[June 06, 2024, 09:01:17 PM]

Ranking Big East Centers by Its DJOver
[June 06, 2024, 08:28:03 PM]

Incoming freshmen by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 06, 2024, 07:38:04 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by willie warrior
[June 06, 2024, 04:19:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 4 out, 1 in  (Read 9541 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 4 out, 1 in
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2016, 05:07:42 PM »
We did run quite a bit of 4-out last season, too, with Henry as one of those on the perimeter.

He was a very good passer - especially good at feeding the post. He didn't hit enough jumpers to make opponents respect him very much out there, though.

And yes, it was clogged when Henry and Luke did play double-low. Almost as bad as when Davante and Deonte tried it three years ago. Those two guys were constantly in each other's way and it led Buzz to moving Davante (one of the best low-post players in the nation) off of the block. And when Otule was in there, too ... fugettaboutit!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2016, 10:23:59 PM »
Draftexpress has Kornet going 42nd in their current mock draft.  So Fischer went up against a solid opponent.
The one thing that surprised me that the announcers at some point in the second half said he was winded and had to go out. My first thought was MU players were better condition and the second thought was maybe the 4 out 1 line up will tire out a lot of opposing centers.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2016, 06:39:09 AM »
i didn't check out the final stat, but we had 16 points of turnovers...in the first half!!  that is a games worth.  so if we can use stuff like this to pick us up when the 3 isn't falling, bonus.  then the 3 starts falling as it did in the 2nd half=winner. 

i think glow mentioned it earlier-the play where fish hit katin cutting thru the lane.  the announcers noted that katin noted his defender had his back to the ball and didn't know where it was in relation to katin.  so katin realizing this, cut thru, to the hole and a great dish from fish

hey, i like that-another dish from fish-huh? yeah huh? yeah
don't...don't don't don't don't

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2016, 08:14:30 AM »
i didn't check out the final stat, but we had 16 points of turnovers...in the first half!!  that is a games worth.  so if we can use stuff like this to pick us up when the 3 isn't falling, bonus.  then the 3 starts falling as it did in the 2nd half=winner. 

i think glow mentioned it earlier-the play where fish hit katin cutting thru the lane.  the announcers noted that katin noted his defender had his back to the ball and didn't know where it was in relation to katin.  so katin realizing this, cut thru, to the hole and a great dish from fish

hey, i like that-another dish from fish-huh? yeah huh? yeah

I did.  Film breakdown yesterday proved I had incorrectly recalled the sequence.  You know who made the outstanding entry pass to Luke?  Not Traci as I had originally remembered.  Nope, Frosh sensation Sam Hauser.  Kid can flat out ball.  And by the way, did you notice his footwork on defense?  Like I said.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2016, 08:31:20 AM »
I did.  Film breakdown yesterday proved I had incorrectly recalled the sequence.  You know who made the outstanding entry pass to Luke?  Not Traci as I had originally remembered.  Nope, Frosh sensation Sam Hauser.  Kid can flat out ball.  And by the way, did you notice his footwork on defense?  Like I said.

The addition of Sam for 20 minutes vs. Cohen makes up for any loss of Henry at the 4.  Sam and Katin will be fine at the 4.  Henry was a volume shooter, average shooter
Sam looks like a real good shooter, great 6th man.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2016, 08:48:28 AM »

I, like most in MU-Land, am thrilled about causing those turnovers but we also have to be honest. Vandy is a team without a true PG, and LaChance was in WAY over his head. It was a little like MU last year, when we had Haanif playing PG. Could he do it? Yeah. Is it optimal? Uh-uh.

I'll be interested to see how things go in the next couple weeks. As someone else stated in another thread, we'll know a lot more about our lads a week from now.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2016, 08:56:13 AM »
The potential is higher and they both have more size

But Zona and especially MSU did not look good at all.

Indiana/Kansas tho....damn.
Zona and MSU looked like two physical powerhouses that were evenly matched and neutralizing each other.    And, based on track records, that will be the worst that an Izzo team will look all year.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2016, 09:22:56 AM »
Zona and MSU looked like two physical powerhouses that were evenly matched and neutralizing each other.    And, based on track records, that will be the worst that an Izzo team will look all year.

Or they could lose to a 15 seed when I also thought they were overrated...

Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Slim

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2016, 09:49:24 AM »

Sam's excellent footwork, on one play in particular, totally frustrated the ball handler on the baseline. The Vandy kid panicked, threw an errant pass which was picked off by jjj and turned into a layup. JJJ got credit for the steal and the bucket, but Sam made the play

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2016, 11:27:55 AM »
Sam's excellent footwork, on one play in particular, totally frustrated the ball handler on the baseline. The Vandy kid panicked, threw an errant pass which was picked off by jjj and turned into a layup. JJJ got credit for the steal and the bucket, but Sam made the play

+1.  I remember the play and was thoroughly impressed.  No doubt Wojo stopped the tape in film study and said the same thing.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2016, 06:34:38 PM »
I absolutely agree with this analysis.

Uhhhh, how much better is Joey exactly???
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2016, 07:04:10 PM »
maybe you guys could help me out here, but sam, aside from HE,  is one of the first freshman in a while, to come in here, looking like he knows what he's doing, looking comfortable, not intimidated as a freshman and executing in a long time.  HE came in here highly touted and rightly so, but sam, although pretty well known in the basketball circles, is surprising many on how quickly-SO FAR-he has stepped in and established himself as a player.  markus had a tough day at the office the other night as i'm sure sam is going to have nights like that as well.  markus is going to do very well-we have a nice nucleus of youngsters here.   

