[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU picked for 7th in Big East  (Read 27552 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: MU picked for 7th in Big East
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2016, 05:02:15 PM »
And this is why I don't get how so many are automatically down on this team before the season starts. There is a potential they stink, but it is at least as likely if not more that this team will exceed expectations based on the significant improvement in experience.

I don't see why so many are automatically optimistic about this team. If we played the stock market on past performance we would all be rich. I'll be more than happy to see them prove me wrong on the court.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 05:05:19 PM by muwarrior69 »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2016, 05:07:17 PM »
And this is why I don't get how so many are automatically down on this team before the season starts. There is a potential they stink, but it is at least as likely if not more that this team will exceed expectations based on the significant improvement in experience.

Because pessimism is a no-lose proposition. If they are right, they get to moan about how they knew it all along, if they are wrong, they get to enjoy the wins regardless.

We have experience and talent, but we are still lacking some of the physicality and rebounding other teams in the league have. In addition, this team doesn't look anything like other Marquette teams of the past 15 years that had so much success. Based more on shooting and diverse scoring than the toughness and grit that characterized many of our previous teams.

I'm bullish, but I feel that way just about every October, so take it with a grain of salt.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2016, 05:35:24 PM »
I'm cautiously optimistic about this season. But this team has a lot of unknowns. Could finish in 7th again, could finish 4th.

Either way, I expect us to be within a game of the #5 spot in the conference standings. Chances of making the Big Dance: 50/50. If not, I'd say we're a good bet for the NIT.

Here's the counter-argument to an experienced roster: Buzz Williams' last year at Marquette. During the 2013-14 season, we had 4 seniors: Davante Gardner, Chris Otule, Jake Thomas and Jamil Wilson. And 3 juniors: Juan Anderson, Todd Mayo and Derrick Wilson. But even with all those upperclassmen — fresh off an Elite 8 season, no less — MU lost its last 4 games in stumbling to a 17-15 (9-9) finish and missed the postseason entirely. Ouch. That one still hurts.

Now I happen to think our current roster has more talent and depth than that 2013-14 team. But at the time, most thought we had plenty of talent to challenge for the league title. Guess that's why they actually play the games instead of just speculate.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2016, 07:34:10 PM »
Markus 2 FF
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2016, 08:33:41 PM »

Reinhardt: 2822 minutes
Rowsey: 2166 minutes
Wilson: 1838 minutes
Fischer: 1766 minutes
Johnson: 1613 minutes

[/quote]
I find this interesting. The two transfers have played significantly more minutes than our three most experienced players.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 08:35:28 PM by bilsu »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2016, 08:44:02 PM »
What I believe about this team is that we have a real possibility to win a game against the top 3 teams in the league. However, on the flip side I can still see us having another unexpected loss to DePaul. Losing at home to DePaul last years cost us a .500 finish in the Big East and an NIT bid. This team to be successful has to win every game against the teams predicted to finish behind us. Go 6-0 against the bottom 3 only requires us to go 4-8 against the teams predicted to finish above us to go 10-8.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2016, 10:17:18 PM »
I find this interesting. The two transfers have played significantly more minutes than our three most experienced players.

Same here. Fischer's not too hard to figure, since he barely saw the court during his freshman year at Indiana. But depending on how they adjust to the team and the Big East, Reinhardt and Rowsey could be real difference-makers this season.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2016, 10:23:03 PM »
Because pessimism is a no-lose proposition. If they are right, they get to moan about how they knew it all along, if they are wrong, they get to enjoy the wins regardless.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2016, 11:03:48 PM »
What I believe about this team is that we have a real possibility to win a game against the top 3 teams in the league. However, on the flip side I can still see us having another unexpected loss to DePaul. Losing at home to DePaul last years cost us a .500 finish in the Big East and an NIT bid. This team to be successful has to win every game against the teams predicted to finish behind us. Go 6-0 against the bottom 3 only requires us to go 4-8 against the teams predicted to finish above us to go 10-8.

I'm thinking about this in a very similar way.

Go 4-0 against the bottom 2 teams (Depaul and St. John's). Absolutely mandatory. Then get at least 1 win to go 1-5 against the top 3 teams (say Nova, Xavier and Seton Hall).

That would put us at 5-5, with 8 games to play against the rest: Butler, Creighton, Georgetown and Providence. Split them and we're 9-9 — on the bubble at best.

If we can find one more win somewhere to finish 10-8, I think we're in. (Assuming we hold our own during the non-conference slate and the Big East tournament).

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2016, 11:21:59 PM »
I'm thinking about this in a very similar way.

Go 4-0 against the bottom 2 teams (Depaul and St. John's). Absolutely mandatory. Then get at least 1 win to go 1-5 against the top 3 teams (say Nova, Xavier and Seton Hall).

That would put us at 5-5, with 8 games to play against the rest: Butler, Creighton, Georgetown and Providence. Split them and we're 9-9 — on the bubble at best.

If we can find one more win somewhere to finish 10-8, I think we're in. (Assuming we hold our own during the non-conference slate and the Big East tournament).

Make it 6-0 vs. the Bottom 3. I don't see Providence being any good. Possibly worse than St. John's.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2016, 12:22:09 AM »
Make it 6-0 vs. the Bottom 3. I don't see Providence being any good. Possibly worse than St. John's.

That would definitely help. We did sweep Providence last year.

burger

• All American
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2016, 07:05:36 AM »
I am also cautiously optimistic.....

