'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Newsdreams
[Today at 03:20:44 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 03:19:42 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Sandy Cohen transfer article  (Read 17881 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Sandy Cohen transfer article
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2016, 09:54:17 PM »
[Sandy] is the only source that matters.

Cohen said. “I love everybody at Marquette, coaches and everything.”

Read his guardian quotes.

Who cares.  They don't matter, according to you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2016, 10:03:25 PM »
Read his guardian quotes. Your a former journalism guy you know how the game is played.

I have more experience in journalism than probably 99.99999 percent of this board and I can tell you I know exactly how the game is played ... and you're playing it wrong.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2016, 10:07:44 PM »
I remember a discussion regarding Wally's departure last spring.  Folks were on both sides of the discussion and had credible points.  Sandy was mired at the end of the bench.  Tough toenails.  If he wanted to stay Wojo would have certainly renewed his scholarship so he could finish his college career assuming Sandy was still doing all that was asked of him as a D1 athlete.  Sandy chose another path and Wojo shook his hand on the way out the door.

End of story.  Happens every day.  This isn't daycare.

By the way, I look to the left as I type this and there's a pic of Sammy with his perfect jumpshot form.  Let's put him on the bench so a kid who is getting his top notch college education paid for doesn't have hurt feelings.  Yeah, let's do that.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2016, 10:08:11 PM »
He is the only source that matters.

You might want to reread what you wrote, then there's no other side to be heard.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2016, 10:14:24 PM »
Sandy was good enough to displace an All Big East Rookie and cause him to transfer. Wojo is a guy who uses kids and disposes of them when he no longer needs them.

I have more experience in D1 athletics than probably 99 percent of this board and I can tell You I know a snake when I see one.

You really are an idiot. Brueswitz said the same thing about Bo Ryan.....he was there for 4 years and had no relationship with him. Both Crean and Buzz had guys who couldn't wait to get away from them...they also had guys that loved them. Ditto for KO......

Grow up.

He wanted to play.... if he was playing he wouldn't have left.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2016, 10:39:10 PM »
He is the only source that matters.

Who is the only source that matters?  You're reading a quote from his former coach.  Did you even read the quote that Sandy had?

"I love everybody at Marquette, coaches and everything. I just had to make the best decision for me. … Being a junior and not being able to play much is not really what I envisioned and not really what I thought would happen. It pretty much comes down to playing time.”

Uhh...let me repeat that.

"I love everybody at Marquette, coaches and everything. I just had to make the best decision for me. … Being a junior and not being able to play much is not really what I envisioned and not really what I thought would happen. It pretty much comes down to playing time.

Hmm.  He loves the coaches everybody at Marquette, coaches.  Hmm.  Loves them...but they don't talk to him and he doesn't have a relationship with him.  Hmm...

Oh, and the bit about it "pretty much" coming down to playing time.  Hmm...

You're an idiot.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2016, 10:47:27 PM »
Who is the only source that matters?  You're reading a quote from his former coach.  Did you even read the quote that Sandy had?

"I love everybody at Marquette, coaches and everything. I just had to make the best decision for me. … Being a junior and not being able to play much is not really what I envisioned and not really what I thought would happen. It pretty much comes down to playing time.”

Uhh...let me repeat that.

"I love everybody at Marquette, coaches and everything. I just had to make the best decision for me. … Being a junior and not being able to play much is not really what I envisioned and not really what I thought would happen. It pretty much comes down to playing time.

Hmm.  He loves the coaches everybody at Marquette, coaches.  Hmm.  Loves them...but they don't talk to him and he doesn't have a relationship with him.  Hmm...

Oh, and the bit about it "pretty much" coming down to playing time.  Hmm...

You're an idiot.

Reading some of MUFNY Posts remind me of what Elaine called Cramer.

"You're a Hipster Dufuss"
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2016, 11:26:26 PM »
This demonstrates what I have been saying for sometime. That being Wojo does not have these kids back and they know it. It is shameful that  a quality young man like Sandy did not to have a relationship with any coach on the team .

Interesting. Didn't you, just in the last 24 hours, post a link to the story where wojo challenged JJJ and you liked the move? This after calling wojo a de motivator?

