collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by JTJ3
[Today at 06:20:57 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:43:38 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Broke Nigel Hayes  (Read 12451 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Broke Nigel Hayes
« on: October 15, 2016, 12:18:32 PM »
Poor Nigel Hayes was on Gameday with a sign saying, "Broke college athlete. Anything helps. Venmo: brokebadger1"

Your full scholarship, weekly stipend, free food, free clothes, free shoes, and free room and board are really throwing you into poverty there, Nigel.

The kid is such a clown he can't even spell his Venmo username correctly. "Brokebadger1" is someone named Taurean. "Brokebadger" is "Nigel H." So people are sending payments to both accounts but he's only getting some of the payments. So dumb he can't even get his own username right.

Can't wait until the NCAA comes sniffing around. They could kill 2 birds with 1 stone and look into Bo's financials and "extracurricular activities." Of course they won't look into either.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
Re: Broke Nigel Hayes
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 12:30:11 PM »
How would "Bo's financials and 'extracurricular activities'" be in violation of NCAA rules?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 12:38:13 PM »
How would "Bo's financials and 'extracurricular activities'" be in violation of NCAA rules?

Not sure. He heard the NCAA was "aware." I'm not in any way an expert on NCAA laws, just was told they knew about the situation. Not sure if that means there may have been something that would be illegal by NCAA rules going on or what.

I do know UW alums sending payments to a UW basketball player's Venmo account would be a big time NCAA violation.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 12:38:56 PM »
The kid is such a clown he can't even spell his Venmo username correctly. "Brokebadger1" is someone named Taurean. "Brokebadger" is "Nigel H." So people are sending payments to both accounts but he's only getting some of the payments. So dumb he can't even get his own username right.

BTW, apparently "Brokebadger1" is a friend of his from Dayton.  My guess is that the money is going there so nothing runs afoul of NCAA rules.  Or maybe Hayes doesn't need it but his friend does.

So I guess he's not quite as dumb as you think.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 12:48:58 PM »

BTW, apparently "Brokebadger1" is a friend of his from Dayton.  My guess is that the money is going there so nothing runs afoul of NCAA rules.  Or maybe Hayes doesn't need it but his friend does.

So I guess he's not quite as dumb as you think.

And "Brokebadger" is registered to "Nigel H" and payments are being sent to both accounts. So he's definitely dumb enough.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 12:56:36 PM »
Then again if his jumper wasn't so broke he might be getting paid a whole lot more right now so in that sense he's right.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 01:40:51 PM »
His account isn't collecting.

Wally Schroeder

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 02:06:24 PM »
Poor Nigel Hayes was on Gameday with a sign saying, "Broke college athlete. Anything helps. Venmo: brokebadger1"

Your full scholarship, weekly stipend, free food, free clothes, free shoes, and free room and board are really throwing you into poverty there, Nigel.

Can't wait until the NCAA comes sniffing around. They could kill 2 birds with 1 stone and look into Bo's financials and "extracurricular activities." Of course they won't look into either.

It's absurd that a guy who's part of a program that adds millions upon millions in value annually through ticket sales, merchandise sales, alumni relations,and TV agreements would want compensation beyond snacks and a degree! Before you know it, the coaches will want to get paid too!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 03:28:21 PM »

It's absurd that a guy who's part of a program that adds millions upon millions in value annually through ticket sales, merchandise sales, alumni relations,and TV agreements would want compensation beyond snacks and a degree! Before you know it, the coaches will want to get paid too!

Simple. Go play overseas. Or develop a jumper so you're actually good enough to get paid in this country.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 03:34:09 PM »
I dislike (loathe) the Badgers just as much as the next MU fan, but he does have a point. Can't believe I'm actually siding with Nigel Hayes on this one.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 03:34:59 PM »
I wonder if his signage will cause the ratings for Badger basketball games to drop.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 03:37:36 PM »
I dislike (loathe) the Badgers just as much as the next MU fan, but he does have a point. Can't believe I'm actually siding with Nigel Hayes on this one.

He kind of has a point.  He is minimizing the value of the college education IMO.  He also is not taking into account that his marginal value is minimal at best.  (If Nigel never got a scholarship, someone else would have and the overall impact on college basketball would have been minimal.)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 03:39:17 PM »
His account isn't collecting.

::)  If you insist.

Not sure why it's not letting me attach the images on here, but his account is definitely collecting payments.  I have 5 screenshots (and could do more) worth of scrolling through the payments he received within the last couple hours.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2016, 03:40:28 PM »
::)  If you insist.

Not sure why it's not letting me attach the images on here, but his account is definitely collecting payments.  I have 5 screenshots (and could do more) worth of scrolling through the payments he received within the last couple hours.

Just going by what Matt V. tweeted a couple hours ago.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2016, 03:44:10 PM »

Just going by what Matt V. tweeted a couple hours ago.

