collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College degree more valuable than people realize  (Read 9035 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: College degree more valuable than people realize
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2016, 01:46:50 PM »
70 effin questions on some dumb internet site to determine "how educated you are"?!?!?!?

One might say those who completed the 70 questions ain't da brightest, a''ina?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2016, 01:58:50 PM »
I knew this would be the situation and would likely do it again. 

The only reason I say likely is because I was unaware of how corporatized Academia would become.  This is a new result, makes Universities absurdly inefficient and alters salary structures to favor the "CEOs".

I really didn't mean to come off as complaining, rather to highlight how actually well off the Grocery Manager/Bank Manager have it.

I would also argue that those business salaries are way too inflated.  It doesn't not require any skill or education.

My son-in-law works for a grocery store chain that serves low income neighborhoods. Most of his customers speak primarily spanish so it helps to be bi-lingual. To be a store manager you have to have  good communication and interpersonal skills, especially if you want your customers to come back. He is also responsible for inventory ( ex. making sure no items are past their expiration date on the shelves) and he does a lot of the heavy lifting (stocking shelves) as well as cleaning out the restrooms. He has only 7 employees and to make the store successful they really have to work together as a team requiring good leadership skills. I guess his company thinks he is worth every penny they pay him even though he may have "little" skill or education. Just because you don't have fancy letters after your name does not mean you have no value. I thought you were in favor of a living  wage?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 02:25:06 PM by muwarrior69 »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2016, 02:18:50 PM »
70 effin questions on some dumb internet site to determine "how educated you are"?!?!?!?

You're right, had I known there were 70 questions when it started, I wouldn't have done it.  I kept thinking it was going to end soon and when they got to question 50 I noticed a note at the bottom that said only 20 more questions to go.  So I figured I invested that much time, I may as well finish.  The fact that I have retained a lot of useless information does not make me particularly bright, unfortunately.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2016, 02:26:10 PM »
So, I am the smartest Scooper so far?

Whoda thunk it?   ;D

Certainly the best looking too.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2016, 02:29:57 PM »
So, I am the smartest Scooper so far?

Whoda thunk it?   ;D

Have to give CT Warrior the gold (he wouldn't have missed both questions 69 and 70). For now, anyway, you and I are tied for second with 91%. I freely admit to several educated and some lucky guesses but I missed a couple of bunnies late (I'm old and lose concentration). 70 questions is at least 20 too many.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2016, 03:00:46 PM »

The only reason I say likely is because I was unaware of how corporatized Academia would become.  This is a new result, makes Universities absurdly inefficient and alters salary structures to favor the "CEOs".

I really didn't mean to come off as complaining, rather to highlight how actually well off the Grocery Manager/Bank Manager have it.

I would also argue that those business salaries are way too inflated.  It doesn't not require any skill or education.

I'm sure you don't mean it to but this "I'm smarter and work harder than anyone else but I'm held back by unfair system" rap comes across as a bit whiny.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2016, 03:25:06 PM »
Certainly the best looking too.

Not sure ya can PC say dat anymore, 69 ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brandx

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2016, 03:50:22 PM »

Doesn't happen often, but we agree on this.

I have little doubt I would score higher on the test than most- I tend to do great at facts and trivia - but that still doesn't mean I am anything more than a functional idiot.

I looked at the first half dozen questions and it would be embarrassing for college graduates to be unable to answer these.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2016, 04:27:58 PM »
I'm sure you don't mean it to but this "I'm smarter and work harder than anyone else but I'm held back by unfair system" rap comes across as a bit whiny.

I'm honestly not sure how your read that into my statement.  I never said I was held back; I actually said I knew this would be the case and did it anyway. 

I only complained about the corporatization that makes Universities absurdly inefficient.  That is a fact.  I recommend you read "Fall of the Faculty"...great book.

Also, no where did I say that I am smarter than anyone else.  I said that being a bank manager/Grocery manager requires no skill or education. 

