Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 4 out, 1 in  (Read 9472 times)

jsglow

• All American
4 out, 1 in
« on: November 12, 2016, 06:43:20 AM »
One of the things I remember from last year was how clogged the paint would be when both Henry and Luke were down low.  That was compounded when teams felt they no longer had to protect the perimeter simply because we weren't a good shooting team.  Fast forward to this year and watch for the following:

- one on one D against Luke where he's able to get very deep on the block, get his entry pass when and where he wants it, and owns the opposing center finishing with a high percentage shot from point blank range.

- driving lanes all the way near or directly to the rack for guys like Cheatham, JjJ, Katin, Duane and Traci.

- ball movement because the floor is spread better.  I remember a second half sequence last night: Traci to Luke to a cutting Katin. Absolutely beautiful.

Let's discuss 4 out, 1 in.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: 4 out, 1 in
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 06:45:38 AM »
You got to shoot to make it work -- and we can shoot by the looks of it.  Want to see it versus a team with BEast size PF/C's -- I think Luke can hold his position but we will see.

I never understood why we didnt do more high/low last year - would have alleviated some of the issues you referenced.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 06:52:59 AM »
Someone else mentioned it, but it will be hard for teams to force us into an off night. Last night we shot great beyond the arc with three of the vaunted newcomers (Reinhardt, Rowsey, Howard) combining to go 1/9 from outside.

Further, bad nights at the arc won't necessarily kill us. We went 3/12 in the first half and were still the better team for most of it. This team can score in the post, from mid-range, and with the drive. If this is what Wojo teams will look like, I'm excited, because that was fun.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 07:04:47 AM »
The offense looked very smooth last night.   KR and Howard were the two who appeared to be forcing it, but KR got into a nice flow in the second half.    Very little standing around, lots of open looks, few forced shots, me likey.    But..... only one game.    Against a mid-pack SEC team.     I watched 4 teams after our game, all of whom were bigger, faster, more physical.    Granted, they are all the top 15, but there was a clear difference.     Lots of games to go. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 07:07:28 AM »
The offense looked very smooth last night.   KR and Howard were the two who appeared to be forcing it, but KR got into a nice flow in the second half.    Very little standing around, lots of open looks, few forced shots, me likey.    But..... only one game.    Against a mid-pack SEC team.     I watched 4 teams after our game, all of whom were bigger, faster, more physical.    Granted, they are all the top 15, but there was a clear difference.     Lots of games to go.

Let's walk before we run brother.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 07:11:04 AM »
We're saying the same thing.    MU looked really good last night.    I'm very pleased at the progress.    But there is still a ways to go. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 07:14:14 AM »
We lost the lead in the first half because we failed to defend the arc. A lot of our scoring was due to our defense and forcing turnovers. If we play good defense will win more, than lose, most our games.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 07:17:14 AM »
69, I personally thought at the end of the first half that the defense was still okay.  Granted there were too many lost guys available in the paint on poor switch offs but one must admit that Vandy hit some highly contested prayers.  I recall one on the right baseline with one second on the shot clock in particular.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 07:27:07 AM »
69, I personally thought at the end of the first half that the defense was still okay.  Granted there were too many lost guys available in the paint on poor switch offs but one must admit that Vandy hit some highly contested prayers.  I recall one on the right baseline with one second on the shot clock in particular.

Yeah, I believe that was Fisher-Davis hitting an off balance prayer. I immediately said "no way to defend blind luck".
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 08:01:59 AM »
Yeah, I believe that was Fisher-Davis hitting an off balance prayer. I immediately said "no way to defend blind luck".

I agree, Vandy was making some extremely tough shots, BUT...I rewatched the 2nd half, and Wojo stuck Cheatham on Fisher-Davis.  He almost totally shut him down.  The only bucket Davis made while Cheatham was on him was into a double team that again was a exceptionally difficult bucket. 

Cheatham had two sequences during the big run that really stood out.  The first was very tough D that forced Davis away from the paint into an awkward shot that Haanif then blocked out and collected the rebound which turned into a quick bucket for us at the other end.  The second was when he manned up against Davis, stole the ball from him, and came down to drain a 3 himself.

Excellent halftime adjustment by Wojo.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 08:42:14 AM »
Great observation TSmith. I might have to break down some tape and watch that again. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 09:00:36 AM »
I am sure the offense has something to do with it, but I saw a huge difference between last night's Fischer and last year's Fischer. In last night's game I do not remember Fischer getting the ball and trying to back the other center down to shoot a hook shot. Maybe, it was just Wojo recognizing that would not be a good idea against a taller shot blocking center, but I hope we mostly stay away from that. I hope the jumper Fischer hit was not a fluke.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 10:18:56 PM by bilsu »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 09:04:21 AM »
Last night on several occasions I saw Fischer get better low block position than almost any time last year.  I think floor spacing was mostly the reason as no double team help was available.  I'd like to hear from you guys that follow personnel closely just how good the Vandy center is supposed to be.  Was Fischer's accomplishment significant?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 09:08:14 AM »
I think this team is going to be fun to watch. And if JJJ, Luke, and HC bring it on a consistent basis we could be very good.

Just one game but I liked what I saw last night.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 09:20:57 AM »
Great second half but how can it not be when we were raining 3s.

Lots of shooters on this team that will shoot us into and out of games.
I am very impressed by Hauser.  He will be a great player.

Vandy did not have a true a point guard so I wouldn't expect us to turnover Big East teams that easily.  Heldt is a fouling machine so I anticipate getting beat up down low and on the glass.

Great game.  Great win.  I still think we are a NCAA bubble team.  Will get a better idea by the end of next week.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2016, 09:22:05 AM »
We're saying the same thing.    MU looked really good last night.    I'm very pleased at the progress.    But there is still a ways to go.

i think we will get a real good measure of this team vs Michigan.

brandx

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2016, 09:29:01 AM »
i think we will get a real good measure of this team vs Michigan.

We will see a good, experienced PG with Michigan.

TC vs. Walton and jjjjjj vs. Irvin will be great matchups. They will give us a good hint of where the team is going this year.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2016, 09:32:10 AM »
We will see a good, experienced PG with Michigan.

TC vs. Walton and jjjjjj vs. Irvin will be great matchups. They will give us a good hint of where the team is going this year.

Both MU and Mich are bubble teams, both look good on paper but middle of there conference right now.  This will be a huge game, but winnable as Mich is not
that big either.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2016, 10:07:04 AM »

The potential is higher and they both have more size

But Zona and especially MSU did not look good at all.

Indiana/Kansas tho....damn.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2016, 12:08:26 PM »
I am sure the offense has something to do with it, but I saw a huge difference betwen last night's Fischer and last year's Fischer. In last night's game I do not remember Fischer getting the ball and trying to back the other center down to shoot a hook shot. Maybe, it was just Wojo recognizing that would not be a good idea against a taller shot blocking center, but I hope we mostly stay away from that. I hope the jumper Fischer hit was not a fluke.

Two things about Fisher impressed me last night.

1. He looked physically bigger especially in the shoulders and upper arms.  Being able to finally work in the weight room over the off season was helpful.

2. The little jumper while facing the basketball resulted in an audible "WOW..nice!" from me.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2016, 12:35:41 PM »

Two things about Fisher impressed me last night.

1. He looked physically bigger especially in the shoulders and upper arms.  Being able to finally work in the weight room over the off season was helpful.

2. The little jumper while facing the basketball resulted in an audible "WOW..nice!" from me.

I was just happy to see him take it....when it went in I had the same reaction. 4-4 from the line was also nice to see.

It will be interesting to see if the lack of free throw attempts was an outlier or a trend.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2016, 12:39:05 PM »

That will be big if he can bring his man out and hit that 12 foot jumper.  Makes him so much tougher to defend and will open up driving lanes for his teammates. 

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2016, 12:49:46 PM »
I was just happy to see him take it....when it went in I had the same reaction. 4-4 from the line was also nice to see.

It will be interesting to see if the lack of free throw attempts was an outlier or a trend.

Ditto on the midrange. The threat of that lends itself to a slasher to the rim.

I think we need to expect a decrease in FTs. Our style of play that we're all hoping we succeed at is not one that will lend itself to living at the line

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2016, 02:40:40 PM »
Last night on several occasions I saw Fischer get better low block position than almost any time last year.  I think floor spacing was mostly the reason as no double team help was available.  I'd like to hear from you guys that follow personnel closely just how good the Vandy center is supposed to be.  Was Fischer's accomplishment significant?

Draftexpress has Kornet going 42nd in their current mock draft.  So Fischer went up against a solid opponent.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2016, 03:16:17 PM »
Draftexpress has Kornet going 42nd in their current mock draft.  So Fischer went up against a solid opponent.

Well alright then.  Hell of a game Luke.