collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Football Ratings Are Down  (Read 103918 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Football Ratings Are Down
« on: September 14, 2016, 09:43:48 AM »
Too bad Chicos is banned.  Would love to argue with him again about how the networks grotesquely overpaid for the for the NFL, which has peaked in popularity (I'm sticking with my long-held idea that is 10 to 15 years the NFL falls to even with the NBA and/or MLB in TV ratings.)

Their is a reason that Disney is the worst performing Dow Jones stock this year, -12% YTD (-24% from its peak in August 2015).  What is killing Disney is ESPN.  ESPN has way overpaid for broadcasting rights and in trouble.  So much  so that ESPN is dragging the entire Disney empire down.  ESPN is destine to have a serious bloodletting soon.

NFL's 'Monday Night Football' Takes A Sack In The Ratings
http://www.forbes.com/sites/brandonkatz/2016/09/13/nfls-monday-night-football-takes-a-sack-in-the-ratings/#c35846c8964b

If the NFL was hoping that Monday Night Football would put an end to their Week 1 ratings slump, they’re going to be quite disappointed.

For any number of reasons – national anthem protests, blow out games, competition from other networks – ESPN's  doubleheader on Monday night failed to drum up as much interest as years past. The Pittsburgh Steelers dominated the Washington Redskins in a 38-16 rout while the Los Angeles Rams, making the NFL’s first appearance in the L.A. market in 20 years, got trounced by the San Francisco 49ers 28-0.

Should NFL Sweat Lower Ratings For Season Debut And 'Sunday Night Football'?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/brandonkatz/2016/09/12/tv-ratings-should-nfl-sweat-lower-ratings-for-season-debut-and-sunday-night-football/#48d6c1e76ae8

It’s common knowledge within the TV world that NFL football will always dominate whatever time slot it’s in. It’s the main reason why so many fall TV shows dread Sunday nights; they need to produce a product worthy of eating into the NFL’s mammoth audience. However, the smallest of cracks may be becoming visible in the NFL’s armor.

Last week’s Thursday night (Sept. 8) NFL opener and Super Bowl rematch between the Denver Broncos and Carolina Panthers drew in 25.2 million viewers, the fourth consecutive year the NFL has surpassed 25 million viewers on opening day (for comparison, The Walking Dead averages around 14 million live viewers as TV’s most-watched show). However, that total marks an 8% ratings decline compared to 2015 and a 6% drop from 2014. The lower numbers are a bit of a surprise given that Denver’s 21-20 victory over the Panthers was actually more entertaining than their lopsided Super Bowl matchup. However, the retirement of Peyton Manning this offseason may have lost some of the league’s more casual fans.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 10:13:14 AM by Jesse Livermore »

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
Re: Football Ratings Are Down
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 10:03:42 AM »
The NFL has traditionally has higher ratings than other sports for one reason and one reason only: Gambling.

It's the best sport to gamble on

I know I wouldn't watch it if I didn't have friendly monetary interests in it. I know many other people that feel the same way.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 10:56:58 AM »
I have watched one quarter of one game, pro and college, so far this season.    I will likely keep up at this pace.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 01:12:31 PM »
I have watched one quarter of one game, pro and college, so far this season.    I will likely keep up at this pace.

I'm right there with you.  Fortunately, my limited viewing was the last few minutes and OTs of Texas' win over ND.  And I only kept watching because it looked like ND might go down....

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 07:20:30 PM »
I watched the Steelers-Redskins match and then proceeded to turn off the Rams-49ers solely due to the fact that the broadcasting team was Berman and Young.  Berman needs to stick to only doing highlights and Young is one of the most idiotic people I know in all of television.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 08:48:13 PM »
The NFL has traditionally has higher ratings than other sports for one reason and one reason only: Gambling.

It's the best sport to gamble on

I know I wouldn't watch it if I didn't have friendly monetary interests in it. I know many other people that feel the same way.

Use anecdotal data much?

I don't gamble on football, and I know many other people who are the same way.  I guess we cancel each other out.
Have some patience, FFS.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 11:57:21 PM »

If it wasn't for the Packers and Fantasy Football (this is how old friends and I stay in touch), I'd be right there with you.

