[Today at 05:32:20 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer Sitouts May be Coming to an End  (Read 17548 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Transfer Sitouts May be Coming to an End
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 02:33:08 PM »
No! We need more sitting out (grad teams)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 02:34:23 PM »
Yes!  Chaos!  I love it!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 02:38:36 PM »
The articles talk about players transferring mid-season and being immediately eligible, that would be ridiculous. I don't know if this is possible but I wish the rule was that a transfer could be immediately eligible if their scholarship is up. If they leave before it is up then they have to sit.
TAMU

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 02:43:21 PM »
The articles talk about players transferring mid-season and being immediately eligible, that would be ridiculous. I don't know if this is possible but I wish the rule was that a transfer could be immediately eligible if their scholarship is up. If they leave before it is up then they have to sit.

I am also in agreement. I believe transfers should be full freedom after a season ends. If a player decides to transfer mid season then they will have to sit out until next season.

Also like the idea Coach K gives, where if a coach leaves, players have full freedom to transfer. I would addon to that with full freedom transfers if the school gets sanctions against them that had nothing to do with the player in question. IE 2 players get paid, school gets banned from Ncaa tournament for 3 years, the other 10 players should have full transfer freedom.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 05:24:50 PM »
This would provide the final proof for what Jerry Seinfeld said:  fans cheer for the uniforms, not the players.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 05:32:52 PM »
I am also in agreement. I believe transfers should be full freedom after a season ends. If a player decides to transfer mid season then they will have to sit out until next season.

Also like the idea Coach K gives, where if a coach leaves, players have full freedom to transfer. I would addon to that with full freedom transfers if the school gets sanctions against them that had nothing to do with the player in question. IE 2 players get paid, school gets banned from Ncaa tournament for 3 years, the other 10 players should have full transfer freedom.

That means you never stop recruiting players even after they sign.  Ready for coaches constantly calling players like Cheatham and Howard telling them going to MU was a mistake and they could transfer and immediately play.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 06:32:14 PM »
I would addon to that with full freedom transfers if the school gets sanctions against them that had nothing to do with the player in question. IE 2 players get paid, school gets banned from Ncaa tournament for 3 years, the other 10 players should have full transfer freedom.

I believe that would be the case under current rules where the NCAA could issue waivers.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 06:36:39 PM »
As a whole though, I believe the current rules where players sit is fine.  Employers can put a non-compete clause in an employee's contract.  That's essentially what the transfer redshirt is: A non-compete clause.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 06:44:38 PM »
As a whole though, I believe the current rules where players sit is fine.  Employers can put a non-compete clause in an employee's contract.  That's essentially what the transfer redshirt is: A non-compete clause.

Except the NCAA vehemently insists its athletes are not employees and should not be treated as employees.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 06:56:17 PM »
Def agree with TAMU that should only apply after the end of school year - but this makes me think there'd be a lot more kids at the end of their eligibility nowhere close to graduating - and then the argument will be the schools/ncaa have failed them at getting their degrees

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 07:15:15 PM »
My view is for revenue sports the one year rule stays in place. Otherwise there would be complete chaos. However, eliminate the 5 years to play 4 rule, which in certain cases hurts kids. In addition liberalize what a used year of eligibility is. Guys like John Dawson who played  4 minutes should not lose a year of eligibility. Finally, there is merit in the grad transfer provision as it currently stands, I have seen very few cases where anyone is hurt from that. The primary objective is for the kid to graduate. If the kid is happy he will stay , if he feels there are greener pastures let him seek them. Also there are family life circumstances that come in to play such as they did with Lockett and one of the recent Michigan State grad transfers. The life of a college athlete is short so why not let them and their family get the most out of it.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

thePhoenix

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 07:31:49 PM »
The stupidity of this idea cannot be understated.  The author knows it, and relishes in it.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 09:22:10 PM »
Is Wally still Leashed?
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016, 09:29:30 PM »
Except the NCAA vehemently insists its athletes are not employees and should not be treated as employees.

Exactly.

Everybody has freedom and rights and compensation ... except the "student/athletes" ... the very people who make the billion$ possible.

But yes, let's worry about the "chaos" for our own selfish reasons: We like watching our school uniforms compete against the other school's uniforms.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2016, 09:18:42 AM »
Exactly.

Everybody has freedom and rights and compensation ... except the "student/athletes" ... the very people who make the billion$ possible.

But yes, let's worry about the "chaos" for our own selfish reasons: We like watching our school uniforms compete against the other school's uniforms.

