[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: This is a politics free zone!  (Read 56200 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: This is a politics free zone!
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2016, 10:31:31 AM »
Shame it is gone.

The country is as divided as ever, why pretend it isn't.  Emotions can get high, but nothing got nasty.  Marquette alumni \ basketball fans will be no different.

If ever a year we should have one, this would be the year with the craziest of Presidential elections in our lifetime, social issues at every turn, economic, etc.  The proposed debate between DT and BS, what fun that would be. The NC gov surging back to the lead in the polls this week, min wage discussions, the conventions and possible riots at both, etc, etc.

A number of sports boards have off topic \ political boards.  I get the moderation aspect, though many of those other boards just let it fly. 

One thing for sure, this is going to be a much quieter board the next 4 months I suspect.  Offseason is quiet enough, and with what will dominate the news from now until November off limits, going to be pretty quiet.  I never understood why people who don't like it, just stay away from it, put people on ignore.  Oh well.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2016, 10:56:58 AM »
One thing for sure, this is going to be a much quieter board the next 4 months I suspect.  Offseason is quiet enough, and with what will dominate the news from now until November off limits, going to be pretty quiet.  I never understood why people who don't like it, just stay away from it, put people on ignore.  Oh well.

So Heisenberg gets less clicks, so what?

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2016, 04:57:48 PM »
So....took me 10 days to notice the PB was gone.  Proud of sticking to my vow to do my best to avoid it (although I will say one of the benefits of having a PB on a place like SCOOP is that you are forced [if you participate or lurk] to engage with other points of view--I like many tend to stick to sites with like-minded folks, and that is a problem). 

MUSCOOP traffic will be down during non basketball heavy times, but that is OK.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2016, 07:39:04 PM »
Between the offseason and the current political climate the politics board was a most welcome diversion. I actually learned a lot from both sides. Not much to look at here these days.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2016, 09:57:44 AM »
Jimmy Hendrix.

Star Spangled Banner.

ZMF.

We actually listened to this on Sunday and the correct answer is Purple Haze  :D

(I have most of the last 24 hours on CD)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2016, 09:16:16 PM »
Yes

Thank God.  I knew it wouldn't last.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2016, 07:29:05 AM »
It's unfortunate as with an institute of higher learning, an exchange of ideas can be constructive, informative and healthy on many levels.  Now I'm not saying that scoop is an "institute" of higher learning, but most of us have either been to MU or, the less fortunate,
don't...don't don't don't don't

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2016, 11:33:01 AM »
It's unfortunate as with an institute of higher learning, an exchange of ideas can be constructive, informative and healthy on many levels.  Now I'm not saying that scoop is an "institute" of higher learning, but most of us have either been to MU or, the less fortunate,

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2016, 12:10:09 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2016, 09:14:56 PM »
Unfortunately the negative feelings generated from the politics board leak into the other boards. Posters were attacking each other because they began to dislike specific posters because of their political views. It made the board less enjoyable for those of us who stayed out of the politics board.

You are absolutely right on this one.  I can feel the heat even when I'm just trying to join in on some conversations.  Yes, I get snarky, sarcastic, goofy, but cheesus man, ride the bus once in a while, Eyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2017, 02:14:56 PM »
Is there any particular reason that this is still pinned on the front page of the Superbar?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2017, 06:48:30 PM »
Is there any particular reason that this is still pinned on the front page of the Superbar?

We can't have nice things.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2017, 06:48:43 PM »

In hopes that it may actually prevent some number of political posts on the board.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2017, 10:45:51 PM »
In hopes that it may actually prevent some number of political posts on the board.

Those hopes are long gone...

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2017, 07:01:06 AM »
Those hopes are long gone...

Yeah...my point entirely.  Every time I click on the Superbar, I see the "This is a politics free zone!" at the top of the page.  Then the vast majority of threads are full of politics.  This includes threads that are started as politics threads, as well as threads that are hijacked.  And politics makes its way into threads on the other page too.

Like a lot of others, I just marked my 11 year anniversary on this board.  Not sure I'll make it to 12.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2017, 09:23:23 AM »
Yeah...my point entirely.  Every time I click on the Superbar, I see the "This is a politics free zone!" at the top of the page.  Then the vast majority of threads are full of politics.  This includes threads that are started as politics threads, as well as threads that are hijacked.  And politics makes its way into threads on the other page too.

Like a lot of others, I just marked my 11 year anniversary on this board.  Not sure I'll make it to 12.

just start reporting them.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2017, 11:07:02 AM »
Oooh, a good place to repeat this from two months ago:

A few items:

1. Behave.  I can't stress this enough.  We're ~all adults here, and most went to MU.  Act like it.   Really.  Do that, and things will go well.

