[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What will it take to convince you about Wojo as a coach?

If he wins more games this season than last year with Henry Ellenson
19 (10.5%)
If he gets us back to the NCAA this season
85 (47%)
If he earns multiple (3+) NCAA bids
53 (29.3%)
If he matches the number of consecutive NCAA bids (5) under Buzz Williams
9 (5%)
If he advances far into the NCAA tournament (Elite Eight/Final Four)
15 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 180

Voting closed: November 07, 2016, 08:54:44 AM

Author Topic: Poll: When will you be convinced about Wojo?  (Read 15158 times)

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Re: Poll: When will you be convinced about Wojo?
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2016, 05:47:12 AM »
It was the play. Like every good inbound play, there are multiple options that can be run depending on the defense. Going to Luke wasn't the first option but it was the play that was run.

And the argument can be made (pretty easily, I think) that well coached players are able to identify which option to take quickly.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2016, 04:17:06 PM »
Dgies

I like number three. Said on here many times that Xavier was our whipping boy for decades and now I want their program. It can be done and fingers crossed it happens.

Goose

You and I are aligned in terms of our hopes and concerns with the current regime. I am guardedly optimistic but intellectually prepared for mediocrity. This season really does serve as a bellwether.

Less than two years ago one of my other alma maters fired its head football coach after a losing season and brought in a new man. Today, in just his second season, that new man has his team ranked #2 in the nation and contending for a national championship. And he is doing it with the previous coach's players.

Marquette stands as one of the nation's most storied college basketball programs. The right man should be able to return the luster to one of the college game's more valuable gems. Staying home in March is no longer acceptable.

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2016, 04:22:03 PM »
Goose

You and I are aligned in terms of our hopes and concerns with the current regime. I am guardedly optimistic but intellectually prepared for mediocrity. This season really does serve as a bellwether.

Less than two years ago one of my other alma maters fired its head football coach after a losing season and brought in a new man. Today, in just his second season, that new man has his team ranked #2 in the nation and contending for a national championship. And he is doing it with the previous coach's players.

Marquette stands as one of the nation's most storied college basketball programs. The right man should be able to return the luster to one of the college game's more valuable gems. Staying home in March is no longer acceptable.

Sorry, but Brad Stevens isn't coming through the door to MU anytime soon.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2016, 05:08:09 PM »
Goose

Keefe, I live in Detroit and every MSU fan would quickly remind you that while you're correct that all of U of M's players are Brady Hoke's, they were all top 10 recruiting classes. Getting talent to Ann Arbor hasn't been the issue, the coaching was.

Wojo has had every little talent to work with thus far and what he's had has been young. I think this year is critical and that the tournament is very realistic. It's time Wojo to prove himself because this is the most talented team he's had
Bring back FFP!!!

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2016, 05:17:39 PM »
Sorry, but Brad Stevens isn't coming through the door to MU anytime soon.
First thing i thought was "sorry, but Steve Kerr isn't coming through the door to MU anytime soon".

Harbaugh was coming off a Super Bowl run, not an assistant under Saban.

I do agree that this will be an interesting look at what Wojo's full capabilities are - i voted "more wins than last year"

« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 05:20:10 PM by naginiF »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2016, 05:19:19 PM »
First thing i thought was "sorry, but Steve Kerr isn't coming through the door to MU anytime soon".

Harbaugh was coming off a Super Bowl run, not an assistant under Saban.

Harbaugh went from being a great college coach to being a really good pro coach back to being a great college coach. That's what Stevens would do. Kerr has never been a college coach.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2016, 07:13:01 PM »
My observation is that the players don't feel he has their back. Lack of trust equates to lack of confidence.  Players don't play to their natural capabilities as a result. Unfortunately, I don't believe he will ever change his style.
I just do not see this, because Wojo really has not had a lot of transfers out of the program. Maybe, if you were talking to Burton, Mayo or Dawson you might get this impression. Taylor also transferred, but I have not heard anything about him saying it was due to Wojo.

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2016, 07:23:43 PM »
Harbaugh went from being a great college coach to being a really good pro coach back to being a great college coach. That's what Stevens would do. Kerr has never been a college coach.
I was agreeing with you, not arguing over the nuances of the examples we used.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2016, 07:29:25 PM »
I was agreeing with you, not arguing over the nuances of the examples we used.

Oh hah, gotcha.  My bad.

Not to mention, while we have a rich history, we don't have 11 national titles like Michigan football does, and none in my lifetime like UM does.

Wojo will be just fine.

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2016, 08:07:10 PM »
Oh hah, gotcha.  My bad.

Not to mention, while we have a rich history, we don't have 11 national titles like Michigan football does, and none in my lifetime like UM does.

Wojo will be just fine.
Yep. 

IMHO because of his "career assistant" resume and backer/pedigree he brings national media attention to the program, and as long as he shows improvement YOY for the first 5 years i'm convinced.  After that - there will be periods of regression and growth, hopefully Admin and Coach will be patient enough to work through them as there will be more growth than regression.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2016, 08:16:00 PM »

Wojo will be just fine.

Glad to hear it - didn't even know he'd been sick.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2016, 08:24:43 PM »
Glad to hear it - didn't even know he'd been sick.

Not sure. He could be I guess?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2016, 09:29:26 PM »
Oh hah, gotcha.  My bad.

