[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sandy Cohen transfer article  (Read 18073 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: Sandy Cohen transfer article
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2016, 10:09:46 AM »
I'm rooting for Sandy.    Seems like a good kid who just wants to play basketball.    It also is a tale that gives a peek into some of the challenges and difficulties in major programs and in lives of  recruits.  Sandy gets recruited by Buzz to a high-major program that has seen a window of success and must be flattered and thrilled as his dream is to play major D-1 (which it sounds like even surprised him a bit).   Buzz then leaves and the program is in turmoil (who knows...maybe if Buzz  stayed the same outcome for Sandy would have happened and he would have left...happened fairly regularly with Buzz).    Wojo comes in and at that point, hell, Sandy probably was one of his best guards but he absolutely needed bodies to get through his first year.    Wojo starts recruiting upgraded talent to fit his vision for the program and Sandy gets left behind in terms of minutes, contribution, etc. as he simply is not good enough at this level to displace the guys on the court.  It happens.   So, he wants to transfer (and MU was not his dream school according to him...playing D-1 hoops was his dream) and does...to hopefully find a place he can play, contribute and feel fulfilled.    I hope he does...I am openly rooting he does....by all signs he has overcome some difficulties in life and is motivated by the right things...just wasn't a fit here for what he wants to do and he moved on.   To blame Wojo for recruiting the best talent to the program is a plus...that is what he is getting paid to do.

I thought the article brought out the good in both parties...given the chaos and changing  dynamic of the program during the transition  and the renewed expectations for success...I would say this was fairly predictable and now both can move on...and I believe with integrity.

+1

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2016, 10:27:19 AM »
I'm rooting for Sandy.    Seems like a good kid who just wants to play basketball.    It also is a tale that gives a peek into some of the challenges and difficulties in major programs and in lives of  recruits.  Sandy gets recruited by Buzz to a high-major program that has seen a window of success and must be flattered and thrilled as his dream is to play major D-1 (which it sounds like even surprised him a bit).   Buzz then leaves and the program is in turmoil (who knows...maybe if Buzz  stayed the same outcome for Sandy would have happened and he would have left...happened fairly regularly with Buzz).    Wojo comes in and at that point, hell, Sandy probably was one of his best guards but he absolutely needed bodies to get through his first year.    Wojo starts recruiting upgraded talent to fit his vision for the program and Sandy gets left behind in terms of minutes, contribution, etc. as he simply is not good enough at this level to displace the guys on the court.  It happens.   So, he wants to transfer (and MU was not his dream school according to him...playing D-1 hoops was his dream) and does...to hopefully find a place he can play, contribute and feel fulfilled.    I hope he does...I am openly rooting he does....by all signs he has overcome some difficulties in life and is motivated by the right things...just wasn't a fit here for what he wants to do and he moved on.   To blame Wojo for recruiting the best talent to the program is a plus...that is what he is getting paid to do.

I thought the article brought out the good in both parties...given the chaos and changing  dynamic of the program during the transition  and the renewed expectations for success...I would say this was fairly predictable and now both can move on...and I believe with integrity.

Well-done synopsis, Lanche.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2016, 10:32:20 AM »
Sandy seems like a nice kid and I hope he does well wherever he winds up. He simply wasn't a Big-East-Conference-level player. No disgrace.

I agree with this.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2016, 10:45:07 AM »
I would like to see the NCAA adjust the eligibility rules from play a single minute in a single game to something like play less than X minutes in the first X games.

John Dawson lost a whole year of eligibility when he played only 4 minutes in the first game (sitting in 7 more) before getting PoleAxed (10 mpg in previous season under Buzz).

Did he really though?  I thought I remember reading (on Scoop) that he appealed and the NCAA granted it,i.e., treat it as though he didn't play those four minutes.  Did I dream that?

connie

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2016, 10:50:32 AM »
I'm
Sorry. Did someone say something about a smoked meats thread somewhere!? Am I missing something!?

I have been curing and smoking my own bacon lately.  One bad experience with too much salt in the cure (or too much cure for the pork belly), but the others have been pretty spectacular.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2016, 11:03:16 AM »

I guess I would be OK with this, but the simple solution would be for players not to transfer at semester.  John, Deonte, and now Sandy, wasted an entire year of eligibility because they didn't want to tough it out for another few months.

Who are you coming around here with tough love... and what have you done with Dr. Boombatz?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2016, 11:07:43 AM »
Hey even though I am a liberal softie at heart, my kids can attest that I preach working hard and sacrificing in the short term to get the long term pay back.  Probably a little too much for their tastes.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 11:09:21 AM by Dr. Vinnie Boombatz »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2016, 11:30:37 AM »
Sandy knew where he was on the depth chart during the summer. It wasn't a secret. Sandy didn't want to believe it and decided to try and work his way into the rotation. When he couldn't do it after a few games he decided he wanted to leave. Happens all the time in college basketball. Its really a non-story and certainly not an indication that "Wojo is a snake."

Not sure what MUFINY wants from Wojo in this situation. Play Sandy over Hauser, JJJ, Katin, or Cheatham just to make him happy? It was painfully obvious that he was the worst player on the team. If you're the worst player, you don't get much playing time. It's tough but a necessary reality.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2016, 11:36:04 AM »
I would like to see the NCAA adjust the eligibility rules from play a single minute in a single game to something like play less than X minutes in the first X games.

John Dawson lost a whole year of eligibility when he played only 4 minutes in the first game (sitting in 7 more) before getting PoleAxed (10 mpg in previous season under Buzz).

