Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vandy Game Thoughts  (Read 7925 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Vandy Game Thoughts
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2016, 08:26:22 PM »
I meant Howard our next opponent, not Markus.

Ah...that makes sense!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2016, 08:30:09 PM »
The defense was fine except for 5 minutes in the first half.  Maybe it was the combination on the floor, maybe Vandy just got on a streak.  I know during that stretch MU missed some layups that ended with JjJ and Haanif bring late getting back on defense.  It happens. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2016, 09:05:24 PM »
While a team always looks better and plays with more energy when its shots are falling, I really liked this game. Very encouraging. 6 or 7 players were quite impressive, and it's nice to have both upperclassmen and shooters.

Luke looked real strong against a legit opponent. If he can step out and hit that 15-footer from the baseline, he can really open things up for himself.

Katin was awesome in the first 10 minutes of the second half; Mrs. MU82 was swearing at him in the first half - tough crowd!

Traci was very much under control in the second half and it lifted the entire team.

Haani hasn't missed a beat from last year. Very smooth and deceptive.

And JJJ ... wow. I just hope Wojo doesn't pull any more mind games on him to make him transfer for the 43rd time.

It seems like forever ago that Wojo had to give Cohen major minutes.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2016, 09:09:33 PM »
Oops ... forgot to mention Hauser. Beautiful shooting form, very confident for a kid in his first college game. Definitely "stretch 4" materially, especially as he gets stronger.

I'm not concerned about Markus and Rowsey. They will have their moments and pick up the slack when one of the guys who was great tonight has an off game. It's one of the nice things about having depth.

Also, I loved the offensive tempo most of the night. Of course, much of that was set up by our defense.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2016, 09:20:00 PM »
Letting The Engine run things in the second half was the way to go.   Howard will be good, but he wasn't ready to go tonight. 

Best newcomer was Hauser.  Reinhardt will probably be more consistent, but for a freshman in his first game, bright future.

Reminds of Novak.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2016, 09:22:13 PM »
No... not the tower post. Don't take someone's original posts from them.

Not being rude but some fresh blood here and they are posting over some typical threads. Aka SOTG, post game threads by Tower...

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2016, 09:45:46 PM »

Wonder if Joey was watching Sam.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2016, 09:49:04 PM »

Wonder if Joey was watching Sam.

Joey's SPASH football team just lost to Kimberly. 

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2016, 09:54:21 PM »

Joey's SPASH football team just lost to Kimberly.

Thanks, maybe he'll make MSG.  On 2nd though his folk most likely Taped the Vandy  game.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2016, 10:02:47 PM »
How many live ball turnovers did we have? Seemed like almost all of our tos were offensive fouls. Not 1 travel the whole game.

It wasn't just that we made shots in the 2nd half... ..we took almost no bad shots. Wide open 3s off of great ball movement and layups for the most part.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2016, 10:27:29 PM »
Due to another commitment I could not watch the game or even listen...really could only get half time and final "wow" score.

So I'm eating up all this good vibe.
Saw rockhurst and will see Howard...but I'm looking ahead to Michigan. I want to see us take apart a decent team.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2016, 12:08:57 AM »
How many live ball turnovers did we have? Seemed like almost all of our tos were offensive fouls. Not 1 travel the whole game.

It wasn't just that we made shots in the 2nd half... ..we took almost no bad shots. Wide open 3s off of great ball movement and layups for the most part.

I know we had 4 illegal screens and at least 3 charges (1 of which was bogus). That leaves 5. I don't remember how many of those were live ball.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2016, 12:11:52 AM »
My takeaway is that we may not be susceptible to off nights, just because there are so many capable players. Ride the hot hand.

One reason for pause: we don't need Luke scoring like that every night, but we may need that defense to be as good every game. Matt clearly not ready for prime time yet.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 12:23:25 AM by GB Warrior »

Babybluejeansfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2016, 12:37:14 AM »
Great start to the season.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2016, 06:34:38 AM »
Not sure if this got mentioned...Vanderbilt was out for warm-ups, but as the Navy Guard presented the colors the team headed into the locker room. It was the first time I've ever seen an entire team miss the National Anthem. Maybe just a mistake, but certainly seemed odd.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2016, 06:41:30 AM »
Worried a bit about Matt....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2016, 06:45:56 AM »
Worried a bit about Matt....