Wojo will be just fine.

In the last 15 years, Marquette has been in the post season 12 times. Unfortunately, the past three were the droughts.  That task is less lofty than Harbaugh's.  The question is will it be this year or next?

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2016, 09:44:02 PM »
It was the play. Like every good inbound play, there are multiple options that can be run depending on the defense. Going to Luke wasn't the first option but it was the play that was run.

He said specifically in the post game show that the play was for Traci to take it all the way and Luke did a good job of seeing the floor and rolling to the basket. 

I'm not convinced MU was a lot better than last year.  They won a lot of close games, that they lost the season before.  Some think that's your team getting better, others say that it's luck.  MU lost 2 home games by 20+ points.  That hasn't happened in at least the last 16 years.  Our 2 freshman PGs were both turning it over at such a high rate, but there was no emphasis on slowing the tempo and limiting the amount of possessions. 

There's also a team in our conference who also got a new coach in 2014.  Some will say they have/ had less talent and they've been to the tournament 2 years in a row. These are my reasons for not being convinced.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2016, 10:18:17 PM »
Keefe, I live in Detroit and every MSU fan would quickly remind you that while you're correct that all of U of M's players are Brady Hoke's, they were all top 10 recruiting classes. Getting talent to Ann Arbor hasn't been the issue, the coaching was.

Wojo has had every little talent to work with thus far and what he's had has been young. I think this year is critical and that the tournament is very realistic. It's time Wojo to prove himself because this is the most talented team he's had

Swoop

I don't think we are that far apart. My point is that great coaching makes all the difference. And we both agree that this year is crucial in terms of illuminating where we are at under Wojo.

Clearly, Harbaugh inherited much better talent than Wojo. But this team belongs to Steve and it is time for progress to begin propagating. 

If we aren't dancing this March then I would submit we are not nearly as far along as we should be.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2016, 10:26:21 PM »
In the last 15 years, Marquette has been in the post season 12 times. Unfortunately, the past three were the droughts.  That task is less lofty than Harbaugh's.  The question is will it be this year or next?

And therein lies the difference. Harbaugh has U of M competing for a national championship in Year 2. (And, mark my words, the crown will be back in A2 during his tenure...)

All we are looking for Wojo to do is make us competitive (which is rather different than competing for the crown.)

Expecting Wojo to be coaching in the first Monday of April is not what we are asking for. Coaching into March would be a refreshing change.

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2016, 10:33:10 PM »
And therein lies the difference. Harbaugh has U of M competing for a national championship in Year 2. (And, mark my words, the crown will be back in A2 during his tenure...)

All we are looking for Wojo to do is make us competitive (which is rather different than competing for the crown.)

Expecting Wojo to be coaching in the first Monday of April is not what we are asking for. Coaching into March would be a refreshing change.

Much easier to compete for a national title in football than in basketball.

And again, MU basketball is not UM football.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2016, 01:17:41 AM »
If Xavier can be top 20 program no excuses for MU not to be.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2016, 09:24:42 AM »
If Xavier can be top 20 program no excuses for MU not to be.
+1

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2016, 11:04:12 AM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology
This is way to early prediction but things to not
Michigan as a 8 seed
SMU as a 11 seed
Dayton as a 8 seed
Vandy as a 11
Wisconsin as a 3

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2016, 11:21:15 AM »
Much easier to compete for a national title in football than in basketball.

And again, MU basketball is not UM football.

This Wojo-Harbaugh comparison is just plain nuts.

Before coming to Michigan, Harbaugh coached at Stanford for 4 years and spent 4 years as a head coach in the NFL. Wojo has about the best pedigree of any new Marquette coach in the past 25 years — but he's still a first-time head coach.

Harbaugh has former assistants who have been head coaches longer than Wojo.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2016, 11:25:42 AM »
I forgot to mention that Harbaugh went 4-8 and 5-7 in his first two seasons at Stanford, finishing no higher than 6th in the Pac-12. Clearly, the administration made the wrong choice. How did he not get fired?
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2016, 11:45:48 AM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology
This is way to early prediction but things to not
Michigan as a 8 seed
SMU as a 11 seed
Dayton as a 8 seed
Vandy as a 11
Wisconsin as a 3
Virginia Tech is an 8th seed.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2016, 11:46:05 AM »
I forgot to mention that Harbaugh went 4-8 and 5-7 in his first two seasons at Stanford, finishing no higher than 6th in the Pac-12. Clearly, the administration made the wrong choice. How did he not get fired?

CLASSIC MARCUS!!! Ruining the argument with facts like Harbaugh's subpar records early on. Just stop with the facts man! You're making the rest of us look bad!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2016, 11:52:44 AM »
This Wojo-Harbaugh comparison is just plain nuts.

Before coming to Michigan, Harbaugh coached at Stanford for 4 years and spent 4 years as a head coach in the NFL. Wojo has about the best pedigree of any new Marquette coach in the past 25 years — but he's still a first-time head coach.

Harbaugh has former assistants who have been head coaches longer than Wojo.

Harbaugh took over Hoke's team that had a losing season and turned it around immediately. I would say that demonstrates how a coach can make all the difference.

The point is valid. (Fr Davitt would agree.)

Death on call

feedback