[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How real is it that MU could make the tourny or even be ranked this year?  (Read 5919 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: How real is it that MU could make the tourny or even be ranked this year?
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2016, 01:54:17 PM »
Realistically we are an NIT team this year. I would be extremely elated with an NCAA bid, which I do think is possible. We would have to win the majority of close games to achieve this. Failure to get at least an NIT bid would be a problem for me.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2016, 04:33:30 PM »
Realistically we are an NIT team this year. I would be extremely elated with an NCAA bid, which I do think is possible. We would have to win the majority of close games to achieve this. Failure to get at least an NIT bid would be a problem for me.

Not sure how you can measure the team as "realistically" being an NIT team. What's your metric on that, how are you determining what is realistic? I mean other than internet opinion parading as "realistic"
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2016, 07:13:44 PM »
Not sure how you can measure the team as "realistically" being an NIT team. What's your metric on that, how are you determining what is realistic? I mean other than internet opinion parading as "realistic"
Based on where non MU people are ranking them. One of the predictions posted here had MU at 69th. Plus or minus 10 spots is still an NIT team. That is what I am basing it on. By the way I think we finished ranked at 109 last year, so a ranking of 69th is a significant improvement.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2016, 08:08:05 AM »
I think we are going to go 0-5 against the 5 tough non conference teams. We won't be blown out but will lose. My sense of the conference season is 7-11 at best. So 14-16 regular season. We simply don't have the coaching horsepower to consistently win at the level required for success.

So to answer the question. It is unrealistic to think we will make the tournament or be ranked.  It is possible of course if we win the BET.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2016, 08:13:01 AM »
I choose to believe you are wrong, but I am not certain you are wrong, and that saddens me.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2016, 09:51:17 AM »
I think we are going to go 0-5 against the 5 tough non conference teams. We won't be blown out but will lose. My sense of the conference season is 7-11 at best. So 14-16 regular season. We simply don't have the coaching horsepower to consistently win at the level required for success.

So to answer the question. It is unrealistic to think we will make the tournament or be ranked.  It is possible of course if we win the BET.
If we don't have the coaching horsepower to consistently win, we won't win BET.
Goal is National Championship

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2016, 11:00:49 AM »
If we don't have the coaching horsepower to consistently win, we won't win BET.
I do not necessarily agree with the coaching power statement. Wojo is not as bad as some posters think.
However, the Big East tournament is often won by the hot team. Wojo could be a bad coach, but we could still win the tournament if our shooters are hot just like Seton Hall did last year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2016, 12:08:10 PM »
I do think we will have momentum going into the BET. The second half of our schedule is very favorable.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2016, 12:24:24 PM »

If you're right (I don't think you are) Wojo is in trouble. If 2016-17 is a total bust, things won't get a whole lot better in 2017-18 without Luke, JJJ, Katin and maybe Duane. But if we turn the corner this year Wojo could be off to the races. I'll choose "B" and hope and pray to be right.

MUFan2007

• Walk-On
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2016, 03:23:09 PM »
If you're right (I don't think you are) Wojo is in trouble. If 2016-17 is a total bust, things won't get a whole lot better in 2017-18 without Luke, JJJ, Katin and maybe Duane. But if we turn the corner this year Wojo could be off to the races. I'll choose "B" and hope and pray to be right.

Perfectly stated.  Agree 100%

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2016, 03:29:37 PM »

In my opinion, those numbers are our floor this year (barring the i-word).
I think the athleticism, shooting, depth, strength, and game experience are all better this year than last.
Does rebounding and defense regress? Somewhere between possibly and probably.

Does "coaching" stagnate or regress? Guess it depends on how you want to define that.

In Wojo's first year, MU was outscored 668-590 in the 2nd half and OT of conference games (78 point differential).
Last year, MU was outscored 742-688 (54 point diff).

Some might call that progress, others might call it a bad metric. Either way I don't see coaching errors costing us a lot of games this year. Just my opinion.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2016, 03:31:26 PM »
Real.

Next question.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2016, 03:35:56 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback