[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Football Ratings Are Down  (Read 104627 times)

brandx

Re: Football Ratings Are Down
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2016, 12:47:05 PM »

You don't understand what I am saying.  I am saying that *IF* this is a long-term trend, and there really is no indication that this is the case, that you can't attribute it to one thing.  Nicknames, domestic violence, etc. aren't impacting the ratings, but taken together, they COULD collectively be hurting the image of the NFL overall.

You sayin' that one week is NOT a long term trend?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2016, 12:50:47 PM »
The only thing I don't like about the NFL is that the majority of players are underpaid.  And NFL revenue sharing just doubled in the past five years to 7.3 billion.   Many argue the NFL is only 16 games so they should earn less but that isn't the true timeline of the work they put in.  I don't know where the hell the $10 million Thompson isn't spending on players each year is going.  Somebody's pockets are getting lined with that extra cash.  Should be going to the players.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2016, 01:21:47 PM »
The only thing I don't like about the NFL is that the majority of players are underpaid.  And NFL revenue sharing just doubled in the past five years to 7.3 billion.   Many argue the NFL is only 16 games so they should earn less but that isn't the true timeline of the work they put in.  I don't know where the hell the $10 million Thompson isn't spending on players each year is going.  Somebody's pockets are getting lined with that extra cash.  Should be going to the players.

They have a salary floor that the NFLPA agreed to.  Teams have to spend 89% of their cap over four years.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2016, 04:29:22 PM »

The packers don't have an "owner". Packers are publicly owned and are run by a board of directors and are nonprofit.  So nobodies pockets are going lined there.  Other teams...?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2016, 04:47:30 PM »
Yeah and the NFL is technically non-profit too.    I find it amusing how the players' salaries are readily available but you can't find a salary on any NFL executive.   We do know Goddell is making around 26 million a year though.  That's fine, everyone is entitled to get what they can, but I'd like to see more going to the players.  I guess if we assume NFL teams are making hand over fist in money I'm not sure why a team being consistently well under the player salary cap is seen as a good thing.   
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 04:49:17 PM by Blackhat »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2016, 04:56:02 PM »
The NFL isn't a not-for-profit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2015/04/28/the-nfl-is-dropping-its-tax-exempt-status-why-that-ends-up-helping-them-out/

And I don't think you know much about the salary cap.  In 2015, all but four teams spent 90% of their cap space.  All but ten spent 95% of their cap space...including the Packers.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2016, 05:11:58 PM »
You cite one year.   The Packers are often one of the farthest teams under cap.    They had over 20 million to use this year but chose not to use it in free agency.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2016, 05:59:45 PM »
A 49'er actually beat up an elderly man with his own cane,  yet a certain slice of Americana views Kap as an ISIS sympathizer who hates 'Merica,  because he is doing a non violent protest,  expressing his freedom of speech of rights. And according to some,  millions are no longer watching football because of it.

Riddle me this... for years a small % NFL players have been implicated or convicted of murder,  rape,  DUIs, assault, domestic battety... But if took a guy to sit down and kneel during the national anthem to impact millions of people,  to not watch football.   If this theory is true, actually says a lot about those choosing to boycott over this, and not over the other things.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2016, 06:41:46 PM »
You cite one year.   The Packers are often one of the farthest teams under cap.    They had over 20 million to use this year but chose not to use it in free agency.

Again, you don't know what you are talking about.  Right now the Packers are only $10M under - about 12%.  By the end of the year, that figure will be reduced significantly.

You don't understand how the Packers redo contracts to use most of their cap space almost every year.  The Packers don't spend it all on free agents before the year starts, like some teams do.  But in the end, they do spend it in a way that allows them to be be VERY flexible.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2016, 08:34:51 PM »
Sultan we're all already aware you are the leading authority on every topic, no need to talk down.  Pack rolled over 7m dollars last year about double of all the NFC North combined.   Hopefully that isn't a yearly trend as there are plenty of holes to fill in GB.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2016, 08:37:23 PM »
A 49'er actually beat up an elderly man with his own cane,  yet a certain slice of Americana views Kap as an ISIS sympathizer who hates 'Merica,  because he is doing a non violent protest,  expressing his freedom of speech of rights. And according to some,  millions are no longer watching football because of it.

Riddle me this... for years a small % NFL players have been implicated or convicted of murder,  rape,  DUIs, assault, domestic battety... But if took a guy to sit down and kneel during the national anthem to impact millions of people,  to not watch football.   If this theory is true, actually says a lot about those choosing to boycott over this, and not over the other things.

Read the article if you want, but more importantly, read the comment section AND most telling is the thumbs up or down part.  There is a large large majority of the people reading those comments that agree that these "demonstrations" are very distracting. You can push back all you want, but the reality is, people don't want to see this bull crap at the games.  I think most people are aware of the "injustices" and joblessness, and educational opportunities and the class warfare and the police situation...they come to football, basketball, baseball, etc to get away from this crap.  Here, They just want to see football.  Something needs to be done to tell these guys to find another outlet. 

Tell me, what is the sign or signal that these "demonstrations" are working, having an impact, making a difference...when they will stop?  What will be the moment they are looking for when they can say, ok our job is done here?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2016, 09:21:49 PM »
Sultan we're all already aware you are the leading authority on every topic, no need to talk down.  Pack rolled over 7m dollars last year about double of all the NFC North combined.   Hopefully that isn't a yearly trend as there are plenty of holes to fill in GB.

$7 million.  About 4% of their cap.  In other words, the Packers spent 96% of their cap last year...well over what the CBA with the players union requires.

Are you done now?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2016, 09:52:20 PM »
Yeah and the NFL is technically non-profit too.    I find it amusing how the players' salaries are readily available but you can't find a salary on any NFL executive.   

What are you talking about?  It's public information, right on their IRS Form 990, just like any other NFP.  Check out page 38:

http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2014/131/922/2014-131922622-0b2b728f-9O.pdf
Have some patience, FFS.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2016, 10:17:09 PM »
I was referring to team executives, not league executives.

brandx

« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2016, 11:50:33 PM »

Yeah, but,

If Kap gets away with this, people are gonna start thinkin' they can use their freedoms whenever they want.....

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2016, 07:05:46 AM »
Yeah, but,

If Kap gets away with this, people are gonna start thinkin' they can use their freedoms whenever they want.....

People are free to do whatever they want, when they want.  BUT, there are consequences.  Some are favorable, some not so...this one may get old...real fast

One can say, I don't mean any disrespect for this or that.  Perception is reality and one cannot control others people's perception.  It is what it is. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2016, 08:09:32 AM »
I was referring to team executives, not league executives.

The individual teams are private businesses (for the most part).  How much the executives make is, frankly, no one's business except the owners.
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2016, 09:46:18 AM »
You can push back all you want, but the reality is, people don't want to see this bull crap at the games.  I think most people are aware of the "injustices" and joblessness, and educational opportunities and the class warfare and the police situation...they come to football, basketball, baseball, etc to get away from this crap.  Here, They just want to see football.  Something needs to be done to tell these guys to find another outlet.

I think you just described why these protests are happening at football games. Protests are most effective when you do them in places you don't expect and are inconvenient to those who aren't part of the movement. I do not know if it is changing behavior but it is certainly reaching plenty of people. Exposure is half the battle.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

chicosblindbodydouble

• Walk-On
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2016, 10:23:28 AM »
Please leave!!

Keep the right-wing politics (and all politics) off this board.

1) Why do I have to leave?

2) This isn't a right-wing politics issue.  This isn't a left wing politics issue.  We are talking about why ratings are down this season.  You made a comment that the protests had no impact.  You are wrong.

Mr. Kaepernik can protest all he wants and I support his right to do so.  I, and others, can choose not to support him or the NFL in return.   For me, it is personal because of the law enforcement in my family.  His reason for protesting he stated was due to the police.  He has been invited to spend time with the SF and Oakland police departments and walk in their shoes, which he should do.  He has chosen thus far not to do that.  Fans have a voice, too.  They can click the remote off.

chicosblindbodydouble

• Walk-On
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2016, 10:33:46 AM »

Look Chicos, anecdotal evidence isn't any indication of a significant movement.

1) I'm not Chicos
2) People are protesting with their remote controls in week one.  If players continue, fans will continue.  If players stop, fans will stop. 
3) If ratings suddenly reverse themselves, are the reasons given this past week that nicknames, domestic violence and other excuses are not applicable?

Note:  I created a username (TilTuesday) last week different than my normal one that I have over 1000 contributions.  It was in response to Nadel's comments in the North Carolina thread.  My instincts were he would continue to make his political statements and nothing would happen.  I would make a mild one, and be banned.  Turned out exactly correct.  There is an echo chamber on this board and it has really become dead.  People also vote to use this board with their views and contributions, but there seems to be some posted rules that are ignored repeatedly by posters like Nadal with no impact, but others are banned.  It was an experiment using a VPN account it was easy without giving away my normal username, for fear of retribution.  It would be nice if the guys that run this establishment enforced the rules equally here, but they don't. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2016, 10:40:18 AM »
1) I'm not Chicos

[snip]

Note:  I created a username (TilTuesday) last week

Liar!

Code: [Select]
View IPs used by TilTuesday
Most recent IP address: 192.[snip]
IPs used in recent posts:[snip, but several]
IPs used in error messages:
Members possibly in the same range: ChicosBailBonds, thePhoenix

You haven't yet made the same IP mistakes with this username, but since you admit to creating TilTuesday, I know you're Chicos.  Sorry bud, stop creating usernames here (BTW, ThePhoenix was another one of his).

Just stop. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2016, 12:08:50 PM »
Liar!

Code: [Select]
View IPs used by TilTuesday
Most recent IP address: 192.[snip]
IPs used in recent posts:[snip, but several]
IPs used in error messages:
Members possibly in the same range: ChicosBailBonds, thePhoenix

You haven't yet made the same IP mistakes with this username, but since you admit to creating TilTuesday, I know you're Chicos.  Sorry bud, stop creating usernames here (BTW, ThePhoenix was another one of his).

Just stop. 

So the guy creates new usernames here for the sole purpose of feeding the theory that he was targeted for his political views.

That is pretty sad.