[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Class of 2020 Acceptance Rate 77%  (Read 13684 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Class of 2020 Acceptance Rate 77%
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2016, 07:10:51 PM »
Ok, my 2 cents.

I believe I recall that our most recent contribution rate is around 15%; not nearly good enough.  Mid 20s would be much better.

Second,  very modest contributions are highly prized by Advancements. Marquette truly appreciates even small contributions. Getting the participation rate up is a big deal.

Third, it doesn't take millions to be a rock star. I'm pretty sure all you guys know that chick and I contribute. We get invited to everything. We have access if and when we need it. We're frequently asked to serve on various boards and committees. We feel like we're part of the university.

So my advice,  step up for $100 this year. It's one night out on the town skipped. Get off the bench and in the game. You'll feel Warrior pride writing that modest check.

University of Chicago's goal is 70% of alumni giving at least a dollar and the overall engagement goal of $4.5 billion.  The dollar goal will be blown away. 15% is pathetic.

https://news.uchicago.edu/article/2014/05/08/university-sets-goal-45-billion-university-chicago-campaign-inquiry-and-impact

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2016, 07:14:17 PM »
I'm surprised Marquette still hasn't called me for donations. The only way I would donate is if they could guarantee it went to the basketball or volleyball program.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2016, 07:15:18 PM »
I'm surprised Marquette still hasn't called me for donations. The only way I would donate is if they could guarantee it went to the basketball or volleyball program.

Yeah they will guaranty that. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2016, 07:18:02 PM »
In all fairness Pat, one school is world class and highly selective and da utter is, ....
Not a fair comparison, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2016, 07:37:17 PM »
University of Chicago's goal is 70% of alumni giving at least a dollar and the overall engagement goal of $4.5 billion.  The dollar goal will be blown away. 15% is pathetic.

https://news.uchicago.edu/article/2014/05/08/university-sets-goal-45-billion-university-chicago-campaign-inquiry-and-impact

Well, for one thing, University of Chicago aren't bent out of shape about no longer having football - even though the Heisman trophy is literally a statue of one of their own players.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2016, 07:39:08 PM »
Well, for one thing, University of Chicago aren't bent out of shape about no longer having football - even though the Heisman trophy is literally a statue of one of their own players.

Pedant time:  They have a D3 football team.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2016, 07:44:08 PM »
Moon da Maroons, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2016, 08:08:14 PM »
In all fairness Pat, one school is world class and highly selective and da utter is, ....
Not a fair comparison, hey?

Fill a couple of extra cavities.  BeeJay can donate a few shekels from his penny stock earnings.  It takes a village, ai-na?

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2016, 11:15:19 AM »
?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 11:20:51 AM by vogue65 »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2016, 02:00:52 PM »
My comments on all of this:

1) I am less concerned about what goes in than what comes out. If Marquette is producing well-educated young men and women who understand that the world about them is a continual learning process built on the foundation they received in the classroom, then the university has done its job. 77% is OK if Marquette prepares students for the real world.
    A) It is notable that students self-select. If you can't do Marquette work at the price Marquette is charging today, chances are you probably won't go there.

2) As for contributions, my father, MU-1955, all but ordered me  to start giving the day I walked out of Marquette with my degree. He noted there were foundations and other entities that will give to Marquette based on the percentage of alumni who give.  He said even in my impoverished state, I could afford $25 to the  Annual  Marquette Fund. I gave out of respect for what I received at Marquette and out of respect for what my parents did for me. I still do.

3) Keep in mind that for those of us who have long-ago been graduated from Marquette (yeah, anyone, pre-2010), there is nothing Marquette can do today that will change our station in life. It is what we do with what we learned that governs where we go. I want Marquette to do well so that when their students are coming looking for opportunity, we say "no" at our own peril.  It's also a pride thing and a reaffirmation of our own choice. Don't kid yourself though, that's ego!

4) I do care how well the basketball team does! It is an addiction started in the 1960s and runs through today.  That I use Scoop to scream about!!!!!!! And that, folks, is raw emotion!!!!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2016, 02:29:27 PM »

Wow Chi. You of all people.  How bout that first in one's family type kid.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2016, 09:03:24 PM »
USNWR rankings came out today for 2017.

Is that the same as last year?

Also, USNWR transferred a bunch of regional schools to the national ranking this year. Nova came in at #50.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2016, 08:47:24 PM »
USNWR rankings came out today for 2017.

Is that the same as last year?

Also, USNWR transferred a bunch of regional schools to the national ranking this year. Nova came in at #50.

Yes it is the same as last year.  Glad it didn't go down.  Nova moved up from the regional U to lowest level national university with an R3 Carnegie Classification.  Marquette actually moved up this year as well, from an R3 (Moderate Research Activity Doctoral University) to R2 (Higher Research Activity Doctoral University) which is a really good thing and a stated goal of the strategic plan that Pliarz put in place 3 years ago.  In fact they issued a press release about it earlier this year.  Unfortunately it means absolute jack because as long as we let in 77% of those who apply we won't move up in the rankings.  Play the game Marquette!  Be superficial!  Snob appeal matters!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2016, 08:59:41 PM »
Bullsh*t.