Fair enough.  Maybe the second "brokebadger" account with the name "Nigel H" isn't actually Nigel Hayes and saw an opportunity to potentially collect some payments from people he knew would pay an account with his name.  But if you have a Venmo you can go to "Search people" and type in the username "brokebadger" and click on his name.  It then shows the feed of all the activity on the account, and the account is certainly actively receiving payments.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2016, 03:44:33 PM »

He kind of has a point.  He is minimizing the value of the college education IMO.  He also is not taking into account that his marginal value is minimal at best.  (If Nigel never got a scholarship, someone else would have and the overall impact on college basketball would have been minimal.)

+1

The only reason that anyone cares about Hayes (or any college athlete for that matter) is that they play for the school that you like.  Their "value" is very, very minimal.  If Hayes wanted to get paid he could have played in the D-League this year, in front of dozens of adoring fans making pocket change.  When you add up all of the pieces (tuition, room, board, books, stipend, travel, athlete perks, etc.) plus the future value the education, degree, and exposure provides, these athletes are more than fairly compensated.

brandx

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2016, 03:55:30 PM »
+1

The only reason that anyone cares about Hayes (or any college athlete for that matter) is that they play for the school that you like.  Their "value" is very, very minimal.  If Hayes wanted to get paid he could have played in the D-League this year, in front of dozens of adoring fans making pocket change.  When you add up all of the pieces (tuition, room, board, books, stipend, travel, athlete perks, etc.) plus the future value the education, degree, and exposure provides, these athletes are more than fairly compensated.

I'm wondering if you would feel fairly compensated if your employer told you he was no longer going to pay you. From now on, only benefits, but no money.

Badgerhoney

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2016, 04:09:03 PM »
I am embarrassed by Nigel's actions. He doesn't understand the value he is receiving, or the opportunity to springboard to the NBA which the UW provides him.  Free of charge.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2016, 04:11:39 PM »
I'm wondering if you would feel fairly compensated if your employer told you he was no longer going to pay you. From now on, only benefits, but no money.

Well, a better analogy might be if my employer said that they would pay my mortgage, car payment, student loans, food, utilities, insurance, etc., and give me some spending money.  That's essentially the deal that these athletes are getting.

Secondly, an employer that did what you suggested would quickly lose most, it not all of their employees to competitors and cripple the company - that's the "value" of the employees.  If Nigel Hayes leaves Wisconsin (which he will after this season), the program doesn't miss a beat - fans will still come to the games, buy the jerseys, etc.  Hayes' "value" is minimal.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 04:13:41 PM by ChuckyChip »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2016, 04:17:17 PM »
Well, a better analogy might be if my employer said that they would pay my mortgage, car payment, student loans, food, utilities, insurance, etc., and give me some spending money.  That's essentially the deal that these athletes are getting.

Secondly, an employer that did what you suggested would quickly lose most, it not all of their employees to competitors and cripple the company - that's the "value" of the employees.  If Nigel Hayes leaves Wisconsin (which he will after this season), the program doesn't miss a beat - fans will still come to the games, buy the jerseys, etc.  Hayes' "value" is minimal.

Exactly.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2016, 04:37:15 PM »
And "Brokebadger" is registered to "Nigel H" and payments are being sent to both accounts. So he's definitely dumb enough.

People may be sending to both, but I am pretty sure Hayes is smart enough to know that he's asking for the money to be sent to someone else's account. I can understand people thinking Hayes is overly outspoken, occasionally obnoxious, or otherwise offensive, but he's definitely not stupid. I'd guess this is a deliberate attempt to get money into his friend's account, which he may very well split with him after the fact.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2016, 10:07:26 PM »
College athletes do it by choice.  If they think a free college education in exchange for playing is a bad deal, they can go play overseas.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 10:09:52 PM by GooooMarquette »

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2016, 11:46:39 PM »
People may be sending to both, but I am pretty sure Hayes is smart enough to know that he's asking for the money to be sent to someone else's account. I can understand people thinking Hayes is overly outspoken, occasionally obnoxious, or otherwise offensive, but he's definitely not stupid. I'd guess this is a deliberate attempt to get money into his friend's account, which he may very well split with him after the fact.

ESPN says any money received is going to Dane County Boys & Girls Club

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2016, 07:58:23 AM »
I hate the sanctity of the game argument but at the same time if you start making college bball a business (lower academic standards and paying players), what's the point? The basketball is actually pretty bad. I think fans like the 'grit' and other intangible parts of the game but 80% of d1 players aren't even good enough for the dleague, where they get paid 50k a year. Yeah the Tim tebows of the world get screwed now but are you trying to accomplish? If you change the system I see it collapsing and it will hurt marginal guys like Nigel who is getting exposure and a great education. If he had to go through a dleague or Europe no one would have heard of him.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2016, 08:31:53 AM »
Woah.   Did an athlete just do a nonviolent protest, to raise awareness to an issue that is important them, with goal to have millions of eyeballs on ESPN.com read about it?

No, he just must be another dumb jock and a clown.

feedback