Because of last years total collapse.....how could you not be.....

Worst defensive team in 40 years that I have been watching them......

Never saw a lack of confidence spread from Cohen to the rest of the team like last year.....

I think Rousey will be a stud.....Our version of Stephan Curry......The kid can flat out shoot.....and does not need much space and can get his own shot.....

This should help Duane out tremendously.....

Cheatum will do what he does on the offensive end......He can just not get lacadasical on the defensive end as he did last year.....

If Sam and Reinhardt can hold down the 4's.....and score 6 to 10 a game......we will sufficient at PF.....

The centers need to be RIM protectors.....Luke needs to score against favorable matchups.....and stay out of foul trouble....

There are a lot of 'ifs'.....But if those "ifs" turn positive.....we can be at least 10 and 8 in conference.....possibly 11-7 or in a perfect world 12-6......(blue cool-aide in large amounts there)

A lot of this is determined by defense.....Because we certainly have the offense to be an 80 point a game team.....

We shall see.....But hopeful......

PS.....WOJO needs to be a better in game coach also.....Third year learning curve.....So he should be.....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2016, 07:50:34 AM »
I think Rousey will be a stud.....Our version of Stephan Curry......The kid can flat out shoot.....

Be prepared to be disappointed.

His EFG% his last year at UNCA was .508.  There were SIX Marquette players who exceeded that last year:  Luke, JJJ, Haanif, Sandy, Sacar and Duane.

I'm not saying he's not a player by any means but the dude is nowhere near our version of Curry.  I'm hoping we get solid ball handling, decent scoring and serviceable defense out of the guy.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2016, 08:47:19 AM »

His EFG% his last year at UNCA was .508.  There were SIX Marquette players who exceeded that last year:  Luke, JJJ, Haanif, Sandy, Sacar and Duane.

I'm not saying he's not a player by any means but the dude is nowhere near our version of Curry.  I'm hoping we get solid ball handling, decent scoring and serviceable defense out of the guy.

I'm not going to pick on our 89 post friend who might have been typing on his phone.  I will say that from what I've seen Rowsey can ball.  He's got great court vision, outstanding form on his jumper, good hands and does a good job staying in front of his man on D.  He'll be limited against guys much taller that he might be asked to guard on ballpoint.  He'll see significant minutes (20+) this year in my estimation and be a huge threat from the perimeter opening things for Cheatham and JjJ. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2016, 09:11:39 AM »
I don't see why so many are automatically optimistic about this team. If we played the stock market on past performance we would all be rich. I'll be more than happy to see them prove me wrong on the court.

I saw Michael Lewis (the writer of Moneyball) speak a couple of nights ago, and he had a great quote from one of the psychologists that inspired the whole "Moneyball" philosophy (and I am paraphrasing here because I don't remember the quote word-for-word):

"I don't see the point in being a pessimist.  Pessimists suffer twice: once while thinking about the bad thing that might happen, and again when it actually happens."
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 09:41:49 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2016, 09:47:50 AM »
I saw Michael Lewis (the writer of Moneyball) speak a couple of nights ago, and he had a great quote from one of the psychologistd that inspired the whole "Moneyball" philosophy (and I am paraphrasing here because I don't remember the quote word-for-word):

"I don't see the point in being a pessimist.  Pessimists suffer twice: once while thinking about the bad thing that might happen, and again when it actually happens."

“The man who is a pessimist before 48 knows too much; if he is an optimist after it he knows too little.”
― Mark Twain

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2016, 09:50:13 AM »
“The man who is a pessimist before 48 knows too much; if he is an optimist after it he knows too little.”
― Mark Twain

The optimist views the glass as half full

The pessimist views the glass as half empty

I view the glass as having just the right amount of space for my alcohol.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2016, 09:52:37 AM »
― Mark Twain

To each his own.  Personally, I think worrying about something that might not happen and is completely out of your control is pointless.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2016, 09:53:44 AM »
The optimist views the glass as half full

The pessimist views the glass as half empty

I view the glass as having just the right amount of space for my alcohol.

Those who think of the glass as half empty have forgotten that the glass is refillable.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2016, 09:53:50 AM »
Same here. Fischer's not too hard to figure, since he barely saw the court during his freshman year at Indiana. But depending on how they adjust to the team and the Big East, Reinhardt and Rowsey could be real difference-makers this season.

Fischer lost a year of eligibility by transferring at semester break.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2016, 09:56:23 AM »

To each his own.  Personally, I think worrying about something that might not happen and is completely out of your control is pointless.

What? Me worry. It's only a game.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2016, 10:04:47 AM »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2016, 12:50:22 PM »

Agree in theory, word to try to live by. However, if the surgeon says it's 50/50 before he puts you under I think normal folks would give some thought (and a bit of worry) to the something that might not happen

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2016, 02:15:04 PM »
Fischer lost a year of eligibility by transferring at semester break.

Plus he was injured that first semester at IU and could not play 2nd semester frosh year after transferring to MU. Pretty much nothing at all to infer from that year.

burger

• All American
« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2016, 07:39:49 AM »

They have a drill where they have to make ten 3 pointers from each of the 5 spots that are in a 3 point contest.....Rousey took only 55 shots to make the prescribed 50......

I know that is unguarded.....But that shows a "stroke".....

Anything over 50%in a game is over 66% from 2.....That will win most games......and you "have" to pay special attention to that if you are the opposing coach/team.....That should free up a lot of other players that have other specific abilities.....

feedback