collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Loyola University/Chicago billboard  (Read 17105 times)

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
Re: Loyola University/Chicago billboard
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2016, 07:22:14 PM »

Why do you care so much about Marquette raising its profile?  Marquette is what it is...a very good, midwestern Catholic university.  Why does it have to be the next Georgetown?  Or Boston College?  Is "being a great catholic university and not a great university that happens to be catholic" that bad?

Because when you both come from, and currently live in a place where only maybe a third of people.... and I'm talking exclusively about college educated professionals and their high school aged children.... have even heard of Marquette, despite eight successful years of NCAA tournament runs during the Buzz Williams era which wasn't that long ago, it gets to you after a while.   I used to help out and volunteer to represent MU at college fairs but I don't anymore because very few students/parents stopped by the MU table compared to most of the other schools there and these college fairs were all at Catholic high schools because as I've said before Marquette does not make an effort to recruit at public schools in this part of the country (metro NYC).

Distance has absolutely nothing to do with it.   The USC, Tulane, Vanderbilt, Duke, Michigan, Wisconsin, UC Boulder, Northwestern, UT Austin, Claremont McKenna, tables were all packed.  I could name 15 more off the top of my head but I won't for the sake of brevity.  My point is all of these schools are at least as far away from NYC as Marquette is and a TON of kids from the NYC area go to these schools.  Hell my high school in southwestern CT has 10-12 students applying to UW Madison each year and most years at least 1  and usually two or three kids end up going there.   Keep in mind their parents are  paying out of state tuition which is comparable to private.  The last person to apply to Marquette University from my high school, let alone actually attend there was me.   I graduated from high school  in the late 80s.  Again this same high school gets 10–12 kids applying to UW Madison and two or three usually end up going every year.    That was the case in the 80s and is still the case today,  so yes I have a chip on my shoulder and it bothers me big time.   Perhaps it shouldn't but it does.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2016, 09:49:40 PM »
.Distance has absolutely nothing to do with it.   The USC, Tulane, Vanderbilt, Duke, Michigan, Wisconsin, UC Boulder, Northwestern, UT Austin, Claremont McKenna, tables were all packed.  I could name 15 more off the top of my head but I won't for the sake of brevity.

Thank goodness for NCAA probation...

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2016, 04:32:54 AM »
They dumped their dental school program in 1993

Interesting story about Loyola's dental school BEFORE it was closed of course...a fellow student in my class was being asked/told to leave due to grades and probably some bad choices reflecting badly on the dental profession in general.  Well he/she didn't leave without a fight and ended up finishing and becoming a dentist thru Loyola.  Long story short, this person made it approx. 8-10 years before getting their license revoked for....bad decisions in dentistry. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2016, 10:42:42 PM »
Interesting story about Loyola's dental school BEFORE it was closed of course...a fellow student in my class was being asked/told to leave due to grades and probably some bad choices reflecting badly on the dental profession in general.  Well he/she didn't leave without a fight and ended up finishing and becoming a dentist thru Loyola.  Long story short, this person made it approx. 8-10 years before getting their license revoked for....bad decisions in dentistry.

Was it Dr. Tim Whatley?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2016, 04:57:44 AM »
Was it Dr. Tim Whatley?

Nope, unless dr. Tim Whatley was able to "wow" the customers on amateur night down on 26th and state for a little extra "book money"  chili has fond recollections of this person during his Schroeder days
don't...don't don't don't don't

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2016, 10:18:17 AM »
Nope, unless dr. Tim Whatley was able to "wow" the customers on amateur night down on 26th and state for a little extra "book money"  chili has fond recollections of this person during his Schroeder days

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2016, 10:38:47 AM »
You're an anti-dentite!

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2018, 10:49:38 PM »
Bump.

Can't wait to see the billboards after March Madness ends.

LUC should be able to ride the Flutie Effect for 2018-19, and likely 2019-20.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2018, 08:10:23 AM »
Bump.

Can't wait to see the billboards after March Madness ends.

LUC should be able to ride the Flutie Effect for 2018-19, and likely 2019-20.

They need to manage that carefully.

Butler made a huge mistake in that regard.  Their applications skyrocketed, but they accepted far fewer applications than they should have.  They failed to take into account that many of the applicants were basically looky-loos and the number of students who actually enrolled fell far short of targets. Less than two years after their first national championship appearance, they were forced to make budget cuts and lay off staff.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 08:13:39 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2018, 03:29:59 PM »
Loyola has already had two straight years of record enrollment. Apparently several hundred teenagers knew something was coming.

feedback