[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA '17  (Read 241556 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: NBA '17
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2017, 01:24:20 PM »
The more I think about it the more I like it.  Between having 2 top 15 draft picks in one of the better draft classes in a long time and getting back 3 players who could all be solid, but probably will never be great, players, the Kings actually have some pieces for the future.  By this time 2 years from now they could be minus Cousins but plus 5 solid rotational guys.

Part of the problem and the bias is that the Kings have shown no capability that they know what it takes to build a competent team.  So anytime they trade away an A-player like Cousins, it is going to be assumed that they are doing the dumb thing to do.

So you then think, "well let's see what happens here."

But then when the guy who covers the Kings for ESPN tweets this...

‏@BaxterHolmes
Source familiar w/ Kings’ thinking: "Vivek thinks Buddy [Hield] has Steph Curry potential.” Am told that fixation was a key driver in deal.

...you realize that you were right the first time.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2017, 05:40:29 AM »
I'm not sure anybody is giving up a difference maker for DeMarcus Cousins. And the 8th pick in this year's draft will be better than the 4th in next year's draft. This trade isn't amazing, but it's not as bad as people are saying it is.
I think it's highly unlikely it will be a top 10 pick at this point. It's 8/9 currently. NO should win more games than the Knicks with a healthy AD/Cousins. Sacramento's own pick will fail below them now. So its at 10 at that point. Portland, Charlotte and Miami are all within 2 games. Instead of a tier 2 guy falling, you are suddenly looking at Bridges, Williams and Patton with that pick.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2017, 01:11:55 PM »
The Bulls would never take a chance like that, which is a big reason why they have been in NBA purgatory for so long. They're more than happy maxing at being a middle of the pack playoff team.

In the late-90s and early-aughts, Reinsdorf said numerous times that the main reason he agreed with Krause to break up the dynasty was that he didn't want the Bulls to be just a middle-of-the-pack playoff team.

I'm pretty sure you are right and he was lying. The real reason is he didn't want to give Pippen, Phil and others real money. The threepeat Bulls (both sets of them) were among the best bargains in sports history.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2017, 02:11:39 PM »
The Bulls trade to move up to get McDermott looks awful now. Hate to see Taj go, guy is a pro's pro, great guy with his time in the community, very charitable.

brandx

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2017, 02:22:35 PM »
The Bulls trade to move up to get McDermott looks awful now. Hate to see Taj go, guy is a pro's pro, great guy with his time in the community, very charitable.

C'mon, Dish. It looked awful back when they drafted him.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2017, 02:28:58 PM »
GarPax just threw another pallet of quick guards that can't shoot onto this dumpster fire.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2017, 02:32:36 PM »
The Bulls weren't asking Boston for draft picks...you, have, got, to, be, kidding, me.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2017, 02:47:37 PM »
C'mon, Dish. It looked awful back when they drafted him.

Probably right, certainly right in hindsight. He's just not a good NBA player, and they gave up a lot to get him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2017, 03:13:11 PM »
The Bulls weren't asking Boston for draft picks...you, have, got, to, be, kidding, me.

So Boston was going to give the Bulls two first round picks for Butler and the Bulls turned that down???  Including one that will almost certainly be a top three pick???

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2017, 03:25:33 PM »
Probably right, certainly right in hindsight. He's just not a good NBA player, and they gave up a lot to get him.

It wasn't exactly a who's who of up-and-coming NBA stars who were taken after McDermott. They at least had the right idea in drafting a 6'8" shooter to spread the floor. They just took the wrong guy - Rodney Hood would have been a great fit and fell all the way to 23. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2017, 03:26:05 PM »

So Boston was going to give the Bulls two first round picks for Butler and the Bulls turned that down???  Including one that will almost certainly be a top three pick???

Where's this info coming from?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2017, 03:31:50 PM »
Apparently Wojnarowski said it on a recent podcast.  They didn't want the picks.  They wanted players.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2017, 03:41:35 PM »
Apparently Wojnarowski said it on a recent podcast.  They didn't want the picks.  They wanted players.

Thanks. Just found it. Boston supposedly offered up both Brooklyn's 2017 and 2018 picks but the Bulls wanted Crowder, Bradley and more. Looks like they want to blow it up by going from the #6-9 team in the East to being the #7-10 team. Even if they're looking for young, core players, they could have taken the picks and flipped them after the season.

