Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Your favorite MU story to never see the light of day  (Read 17110 times)

MU62

• Starter
Re: Your favorite MU story to never see the light of day
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2016, 07:57:54 AM »
I think our freshman team '69-'70 beat our varsity team in the annual freshman vs. varsity game. Jim Chones was on the frosh team that year.
i remember that team and earlier Freshman teams playing games before the varsity.  There were some great games for that 69-70 freshmen including Illinois with two outstanding players.  We won.  A lot of folks would come early for those games.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2016, 08:01:41 AM »
Watching a freshman bb player needing to be shown how to change batteries in his Walkman.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

leever

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2016, 09:05:59 AM »
Sugar and #20 were on my bowlin' team while classmates in Individual and Duel Sports class, hey?

Was anyone hurt in the "duel sports" class?  That would be a story.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2016, 09:35:15 AM »
i remember that team and earlier Freshman teams playing games before the varsity.  There were some great games for that 69-70 freshmen including Illinois with two outstanding players.  We won.  A lot of folks would come early for those games.

One of the most entertaining Marquette game I've ever witnessed was our freshmen vs Notre Dame (preceding the varsity game) in the 67-68 season. Dean the Dream Meminger had close to 50 as MU edged the Irish (Austin Carr, Sid Catlett, Collis Jones). Final was something like 96-94.

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2016, 09:44:45 AM »
- Witnessing Steve Novak getting a much higher score on his philosophy test than yours truly.
- Seeing Merritt and Diener walking around with dual-gallon jugs of water.
- Todd Townsend wandering the halls of the nursing building.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2016, 09:51:11 AM »
Wally's dad played at GW and was in the ABA before Deane even got to SUNY-Potsdamn...

Spoken like a true Redhawk!

Death on call

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2016, 09:55:17 AM »
- Todd Townsend wandering the halls of the nursing building.

Any Todd related stories I know are not for public consumption, but lets just say your story surprises me in no way  ;D
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2016, 09:58:21 AM »
The entire Hoops Team kitted out in Seal Skin jackets in the aftermath of winning the Ship.

My favorites were the ankle length pimp jackets sported Whitehead and Toone. Absolutely stunning. Go big or go home, man.

Death on call

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2016, 09:59:17 AM »
I once heard that Diener dropped acting for non-theater majors.

Most of the team was at Murphy's in 2007/2008-ish and Mo Acker was rocking two cell phones.  I asked him why and he responded, "One for business, one for pleasure."

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2016, 10:07:33 AM »

My favorites were the ankle length pimp jackets sported Whitehead and Toone. Absolutely stunning. Go big or go home, man.
I enjoyed Butch's hats. Always fashion forward.

Once,...We were playing Butch in foosball doubles in the Union...I could tell when he decided to get serious in the match...he took off the hat. lol
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2016, 10:08:29 AM »
1. Glenn Rivers was in my team sports class taught by Charlie Nader (then the golf coach). Although Rivers had a 40-inch vertical and was obviously an amazing athlete, he was HORRIBLE at volleyball. He also sucked at soccer, but that didn't surprise me as much.

And like the rest of us, he cheated on the midterm exam. Nader left the room while we took the test, and we all collaborated on the answers. Literally, shouted them out. A few of our classmates even took out the textbook to make sure we got the answers right. I rationalized the cheating with my belief that it was a stupid test filled with irrelevant questions. I mean, who gives a rat's rump what year volleyball was invented?

2. As I'm walking up Wisconsin Ave, Sam Worthen and Artie Green are approaching. Across the street, Larry Hatchett is going the other direction. Hatchett stops and yells, "Aren't you guys going to class?" And Artie answers: "Man, I ain't into that education $hit!" He and Worthen laugh their arses off. I laughed, too, because I wasn't really into that education $hit, either! (Although, unlike Sam and Artie, I was into it enough to get my degree.)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2016, 10:38:57 AM »
2. As I'm walking up Wisconsin Ave, Sam Worthen and Artie Green are approaching. Across the street, Larry Hatchett is going the other direction. Hatchett stops and yells, "Aren't you guys going to class?" And Artie answers: "Man, I ain't into that education $hit!" He and Worthen laugh their arses off. I laughed, too, because I wasn't really into that education $hit, either! (Although, unlike Sam and Artie, I was into it enough to get my degree.)

See the "we ain't here to practice college" has been around for decades.....just never had twitter to reveal it to people.  :P
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Slim

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2016, 10:50:25 AM »
The entire Hoops Team kitted out in Seal Skin jackets in the aftermath of winning the Ship.

I remember Toone in that jacket! He was wearing 3 inch heels and a "Huggy Bear" 4 inch hat. Seemed like he was nearly 8 ft. tall! Them joints so tough!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2016, 10:57:19 AM »
Buycks sat next to me in world history he came in one day and sits down and goes "we got a quiz today?" ... It was the midterm. Poor guy cheated off me and unbenounced to him I was still drunk from my night before.

Also shotgunned a beer with Jimmy Butler because I had two in my pockets going back to O'Donnell after a night out and didn't want TAMU to write me up again. It was the second week of school and I had no idea who he was till my friends told me.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 10:58:54 AM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2016, 11:03:43 AM »
1. Glenn Rivers was in my team sports class taught by Charlie Nader (then the golf coach). Although Rivers had a 40-inch vertical and was obviously an amazing athlete, he was HORRIBLE at volleyball. He also sucked at soccer, but that didn't surprise me as much.

And like the rest of us, he cheated on the midterm exam. Nader left the room while we took the test, and we all collaborated on the answers. Literally, shouted them out. A few of our classmates even took out the textbook to make sure we got the answers right. I rationalized the cheating with my belief that it was a stupid test filled with irrelevant questions. I mean, who gives a rat's rump what year volleyball was invented?

I can absolutely believe that 100%.  Sam is/was a very nice guy but let's just say academics wasn't a priority.  Larry on the other hand was a very serious student and also a super nice guy.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2016, 11:06:51 AM »
Buycks sat next to me in world history he came in one day and sits down and goes "we got a quiz today?" ... It was the midterm. Poor guy cheated off me and unbenounced to him I was still drunk from my night before.

Also shotgunned a beer with Jimmy Butler because I had two in my pockets going back to O'Donnell after a night out and didn't want TAMU to write me up again. It was the second week of school and I had no idea who he was till my friends told me.

Again I'm sorry. If you didn't make it so damn obvious I could of turned a blind eye, lol
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2016, 11:26:30 AM »
I can absolutely believe that 100%.  Sam is/was a very nice guy but let's just say academics wasn't a priority.  Larry on the other hand was a very serious student and also a super nice guy.
Larry was on my floor freshman year - 11 McCormick - really nice guy. Unfortunately he got Frozena-like minutes of playing time. And yes, a good student. He went to medical school and became a urologist. I gotta believe it is a marketing challenge to attract patients to a urologist named Hatchett!

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2016, 12:21:00 PM »

...And Artie answers: "Man, I ain't into that education $hit!" He and Worthen laugh their arses off. I laughed, too, because I wasn't really into that education $hit, either! (Although, unlike Sam and Artie, I was into it enough to get my degree.)

Sam and Artie were both in my Speech class and they did usually show up for class.  Sam was a natural in the class and could rattle off very entertaining speeches--I have no idea if he ever prepared anything or if he just winged it but they were always good, and he'd always have the whole room laughing.  Artie on the other hand, struggled.  The teacher actually allowed him to bring a (Time?) magazine up to the podium and he read an article out of it in front of the class for one of his speeches.  It was so painful to watch because of his low grade school reading level.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2016, 12:28:41 PM »
Again I'm sorry. If you didn't make it so damn obvious I could of turned a blind eye, lol

Me? Obvious? Never!  ;D
Maigh Eo for Sam

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2016, 12:49:47 PM »
Two of my college buddies beat Diener and Wardle in Pop-a-Shot at Murphy's.  It was 2003; I think Wardle was a graduate assistant.

Another friend made a mock EA Sports College Basketball cover featuring David Diggs, drafted a fake press release, and posted it on Dodds' Rivals site.  Some people actually thought it was legit.  I would have thought the racial epithet in the title was a dead giveaway.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2016, 01:01:32 PM »
Keefe

Best part of the pimp coats was they were gifts from my family!!!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2016, 01:03:28 PM »

Hmmmm...a 6'7"...ahem...non-traditional...guy at Marquette.  Surely you had some idea who he was.  Or maybe Marquette had changed a lot since I was there.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2016, 01:17:23 PM »
Two of my college buddies beat Diener and Wardle in Pop-a-Shot at Murphy's.  It was 2003; I think Wardle was a graduate assistant.

Another friend made a mock EA Sports College Basketball cover featuring David Diggs, drafted a fake press release, and posted it on Dodds' Rivals site.  Some people actually thought it was legit.  I would have thought the racial epithet in the title was a dead giveaway.

My roommates and I use to play Pop-a-Shot for hours at Murph's on Thursday's when it was $2.50 Long Islands.

One safe Townsend story, I knew* him through a friend of mine. One night I was out with some friends including the mutual acquaintance at Caff's. Todd shows up at some point and wanders over to say hi to my friend while I'm talking to her. So we are all chatting for a minute and my friend heads to the bathroom so it's just him and me. I needed another beer, so I offered to get us drinks....his response was amazing.

"Naw, I don't need to get drinks from dudes." He then walks over to a group of girls he's never met, talks to them for about a minute, one of them buys him a drink and then he comes back over says "Court isn't the only place I've got game" and he walked out to the patio area leaving me to puzzle out what just happened.

*meaning he once remembered my name.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2016, 01:24:04 PM »
I tucked a very, very drunk Joe Nethen into bed one night.

I worked with Trevor Powell's girlfriend.  She was getting booty calls constantly.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2016, 01:26:16 PM »
Hmmmm...a 6'7"...ahem...non-traditional...guy at Marquette.  Surely you had some idea who he was.  Or maybe Marquette had changed a lot since I was there.

Haha two weeks into my freshman year I was still going off of what my HS was like with lots of "6'7"...ahem...non-traditional...guys" took a bit for me to notice things
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback