Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vandy Game Thoughts  (Read 7926 times)

nyg

• All American
Vandy Game Thoughts
« on: November 11, 2016, 07:37:28 PM »
- JJJ played unreal, seems very quick
- Fischer no fouls, 18 and 7 and made a face up jumper.  Nice
- Carter was awesome.  7 points, 5 assists, no turnovers. Total different player.
- Hauser to spell KR and JJJ.  14 points and what a difference over Cohen, who will be at end of bench.
- KR maybe nervous to start?, who knows but great second half.
- Jeez, with this team, Du Wilson might fight for minutes and he played great.

-Interesting fact, MU shot 5 free throws, 4 by Fischer.  Vandy had 26.

Good start

brandx

Re: Vandy Game Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 07:39:04 PM »
I miss Tower :(

I never like to post about the game till we get his thoughts. They are always a good starting point.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 07:41:06 PM »

I never like to post about the game till we get his thoughts. They are always a good starting point.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=52570.msg0#new
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 07:41:58 PM »

What the hell?!?!?   I posted like 20 seconds before NYG
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 07:43:31 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brandx

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 07:42:37 PM »
But....

1. I love having upperclassmen. Luke, Katin, JJJJJ and even Duane played with a lot of swagger and confidence.

2. Carter is the PG on this team. He is a true point on both ends of the floor. I was probably his biggest advocate last year, and he looks ready for a really good year. Howard will be good, but right now it is no contest.

3. When threes are falling, we can play with anybody.

4. Defensive rebounding is going to be a problem.

5. This team is better than last year's team.

brandx

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 07:44:16 PM »

;D I didn't see your thread until after I posted here.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 07:46:13 PM »
Nice to have guards again and d rebounding was very good.  Can't wait to see it against a tougher team next week. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 07:48:17 PM »
;D I didn't see your thread until after I posted here.

;D
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 07:48:42 PM »
Letting The Engine run things in the second half was the way to go.   Howard will be good, but he wasn't ready to go tonight. 

Best newcomer was Hauser.  Reinhardt will probably be more consistent, but for a freshman in his first game, bright future.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 07:49:05 PM »

Sorry bud, your usually quick and thought you were out on call. So, I stepped up to plate.

Question for all......  Hauser looked just unreal tonight, is his brother really better than him?

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 07:51:45 PM »
A few notes:

Offensive efficiency
Marquette shot 26-43 (60.5%) on 2-pointers and 13-31 (41.9%) on 3-pointers. That's an eFG% of 61.5%. Very impressive. In the first 10 minutes of the second half, they outscored Vanderbilt 23-4 while committing zero turnovers. The game was over at that point.

Full-court ball pressure
In the second half, Vanderbilt never really seemed to be able to set up their offense or get any kind of flow going. Interesting to see if that becomes a hallmark of our defense.

Offensive versatility
Four players scored in double figures. Eight players scored overall. Six players hit at least 1 three-pointer. This offense could present opponents with some really tough choices when there are so many potential weapons to deal with.

Good energy and pace
Especially to open the second half. Marquette's ball pressure and good man-to-man defense forced ill-advised passes that led to 13 steals and 19 turnovers. On the offensive end, Marquette eventually found its rhythm with quick passes, drives and reversals that led to open shots.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 07:53:41 PM »
In the first half we couldn't hit from 3 and they couldn't miss.  I felt like here we go again.  Out playing the other team but it doesn't matter.  Then in the second half everything and I mean everything went in.  So if our defense can keep us in games when the shots aren't falling we should have a chance come back.  We play like we did in the second half and we could beat just about anybody.
JJJ is the difference maker you need to be a truly good team.  Luke played much more mature than last year.  Love Sam, got some go rebounds and is stoke from 3 is almost Novak-esk.  God its great to have the season back.

brandx

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 07:53:43 PM »
Sorry bud, your usually quick and thought you were out on call. So, I stepped up to plate.