Marquette should continue doing what it's doing.  It's working. If it prevents some dork from the coast from bothering to head to Milwaukee because his 'rents can't imagine their little precious one going to such a bad school, fine by me.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2016, 09:12:43 PM »
Yes it is the same as last year.  Glad it didn't go down.  Nova moved up from the regional U to lowest level national university with an R3 Carnegie Classification.  Marquette actually moved up this year as well, from an R3 (Moderate Research Activity Doctoral University) to R2 (Higher Research Activity Doctoral University) which is a really good thing and a stated goal of the strategic plan that Pliarz put in place 3 years ago.  In fact they issued a press release about it earlier this year.  Unfortunately it means absolute jack because as long as we let in 77% of those who apply we won't move up in the rankings.  Play the game Marquette!  Be superficial!  Snob appeal matters!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2016, 11:54:08 PM »
Bullsh*t.

Marquette should continue doing what it's doing.  It's working. If it prevents some dork from the coast from bothering to head to Milwaukee because his 'rents can't imagine their little precious one going to such a bad school, fine by me.
We do not need to cater to people like you. That gets us no where fast. We can fill the school overnight with mediocrity if we want to.

We want to appeal to people who will write 7 figure checks.  When we get more of those we can be paternalistic and do all the service and be even more charity minded.

You are  looking at the world upside down. The world is a cold hard competitive place . Marquette can compete in that world but it has to be way smart and way more sophisticated about it.

Northeastern is crap school and they have played the game and look where they are. Now it is becoming a self fullfilling prophecy. Kids whose parents 10 years ago would never countenance sending precious little Johnny and Buffy there are proudly displaying the Northeastern Sticker on the car.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2016, 12:16:43 AM »
Bullsh*t.

I always find it fascinating hearing this desire by some alums (not just at MU) pressing so hard to turn their alma mater into a school that they would hardily recognize.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2016, 07:31:42 AM »
While we've strayed a little off the original purpose which basically indicates that MU took a more targeted approach with respect to recruiting this year (that in fact ended up being quite successful), it is interesting to note that folks here seem to have a vastly different opinion on what Marquette should be.  On one hand we can strive to be a Georgetown clone. On the other, a version of Loyola 75 miles to the north.

Marquette's already a different place than the school I went to 35 years ago.  In some ways better and in some ways maybe not.  Be interesting to see where the next 20 years takes us.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2016, 07:53:50 AM »
We do not need to cater to people like you. That gets us no where fast. We can fill the school overnight with mediocrity if we want to.

We want to appeal to people who will write 7 figure checks.  When we get more of those we can be paternalistic and do all the service and be even more charity minded.

You are  looking at the world upside down. The world is a cold hard competitive place . Marquette can compete in that world but it has to be way smart and way more sophisticated about it.

Northeastern is crap school and they have played the game and look where they are. Now it is becoming a self fullfilling prophecy. Kids whose parents 10 years ago would never countenance sending precious little Johnny and Buffy there are proudly displaying the Northeastern Sticker on the car.

Apparently you failed to read again.

Marquette has increased the quality and the quantity of its freshman class WITHOUT playing the acceptance rate game.

If you want your kids at Northeastern cause it its rank, go ahead. Hope they have fun.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2016, 08:34:11 AM »

Pedant time:  They have a D3 football team.

Like many other world class universities, Johns Hopkins, MIT, "Georgetown" or Division 2A or Div. 1A or whatever, better that then the numb-nuts Division 1 football schools.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2016, 09:08:59 AM »
I'm happy we don't cater towards the wealthy, elite, northeast families. That's the kind of student body I want no where near Marquette.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2016, 09:57:30 AM »
I'm happy we don't cater towards the wealthy, elite, northeast families. That's the kind of student body I want no where near Marquette.

You would have liked MU back in my day skywalker.  Back then we asked 'Where's Naperville?'

UNC Eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2016, 09:51:29 AM »
University of Chicago has a football team, that competes in D3. They are also still an academic member of the Big Ten. So they are having it both ways.
UNC Grad MU Fan

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2016, 12:13:34 PM »
University of Chicago has a football team, that competes in D3. They are also still an academic member of the Big Ten. So they are having it both ways.

The University of Chicago is no longer a member of the Committee on Institutional Cooperation, now known as the Big Ten Academic Alliance.  They were a guest member until this summer.

UNC Eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2016, 03:52:41 PM »

The University of Chicago is no longer a member of the Committee on Institutional Cooperation, now known as the Big Ten Academic Alliance.  They were a guest member until this summer.

http://www.btaa.org/about/expansion/name-change-faq
UNC Grad MU Fan

feedback