Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Your favorite MU story to never see the light of day  (Read 17109 times)

DienerTime34

• All American
Your favorite MU story to never see the light of day
« on: October 05, 2016, 02:27:09 PM »
Trying to kill the last 48 hours before we have real Marquette basketball to talk about.

What's your favorite Marquette story that never got picked up or confirmed through any "official" sources?

My all-time favorite is Diener punching the tackling dummy. Still enjoy any tackling dummy references I see here.

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Your favorite MU story to never see the light of day
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 02:36:10 PM »
Glow blocking a shot by Doc Rivers while playing pickup ball in the Rec Center with Marc Marotta and him.
Have some patience, FFS.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 02:42:22 PM »
Anything with Fr. Naus, honestly.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 02:55:39 PM »
Trying to kill the last 48 hours before we have real Marquette basketball to talk about.

What's your favorite Marquette story that never got picked up or confirmed through any "official" sources?

My all-time favorite is Diener punching the tackling dummy. Still enjoy any tackling dummy references I see here.

Haven't heard that one.  Wouldn't surprise me.  Fiery competitor.

I saw a picture of Marquette Madness of Wade in (what I would guess was) the dunk contest wearing a #25 jersey, I believe going into his redshirt year (the caption said "Marquette fans were introduced to Dwyane Wade at Marquette Madness in 2000, and I think 00-01 was his redshirt year, with 01-02 his first year playing).  Was anyone there that night?  I've heard stories of there being whispers during his redshirt year that he was the best player on the team by far then, but was it evident that night?

Heck, I went to some of the Midnight Madnesses at the Cell (where the picture was taken), so I may have been there and just don't remember it.  I would've been 11 then and probably wouldn't have realized who Dwyane Wade was/how good he was until at least a year and a few months later. 
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 03:02:13 PM »
I've heard stories of there being whispers during his redshirt year that he was the best player on the team by far then

Every year there are whispers of the redshirt being the best player on the team.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 03:10:25 PM »

I saw a picture of Marquette Madness of Wade in (what I would guess was) the dunk contest wearing a #25 jersey, I believe going into his redshirt year (the caption said "Marquette fans were introduced to Dwyane Wade at Marquette Madness in 2000, and I think 00-01 was his redshirt year, with 01-02 his first year playing).  Was anyone there that night?  I've heard stories of there being whispers during his redshirt year that he was the best player on the team by far then, but was it evident that night?

Heck, I went to some of the Midnight Madnesses at the Cell (where the picture was taken), so I may have been there and just don't remember it.  I would've been 11 then and probably wouldn't have realized who Dwyane Wade was/how good he was until at least a year and a few months later.

I was at Madness in 2000 and can tell you without a doubt, I was sh!tf@ced drunk!  Hope this helps.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 03:11:08 PM »
Every year there are whispers of the redshirt being the best player on the team.

FACT: Redshirting improves a player's ability by at least ten fold.

Case in point, Dwyane Wade was hailed as "the next Bart Miller" prior to redshirting.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 03:16:50 PM »

I was at that Madness for sure and I went to it right after the Navy Ball so I was hammered and have no recollection of Wade having a #25 on....or any clothes at all, it's all a blur really.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 03:40:17 PM »

With Wade however, the whispers were coming from the Bucks players after they played pickup with Marquette players.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 03:41:10 PM »
He was definitely #25 his freshman year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 04:00:10 PM »
Any Mike Deane story.

Manger flushes.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 04:12:48 PM »
My favorite that I personally witnessed was Dwyane Wade asking if Olouma Nnamaka's parents drove all the way from Sweden to see him play on senior night.

I think the statute of limitations has expired to let that one out of the bag :)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 04:32:47 PM »
I've heard stories of there being whispers during his redshirt year that he was the best player on the team by far then.
Only after his triple double in the closed door scrimmage.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 04:54:45 PM »
I think our freshman team '69-'70 beat our varsity team in the annual freshman vs. varsity game. Jim Chones was on the frosh team that year.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 05:21:53 PM »
nm
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 05:24:55 PM by Knight Commission »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 06:25:08 PM »
Manger flushes.

The Nazareth's had modern plumbing?  Truly a miracle.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 08:02:32 PM »
Any Mike Deane story.

Manger flushes.

Wally Szczerbiak's dad was a college teammate of Mike Deane. He wanted Wally to play for him. Deane took John Polonowski instead........

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 08:39:47 PM »
  • Slimmest Sweater Vester
  • More Beer per Possession than any Lower Boweler
  • Free Throws Matter:  One shot per FTM
  • Dunked over Sam the Sham

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 09:28:00 PM »
Sugar and #20 were on my bowlin' team while classmates in Individual and Dual Sports class, hey?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 04:00:23 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 11:48:07 PM »
Wally Szczerbiak's dad was a college teammate of Mike Deane. He wanted Wally to play for him. Deane took John Polonowski instead........

Wally's dad played at GW and was in the ABA before Deane even got to SUNY-Potsdamn...

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 12:39:25 AM »
My favorite that I personally witnessed was Dwyane Wade asking if Olouma Nnamaka's parents drove all the way from Sweden to see him play on senior night.

I think the statute of limitations has expired to let that one out of the bag :)

I know the story is real but I've heard it was someone else who asked that. It was in the locker room before the finale against DePaul. Were you a manager?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 05:06:06 AM »
Matt Mortensen using steroids and Ryan Amoroso spending his nights at the Potawatomi poker room.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 05:25:54 AM »

I heard it was diener confusing the wall for the tan man over a friendly discussion about whether lite beer tastes great or is less filling
don't...don't don't don't don't

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2016, 07:40:04 AM »
I know the story is real but I've heard it was someone else who asked that. It was in the locker room before the finale against DePaul. Were you a manager?

Nope, it happened in an elevator in Humprey with me, my two roommates, Dwyane, Olouma, and Jon Harris in the elevator.....I thought Jon Harris was going to die he was laughing so hard.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2016, 07:47:43 AM »
One other story I forgot about until talking to a buddy last night

Freshmen year (99) we were at a party in someone's packed dank basement off campus. Typical $5 gets you a cup and access to a barrel or two of Ice House. Anyway, half the basketball team shows up including Brian Wardle. We're fanboying out a little bit between we knew who they were but apparently most of the party didn't, sad times for the program.

So me and my friends are kind of moving our conversation close to the team so we can maybe meet them (we were idiots and should have just said hi). As we're standing there, we're close enough to hear Wardle trying to talk to this admittedly very attractive girl and over hear the tail end of the conversation:

"No, but do you know who I am? {awkward silence} I'M BRIAN WARDLE"

It was in that moment we all realized we had as much game with attractive members of the opposite gender as future number 3 all-time leading score for Marquette.

Good times.