 03:20:17 PM »
Buzz to the Bucks

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #859 on: January 22, 2018, 03:24:56 PM »
who's joe prunty?? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #860 on: January 22, 2018, 03:25:09 PM »
What's Tanned Tommy up to?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #861 on: January 22, 2018, 03:25:49 PM »
who's joe prunty??

Mr. Prunty's son, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #862 on: January 22, 2018, 03:35:59 PM »
who's joe prunty??

The interim coach of the Bucks.  They are being smart.  Have an interim until the offseason and see who becomes available.  You have to think the Bucks will be one of, if not THE, most attractive available job.  They will have their pick of available coaches.

I didn't think the owners had it in them.  Very happy with this move.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #863 on: January 22, 2018, 03:38:07 PM »
Have Joe Prunty and Rand Paul ever been seen in the same room together?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #864 on: January 22, 2018, 03:38:46 PM »
Wonder if there's a little infighting within the Bucks ownership. Kidd was Lasry's guy, Eden's not so much. Nonetheless, its imperative that they get the next hire correct. Look for a big splash going into the new arena.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #865 on: January 22, 2018, 03:41:51 PM »
I don't think Jason Kidd makes it to the all star break.

Thought this was gonna happen two weeks ago.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #866 on: January 22, 2018, 03:42:03 PM »
Very happy with this news. Agree they need to make a big splash moving into the new arena next season. Looking forward to see how this plays out and who they hire in a few months. It is an attractive job for a lot of reasons at the moment. No excuse to jag the hire up.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #867 on: January 22, 2018, 03:44:25 PM »
Wonder if there's a little infighting within the Bucks ownership. Kidd was Lasry's guy, Eden's not so much. Nonetheless, its imperative that they get the next hire correct. Look for a big splash going into the new arena.

Wut da fook iz dis, hey? Sumbody steal 4ever's login?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #868 on: January 22, 2018, 04:06:48 PM »

There is no doubt there is infighting within the Bucks ownership.  There were some articles about how split they were on the GM decision.

Very happy with this news. Agree they need to make a big splash moving into the new arena next season. Looking forward to see how this plays out and who they hire in a few months. It is an attractive job for a lot of reasons at the moment. No excuse to jag the hire up.

Agreed with you and 4Never.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #869 on: January 22, 2018, 04:10:28 PM »
According to ESPN, Giannis isn't happy. So this is all going accordingly to plan.

Winning cures all ills, but we haven't shown a consistent ability to do that.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #870 on: January 22, 2018, 04:12:30 PM »
The interim coach of the Bucks.  They are being smart.  Have an interim until the offseason and see who becomes available.  You have to think the Bucks will be one of, if not THE, most attractive available job.  They will have their pick of available coaches.

I didn't think the owners had it in them.  Very happy with this move.

I agree, no reason to rush it now.  They will limp into the playoffs as 5 seed, maybe win an opening round series.

New arena, generational talent in Giannis, weakened Eastern Conference if LBJ goes to Hou or LA.

Put me down for Fizdale..

TAKE THAT FOR DATA!

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #871 on: January 22, 2018, 04:38:07 PM »
According to ESPN, Giannis isn't happy. So this is all going accordingly to plan.

Winning cures all ills, but we haven't shown a consistent ability to do that.

Giannis is gonna end up a big baller in LA.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #872 on: January 22, 2018, 05:04:34 PM »

Yup.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #873 on: January 22, 2018, 05:49:49 PM »

:'(

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #874 on: January 22, 2018, 06:05:54 PM »
Herd a roomer on Van Gundy, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback