collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 10:48:14 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[Today at 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: We can do better. We need to. All MU fans  (Read 16782 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: We can do better. We need to. All MU fans
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2016, 10:36:10 PM »
That's not quite the story.  I reeled my crappie in, but there was a big bite taken out of it.

When I was living in Singapore a man was bitten in the jewels by a snake while sitting on the commode.

"According to a 1993 article in Singapore newspaper The Straits Times, headlined “Former National Athlete Bitten by Snake in Toilet,” a former shot-put champion was bitten on the testicles by an 8-foot python while sitting down to relieve himself. The bite was not poisonous, but the 43-year-old man was taken to the hospital to receive stitches."

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2016, 04:03:07 AM »
I used to fish Middle Eau Claire a lot. Possible record muskie out of there.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1987-06-17/sports/8702140777_1_bob-kutz-freshwater-fish

middle had some nice walleye, easier to catch than upper for some odd reason. been hitting middle since the late 60's(knee high to a grasshopper). also, they were known for their smallies as they had a huge crayfish population.  have a joint on upper since '92.  all 3 lakes(lower, middle, upper) are known for their nice muskie-ya just have to go get 'em.  it's too bad the buck n bass hole pub and eatery went down the chitter, 'ey-million dollar view!
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2016, 08:20:46 AM »
God help me but I love it so...

Has this always been a gif with the smoke in the background or have you upgraded your Patton game?

Babybluejeansfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2016, 08:40:45 AM »
Off the top of my head, none.

Maybe it's a California "thing".

http://dallas.citymomsblog.com/how-to-be-best-friends-with-your-husbands-ex/

More like a human thing.  They are called blended families, or bonus families.  Quite common, especially when kids are involved.  Remember, that ex wife is the mother of your husband's children.  Not everyone can pull it off do to jealousies.

Babybluejeansfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2016, 08:42:45 AM »
Why can't we all just fookin' get along, hey?

Well said, but after reading some of the things here I guess Christianity missed a few beats.  Forgiveness out the door.  Accusations without proof in vogue.  Casting stones. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2016, 11:54:13 AM »
At this point, I am starting to doubt the sincerity or longevity of your contrition.   I suspect I am not alone in this. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2016, 01:08:58 PM »

More like a human thing.  They are called blended families, or bonus families.  Quite common, especially when kids are involved.  Remember, that ex wife is the mother of your husband's children.  Not everyone can pull it off do to jealousies.

Of course, especially when discussing the nature of a relationship with an ex.  But an old girlfriend without kids involved might be a little different thing, and I'm not commenting at all on the Chicos matter that got this discussion started. 

I can't imagine anyone objecting to an ongoing, supportive relationship between the divorced parents of minor children.  That's to be absolutely encouraged.  But no doubt the second spouse understood that was part of the deal going in.  At least one would hope.

It can be a delicate situation in the case of an old girlfriend.  We have an acquaintance who is now divorced because her former husband decided to 'take up' with his girlfriend from their youth via Facebook when that was a new resource.  Things progressed in a way that ended up breaking up a family.  I don't think you would think that was healthy or appropriate.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 01:23:19 PM by jsglow »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2016, 01:44:21 PM »
Of course, especially when discussing the nature of a relationship with an ex.  But an old girlfriend without kids involved might be a little different thing, and I'm not commenting at all on the Chicos matter that got this discussion started. 

I can't imagine anyone objecting to an ongoing, supportive relationship between the divorced parents of minor children.  That's to be absolutely encouraged.  But no doubt the second spouse understood that was part of the deal going in.  At least one would hope.

It can be a delicate situation in the case of an old girlfriend.  We have an acquaintance who is now divorced because her former husband decided to 'take up' with his girlfriend from their youth via Facebook when that was a new resource.  Things progressed in a way that ended up breaking up a family.  I don't think you would think that was healthy or appropriate.

Funny you say that.  The same exact thing happened to my cousin.  His wife connected with an old boyfriend on Facebook.  She eventually went out on my cousin, quickly divorced him and quickly married the old boyfriend.  In the twist, his ex-wife and the old boyfriend were divorced less than 2 years later. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2016, 02:06:50 PM »
Funny you say that.  The same exact thing happened to my cousin.  His wife connected with an old boyfriend on Facebook.  She eventually went out on my cousin, quickly divorced him and quickly married the old boyfriend.  In the twist, his ex-wife and the old boyfriend were divorced less than 2 years later. 

I was just going to respond to the last paragraph of glow's post by saying that most people's experience with an old boy/girlfriend in a married couple's picture was exactly that.  Thank you for corroborating my point.

I had a friend when I was in my early teens whose parents were divorced, both had remarried, and everybody got along great (which was kind of a foreign experience for me as far as divorces went).  In any event, turns out that his mother ended up getting it on with her HS sweetheart (who was also married at the time).  So his parents divorced, his mother married the HS sweetheart, and about a year later his father ended up marrying the HS sweetheart's ex-wife.

I came to find out all of this several years later after everyone ended up divorced again; big surprise there.  Lost touch with my friend, but also wouldn't be surprised if he's doing a dime at FMC-RST right now.... I didn't know him before all this went down, but he was always a few fries short of a happy meal.  Hopefully he got his head on straight, because something like that may not have any immediate effects, but if left unaddressed, pretty good chance the cycle will repeat itself when the kids grow up.

Granted, I'm sure there are marriages out there with a boy/girlfriend in the picture that are working out just fine, but I would say of those that haven't blown up, if you listen closely, pretty good chance you'll hear ticking in the background in many of them. 

tick.....

tick.....

tick.....

tick.....

tick.....
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2016, 02:16:22 PM »
BTW... don't look into my previous post as some sort of implication of what flavor this thread's kool-aid is.  But if I had to guess, I would say it's Sharkleberry-we-should-probably-just-shut-this-thread-down-and-delete-it-Fin.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2016, 03:35:47 PM »
When I was living in Singapore a man was bitten in the jewels by a snake while sitting on the commode.

"According to a 1993 article in Singapore newspaper The Straits Times, headlined “Former National Athlete Bitten by Snake in Toilet,” a former shot-put champion was bitten on the testicles by an 8-foot python while sitting down to relieve himself. The bite was not poisonous, but the 43-year-old man was taken to the hospital to receive stitches."

there was a joke about that type of situation-guy bitten in the nether region by a very poisonous snake,  his hiking partner said, that's not good because the only way to survive this type of bite was to have someone suck the venom out of the bitten area.  the dude who was bitten asks, well what are you trying to tell me...to which his buddy says-sorry, but you're gonna die

ok now you can shut 'er down, eyn'a?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 04:39:53 PM by rocket surgeon »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2016, 03:53:13 PM »
there was a joke about that type of situation-guy bitten in the nether region by a very poisonous snake,  his hiking partner said, that's not good because the only way to survive this type of bite was to have someone suck the venom out of the bitten area.  the dude who was bitten asks, well what are you trying to tell me...to which his buddy says-sorry, but you're gonna die

That joke is sold old, it's wearing a gold sweater vest.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2016, 04:42:01 PM »
That joke is sold old, it's wearing a gold sweater vest.

come on chick, there might be some utes hee who haven't heard it...if it weren't for nerds like me, these would all just get lost in the archives

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2016, 04:42:39 PM »
but i will never be found in a gold sweater vest 8-)

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2016, 09:12:18 PM »

ok now you can shut 'er down, eyn'a?

The joke is actually that the hiking partner runs to find  (or calls, I guess) a doctor who tells him he needs to suck the venom out or his friend will die. He gets back to his friend and the friend asks, "what did the doctor say?" and he responds, "that you're going to die."

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2016, 11:51:58 PM »
  My girlfriend who passed, she was mostly Hispanic. 

So unnatural carnal knowledgeing Chico.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2016, 11:56:41 PM »
now this thread should really really be officially locked

Jams

• Walk-On
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2016, 02:55:11 AM »
Are you familiar with the concept of occam's razor?

Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected.

Here we have two hypotheses:

1) After being banned, Chicos created another screen name, as he has admitted to doing many times in the past, to continue the exact same types of political discussions he never could resist.

2) A different forum member, with no vested interest in doing so, created another screen name and tried to sound like Chicos pretending to be an African American in Madison, because he wanted other people to think he was Chicos, for no reason.

OK, I tried, I really did, but how does one let this go?  Coleman, if I may.  You claim Occam's Razor....let's look at the account you claim I created. Link below

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?action=profile;u=10730;area=showposts;start=50

He created his account in July if you click on his username.  I'm reading his posts....recruiting, taunting, recruiting, recruiting, recruiting, recruiting....said Herro would go to UW-madison....a week or so later that actually happens...recruiting. 

THREE MONTHS later in October, he makes a post in October about NFL  football ratings, which has been a popular news subject out there.    3 months later after creating the account and having very little activity.  From what I can tell, the first time race even comes up is when one of you guys start to call him Chicos, which it appears he thought was a racial attack on him.  If he didn't have a history on Scoop, how would he know what Chicos means?  Again, 3 months later this happens.

So Occam's razor suggests the fewest assumptions is the answer to the hypothesis, right?  So this Badger fan comes here to rub it in a little bit, talk recruiting, barely posts and waits three months to tell us his race, but only in response to what appears to be a racial attack to him (I'm guessing), and Occam's razor = your conclusion is it is me?  Sigh.  Since I've been a volume poster here forever, meaning a lot of posts, how does that profile of barely posting fit me?  Occam's razor?

Please, again, can we stop with the racial nonsense.  No one is pretending to be African American. We, the community, can do better than this.  Stop the labeling.  My goodness.  We need and can do better than this.

And how, does "the girlfriend's" husband feel about this? I'm trying to recall a stranger thread in the glorious history of muscopp.

This is PRN, by the way. I'm having password issues. Also, my girlfriend from junior high just found out she has clyamydia and I'm a bit of a wreck.

PRN (Creanlover), that was uncalled for commentary...I hope you get your password problem fixed, seems you were able to log in just fine in October under PuertoRicanNightmare.

My ex girlfriend remarried less than 2 years ago after being a single mom for 15+ years. Her husband, this was his second wife he lost to cancer....the first one after 18 years.  What an amazing eulogy he did for her.  They were perfect for one another.  It's terrible that a man should have to go through that twice in his life, let alone once.  Terrible, but he has handled it with tremendous grace.  To answer your question, he is fine with it.  We had a nice talk about how lucky each of us were to have her in our lives. An amazing man of faith.  His eulogy was one of the reasons I vowed to try and be a better person. It was amazing. I was lucky to find another true love and marry her, as was he, but he was dealt a brutal blow of losing both to cancer. 

Because I am not pretending to be an African American from Madison?

Neither am I.

Jams, at your best you are witty and insightful and compassionate.   I have been anti you returning.  No more.   I am going to choose to believe you are sincere.    Good luck, God bless, and I am sorry for your loss.

Thank you Tower. 

Welcome back, Jams. I don't always agree with you, in fact you can be maddeningly infuriating, but you make Scoop a better place.

I'm not back Keefe.  Yes, you can say I am tonight because I'm responding again right now, but truly am not coming back long term.  I'm just amazed that some people are like this and responding in such a manner, but again I have to take a step back and say I sometimes acted like this, too.  Shameful on my part, I hope some of these folks understand what they are doing, too. It's sad, joyless, no reflection of cura personalis.  Yup, I'm a hypocrite for doing it in the past, I hope others will recognize some of their comments for what they are. 

Very infrequent poster here.  I posted just the other day because it appeared to be a chicos free zone for once. 
While I think its good for chicos that he can reflect and see his actions it remains true that he held this board hostage for years and in my humble opinion destroyed the board. 
Now I am sorry he had a loss and and glad he has done some soul searching, however, his character has been revealed for the better part of a decade.  I hope one days clarity doesnt cause everyone to forget this.

Again, my apologies to you.  I noticed you said I ruined the board for decade and many years, but you only joined last week.  Welcome to MUScoop.  You missed a lot the last decade here, or I guess you didn't because you said you were here, but.....nevermind.

When Chicos arrived, shamelessly pretending to be a black man living in Madison so he could get some leverage in a debate on race (weird and vile conduct that really bothered me and should bother you too). Chicos, when you feel obligated to pretend you're black to support your position on race, you might want to re-think your position.

And that's only re-enforced today. What started as a poignant post about grief and perspective turned into defensive posturing and coded finger-pointing. We've seen this for a decade. I'll happily have a beer with the real life guy behind Chicos...seriously, I'll be in town for a game or two so feel free to PM me. But, to the extent this thread is a referendum on whether to allow Chicos (or Jams, or Hoopaloop, or RahRah, or badgerhoney) back, my vote is this: the little community is better off without it.

