collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Broke Nigel Hayes  (Read 12450 times)

RideMyBuycks

• All American
Re: Broke Nigel Hayes
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2016, 09:28:12 PM »
SwaggyDu sharing his opinion--

Duane Wilson ‏@SwaggyDu1
I got a son and I'm a student athlete yet I'll never complain or say I'm broke. Where I'm from it's a blessing to even get a free education.

Duane Wilson ‏@SwaggyDu1
It's a shame seeing people do these stunts for social media attention. That's really corny and sad. Our generation so unappreciative.

Duane Wilson ‏@SwaggyDu1
Don't say you're broke unless your account says $0.00... I know people that's really out here struggling for a meal yet a dollar.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2016, 09:33:26 PM »
Refreshing from Duane.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2016, 09:35:01 PM »

Duane Wilson ‏@SwaggyDu1
I got a son and I'm a student athlete yet I'll never complain or say I'm broke. Where I'm from it's a blessing to even get a free education.

Duane Wilson ‏@SwaggyDu1
It's a shame seeing people do these stunts for social media attention. That's really corny and sad. Our generation so unappreciative.

Duane Wilson ‏@SwaggyDu1
Don't say you're broke unless your account says $0.00... I know people that's really out here struggling for a meal yet a dollar.

Said by someone who knows a lot more about the work and its rewards than those of us here on Scoop.

Huge respect.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2016, 09:46:44 PM »

Duane Wilson ‏@SwaggyDu1

Duane Wilson ‏@SwaggyDu1

Duane Wilson ‏@SwaggyDu1

Awesome.  I've had my qualms with some of his decisions on the court.  He is now my favorite Warrior.  Someone who gets it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2016, 10:00:45 PM »
I think these guys should get more, but it's nice to see the gratitude from Duane. He's always been a solid kid, I sure hope he can break through a bit this year on the court.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2016, 09:17:22 AM »
Would walk-ons be paid more than scholarship athletes?

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2016, 10:06:57 AM »
I attempted to do a bit of looking into how much "college athletes should be paid".  I will admit the methodology I have used is not perfect, but it is what I could do that didn't take a ton of time and used very readily available information.

I used the following table of revenues and expenses posted by the NCAA for 2014-2015 for the public schools (they mention over 225).

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances

This link breaks down what they consider as revenues and expenses.  Note that revenues does include contributions to fund athletic programs.  I am sure that some of the accounting here can get a little fuzzy, especially around allocations for overhead and G&A, but take it for what its worth.

http://sports.usatoday.com/2016/04/14/methodology-for-ncaa-athletic-department-revenue-database/

Using that table, I found that for all the public schools across all sports, there is a net operating revenue of about $300 million.  I then divided that by 2 to get to an athlete's "share" of $150m if we want to do a 50/50 split (which IMO seems a bit much).

Using information from the following link, I estimated that there are about 65,800 scholarship athletes for Division I Public Schools.  (176,000 student-athletes multiplied by 56% receiving athletics aid multiplied by 231 public schools in the above table used divided by 346 schools noted in the link below)

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Recruiting%20Fact%20Sheet%20WEB.pdf

Dividing the $150m by the 65,800 scholarship athletes gets us to each athlete receiving $2,275/year in compensation. 

I used total athletes instead of the revenue-generating sports as other programs are subsidized by the revenue generating sports.  Additionally, there are some programs in traditional "non-revenue sports" (ie. lacrosse, hockey, etc.) for some schools that actually do turn a profit as opposed to other programs.  There was also no way (using the information I used, there may be something out there that I didn't incorporate) to segment each of the sports.  So in this instance, all sports share revenues and expenses when in turn both revenues and expenses will vary from sport to sport.  Additionally, some athletes (based on the sport they are in), receive better benefits than others.  Examples of this include training facilities, exposure, travel, etc and to the more extreme cases such as the Kentucky basketball dorms.

To build on this further, I think there is an argument that non-scholarship athletes deserve to be paid as well.  There are many examples of non-scholarship athletes performing at a high level across the NCAA (the most famous example being Doug McDermott), if we do not allow them to be paid, then how do we decide who gets paid what amounts (I think this goes back to the earlier conversation of starting QB vs 3rd string OL) and when is that decision made?  What if someone performs much, much better than expected during the year (ie., Frank Kaminsky his Junior Year), do they deserve to be paid more?  (flip side, disappointing seasons by individual athletes)

I know my quick analysis above is far from perfect, but I think it helps build a little context.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2016, 10:41:58 AM »
I've always thought it would be interesting to tell the players that they can choose...

A) Full scholarship: tuition, room and board, stipend, etc.

B) Fixed annual salary ($25k?) then pay your own way.

Obviously there are all kinds of flaws with the set-up (i.e. different tuition costs, etc) but it could be eye-opening for a lot of these athletes to realize just how valuable that free education actually is.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2016, 10:52:20 AM »
I've always thought it would be interesting to tell the players that they can choose...

Obviously there are all kinds of flaws with the set-up (i.e. different tuition costs, etc) but it could be eye-opening for a lot of these athletes to realize just how valuable that free education actually is.

Not just the free education and a lot of the other benefits that others have pointed out.  But the coaching and exposure is insanely valuable.

What platforms are other students given in front of potential employers to see their work directly?  I definitely didn't have that as an accounting student.  I could go get an internship with a firm that gave that firm and that firm only some insight into my skills and what I was capable of.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2016, 11:00:26 AM »

I can honestly see a situation in the not-so-distant future where athletes are deemed employees by the NLRB and/or the DOL.  If that happens, it will not be surprising to me at all if most schools pull their scholarships and put them on a wage that is far below what they've been getting all these years.  Athletes (and parents) across the country  would be very upset.  Be careful what you wish for.  If this ever happens, athletes with great academic records will be in high demand.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2016, 10:35:54 PM »
Not to get political, but on CNN's post-debate coverage at UNLV, some guy was holding up a sign that said something like "I'm a random college student - go fund me."