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2016, 07:08:23 PM »
I think it helps that Sam will be able to contribute without being the focal point of the offense.  The fresh last year had to carry too much of the burden for me to feel presently surprised by their contributions.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2016, 07:18:54 PM »
maybe you guys could help me out here, but sam, aside from HE,  is one of the first freshman in a while, to come in here, looking like he knows what he's doing, looking comfortable, not intimidated as a freshman and executing in a long time.  HE came in here highly touted and rightly so, but sam, although pretty well known in the basketball circles, is surprising many on how quickly-SO FAR-he has stepped in and established himself as a player.  markus had a tough day at the office the other night as i'm sure sam is going to have nights like that as well.  markus is going to do very well-we have a nice nucleus of youngsters here.

Other than Henry and Haanif, right?   Buzz didn't play freshmen much.   Crean never played a freshman much after the Amigos. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2016, 07:20:38 PM »

Haanif might argue that he did alright last year and despite being a complete flop on offense vander was able to be a great defender and didn't look overwhelmed his freshman year.
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2016, 07:33:39 PM »
I absolutely agree with this analysis.

Uhhhh, how much better is Joey exactly???

Joey is basically just a bigger version of Sam.  In my opinion, by the time he's entering college Joey will be just as skilled as Hank overall but in a slightly different way (not quite as dynamic at scoring the basketball, but smarter about when to assert himself and a better defender).  I'm not trying to bash Hank, but guys like Sam and Joey go slightly under the radar (though obviously both were/are highly rated, but I still think both should/should have been rated even higher) because they let the game come to them and aren't really flashy about anything, whereas Hank would look to score first, second and third, and he should've given that he was the best player on every team he played for up until this year by a wide margin.  But Sam and Joey are just those guys who you watch and think to yourself, "Hmm, he isn't really standing out, but he also is really solid at everything.  I wonder what his stat line is."  And all of a sudden you look and see he's got 22 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, and 3 steals when you would've guessed something like 12, 5, and 2.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2016, 07:40:33 PM »
Other than Henry and Haanif, right?   Buzz didn't play freshmen much.   Crean never played a freshman much after the Amigos.

wow-my bad-no disrespect to haanif.  although he was kind of thrown in to the fire, he also stood up to the challenge and is continuing to progress very very nicely.  i just hope we can enjoy him for 4 years

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2016, 08:02:33 PM »
Carter played a lot as a freshmen and so did Wilson. Wilson was a redshirt feshmen, but I think he would of played a lot for Buzz, if he was not injured.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2016, 08:24:19 PM »
Joey is basically just a bigger version of Sam.

Is Joey bigger than Sam?

This year's Marquette roster lists Sam at 6-7/225.

ESPN lists Joey at 6-7/210, Rivals and Scout at 6-8/210. I know he's only a high school junior. He could still be growing and should add muscle to his frame. But unless those measurements are out of date, there's no guarantee he's a 6-9 or 6-10 center prospect in 2018.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2016, 08:33:12 PM »
Is Joey bigger than Sam?

ESPN lists Joey at 6-7/210, Rivals and Scout at 6-8/210. I know he's only a high school junior. He could still be growing and should add muscle to his frame. But unless those measurements are out of date, there's no guarantee he's a 6-9 or 6-10 center prospect in 2018.

It's quite possible that Joey is still growing.  Sam grew 2 inches this summer, per Wojo.
Have some patience, FFS.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2016, 09:09:16 PM »
Sam was criminally underrated.  I think lack of exposure was a big problem.  Sam played for Wisconsin Academy, which I don't think played in many high profile tourneys.  Sam and Joey were the stars of the program and then there was a severe drop off.  So WA didn't draw the ranking gurus.

Joey then switched to Iowa Barnstormers for this past AAU cycle. A much better team with much better players, including a top 50 kid committed to Iowa.  They played in the big tournaments, and won a lot, often deep into the knockout rounds.  They were seen several times by all the gurus.

This is where a coach recruiting a player differs from the gurus.  Wojo tracked Sam closely and saw a great player.  Probably top 50 quality but ranked in the back end of the top 100 by the gurus.  Wojo felt similarly about Cheatham being under ranked.

Looks like Wojo was ahead of the curve on both Haanif and Sam.  Talent assessment may be one of Wojo's biggest strengths.  Combined with player development, most notably Jajuan Johnson, and I think Wojo has the ability to get Marquette back where we want to be.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2016, 09:25:09 PM »
Is Joey bigger than Sam?

I just saw Joey and Sam sitting next to each other last night and Joey is definitely "built" bigger. I think Sam is more cut up having been in a college program for a few months now, but Joey played TE for SPASH's football team and is molded like one. He's a big, big boy.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2016, 11:26:10 PM »
Is Joey bigger than Sam?

Just from a couple games I saw last year, Joey was bigger - similar height, but much more solid build.

Sam looks much bigger - taller and heavier than he was in HS. Maybe he got that "Sam Dekker bump" a couple years sooner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2016, 05:47:05 AM »
Regarding Sam's HS rating, IIRC, Dodds says that Sam was suffering from shin-splints during the summer between his junior/senior years and then during his senior year of HS.   Growth spurt related?   Just part of being super active?    Who knows?   But if he was impacted by shin splints, and therefore looked a little slower and a little less explosive, it could explain the HS ranking not matching up to what he showed in his first game.   

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2016, 07:20:16 AM »
I think high school rankings are skewed to favor athleticism over basketball IQ. High IQ players are more likely to contribute as freshmen.

feedback