I did commit to watching some college football, but gave it up.  The play is so subpar that it really isn't worth watching (in my opinion).

TilTuesday

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 04:10:26 AM »
NFL Ratings were up in 2015 almost across the board

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2016/01/10/media-circus-nfl-playoff-ratings-espn-nbc-cbs

Ratings this year, one game, but look at those boycotting the NFL games due to the national anthem protests.  A number of NFL fans are not taking kindly to it and it is already showing. 

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2016/09/09/boycott-nfl-sweeps-internet-ungrateful-players-can-sit-anthem-fans-can-sit-games-388603

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 05:48:30 AM »
I watched the most NBA I have in the last 5-6-7 years.  Why?  I had to turn off politics for a while and that left a huge void. And, the golden stat Warriors were fun to watch. One of the best finals in a long time or in my mind anyway as I hadn't been paying that much attention.  The Lebron, steph, green,  Adams, delvecchio, drama was intriguing.  Now the NFL is allowing politics in to it and I could see,it turning off many people as they come to watch to get away from that b.s.  The hardcore fans will stay, but remains to be seen how long the casual fans and politics hangs around.  I suppose as soon as the ratings start tanking, the politics will go buh-bye
don't...don't don't don't don't

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 07:37:59 AM »
Duz anyone watch da Brew Crew? Get up, get up, get outta here, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 07:48:42 AM »
If it wasn't for the Packers and Fantasy Football (this is how old friends and I stay in touch), I'd be right there with you.

This is my situation as well.  Fantasy football keeps it interesting because I have players in nearly every game that is played.  The actual outcomes of the games don't interest me that much, but my good friends and I have a group message that is very active throughout Sunday and Monday with trash talking, laughs, trades, etc. that keep it fun. 

I guess it is also a form of gambling because I have a couple hundred dollars invested into fantasy football and there are chances for payouts weekly and at the end of the season depending on how you do.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 10:49:54 AM »
I love football in the fall.  I watch college on Saturday.  NFL on Sunday.  I love it.  And I wouldn't read too much into one week of ratings.

HOWEVER, I have been saying that the NFL has been making a series of decisions that have not been in their long-term best interests.  None of which individually are damning, but can be viewed as a series of "nicks" that can just turn people off over time.

**Domestic violence
**Player safety
**Team nickname
**Players and the National Anthem
**Deflategate

One thing that made Pete Rozelle the best commissioner of any sport ever (closely followed by David Stern) is that he got the owners to sacrifice short-term financial gain for the sake of the long-term.  And it paid off handsomely.  Goodell, and this crop of owners, seem to be doing the opposite - and seem rest assured that the NFL will always be beloved.

And it may be.  But not paying attention to issues that make you look bad is usually not a good, long-term strategy.

brandx

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 11:36:35 AM »

Ratings this year, one game, but look at those boycotting the NFL games due to the national anthem protests.  A number of NFL fans are not taking kindly to it and it is already showing. 

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2016/09/09/boycott-nfl-sweeps-internet-ungrateful-players-can-sit-anthem-fans-can-sit-games-388603

Inconsequential.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 11:46:38 AM »
I love football in the fall.  I watch college on Saturday.  NFL on Sunday.  I love it.  And I wouldn't read too much into one week of ratings.

HOWEVER, I have been saying that the NFL has been making a series of decisions that have not been in their long-term best interests.  None of which individually are damning, but can be viewed as a series of "nicks" that can just turn people off over time.

**Domestic violence
**Player safety
**Team nickname
**Deflategate

One thing that made Pete Rozelle the best commissioner of any sport ever (closely followed by David Stern) is that he got the owners to sacrifice short-term financial gain for the sake of the long-term.  And it paid off handsomely.  Goodell, and this crop of owners, seem to be doing the opposite - and seem rest assured that the NFL will always be beloved.

And it may be.  But not paying attention to issues that make you look bad is usually not a good, long-term strategy.

I agree with every single word.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 12:29:37 PM »
I too agree with Sultan.  Nick here, nick there.

Also, haven't they somewhat oversold their product?  I didn't watch a nano second of MNF in part because the matchups were awful.  Beyond my local teams (NFC North) and maybe the biggie national game (let's say last Thursday's SB rematch), aren't we dipping down too deep?  Sorry, just not going to watch some second tier game.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 12:34:28 PM »
I too agree with Sultan.  Nick here, nick there.

Also, haven't they somewhat oversold their product?  I didn't watch a nano second of MNF in part because the matchups were awful.  Beyond my local teams (NFC North) and maybe the biggie national game (let's say last Thursday's SB rematch), aren't we dipping down too deep?  Sorry, just not going to watch some second tier game.

Oh thanks for reminding me of that.  I was going to mention Thursday Night Football.  Many of those games have been simply bad football...bad product. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 12:52:43 PM »

Oh thanks for reminding me of that.  I was going to mention Thursday Night Football.  Many of those games have been simply bad football...bad product.

I'm a huge football fan, both college and NFL but, I'll be honest, I have a tendency to forget that there's an NFL game on Thursday nights. I obviously know that there are games on Sundays and on Monday nights, but Thursday nights still hasn't become wired into my memory.

I may be an outlier or it could be because I don't play fantasy football, but I'm still not used to tuning in to an NFL game on Thursdays.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 12:56:06 PM »
There is actually a pretty decent college game on tonight:  Houston at Cincinnati

That might be a better option than the Jets and Bills.

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 01:04:03 PM »
Remember when a non-Sunday NFL game was a big deal? MNF or a Thursday Night Special was exiting. Now with football on almost every day the excitement is lost.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 04:46:24 PM »
Remember when a non-Sunday NFL game was a big deal? MNF or a Thursday Night Special was exiting. Now with football on almost every day the excitement is lost.

Yep.  Over-saturation of the product, among other things, is starting to hurt ratings.  It used to be: watch my team, maybe the double header game if that's good, then Monday night game was must watch every week. 

Now if my team plays Thursday or Monday, then Sunday is family day, yard work, etc.  Thursday and Monday games are almost irrelevant if my team isn't playing.  And I watch less and less of my team every year.

Fantasy Football is also now a full time job, so I stopped playing.  When I played Fantasy Football, it was basically Saturday through Tuesday and take 3 days off.  Now there's no break.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 05:12:21 PM »
I've never done fantasy and have zero interest.  I'm not sure I'm like other guys but my interest in NFL football is exactly twofold.  What is my team (Packers) doing and how does every other game impact my team?  As an example, as much as I dislike the Patriots, I was cheering for them to beat the Cardinals because it's just a bit more likely now that the NFC Playoffs will go through Lambeau Field.  I suppose I do have a second favorite team (Bears) but that fondness will go away if they ever threaten the Packers dominance.  I can appreciate a good match-up and do enjoy a good game but there is a limit. 

So Jets/Bills?  Who cares.  Chick can watch DWTS or AGT tonight on the good TV if she wants.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 07:38:21 PM »

**Domestic violence
**Player safety
**Team nickname
**Deflategate

+++ a bunch.  I know, after you pick yourself off the floor cuz this ain't in teal, but that was a fantastic comment!!  Sounds like you were using your inner CHICOS
don't...don't don't don't don't

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2016, 08:45:14 PM »
I think this is a good article and I think also reflects what Sultans saying about sacrificing the long term for the short term

https://theringer.com/the-nfl-has-an-age-problem-7068825845e4#.k71s7ib03
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2016, 09:29:46 PM »
To be fair, this Jets / Bills game is pretty entertaining.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2016, 09:43:52 PM »
With the record breaking audience and ratings from last year, it's going to be hard to maintain that pace yearly.   It feels like its audience is closed to max out, as ff is at its peak.    You could make changes like eliminating kickoffs and going more pc to appeal to women and beta males but then you'd lose some of the men.   Interesting to see where the game will go from here, lawsuits will probably greatly reduce the NFL viability as we head deeper into this century.

feedback