2. We do our best.   We try.  We fail.  Sorry it's not perfect for you.  Here's your refund.

Frankly, I like political discussion, and very much wanted a political board but people couldn't adhere to point #1, so it was a failed experiment. 

We've always had a 'light touch' on moderating Scoop.    We try to moderate in the dictionary definition sense.  A tuck here, a prune there, and at worst, a timeout when things get beyond reasonable.  TBH, I'm not sure we've ever banned anyone and not let them come back.

Sports and politics do intersect, and I do leave lightly political posts to see how they play out.  Egregious ones get the axe, but often it starts with a weed and two hours later we've got a forest and impossible to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Unfortunately, we've got users -- on both sides -- who need to point out the utter travesty when they read a Scoop post that they prefer not to view or doesn't comply with the rules.   I have some advice:

Get. Over. It.  Stop reading the thread.  Ignore the poster.   Move along with your lives.
Get. Over. It.  Stop reading the thread.  Ignore the poster.   Move along with your lives.

If you can't enjoy ~80% of Scoop and ignore 20%?  Dodds and IWB have boards, maybe you'll find your 100% there.  We'll welcome you back if you miss us. -- Or start your own site and bask in its awesomeness.   It's a real hoot, I encourage you to try it.

We're glad you're passionate.  But Scoop hasn't been perfect for its 10 years, isn't now, and won't be in the future.   Guaranteed. 

Enjoy your time here.  Really.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2017, 11:32:30 AM »
Oooh, a good place to repeat this from two months ago:

[snipped for brevity]

Honestly, Topper, I agree with absolutely everything you said.  I genuinely appreciate that you guys provide this forum and the work that you put into it.  I think you guys do a great job.  I have enjoyed Scoop for years, and still do.  As I said, some of what goes on here (the 20%, as you mentioned) might drive me away...might not.  Either way, I can't imagine it matters much to anyone.

The point of my first post above wasn't that the politics should stop.  It's your board and obviously there is a very significant portion of posters that obviously want that.  I'll even admit that I find some of the discussions that veer toward the political quite engaging.  The point of my first post was merely that it seems pretty silly to have a pinned post declaring this a "politics free zone" (not to mention the promise in the first post that political stuff will be "swiftly removed") when a significant percentage of the posts (and an increasing percentage of the threads) are political.  If the politics is allowed as long as people behave, that's fine.  It's your board.  But you might as well go ahead and unpin this thread.

And I will repeat:  thank you for providing and moderating this forum.  I really do appreciate it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 11:35:12 AM by StillAWarrior »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2017, 01:26:58 PM »
It's because not everything is cut and dry. 

Example .. We can have an NFL thread about the league.  It's even possible to talk about kneeling during the anthem -- and mention the political aspects and how tribes think and react -- at a high level.  It's possible, and we agree that these threads can be "quite engaging."

Until they're not.   

So all these "political threads" out there?   We have hope for them to inform and entertain at a high level.  Until we don't.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2017, 01:36:17 AM »
Hit report to moderator ever time you see politics.  Either you moderate it or you don't. Only way to ignore it is to leave Scoop as it hits every thread.  Same 6-10 posters, no matter the leanings.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2017, 06:37:35 AM »
Hit report to moderator ever time you see politics.  Either you moderate it or you don't. Only way to ignore it is to leave Scoop as it hits every thread.  Same 6-10 posters, no matter the leanings.

I’ll leave Scoop before I’ll become a pain in the moderators’ asses. They provide this forum completely free of charge and probably devote more time to it than I realize. They know what’s going on. If they want to stop it, they’ll stop it. If they want to allow it, they’ll allow it. It’s their choice. I’m not going to start pestering them just because their choice is different from what I would prefer.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2019, 10:18:14 AM »
Out of curiosity, what is the determining factor between whether a thread is locked or split after it goes off on a political tangent?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2019, 10:37:52 AM »
A few factors ..  is this thread 50 pages long already?  Locked.  It's been debated, and the main purpose was likely lost 40 pages ago.

How many posts need to be split and removed?  15?  Ok, maybe split.  50?  No, locked.

Are bad/good posts intermingled or was there a certain post where it went off the rails?

Roughly .. how hard is it to separate the wheat from the chaff? And .. is it worth it?

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2020, 03:54:13 PM »
Kenosha thread get out of control talking about Kenosha Italian restaurants and comedians?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 04:12:23 PM by NCMUFan »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2020, 07:36:58 PM »
Kenosha thread get out of control talking about Kenosha Italian restaurants and comedians?

I didn't lock it.  And there's plenty about that thread to lock it.  But you're right, I'm guessing one of the other mods hates Italian food.

feedback