I agree with this. It was a topic on sports talk radio the other day - in reference to football. If a player has to take a red-shirt off due to injury on the depth chart, or playing a freshman at the end of a blowout to get experience and avoid potential injury to your starters, etc... shouldn't waste a full year of eligibility in these cases.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2016, 11:38:37 AM »
This argument about Cohen saying he didn't feel like he was talked to enough/ignored etc. is completely stupid and pointless. There is only one person's whose opinion matters in a situation like this. That's Cohen's. If he felt like he wasn't being talked to enough. Then he wasn't talked to enough. If thats what caused him to leave, then thats what caused him to leave. Even if Wojo called him every 5 hours it wouldn't matter. If he felt like he wasn't being paid enough attention, then thats the end of the discussion. Maybe him and his next coach will have a telepathic link or something.

Here's the thing though, Sandy wasn't actually quoted as saying this. His handler/guardian SAID he said it. Big difference.

I'm not saying Sandy didn't perhaps feel slighted by the coaching staff, but there are people out there with agendas. I can at least admit I don't know what Sandy said, and point to this article as evidence.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2016, 11:40:33 AM »
Did he really though?  I thought I remember reading (on Scoop) that he appealed and the NCAA granted it,i.e., treat it as though he didn't play those four minutes.  Did I dream that?

Not sure.  Just know that he is listed as a senior on Liberty's roster.

Found this a few minutes later on Google:  I don't know where the appeal sits at this time.

October 2016

http://www.newsadvance.com/townnews/sport/four-minutes-costs-lu-s-dawson-one-year/article_ff7c9d4c-18dd-5ea1-b622-6249b18b7e07.html

« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 11:46:26 AM by Badgerhater »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2016, 11:45:17 AM »
Sandy was good enough to displace an All Big East Rookie and cause him to transfer. Wojo is a guy who uses kids and disposes of them when he no longer needs them.

Sandy played more minutes than Burton in exactly two games. The first two of the season. He shot 50% from three in those two games and deserved to be on the floor. Burton got more minutes than Sandy in the six consecutive games following. The "Sandy made Burton transfer" argument is a myth. Burton lost his mother and his coach. He tried to tough it out. Decided he couldn't and followed his friend Jameel to Iowa State.

Wojo is a guy who uses kids and disposes of them when he no longer needs them.

If by this you mean "plays the players who are most deserving of playing time" than I agree. Can you honestly tell me that Sandy's play was worth of more minutes?

I have more experience in D1 athletics than probably 99 percent of this board and I can tell You I know a snake when I see one.

Please share. You keep insisting that you know better than rest of us morons. What experience do you have that makes you more qualified? I'm honestly curious.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2016, 12:16:06 PM »
Well-done synopsis, Lanche.

Thank you, but feel free to call me by my first name: "Ava"

This is what happens when you are stuck in airports all day...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2016, 01:21:06 PM »

Not sure what MUFINY wants from Wojo in this situation. Play Sandy over Hauser, JJJ, Katin, or Cheatham just to make him happy? It was painfully obvious that he was the worst player on the team. If you're the worst player, you don't get much playing time. It's tough but a necessary reality.

This.

Well, MUFINY?

It's similar to those who look at the NBA All-Star roster and say, "So-and-so should be on the roster. He deserved it!" And then you ask, "OK, but who shouldn't be on the roster, then?"

Life doesn't happen in a vacuum.

(If it did, it would really suck. Waa-haa ... I'm killing me today!)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2016, 01:33:51 PM »

Didn't Dawson appeal and get his year back?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2016, 01:36:56 PM »

Read the thread.  He appealed.  It hasn't been determined.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2016, 01:37:01 PM »

As of October of this year he has not.   Google has not provided me anything more recent.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2016, 02:17:48 PM »
As of October of this year he has not.   Google has not provided me anything more recent.

He should retain O'Tule's lawyers.  That Irish guy was here for the better part of a decade.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2016, 03:42:05 PM »
Sandy was good enough to displace an All Big East Rookie and cause him to transfer. Wojo is a guy who uses kids and disposes of them when he no longer needs them.

I have more experience in D1 athletics than probably 99 percent of this board and I can tell You I know a snake when I see one.

You also thought Henry was a 4 year player.

So allow me to be hesitant on how much you actually know
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2016, 04:17:23 PM »

Hands clapping.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2016, 05:19:48 PM »

I said Henry was a one year player who may have elected to stay 4 years and garner championship glory. I realized early on that he was a selfish ball hog who was only out for himself and not the team.

By the way he is doing very well in the D League.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2016, 05:25:34 PM »
I said Henry was a one year player who may have elected to stay 4 years and garner championship glory. I realized early on that he was a selfish ball hog who was only out for himself and not the team.

By the way he is doing very well in the D League.

He was a selfish ball hog because if we had given him any less shots we would have won 5 games that year.

Also not sure what the D League jab is about. He's going to progress much faster there then at Marquette.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2016, 06:17:46 PM »
I said Henry was a one year player who may have elected to stay 4 years and garner championship glory.

I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

wadesworld

• All American
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2016, 10:08:56 PM »

Despite others' criticism, I for one love your performance art Tex.  Your refusal to be bounded by reality shows creative flare bordering on genius.  Your latest work, entitled "All Big East Rookie Run Off by Guy That Had to Transfer to Mid-Major to Get Off the Bench" is a whimsical flight of fancy that few artists not strung out on a six day heroine binge could ever conceive of. Bravo, Sir!

If by more experience in D1 athletics you mean "I could dunk in high school" then I agree with you on that as well.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

feedback