Again that is a fact, since they do not require any degree to obtain the job.  You cannot be a tenure-track faculty member without a PhD or equivalent; it is not allowed. 

If I had wanted the "store manager/bank manager" type career and salary I would have taken it.  I was offered a store manager position at a national company at 19.  I turned it down, because I would have been unhappy with the job long term.  Still glad I turned it down even though I'd be making far more money. 

I'm sorry my statement came of as whiny or complaining; it wasn't the point.  The point was that education and job salary are not necessarily correlated.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2016, 04:37:39 PM »
I'm honestly not sure how your read that into my statement.  I never said I was held back; I actually said I knew this would be the case and did it anyway. 

I only complained about the corporatization that makes Universities absurdly inefficient.  That is a fact.  I recommend you read "Fall of the Faculty"...great book.

Also, no where did I say that I am smarter than anyone else.  I said that being a bank manager/Grocery manager requires no skill or education. 

Again that is a fact, since they do not require any degree to obtain the job.  You cannot be a tenure-track faculty member without a PhD or equivalent; it is not allowed. 

If I had wanted the "store manager/bank manager" type career and salary I would have taken it.  I was offered a store manager position at a national company at 19.  I turned it down, because I would have been unhappy with the job long term.  Still glad I turned it down even though I'd be making far more money. 

I'm sorry my statement came of as whiny or complaining; it wasn't the point.  The point was that education and job salary value are not necessarily correlated.

Corrected.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2016, 05:29:21 PM »

At least people were honest with you and/or you were honest with yourself.  My friend basically feels like she was sold a bag of goods and is pretty much stuck in the assistant professor "dead-zone" where she has too much experience to justify re-starting her career at entry-level but not enough experience to move laterally into a consulting or private-sector job.  She's been published several times and feels like she's "paid her dues," but figured that 15 years in she'd be at the point where her workload wasn't increasing every year.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2016, 05:38:38 PM »
I haven't even looked at that test.

I hated tests when I was in elementary school. I hated them more when I was in high school. And I hated them most when I was at Marquette.

Why should I take one now for "fun"?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2016, 09:22:35 PM »

That's fooked up. Ya should find a plumber in yo plan. Dey all created equal. Just who can do it cheaper, ai na?

Yeah, but at least our patients ain't seeing no "crack of dawn" when we're rearin back for that little extra tug on da wisdom tooth der hey ein'er so 4EW?
don't...don't don't don't don't

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2016, 08:01:17 AM »
Yeah, but at least our patients ain't seeing no "crack of dawn" when we're rearin back for that little extra tug on da wisdom tooth der hey ein'er so 4EW?

This is harder to translate than an emoji text from a millennial  ;D
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2016, 11:20:18 AM »
This is harder to translate than an emoji text from a millennial  ;D

i responded to 4ever's post about plumbers-if patient has to see the docs arse crack while workin on them, something ain't right.  how does that one plumbers ad go?  if the plumber stinks, the work is free?  great marketing right there ein'er?  i would think that should apply to most professions...at least for starters. 

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2016, 05:10:33 PM »
i responded to 4ever's post about plumbers-if patient has to see the docs arse crack while workin on them, something ain't right.  how does that one plumbers ad go?  if the plumber stinks, the work is free?  great marketing right there ein'er?  i would think that should apply to most professions...at least for starters.

Nobody has need for plumbers more than dentists.  A dental office is a virtual Niagara falls.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2016, 11:07:43 PM »
Anyone interested in some enlightening and slightly more nuanced source material for these articles.... MacArthur Genius Grant winner and Nobel-Likely Kevin Murphy on income inequality and education gaps. Really interesting and a more complete picture.

https://youtu.be/KevV_A6N-6o
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2016, 05:21:11 AM »
Nobody has need for plumbers more than dentists.  A dental office is a virtual Niagara falls.

we've become "self-made" amateur plumbers because of this.  saves a lot of money.  now, if they would send in plumbers that looked like this, i'm springing leaks on a daily basis AND she gets a discount for me to check the tonsils, a tick check AND just to show my support for the susan b koman foundation, a free chesticle exam-gotta nip this stuff in the bud, heyheyheyn'a? just doing my part ::)

Image result for female plumbers

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2016, 06:35:12 AM »
we've become "self-made" amateur plumbers because of this.  saves a lot of money.  now, if they would send in plumbers that looked like this, i'm springing leaks on a daily basis AND she gets a discount for me to check the tonsils, a tick check AND just to show my support for the susan b koman foundation, a free chesticle exam-gotta nip this stuff in the bud, heyheyheyn'a? just doing my part ::)

How are you checking her tonsils?