I wouldn't be. The refs really called us tight down low and his weren't the only moving screens. He seemed a bit frustrated, but early season games always are an adjustment. I'm more happy that Luke was able to play 32 than worried about Matt. Give him a couple games to adjust.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2016, 07:06:58 AM »

It got comparatively sloppy during garbage time.    I know there were a couple of live ball turnovers late.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2016, 07:13:41 AM »
My takeaway is that we may not be susceptible to off nights, just because there are so many capable players. Ride the hot hand.

One reason for pause: we don't need Luke scoring like that every night, but we may need that defense to be as good every game. Matt clearly not ready for prime time yet.

Matty needs to get his butt in gear.  He simply must be able to give this team 10 minutes court time without picking up 4-5 fouls.  That said, I've now watched him play 3 times this year and he has elevated his game.  But those moving screen fouls on the offensive end MUST stop. Plan B will be to give those minutes to Sam but I fear that a true big might eat his lunch down low.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2016, 07:29:27 AM »
First time I've followed along with Matty V on twitter.  Constantly reminded of how nice it is to have him.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2016, 07:35:32 AM »
Again, looking back at The Midgets Part I, MU's keys for success this year are eFG% (61.5%), low turnover rate (15.3%), and fast paced, pressure defense since this year's team has depth to absorb fouls (78 possessions, 13 steals, 19 Vandy turnovers).  MU won two of the four factors, and upped the pace and pressure.

MU lost two of the four factors, O Rebounding and Free Throw rates.  O Rebounding effort was good, and MU didn't miss much in 2nd half especially.  Fouling is a function of the pressure (and two miserable Big East officials).  I suspect both of these to be with MU all season due to the make up of the team, but these two weaknesses can be offset by MU's two strengths as shown versus Vandy.

MU was well prepared and was way ahead with their experience and depth at this point in the season. Lots of plug and play options for Wojo. Hauser continues to really look good for a Frosh.  Howard needs to play defense with his feet rather than his hands to stay in the game.

Lastly, the Midgets had four NBA players and one other Olympian (besides Jimmy).  Who is capable on this roster of matching that?  Haanif, JJJ, Luke, and....?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 07:41:25 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2016, 08:15:17 AM »
Again, looking back at The Midgets Part I, MU's keys for success this year are eFG% (61.5%), low turnover rate (15.3%), and fast paced, pressure defense since this year's team has depth to absorb fouls (78 possessions, 13 steals, 19 Vandy turnovers).  MU won two of the four factors, and upped the pace and pressure.

MU lost two of the four factors, O Rebounding and Free Throw rates.  O Rebounding effort was good, and MU didn't miss much in 2nd half especially.  Fouling is a function of the pressure (and two miserable Big East officials).  I suspect both of these to be with MU all season due to the make up of the team, but these two weaknesses can be offset by MU's two strengths as shown versus Vandy.

MU was well prepared and was way ahead with their experience and depth at this point in the season. Lots of plug and play options for Wojo. Hauser continues to really look good for a Frosh.  Howard needs to play defense with his feet rather than his hands to stay in the game.

Lastly, the Midgets had four NBA players and one other Olympian (besides Jimmy).  Who is capable on this roster of matching that?  Haanif, JJJ, Luke, and....?

Sam being the most likely.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2016, 09:25:07 AM »
I'm not all that worried about Matt. His improvement from the first game last year to when he got hurt was very impressive. He did get called for a lot of moving screens last year though. May just need the game to slow down for him a touch.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2016, 09:30:21 AM »
I'm not all that worried about Matt. His improvement from the first game last year to when he got hurt was very impressive. He did get called for a lot of moving screens last year though. May just need the game to slow down for him a touch.

Setting picks is a coachable situation.  I am sure Matt will know how to set a screen moving forward, because as a player you want more playing time and 2 quick fouls
like that does not cut it.  Matt will be important, has to stay on the court, block out.  He looks like a different player physically this year.  Needs to give MU 10 minutes
a game, against smaller teams Hauser will play some center but that is not a perfect situation.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2016, 10:09:16 AM »
Reminds of Novak.

Novak is top 5 pure shooter in human history. But he couldn't do anything else (a bit more well-rounded senior year but still). Sam has a sweet stroke but he's already a more well-rounded college player than Novak. Not saying he's already better than Novak was as a frosh (although he might be), or will end up having a better career (although he might). They just have different games.

feedback