Sigh...see above.  I don't want back, but I'm going to defend myself from your charges. Occam's razor....indeed.

Tragic as it may be, how did Mrs. Hoopaloop react to you going off the rails at the death of your former girlfriend?

No, my wife is fantastic.  My wife knew my ex girlfriend quite well.  We're adults.  All of us have known each other since we were kids hung out together since 13 years of age.  We were all friends.  Thing is, my wife and I never dated when we were young in high school or college.  It wasn't until years later we got together, but that didn't change that all of our friends...we all hung out together and knew each other well.  My wife and I went to the funeral and rosary together, along with the rest of our crowd that hung out together.  It was difficult for my wife, she knows what a lovely person just left us.

Sultan - I totally get what you say and agree.

But if she had returned from her visit saying he was (along with you) the love of her life, the most beautiful person (inside and out) that she'd ever met and someone who ideally she would have shared her life with - you'd be OK with that?

Actually I said no one captured me like that UNTIL my wife.  And yes, she was the most beautiful person I have ever met inside and outside....my wife would concur with that.  Almost everyone in our class would concur with that.  Homecoming queen...natural beauty on the outside, but amazing beauty on the inside...that's why 1000's showed up at the services. I've never seen anything like that except for a celebrity service.  That doesn't change that I have an amazingly beautiful wife that I couldn't be more in love with going on 20 years of marriage, two great kids. The two are mutually exclusive in my opinion. 

Truly sorry for your loss. Still don't like you.

That's ok Bags, I respect that.  You or Tsmith, someone said that I stated something to you about miscarriage or something.  I feel awful if I did. I don't remember it, but if I did...ugh.  Miscarriage was part of our family which is why it would surprise me that I did. I know you and I had some interesting banter about abortion at times.  Either way, can't apologize enough to you.  Not asking you to like me, or accept me.  Hoping you will accept my apology, but I understand if you can't.  Peace.

Why can't we all just fookin' get along, hey?

Doc, that would be nice.  I don't think it is possible, but I tried.  I feel better at least for trying. Some odd anger here at times. 

This has become a joyless place.

At times, but it doesn't have to be.  We can do better.  We need to.  Really up to the individual.

So...just read this thread and it confirms the thesis that 97% of all Scoop threads spiral out of control beginning at page 1.65. 

Nonetheless, thanks, Chicos, and best of luck as you work on yourself.

I laughed, and thank you

http://dallas.citymomsblog.com/how-to-be-best-friends-with-your-husbands-ex/

Not a term I'm familiar with, but yes there are more than a fair share of people becoming friends with a spouse's ex.  We choose our friends, not our relatives.  Just a matter of it can work out or not, but it is not rare by any stretch. There is a divorcee in the office that has a similar type of relationship, mostly because of the kids. They aren't best buddies, but there is a healthy respect, they laugh with each other and get along very well.

So unnatural carnal knowledgeing Chico.

Mutaman, my ex-girlfriend was mostly Hispanic. Not sure why that's an issue.  Her mom was 100% Hispanic, her father half Italian and half Hispanic.  My point in bringing it up was if I'm racist, as some suggested here, how on earth could I have been with someone that long that wasn't my race? Isn't that the core principle of being racist? How on earth could I choose to live where I do?  Instead I get comments about the slaves as a comparison?   My goodness.  It just needs to stop.  We throw that label around, it is so damn unfortunate.

At this point, I am starting to doubt the sincerity or longevity of your contrition.   I suspect I am not alone in this.

Tower, I couldn't be more sincere. I cannot help it if you or others think every new poster is me.  Though I'd point out it seems a little ironic that creanlover, Mr. Sand-knit, hyperhoopaloop, the last 3 new posters that all happened to be in this thread with brand new accounts in the last 6 days...not one of them were labeled as Chicos.   8-)  Is the trick to comeback to MUscoop to just blast Chicos (me) at every turn, that way one throws everyone off the scent?  ;) 

Nevertheless, I meant my apology and my comments sincerely and I appreciated your response.  Stay safe in your job, I know it isn't an easy one.

Frustrated and disappointed.  Let's try to treat each other with a bit more respect.  Peace