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2016, 07:49:37 AM »

Jesus
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2016, 08:01:15 AM »
Seriously ... a chart to answer why a College degree more valuable than people realize

Education trumps technology.  Got to get getting smarter as your job is changing and being eliminated by robots and computers.  Stay ahead of the curve.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2016, 01:40:09 PM »
Seriously ... a chart to answer why a College degree more valuable than people realize

Education trumps technology.  Got to get getting smarter as your job is changing and being eliminated by robots and computers.  Stay ahead of the curve.

hey! heisy!  great to see you, keefe,  4ever and a few others survived the "purge" welcome to da good ole boys club now der ein'er?

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2016, 05:13:06 PM »

What a pompous windbag. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2016, 06:15:02 PM »
    "I really didn't mean to come off as complaining, rather to highlight how actually well off the Grocery Manager/Bank Manager have it.

I would also argue that those business salaries are way too inflated.  It doesn't not require any skill or education."

forgetful

are you serious?  my son graduated from MU in 09.  started out with wells fargo as a BANK TELLER. yes you read that right.  a bank teller with a degree in business and finance; worked his ass off, many hours, weekends, etc.  he is now the district manager for milwaukee to port washington to pewaukee.  he is being paid what he feels is fair.  he could get more from a competitor, but has forged relationships both political and business within the power structure that are far more valuable as he can continue to move up.  "no skill or education"??  tell that to wells fargo-hire someone without a GED once.  as a matter of fact, during his first group interview, one of the applicants couldn't understand how you needed money in an account in order to use a debit card...and she was edumacated

you forgetful, as a teacher/professor, should be proud of the fact that this is what you guys can turn out.  most people go into profession first off because they have an interest and a desire to do said work.  typically, one should enjoy their job first.  the pay is definitely an adjunct and can help one enjoy said job even more.  we all make choices.  maybe you could have parlayed your ivy league edu into something that you feel is paid commensurate with your expectations, but you know better than this(your comments) 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2016, 07:15:23 PM »
    "I really didn't mean to come off as complaining, rather to highlight how actually well off the Grocery Manager/Bank Manager have it.

I would also argue that those business salaries are way too inflated.  It doesn't not require any skill or education."

forgetful

are you serious?  my son graduated from MU in 09.  started out with wells fargo as a BANK TELLER. yes you read that right.  a bank teller with a degree in business and finance; worked his ass off, many hours, weekends, etc.  he is now the district manager for milwaukee to port washington to pewaukee.  he is being paid what he feels is fair.  he could get more from a competitor, but has forged relationships both political and business within the power structure that are far more valuable as he can continue to move up.  "no skill or education"??  tell that to wells fargo-hire someone without a GED once.  as a matter of fact, during his first group interview, one of the applicants couldn't understand how you needed money in an account in order to use a debit card...and she was edumacated

you forgetful, as a teacher/professor, should be proud of the fact that this is what you guys can turn out.  most people go into profession first off because they have an interest and a desire to do said work.  typically, one should enjoy their job first.  the pay is definitely an adjunct and can help one enjoy said job even more.  we all make choices.  maybe you could have parlayed your ivy league edu into something that you feel is paid commensurate with your expectations, but you know better than this(your comments)

Fresh out of college, my brother started out as a teller at one of those grocery store bank branches.  Twenty-some years later, he was a bank president. It's a good story to pull out when I talk to some recent grad who thinks that a clerical job is beneath them.
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback