Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Last two schollies.  (Read 10177 times)

tower912

• All American
Last two schollies.
« on: September 13, 2016, 07:34:27 PM »
I still want Tillman.    Suddenly having 3 athletic 6'9 guys paired with Heldt and Hauser next year up front?   Yes please.      What would you like to see for the last schollie.    IMO, a 2-3 type. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Last two schollies.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 07:37:27 PM »
If not Tillman, then French (but if French committed tomorrow I would be good)
Cain with either one of them.

Even if we just get one of those three, I think we have filled some holes on this team.  It may not be a highly rated class, but I think it would be important.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 07:45:02 PM »
I agree with Sultan.  Land one, fantastic.  Land two, gravy.  My pecking order is either Tillman or French for a big.  Cain for a wing. 

I honestly wouldn't be surprised at all if our next two verbals come by the end of the month.  I think BD's smoke today was just a thin vapor in the air.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 07:49:51 PM »
Seems like the staff is making a push for Jamal Cain, so there's your 2-3 type.

In a couple years we could be looking at...

PG: Carter (JR)
Combo: Rowsey (SR), Duane (SR), Howard (SO)
2-3: Haanif (JR), Hauser (SO), Cain (FR)
3-4: Sandy (SR), Sacar (JR, if anyone can find him by then)
4: French or Tillman (FR)
4-5: Theo (FR), Ike (FR)
5: Heldt (JR)

Clearly I'm making a lot of assumptions. In '18, Bailey presumably is here, obviously there's a lot of emphasis on the younger Hauser, and another point guard looks like it could be a necessity.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 08:43:50 PM »
I'm anticipating priority PG in the '18 class.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 09:13:22 PM »
Hasahn French is the prototype Big East power forward who will do the lunch bucket stuff. A very good kid as well. Would love to close the deal with him.

Tillman has very soft hands and really knows how to work offensively in close.

I would be great to sign  either of those two.

Nwora is a kid with enormous upside. Size and can shoot from all over. Coaches son .

Cain athletic, high motor plays in a very competitive high school environment. Height and Length.

I would love to sign either of these two.

As far as I am concerned. All four are fantastic and if comes down to the first two to say yes, I am fine with that.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 09:44:14 PM »
One of Cain/Nwora. Preference would be Nwora but I think it will be Cain. One of Tillman/French. Preference and prediction is Xavier Tillman but would still love to have French.

I think you try and fill both spots and if you lose someone to transfer you fill them with a transfer or grad transfer.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 09:51:01 PM »
This is a silly thread.

muguru says Wojo can't recruit, so why even bother speculating on what we'll do with these schollies?

I just wish guru were our coach. We'd be 5-starrin' up the yin-yang!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 09:55:08 PM »
One of Cain/Nwora. Preference would be Nwora but I think it will be Cain. One of Tillman/French. Preference and prediction is Xavier Tillman but would still love to have French.

I think you try and fill both spots and if you lose someone to transfer you fill them with a transfer or grad transfer.

I agree with this analysis.

I wouldn't be opposed to landing both Cain and Nwora if Tillman goes elsewhere.

French I know the least about but I'm a fan of puns; huge puntential with French (yes I just made up a word).  For starters, I'll refer to all of his boards as "Freedom Rebounds".

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 10:09:48 PM »
I agree with this analysis.

I wouldn't be opposed to landing both Cain and Nwora if Tillman goes elsewhere.

French I know the least about but I'm a fan of puns; huge puntential with French (yes I just made up a word).  For starters, I'll refer to all of his boards as "Freedom Rebounds".

Its a Family affair, we want Mr. French.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 04:45:40 PM »
I'd like to see a PG, I'm not a believer in Carter....he's a backup PG in my mind. Bring energy and play defense. Nice player but don't see him taking a team to the final four. Plus I would be surprised to see another 4 commit with two already coming in, everyone wants to play right away.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 04:56:52 PM »
For the next 2 years, they have Carter, Howard and Rowsey.  If Carter can not do it, they have 2 others.  I can see a point for 2018 at best.

There still is room for three, if somebody decides to leave early.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 05:04:37 PM »
I'd like to see a PG, I'm not a believer in Carter....he's a backup PG in my mind. Bring energy and play defense. Nice player but don't see him taking a team to the final four. Plus I would be surprised to see another 4 commit with two already coming in, everyone wants to play right away.

Not bringing in a Point this year.  That would smack of 'recruiting over' Marcus and Traci to a lesser extent. You don't get top 30 kids going forward that way. Give em a chance.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 05:05:38 PM »
Is Cain able?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 05:13:17 PM »

I somewhat agree that it is unlikely that MU lands another 4 in this class.   However, if you have enough 4's, you don't need a 5.    We see that in the Big East all of the time.    Nova just won a national championship with Ochefu as the only player on the team taller than 6'9.    They had talented tall 3's who played as 4's and 5's.      Honestly, if you told me that MU was going to have a team with four 6'8-6'9 230lb PF's rotating between the 4 and 5, and they all had game, a la the guys from Xavier, SJU, Villanova, SHU who have beaten us up recently, and no true 5's on the roster, I would be OK with that.       I always thought Buzz's offense would have worked best with a couple of 6'9 stretch 4's rather than a true big.    I can see the same with the 4-out/1-in stuff Wojo is going to run this year.      So, I am glad MU had Fischer and Heldt this year and Heldt going forward.    But if Wojo is able to land Eke/John types going forward, MU will be fine up front.    These are the type of guys neither Crean nor Buzz landed.  (other than McKay, and we know how that turned out)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 05:23:24 PM »
Not bringing in a Point this year.  That would smack of 'recruiting over' Marcus and Traci to a lesser extent. You don't get top 30 kids going forward that way. Give em a chance.

Blue bloods recruit over top 30 recruits every single year.  Now I am not saying that we are a blue blood or that we need a point guard next year, but still.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 05:26:49 PM »
If Xavier Tillman doesn't work out, I remain very interested in Epperson. Looks like he could be a nice player and a traditional 5, which John and Eke obviously are not.  We'd be covered up front for a while.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 05:43:31 PM »
Eke is very raw.  I could see him redshirting if Wojo lands another big.

Tillman could backup the 4 and also rotate at the 5 with Heldt and John.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2016, 06:12:19 PM »
Eke is very raw.  I could see him redshirting if Wojo lands another big.

Tillman could backup the 4 and also rotate at the 5 with Heldt and John.

That makes total sense.  If you look at Eke he has a very wide shoulder frame, will need 30 lbs. to go with it. 

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2016, 06:42:58 PM »
Good idea, when was the last time we redshirted a student-athlete for development?

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2016, 07:27:25 PM »
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2016, 07:27:49 PM »
Good idea, when was the last time we redshirted a student-athlete for development?

Matt Mortenson?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2016, 07:46:13 PM »
That was a gamble that didn't pay off. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2016, 07:49:03 PM »
Blue bloods recruit over top 30 recruits every single year.  Now I am not saying that we are a blue blood or that we need a point guard next year, but still.

True of course.  But I'm not sure KY ever recruits a kid under 30!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2016, 07:53:29 PM »
Matt Mortenson?
Mortenson was more recent, but O'Neal redshirted Amil McCaskil (sp) after his freshmen year and that worked out very well.

feedback