Question for all......  Hauser looked just unreal tonight, is his brother really better than him?

nyg, my post wasn't anything against you. Just used to Tower leading the way.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 07:55:20 PM »
For comparison, Vanderbilt was 15-34 (44.1%) on 2-pointers and 8-24 on 3-pointers, for an eFG% of 46.6%. A good defensive effort — but after allowing 40 first-half points, there's room for improvement.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 07:57:54 PM »
For comparison, Vanderbilt was 15-34 (44.1%) on 2-pointers and 8-24 on 3-pointers, for an eFG% of 46.6%. A good defensive effort — but after allowing 40 first-half points, there's room for improvement.

We allowed 40 points, but it looked to me that we were actually playing good defense, but all the wild ass shots Vandy threw up went in.  Ball pressure and covering up their best shooter eliminated that in the 2nd half.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 07:58:05 PM »
Brandx, I had the same exact thought - like Tower's thoughts (not to diss NYG).

Wondering if Traci played so well how come Markus got the start. Stage fright? Apparently Woj thought he'd earned it. Haven't seen the stats but it seems like TC should be the man for now.

Hani is sweet. He's very good but prob. not so great he'll leave early. Makes you wonder about the career scoring mark.

How sweet it is to have the 3 as one of our weapons for a change.

This Hauser kid might have some potential.

Sandy's minutes likely to shrink as things progress. Unimpressive, sort of MIA.

How nice is it to have someone as good as Duane in the, what, 8-9 spot?

I don't like Howard's chances.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 08:00:49 PM »
I think Howard will be just fine.  Probably not as good this year as JB thinks, but he got off to a bad start and just never recovered. 

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 08:01:51 PM »

After watching this game, its very clear to me Wojo was very honest with Wally.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 08:02:12 PM »

He's 17.  He'll get better.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 08:03:03 PM »
We allowed 40 points, but it looked to me that we were actually playing good defense, but all the wild ass shots Vandy threw up went in.  Ball pressure and covering up their best shooter eliminated that in the 2nd half.

It wasn't terrible defense in the first half. But there were some bad lapses on switches that left Vanderbilt with wide-open shots. Agree that some of Vandy's shots that went in near the end of the half were well-defended.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 08:03:33 PM »

After watching this game, its very clear to me Wojo was very honest with Wally.

Yeah they played with a quickness that I haven't seen from a Marquette team for awhile. 

brandx

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 08:04:12 PM »
Brandx, I had the same exact thought - like Tower's thoughts (not to diss NYG).

Wondering if Traci played so well how come Markus got the start. Stage fright? Apparently Woj thought he'd earned it. Haven't seen the stats but it seems like TC should be the man for now.

Hani is sweet. He's very good but prob. not so great he'll leave early. Makes you wonder about the career scoring mark.

How sweet it is to have the 3 as one of our weapons for a change.

This Hauser kid might have some potential.

Sandy's minutes likely to shrink as things progress. Unimpressive, sort of MIA.

How nice is it to have someone as good as Duane in the, what, 8-9 spot?

I agree with everything you say, Miles.

I've learned the starting lineup changes a lot under Wojo over the first 10 games or so. Hopefully, Carter will start next game, but Howard is a lot better than he looked tonite.

You're right about Sam. Never looks rushed or like the game is moving to fast for him. Plus, the sweet shooting touch.

I also said last year that I thought Hani had a chance to be our all-time scorer. Like you said, I think he will be here for 4 years, so he has a chance.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 08:11:16 PM »
Was being down 1 at halftime an advantage? Vanderbilt came back from 8 down (?) and must of been feeling pretty good about themselves at halftime. I imagine Wojo lighting a fire under the players at halftime for giving the lead away.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 08:21:14 PM »
I meant Howard our next opponent, not Markus.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 08:24:33 PM »
First time since 1973 we beat these guys.

Nice game Warriors