Without Butler, the Bulls would fall into the lottery this season, while also owning a top 3 pick. In addition, they'd have their own high pick next season (after they're terrible) along with Brooklyn's 1st. Basically, they potentially turned down the opportunity to have the #1 and #12ish pick in 2017 along with 2 more top 5-7 picks in 2018.

They also asked team for a 1st Rounder in exchange for Mirotic. Really?!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 03:56:26 PM by MerrittsMustache »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2017, 03:42:55 PM »
Where's this info coming from?

As Vinnie said, Woj said it on The Vertical. The Bulls wanted players to build on the fly. They were asking for the likes of Jae, Thomas, Olynyk, Jaylen Brown. Boston's core.

This franchise sucks.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2017, 07:23:35 PM »
Friedell reported Celts were putting all kinds of protection on the Nets picks.

Still have no idea what the hell the Bulls are doing.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2017, 08:23:39 PM »
"Reshape the franchise on the fly"...what an absolute joke.

Also was seeing the Pacers balked cause it was the Nets pick, Bradley, and Crowder for George and they wanted another player. And now they will get jack when he goes to the Lakers after next year. They can battle the Bulls for the 8 seed when they sign Heyward

brandx

« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2017, 09:06:23 PM »
As Vinnie said, Woj said it on The Vertical. The Bulls wanted players to build on the fly. They were asking for the likes of Jae, Thomas, Olynyk, Jaylen Brown. Boston's core.

This franchise sucks.

Boston balked at giving up Crowder. They see him as the only guy they have who can play 'D' against Lebron.

I noticed that Paxson also used the McDermot trade as an excuse to bash Tibs.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2017, 09:16:07 PM »
Boston balked at giving up Crowder. They see him as the only guy they have who can play 'D' against Lebron.

Butler shuts down LBJ in a far superior manner than Jae, but whatever. I wanted Jae to stay and Jimmy join him, reach the finals.

brandx

« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2017, 07:51:31 AM »
Butler shuts down LBJ in a far superior manner than Jae, but whatever. I wanted Jae to stay and Jimmy join him, reach the finals.

Apparently, Stevens disagrees with you.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2017, 08:46:48 AM »

Possibly in retaliation to Tibs leaking that he was clamoring for Draymond Green when the Bulls drafted Marquis Teague. The Bulls' FO can be very petty.

If the Bulls have decided that they want to build a young team around Jimmy Butler, I could get on board with that. I just have no confidence that they know how to do that. Hoiberg's system calls for athletic shooters. They could have gone hard after Harrison Barnes (connections to McDermott and Hoiberg) and/or Eric Gordon (Chicago native) in free agency, but instead they signed two 30-something former All-Stars who can't shoot. They also traded their only athletic guard who can actually shoot for a PG who can't. Who knows? They may end up tanking next season despite their intentions to be a playoff team.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2017, 09:10:46 AM »
The Bulls' FO can be very petty.

Come on, they bought pizza for the gathered media yesterday.

brandx

« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2017, 09:54:07 AM »
Possibly in retaliation to Tibs leaking that he was clamoring for Draymond Green when the Bulls drafted Marquis Teague. The Bulls' FO can be very petty.

If the Bulls have decided that they want to build a young team around Jimmy Butler, I could get on board with that. I just have no confidence that they know how to do that. Hoiberg's system calls for athletic shooters. They could have gone hard after Harrison Barnes (connections to McDermott and Hoiberg) and/or Eric Gordon (Chicago native) in free agency, but instead they signed two 30-something former All-Stars who can't shoot. They also traded their only athletic guard who can actually shoot for a PG who can't. Who knows? They may end up tanking next season despite their intentions to be a playoff team.

We like to blame Paxson and Gar, but the problem is the Reinsdorfs.

They have destroyed the Sox and the Bulls.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2017, 12:14:42 PM »

As you mentioned, I don't have any confidence in the creativity of this front office.  The Rondo signing was perplexing to begin with and has turned out like everyone expected it would.

Wade fell into their laps so at that point in the offseason I really don't hold that move against them.

As for Barnes, signing him to the contract he received would have been a huge risk that the Bulls likely would have gotten ripped for at the time.  I don't recall many wanting to go after him at the beginning of last offseason. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2017, 10:23:18 PM »
Why did I willingly choose to watch Beasley's knee injury?  Why?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2017, 08:28:02 AM »
Why did I willingly choose to watch Beasley's knee injury?  Why?

If you were disturbed by that, don't ever look up the Napoleon McCallum injury.