Or for a different reason... academics first.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2016, 11:40:37 AM »

::)
TAMU

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2016, 02:50:08 PM »

;D

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2016, 09:37:06 PM »

Well, if that's what the schools really want, they need to simply dump their basketball and football programs. Stop being minor leagues for the NBA and NFL, and get in the business of educating youngsters.

Anything more "sporty" than the Ivy League or Patriot League, and it's just one big hypocrisy.

Which, of course, it is.

Having said that, J.B., I know you were being sarcastic and, like me, don't like using teal.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2016, 10:01:15 PM »
Exactly.

I hate when people say this.  It is not true.  The students sign a legally binding document to agree to financial aide and grant their rights to the University.  They have every right to not do so and try to find professional work as an athlete.  They choose not to for the benefits of college.

Similarly, professors, grad students, students sign away their technology rights in lieu of being able to have access to the benefits a University provides.  They also sign away billions.  Everything is the same, they all have a choice in the matter. 

If you work for a company doing research, in your contract you sign away your rights to technology you develop.  Again, you have a choice.  You choose to sign away for the benefits of your employer, because of what they can provide for your future career.

Student/Athletes are no different than any scholarship/stipend/grant-in-aid/salary.  You sign away certain rights to profits generated by you, for the benefits/compensation you receive.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2016, 10:34:38 PM »
I hate when people say this.  It is not true.  The students sign a legally binding document to agree to financial aide and grant their rights to the University.  They have every right to not do so and try to find professional work as an athlete.  They choose not to for the benefits of college.

Similarly, professors, grad students, students sign away their technology rights in lieu of being able to have access to the benefits a University provides.  They also sign away billions.  Everything is the same, they all have a choice in the matter. 

If you work for a company doing research, in your contract you sign away your rights to technology you develop.  Again, you have a choice.  You choose to sign away for the benefits of your employer, because of what they can provide for your future career.

Student/Athletes are no different than any scholarship/stipend/grant-in-aid/salary.  You sign away certain rights to profits generated by you, for the benefits/compensation you receive.

Well, not really.  Sure, an 18 year old kid could move out of the country to a country he's probably never been to that speaks a language he probably doesn't speak and only see his family over a computer or cell phone screen and struggle through a year playing overseas.

We take away his right to find work as a professional athlete in this country.  There's really only 1 logical choice.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2016, 10:57:12 PM »
Well, not really.  Sure, an 18 year old kid could move out of the country to a country he's probably never been to that speaks a language he probably doesn't speak and only see his family over a computer or cell phone screen and struggle through a year playing overseas.

We take away his right to find work as a professional athlete in this country.  There's really only 1 logical choice.

There is the D-league (or CFL, Arena, Indoor Football League, Champions Indoor Football, Arena Development league for football), they could all go there.  If there is a market for such a sport system, and they all bypassed college to play in the D-league (or equivalent), the profits there would rise and with it compensation.

That brings up the crux of the problem though, the reason there aren't other options is that it will not be profitable.  There is no market for a minor league team system with salaries that would even be equal to a scholarship.  People watch college athletics because of University tradition and affiliation with alma mater's, not for the quality of the athletic competition (that's what the NBA/NFL is for).

The athletes now want two things, they want to benefit from the exposure and audiences brought in because of a University, but want to be paid like they are not in a University setting. 

If I go work for company x, because they give me the resources so that I can invent technology x (see audience/exposure); everyone would agree that it is absurd for me to want the company to invest in all the infrastructure, provide all the tools and financial support, but grant me all the profit. 

For athletes we view them differently for some strange reason, and feel they should be provided all the above. 

On top of that, there are key problems  if one does provide compensation.  As soon as the athletes are employees, the universities have crossed into "for profit" territory for athletics.  That means that they cannot accept any government funding for anything affiliated with athletics.  They cannot use any academic resources for athletics.  They cannot obtain "tax deductible" donations for athletics.  Essentially, athletics goes away.

The student/athlete logic (although rationally absurd at this point) that is important to the transfer issue and compensation really results from a desire to maintain the veil of a "not-for-profit educational mission".  The transfer issue really doesn't damage that veil, so I'm largely ok with it.  But compensation above total compensation/minor stipend would thoroughly pierce the veil.

Disclosure:  the information above is my opinion and my opinion alone.  These issues cannot be proven one way or another definitively; in the end we will be left with our opinion.  Take the information as such.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2016, 11:22:37 PM »
If you do not care for the rules surrounding college athletics, you are free to not participate.

feedback