I posted this story knowing full well you'd jump all over it. Be more transparent, you can't.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2016, 11:30:31 PM »
I'm
Sorry. Did someone say something about a smoked meats thread somewhere!? Am I missing something!?

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2016, 12:16:45 AM »
As I have said before, having 13 players on scholarship means 3-4 people every year will not be happy.  Once in awhile you can take a project.  Even having 11 good
players on the team it is very hard to keep them all happy.  Duane hopefully is buying in as I have to believe he starts next year.   Sam and Markus are exceptional
frosh, who deserve playing time.  You have to earn it on the court and they have.  It just means the other players have to work harder in practice.  Working hard in
practice makes everybody better.  Sandy was given more than enough chances, not good enough, bottom line.  Hope he goes to GB and has a great year in 2 years.

Now about coaches,  do you think the players loved Al McGuire, how many kids wanted to transfer during his years,  He only played 7 maybe, the others learned how
to clap.  Randy Wade was better than Allie, tough sh-t, Wade transferred.  George Frazier stayed, he was not a happy camper about Allie as well.  Jim Dudley, I think
hated Al,  probably Bill Neary as well.  The best story was Al telling Hank to take Craig Butrym out of a game, he was playing to good.  Oh well.  It happens on every
team in America if you are recruiting high end talent. 

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2016, 12:35:46 AM »
The fact that Sandy agreed to be interviewed for this article is evidence that he is getting advice from the wrong people. He should have at least stuck out this season.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2016, 12:43:40 AM »
The fact that Sandy agreed to be interviewed for this article is evidence that he is getting advice from the wrong people. He should have at least stuck out this season.

Agreed, but will get 2 more years of college for free, not a bad gig if you can get it.  Use basketball, not let basketball use him.  Get your degree and hopefully masters
degree, he can then go to Europe and play a little if he wants.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2016, 12:50:26 AM »
Agreed, but will get 2 more years of college for free, not a bad gig if you can get it.  Use basketball, not let basketball use him.  Get your degree and hopefully masters

I agree, but he skill could have played 25 more games this year and sat out next season for the same outcome (unless he's really transferring to play one semester of basketball at his next school.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2016, 02:43:21 AM »
This argument about Cohen saying he didn't feel like he was talked to enough/ignored etc. is completely stupid and pointless. There is only one person's whose opinion matters in a situation like this. That's Cohen's. If he felt like he wasn't being talked to enough. Then he wasn't talked to enough. If thats what caused him to leave, then thats what caused him to leave. Even if Wojo called him every 5 hours it wouldn't matter. If he felt like he wasn't being paid enough attention, then thats the end of the discussion. Maybe him and his next coach will have a telepathic link or something.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2016, 05:43:02 AM »
sandy was a good "get" at the time.  was a stud in seymour.  appeared to be fitting in as expected his freshman year, then stalled while others passed him by.  wojo gave him plenty of opportunities, but when one is also fighting to get this team back to the dance while the fans and administration is getting restless, you need the right personnel. not enough trophies or ribbons to go around at this level.  also, we don't have the ability to see him in practice as well
don't...don't don't don't don't

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2016, 07:11:22 AM »
sandy was a good "get" at the time.  was a stud in seymour.  appeared to be fitting in as expected his freshman year, then stalled while others passed him by.  wojo gave him plenty of opportunities, but when one is also fighting to get this team back to the dance while the fans and administration is getting restless, you need the right personnel. not enough trophies or ribbons to go around at this level.  also, we don't have the ability to see him in practice as well

Yup.  And ultimately it was Sandy's decision...which he mentions himself!  He realized he had been passed up and he decided to move on.  It sounds like both parties are better off but both are thankful for the opportunity they each had in this relationship.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2016, 08:35:47 AM »

Actually that isn't accurate.  He is only getting four years of college paid for by transferring at semester - and transferring after five semesters into a new school makes it tougher to put together something to graduate in three more.  If he would have stayed for the entire year, he would have gotten five years.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2016, 08:54:51 AM »

Actually that isn't accurate.  He is only getting four years of college paid for by transferring at semester - and transferring after five semesters into a new school makes it tougher to put together something to graduate in three more.  If he would have stayed for the entire year, he would have gotten five years.

If that is the case, Cohen should have sucked it up and stayed at MU!

lessthannick11

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2016, 09:11:12 AM »
Jeff Goodman ✔ @GoodmanESPN
Marquette transfer Sandy Cohen will play at Green Bay, source told ESPN. Eligible middle of next season.
7:48 AM - 6 Dec 2016

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2016, 09:11:44 AM »

I was wondering how this worked.  I assume Sandy's entire fall semester is paid for by his athletic scholarship at Marquette.  If he commits to, say, UWGB and is enrolled there for the spring semester I also assume that the spring semester is paid in full by his basketball scholarship from UWGB?  Unless they are full and he is aware of the fact that he needs to be a walk on (sitting out for transferring) for his spring semester and then on scholarship next year when something opens up there.  If he decides to sit out all of next year to get a full season to play, would he then get 2.5 years of scholarship from UWGB following his 2.5 from MU?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2016, 09:15:44 AM »
I was wondering how this worked.  I assume Sandy's entire fall semester is paid for by his athletic scholarship at Marquette.  If he commits to, say, UWGB and is enrolled there for the spring semester I also assume that the spring semester is paid in full by his basketball scholarship from UWGB?  Unless they are full and he is aware of the fact that he needs to be a walk on (sitting out for transferring) for his spring semester and then on scholarship next year when something opens up there.  If he decides to sit out all of next year to get a full season to play, would he then get 2.5 years of scholarship from UWGB following his 2.5 from MU?

Perhaps.  I'm not sure.  I don't think I have ever heard of a mid-year transfer sitting out three semesters to play another two. 

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2016, 10:01:38 AM »
I'm rooting for Sandy.    Seems like a good kid who just wants to play basketball.    It also is a tale that gives a peek into some of the challenges and difficulties in major programs and in lives of  recruits.  Sandy gets recruited by Buzz to a high-major program that has seen a window of success and must be flattered and thrilled as his dream is to play major D-1 (which it sounds like even surprised him a bit).   Buzz then leaves and the program is in turmoil (who knows...maybe if Buzz  stayed the same outcome for Sandy would have happened and he would have left...happened fairly regularly with Buzz).    Wojo comes in and at that point, hell, Sandy probably was one of his best guards but he absolutely needed bodies to get through his first year.    Wojo starts recruiting upgraded talent to fit his vision for the program and Sandy gets left behind in terms of minutes, contribution, etc. as he simply is not good enough at this level to displace the guys on the court.  It happens.   So, he wants to transfer (and MU was not his dream school according to him...playing D-1 hoops was his dream) and does...to hopefully find a place he can play, contribute and feel fulfilled.    I hope he does...I am openly rooting he does....by all signs he has overcome some difficulties in life and is motivated by the right things...just wasn't a fit here for what he wants to do and he moved on.   To blame Wojo for recruiting the best talent to the program is a plus...that is what he is getting paid to do.

I thought the article brought out the good in both parties...given the chaos and changing  dynamic of the program during the transition  and the renewed expectations for success...I would say this was fairly predictable and now both can move on...and I believe with integrity.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2016, 10:02:34 AM »
I live 20 miles from Seymour where Sandy excelled in high school.sports.  I was excited to see him go to Marquette.  He looked good out of the gate and then faltered both years during Big East play.  I believe he gave it his best and the coaches worked hard with him, but he just couldn't dominate in the Big East.  I hope he does well at UW-GB.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2016, 10:06:09 AM »
I would like to see the NCAA adjust the eligibility rules from play a single minute in a single game to something like play less than X minutes in the first X games.

John Dawson lost a whole year of eligibility when he played only 4 minutes in the first game (sitting in 7 more) before getting PoleAxed (10 mpg in previous season under Buzz).

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2016, 10:09:27 AM »
I would like to see the NCAA adjust the eligibility rules from play a single minute in a single game to something like play less than X minutes in the first X games.

John Dawson lost a whole year of eligibility when he played only 4 minutes in the first game (sitting in 7 more) before getting PoleAxed (10 mpg in previous season under Buzz).

I guess I would be OK with this, but the simple solution would be for players not to transfer at semester.  John, Deonte, and now Sandy, wasted an entire year of eligibility because they didn't want to tough it out for another few months.